Scientist trying to end deafness

About 80-90% of legally blind people are unemployed. 70% of the people who learn Braille have a full-time job. Do the math. Sad, eh? However that is only in North America.

Your statement is true in the Middle East, where blindness is well sought-after for scholars because a lot of the education is done orally, and blind people are notorious for retaining a lot of verbal information.

there you go :)

my argument still holds true... on most part

So you think the OP is a liar and from somewhere else completely?

You have depths I did not suspect, Lighthouse77.

either that or she always abbre. her state. Or just moved there.

Honestly, I think it was a typo that she wasn't aware of. I was just surprised that she say "oops, I misspelled it" when someone asked her about it. I should thought that she could have thought you were from another country is the reason why she didn't mention about her misspell.

The problem with that thinking is... the basis of every culture is the language. That's why so many people are worried about extinct languages especially among First Nations and Native Americans, because the culture is very much attached to their language.

No more deafness, no more need for sign languages to exist. No more ASL... no more Deaf culture.

I don't see it as a double-standard... and I am a "deaf-blind." I suggest you talk to someone in anthropology to understand why it's not a double-standard.

The Indians have used ISL for hundreds of years. Yet, ironic to see that it seems like ASL has hurt ISL's own existence just to promote ASL over ISL.

Kokonut Pundit: ASL is Destroying Indian Sign Language

(which btw, RIT library has referenced that piece - Kokonut Pundit: RIT Library Guide References Kokonut Pundit's blog piece)

More on ISL
Kokonut Pundit: Culture First or Deaf First?

Kokonut Pundit: Tom White Horse in ISL - 1930

To others, it does appear to be a "double standard" when it comes to the cure of blindness over deafness, and vice versa. The problem is the thinking that just because people want to see deafness eradicated doesn't mean that are purposely targeting the eradication of Deaf culture. It'd just be an unfortunate by-product of that biotechnological development.

Most likely so, but then again, when giving that info, don't you usually check it before saving? :hmm:

What the...

Comparing ASL to the sign language systems employed by the natives? Are you nuts? English is the primarily reason why it is disappearing, not ASL. Why? the sign languages created by the natives were intended to overcome communication barriers while trading. :|

Erase the barriers between the different tribes (by forcing them to learn English), and you also erase the sign languages that come with it.

again - see my previous post. Can blind people VERBALLY communicate with the hearing world? If the answer is yes - then there is no double standard going on here. There's no comparison at all. It's apple-orange. Blind people ONLY need to learn how to use braille when reading.... in fact - they do not have to learn how to read anyway. They can just get by in hearing world just by listening and talking. Paralyzed people can do this too. Look at the world - it's full of illiteracy and yet - they can get by.

Deaf people cannot do this. They are at great disadvantage. We depend on ASL and reading. Something that hearing world don't do. :aw:

We've already see what happened to deafies when these wonderful technology were invented. What makes you think this biotechnology (which may or may not happen) can do a miracle?

Beside.... with advanced HA & Cochlear Implant.... why so many inconsistencies among deafies born-deaf? Kinda funny that this problem can be easily fixed with a non-technology tool.... it's called ASL :)

It's a double standard of sorts if one advocates or supports one condition in the hope for a cure but not for another type of condition.

What the...

Comparing ASL to the sign language systems employed by the natives? Are you nuts? English is the primarily reason why it is disappearing, not ASL. Why? the sign languages created by the natives were intended to overcome communication barriers while trading. :|

Erase the barriers between the different tribes (by forcing them to learn English), and you also erase the sign languages that come with it.

just out of curiousity. How would native American say computer in their native language since this is a technology age and new technologies keep popping up. I know deaf have to keep coming up new signs everytime a technology come up.

It's a double standard of sorts if one advocates or supports one condition in the hope for a cure but not for another type of condition.

It is only a double standard if the person sees deafness from a pathological point of view which I do not so it doesnt apply to me.

just out of curiousity. How would native American say computer in their native language since this is a technology age and new technologies keep popping up. I know deaf have to keep coming up new signs everytime a technology come up.

Watch the video in Koko's blog. They had a few interesting ones for telegraphs...

please point out in any of our posts that we do not support the "cure"

The Indians have used ISL for hundreds of years. Yet, ironic to see that it seems like ASL has hurt ISL's own existence just to promote ASL over ISL.

Kokonut Pundit: ASL is Destroying Indian Sign Language

(which btw, RIT library has referenced that piece - Kokonut Pundit: RIT Library Guide References Kokonut Pundit's blog piece)

More on ISL
Kokonut Pundit: Culture First or Deaf First?

Kokonut Pundit: Tom White Horse in ISL - 1930

To others, it does appear to be a "double standard" when it comes to the cure of blindness over deafness, and vice versa. The problem is the thinking that just because people want to see deafness eradicated doesn't mean that are purposely targeting the eradication of Deaf culture. It'd just be an unfortunate by-product of that biotechnological development.

take a guess who eradicated the Indians and its cultures first.

Hint - it was the people who gave them tainted blankets

oh sure, tell these people they are not allow to learn english and not to allow them to learn to read... in english.

Hint 3 - it was the people who garnered them to a tiny piece of land

Hint 4 - it was the people who give them two options: stay on the reservations and keep their native status, or give up their native status if they want to be a part of society

Hint 4 - it was the people who give them two options: stay on the reservations and keep their native status, or give up their native status if they want to be a part of society

I can't think of hint #5

Back