RIT/NTID room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, you're the wall because you're way too stubborn to admit that you can make mistakes with your facts. Not surprising because anyone who's immersed into the deaf culture has the same mentality as you do, being stubborn and refusing to concede and accept they made mistakes.

Remember, each time a deaf person in said culture make a mistake and doesn't treat it as such, I will always be right there to correct them. Everyone deserves to know the truth about RIT. Consider me the truth police ;)
What mistake? :dunno:

You're making it sound like you never make a mistake. Now, that's a mistake. ;)

the dance floor is in black/white checkerboard style. all the dancers are hands - no face just a hand as a person. there is a woman in skirt dancing with her boyfriend you can tell by the hands that they are lovers. there is a hand that looks like a fist - a trouble maker? there is a plug but it is not plugged in - silence.

It would be really nice if you can take digital pictures of all the murals and put it online in here.

What is Ritchies???
Ritchies is a place where they have video game consoles hooked up to televisions, a big-screen television for cable and DVDs, a pool table, an air hockey game, etc.

They have games like NES, Xbox, Playstation, Gamecube, etc. I don't know if they have upgraded to Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and/or Wii.

As for the big-screen television, they have a few couches that you can sit on and watch cable... or bring your own DVD to watch with friends.

Everything is done through sign-ups. If no one is there, you can play longer. If there are people there, you play for a time limit... I dunno how long though.

If you were part of a group or something, you could reserve Ritchies for a couple hours for an event or whatever. :)

I think they have free laundry through Ritchies on Thursday nights.

Could you PM me those pictures or the link to those pictures? I would be happy to tell you which one exists in my time. That would bring good memories of NTID. Thanks!

Could you fill me in about William Destler??
Nope. I can't. I'm no longer in Rochester. :(

I pressed a cancel button to put up my post by mistake, and I have to write it again. Grrr.

I wrote my post in the past about the old tunnel from a fraternity building to RIT buildings. Some said that there was never a tunnel in this area. Don't you see that there is a hill between the dormitory and RIT area? That was shut down some years ago due the security reasons.

In years ago, an owner bought a huge swamp for a very cheap price. He developed the RIT campus. He was very smart to find a way to make money. He doesn't care about the animal environment where they used to live. Whatever. If you don't believe me that there was a swamp area, you may see some cattails behind the swimming building or behind an ambulance garage. It is a perfect for you to take some pictures of tall grass with cattails. I don't know about now if they plowed them out for new developments.
I was told by some faculty and staff members that there was never a tunnel.

Some old students did tell me that there was a tunnel there, but when I asked them if they ever actually went through it... they said, "no". That's why it's still questionable.

Did you actually walk through the tunnels from the dorm side to the academic side?

Finally they are doing something about false fire alarms. They were numerous back then. In my SVP, I lived on 11th floor so I did alot of excercises walking down and up stairs after some clown pull fire alarm.

No Alchohol in rooms? Is there a reason for that? Maybe they are tired of rowdy parties. On the other hand, if one is forced to go off campus for some drinks, there will be more drunk driving?
RIT became a dry campus in 1997. Part of the reason was because Al Simone got tired of being the one to tell the parents that their kids died or got hurt in an alcohol-related incident directly on campus.

Right now, there's one place on campus where you can drink alcohol... it's a small bar in the RITZ. There are also a couple classes where you get graded for drinking alcohol... "Beers of the World" and "Wines of the World". That's in another building in a place called Henry's.

Another place are apartments, as long as you are over 21 years of age.

There are very few places in the dorms where alcohol is allowed, but they have special permission for those places.

Does that mean that all of the deaf people are placed in certain dormitory buildings because these certain buildings are the only ones accommodated with strobes, etc? Are there no alcohol and no substances floors in the buildings where deaf people are? I really don't care for substances or alcohol, and I'd rather stay out of that scene. I don't are if it's legal.
All the buildings have strobe lights, just not in every room. The dorm buildings that have strobe lights in every room are... EPB, Gibson, and Sol. Part of Greek Row (Buildings 28, 30, & 32) have strobe lighting too.

They place deaf students in EPB, Gibson, and Sol because it's closest to NTID. They also have deaf RAs on staff (except for Gibson, unless that changed this year). The RAs are also encouraged to learn sign language. They go through sign language workshops every year during training.

