Scientist trying to end deafness

I say committing ourselves to Aliyahs of deafies from India and other countries is a better idea. :giggle:

Do you mean we would immigrate to India instead of Israel????

Did I say to India? :lol: Import them FROM India. ;)

We need some land though. :hmm:

Actually I barely understood what you said except the Jewish Aliyah. So you mean we would get extra Deaf from India and form our separate state?

I reallly like the underground. Sun hurts my eyes.

The majority of the deaf population is late-deafened you say? That's news to me.....:hmm:

The majority of the deaf population is late-deafened you say? That's news to me.....:hmm:

I didn't say "Deaf." ;) I think it's estimated that only one in ten with hearing losses are culturally Deaf?

We really need the NAD's requests for a census to be granted. :\

Botte, you promised me you'd bring Joey and that we can more like him. How quickly you forget! Really, I must have dogs.

To a culturally Deaf person, that statement is like trying to say:

"So our hope is that we can actually end Judaism." Replace that with any other genetic-related ethnicity.

However, considering that majority of the population are deafened later in life... of course scientists would operate from a pathological viewpoint-- that's their target audience. You're right with addressing the problem of... what's going to happen to the pre-lingually deaf.

Yet, does this smell of some sort of superiority over those with blindness or vision problems alone that the eradication of blindness wouldn't be an issue but deafness is? Is it any wonder that there are culturally Deaf people who are interested in seeing this biotechnology develop for the cure of certain forms of deafness? Or the fact many do wear cochlear iimplants? Or even hearing aids? Eradicating deafness doesn't mean to say or equivocate that they want to eradicate Deaf culture any more than the goal of eradicating blindness someday.

Those ninety five percent of the population with hearing loss (30+ million) do not associate themselves with Deaf culture. And it's a sure bet the majority of them would want to see their deafness cured.

I want ewoks. I was promised ewoks.

Chewie&Ewoks.jpg
hope it helps. :D

I didn't say "Deaf." ;) I think it's estimated that only one in ten with hearing losses are culturally Deaf?

We really need the NAD's requests for a census to be granted. :\

1 in 10?

No.

U.S. with 30+ million people with hearing loss mean 3+ million people that are culturally Deaf.

No way.

Where's the link?

Supposed the story changed to "So our hope is that we can actually end blindness," what then? Or "So our hope is that we can actually end spinal paralysis,"? But not deafness?

Yet, does this smell of some sort of superiority over those with blindness or vision problems alone that the eradication of blindness wouldn't be an issue but deafness is? Is it any wonder that there are culturally Deaf people who are interested in seeing this biotechnology develop for the cure of certain forms of deafness? Or the fact many do wear cochlear iimplants? Or even hearing aids? Eradicating deafness doesn't mean to say or equivocate that they want to eradicate Deaf culture any more than the goal of eradicating blindness someday.

Those ninety five percent of the population with hearing loss (30+ million) do not associate themselves with Deaf culture. And it's a sure bet the majority of them would want to see their deafness cured.

ah yes.... as expected from you to spin it to your favor - a very nice curveball you threw there but too bad I batted it to home run. Gooooooooooooooooo yankees!

First of all - this is a very good news for late-deafened people. Secondly - comparing deafness on same level as blindness and paralysis are unfortunately not the same thing because this is about the means of communication. Blind people and Paralyzed people are able to communicate verbally with the hearing world, not the deaf people. When born paralyzed or blind, they develop cognition and intelligence normally like hearing people, not deaf people.

hence..... shel's comment "Of course scientists operate from a medical or pathological view of deafness."

it is unfortunate that you continue to view the negative responses as "deaf pride" attack. We are attacking the "already-proven-as-ineffective" hearing approach to treating those born deaf, not the "cure".

Again - we are always open minded about these wonderful technology like HA, CI, and stem cell research but unfortunately - with these wonderful technology, the hearing people abused the use of technology on us. It's the injustice by hearing people on us deaf people to live up to their standard on their accord. and because of that - we suffered from it. What you think why there are so many deafies who are behind on many levels?

Rather I see it as a double standard of sorts on not minding for the eradication of blindness but objects to when it comes to deafness. This is about those born with a hearing loss that could benefit immediately this biotechnology and those that can benefit from it while older.

Rather I see it as a double standard of sorts on not minding for the eradication of blindness but objects to when it comes to deafness. This is about those born with a hearing loss that could benefit immediately this biotechnology and those that can benefit from it while older.

The problem with that thinking is... the basis of every culture is the language. That's why so many people are worried about extinct languages especially among First Nations and Native Americans, because the culture is very much attached to their language.

No more deafness, no more need for sign languages to exist. No more ASL... no more Deaf culture.

I don't see it as a double-standard... and I am a "deaf-blind." I suggest you talk to someone in anthropology to understand why it's not a double-standard.

Rather I see it as a double standard of sorts on not minding for the eradication of blindness but objects to when it comes to deafness.
again - see my previous post. Can blind people VERBALLY communicate with the hearing world? If the answer is yes - then there is no double standard going on here. There's no comparison at all. It's apple-orange. Blind people ONLY need to learn how to use braille when reading.... in fact - they do not have to learn how to read anyway. They can just get by in hearing world just by listening and talking. Paralyzed people can do this too. Look at the world - it's full of illiteracy and yet - they can get by.

Deaf people cannot do this. They are at great disadvantage. We depend on ASL and reading. Something that hearing world don't do. :aw:

This is about those born with a hearing loss that could benefit immediately this biotechnology and those that can benefit from it while older.
We've already see what happened to deafies when these wonderful technology were invented. What makes you think this biotechnology (which may or may not happen) can do a miracle?

Beside.... with advanced HA & Cochlear Implant.... why so many inconsistencies among deafies born-deaf? Kinda funny that this problem can be easily fixed with a non-technology tool.... it's called ASL :)

again - see my previous post. Can blind people VERBALLY communicate with the hearing world? If the answer is yes - then there is no double standard going on here. There's no comparison at all. It's apple-orange. Blind people ONLY need to learn how to use braille when reading.... in fact - they do not have to learn how to read anyway. They can just get by in hearing world just by listening and talking. Paralyzed people can do this too. Look at the world - it's full of illiteracy and yet - they can get by.

About 80-90% of legally blind people are unemployed. 70% of the people who learn Braille have a full-time job. Do the math. Sad, eh? However that is only in North America.

Your statement is true in the Middle East, where blindness is well sought-after for scholars because a lot of the education is done orally, and blind people are notorious for retaining a lot of verbal information.

Back