Gibson is usually an "Intensified Study" dorm building.

Although all the dorms (except for specific places) do not permit alcohol, there are a few floors that they call "Alcohol Free" or "Substance Free" floors. Those are the floors where the residents do not have to deal with anything related to drugs and alcohol.

For instance, on a regular floor... one might be expected to deal with students who brag about drinking and smoking weed... or walk around the floor drunk and stoned. With the "Substance Free" floor, the residents signed up because they don't like those issues... as well as every other resident. Of course, there might be at least one resident who just doesn't care. No one is perfect. (Although, I think the punishment system is more strict on those floors.)

I once lived on a "21+" floor where all residents were over 21 years of age.

Well, I forgot to mention that I forgot that I found out a bit more how it works with VR and paying my RIT education. Anyway, I think the lady is a bit unsure, but I have read about it a bit in the past and is pretty much how she said it.

She said that if the program I am interested in is offered locally, then they will pay what it cost to attend school here. She said I will have to be responsible for room and board. I may have to take out loans.

Vampyrox, did your VR pay for room and board, too?

I don't know. I think that VR may have rules, but I do believe that VR tweaks the rules a little to accommodate that specific consumer. I could appeal if I wanted to and disagree with their rules, etc.

In my opinion, I think that VR should cover this because this isn't a school that is in every state. This is a different school, and we are lucky that we only pay 1/3 of the tuition cost which is like 17,000 dollars somewhere. It cost about 10,000 dollars to attend a community college, so as you can see it's not too much greater that they shouldn't help cover everything. I think a hearing student pays somewhere around 30,000 dollars.

This is what I heard from a counselor regarding my state and how they pay. I do know a past counselor told me that the rules sometimes are tweaked to meet that person's special need.
During my first quarter, my VR only paid for 50% of everything. When I made the Dean's List, I proved my seriousness of staying in school and convinced my VR to pay for everything... tuition, fees, room, board, books, etc.

This was only up until graduate school. For graduate school, I was on my own. I got through on scholarship, loans, and getting free room & board as a RA.

When I was a student at RIT, I paid a room and board with my own money. Some people are lucky that they don't pay in full for all costs. They had higher SSI which made me pissed off because they buy expensive things during school year. I am aware that some counselors make their judgement by researching their customers' financial. Now, I don't care their SSI anymore. Let them do ever they want for their pleasure. Maybe, some people will end up homeless with no background jobs after they graduate college.
VR support is usually based on a lot of things... the income of your parents (depending on your age; usually up to age 24 or something), your income (work or social security), your grades, your focus in school, your history, etc.

The following reasons why they would give you less or no support are... your parents have too much money, you have too much money, you don't focus well enough in school, you flunk or get low grades, you take leaves of absences, you have alcohol and drug problems, etc.

I once knew a gal who got a lot of money through SSI... but still (supposedly) got full support from VR because the money from SSI went towards her new vehicle that she recently bought as well as a new computer. Yet, she gave up her vehicle because it was too much and she couldn't afford to pay for it monthly... when she was actually squandering everything on clothes (she refused to wear the same outfit more than once or twice) and food (she refused to eat at Gracie's). She lost VR support cuz she changed her major every quarter... and she finally left school.

What about if you have some things that you need to lock up. Don't they have like a locker or a small safety box that you have access to?
The old-style dorms had furniture that allowed students to lock up their belongings with their own lock. Students never really used it, so they didn't include that in their new furniture. If the students are really concerned, they can just hide their belongings. If you suspect that your roommate is going through your things, talk with your roommate and/or your RA about it.

The old-style dorms had furniture that allowed students to lock up their belongings with their own lock. Students never really used it, so they didn't include that in their new furniture. If the students are really concerned, they can just hide their belongings. If you suspect that your roommate is going through your things, talk with your roommate and/or your RA about it.

The old style furniture wasn't really any furniture to begin with. It was a bunch of wooden junk held together with super glue and nails.

What mistake? :dunno:

You're making it sound like you never make a mistake. Now, that's a mistake. ;)

LOL, nice assumption you've got there, Vamp. Too bad it had to make an ass out of you. If you re-read all of my posts in this thread, You'll see that I never said that I did not make any mistake. You're talking like a low-educated deaf person.

Ritchies is a place where they have video game consoles hooked up to televisions, a big-screen television for cable and DVDs, a pool table, an air hockey game, etc.

They have games like NES, Xbox, Playstation, Gamecube, etc. I don't know if they have upgraded to Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and/or Wii.

As for the big-screen television, they have a few couches that you can sit on and watch cable... or bring your own DVD to watch with friends.

Everything is done through sign-ups. If no one is there, you can play longer. If there are people there, you play for a time limit... I dunno how long though.

If you were part of a group or something, you could reserve Ritchies for a couple hours for an event or whatever. :)

I think they have free laundry through Ritchies on Thursday nights.

I wonder why you had to feel like repeating my posts as if they were originally yours. ;)

RIT became a dry campus in 1997. Part of the reason was because Al Simone got tired of being the one to tell the parents that their kids died or got hurt in an alcohol-related incident directly on campus.

Right now, there's one place on campus where you can drink alcohol... it's a small bar in the RITZ. There are also a couple classes where you get graded for drinking alcohol... "Beers of the World" and "Wines of the World". That's in another building in a place called Henry's.

Another place are apartments, as long as you are over 21 years of age.

There are very few places in the dorms where alcohol is allowed, but they have special permission for those places.

Another post that mimicked my earlier post. Tsk, tsk, Vamp. I thought you had more originality than that, Vamp or... should I say Shawn?

All the buildings have strobe lights, just not in every room. The dorm buildings that have strobe lights in every room are... EPB, Gibson, and Sol. Part of Greek Row (Buildings 28, 30, & 32) have strobe lighting too.

They place deaf students in EPB, Gibson, and Sol because it's closest to NTID. They also have deaf RAs on staff (except for Gibson, unless that changed this year). The RAs are also encouraged to learn sign language. They go through sign language workshops every year during training.

Gibson is usually an "Intensified Study" dorm building.

Although all the dorms (except for specific places) do not permit alcohol, there are a few floors that they call "Alcohol Free" or "Substance Free" floors. Those are the floors where the residents do not have to deal with anything related to drugs and alcohol.

For instance, on a regular floor... one might be expected to deal with students who brag about drinking and smoking weed... or walk around the floor drunk and stoned. With the "Substance Free" floor, the residents signed up because they don't like those issues... as well as every other resident. Of course, there might be at least one resident who just doesn't care. No one is perfect. (Although, I think the punishment system is more strict on those floors.)

I once lived on a "21+" floor where all residents were over 21 years of age.

Yet you did not explain to our curious members why the deaf students were split up in 50/50 and one half of the deaf students were re-located to Sol. ;)

LOL, nice assumption you've got there, Vamp. Too bad it had to make an ass out of you. If you re-read all of my posts in this thread, You'll see that I never said that I did not make any mistake. You're talking like a low-educated deaf person.

Hey Hey you and I know that Vamp is educated at RIT/NTID. Sometimes you come across as mean-spirited. Lay off Vamp for giving me more info. He was only expanding on your posts not repeating them.

Now why don't you tell us why half of the deaf students were at Sol?

Hey Hey you and I know that Vamp is educated at RIT/NTID. Sometimes you come across as mean-spirited. Lay off Vamp for giving me more info. He was only expanding on your posts not repeating them.

Now why don't you tell us why half of the deaf students were at Sol?

Newsflash: I was educated at RIT at the same time as Vamp, but I don't subscribe to the b.s. at NTID.

"Mean-spirited?" HA! I just like to challenge deaf people to push them to use their brain. If you and Vamp can't stand the challenge then you both are not using the full capacity of both your brains that God so lovingly gave you two.

What from I know, there were a lot of violence that happened at TA during my absence between 2001 and 2005. Alan Hurwitz and Al Simone got fed up with the usual breakout of violence so half of the TA residents were relocated to Sol.

I really cannot understand why a deaf person released the fire alarm box. The person knows the consequences that would lead a criminal record for rest of his/her life. He/she acts like a child freely without a parent around him/her on the campus. One little mistake makes a big crime.

It should have a meeting one or two times a year for all students to understand the policies and their behavior.

A long time ago, I remember when I was at a Dining Common, I saw a deaf young man immaturely stood up on the top of a round table and shout for no reason. There were some visitors that made them puzzled. I wished that a campus safety takes him to a mental hospital immediately no matter what. He is about 20 years old, and he is an adult, for sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back