Question about SSDI Benefits For baby

You must be mistaken. In order to get an additional benefit for your child, you must be disabled, not your child. Maybe you misunderstand the difference between SSI and SSDI. SSDI is for people who stop working after about 10 years (total of 40 credits required through SS taxes deducted from paychecks) due to their disability. If they have child(ren), they can get an additional benefit for the kids, even the child(ren) is/are not disabled. I will ask my deaf ex-brother-in-law who lives on SSDI and received additional benefits for their hearing daughters until they became 18. If he says that he was not required to submit the proof like you did, obviously you talked about SSI, not SSDI. Big difference. I will let you know after I talk with him.

At the time, my daughter qualified for the SSI and the process was started by the First Steps program and Head Start in Central Missouri. No mistake about it at all. (Sorry, she was on SSI, not SSDI)

Now, I am on SSDI for a disability and she is currently not on anything, but we are making arrangements with VR, then possibly SSDI for her as she is now, also disabled.

I believe that is Supplemental Security Income aka SSI. SSI is for the disability with limited income or resource even though if they were minors or adults. Once SSA learn that you and hubby are working that makes too much after reporting to SSA for the limited income. SSA stop paying you due to the over of limited income and resources. If kids had SSDI benefit then one of parents have been receiving ss disability that won't be affected if one of parents is working. Kids would get SSDI under the parent's benefit until kids reach age 18 then it stop paying.

Right - Got a little confused. Sorry.

That "Lazy" word is old news for welfare crisis during 93'-01' Clinton administration. They called them "lazy welfare moms" recipients. Not SSI/SSDI recipients.
I remember Pres Reagan was the one cutting welfare.

At the time, my daughter qualified for the SSI and the process was started by the First Steps program and Head Start in Central Missouri. No mistake about it at all. (Sorry, she was on SSI, not SSDI)

Now, I am on SSDI for a disability and she is currently not on anything, but we are making arrangements with VR, then possibly SSDI for her as she is now, also disabled.
OK, she was on SSI, not SSDI. Now you mentioned that you are on SSDI, she will be qualified for child benefit under your SSDI. It doesn't matter if she's disabled or not. There should be no problem for you and your daughter. May the force be with you!

I remember Pres Reagan was the one cutting welfare.

Yup and my mother used to support Reagan until 1988 so not anymore after she switched to Democratic Party and voted Dukakis as first time to support Dem.

1992 presidential election was impressed and changed anything.

OK, she was on SSI, not SSDI. Now you mentioned that you are on SSDI, she will be qualified for child benefit under your SSDI. It doesn't matter if she's disabled or not. There should be no problem for you and your daughter. May the force be with you!

Well - she is now 18, so I don't think it could be under me.

Rigjt for now. Have she ever apply for ss disability now? Just ask ssa to see if shes eligible for ssi on her own??? Ok it never hurt to check with ssa.

Oh, okay, like FF said, your daughter can apply for SSI if she's legally disabled and has no or low income. I did when I went to NTID. Alot of hearing students have to work to support themselves while studying so deaf students are very lucky.

I have a question again....

should I bring my daughter with birth certificate and social security at social security office?

or I don't have to bring my daughter. just bring birth certificate and social security at social security office?

That's reason why, my ex gf think I shouldn't bring my daughter at social security office because I dont know if they need a proof and see my daughter.

should I bring my daughter with birth certificate and social security at social security office?

or I don't have to bring my daughter. just bring birth certificate and social security at social security office?

That's reason why, my ex gf think I shouldn't bring my daughter at social security office because I dont know if they need a proof and see my daughter.
If you plan to apply for child benefit on SSDI that you may already receive, they only need your daughter's birth certificate and SS card. They don't need to see her in person. She may be also eligible for SSI if she's disabled as long as you have a low income so a proof of her disability is also required.

Social Security Publications

If your child is disabled

Your child can continue to receive benefits after age 18 if he or she has a disability that begins before age 22. Your child also may qualify for SSI disability benefits. Contact us for more information.

Are you saying ex-gf? Does she sue you for child support? I'm confused. First place, you said "gf" from your #1 topic.

Last edited:

bring your duaghter? what kind of a question is that? either you dont mind the company or have no sitter. Do you want to wait in the room full of other people there till its your turn? having a baby in person for proof is not what they ask for . They need documents. period. If you are not sure - call the 900 number before going in. there is a chance you can do this over the phone. You really should have done this as soon your child is born and as soon the SS, and birth certs came in you go back with it and show it to them.

Look at it this way - if you died today, and you didnt do it yet? this means you setup your child for a hard life without survivor benefits. come on man - you got bigger fish to fry then getting extra money. Go get it done so you can pay for the kid diapers and clothing.

I wonder if you'll have you prove it is your baby through a DNA test before you can get ssdi as you said it is your g/f baby. I know you mean the baby is your too, but I am thinking about the SS office , I just wonder what kind of questions they ask unmarried couples.

bottom line is that the daughter resident to live with you under the same roof. If your daughter not under the same roof, you can not get that benefit for payee for daughter's payee. Again, it no require for proof unless you have daughter live with you.

Since you say ex-girlfriend, I am not going ask you further question... It just base on if your daughter live with you and then they can helps you.

bottom line is that the daughter resident to live with you under the same roof. If your daughter not under the same roof, you can not get that benefit for payee for daughter's payee. Again, it no require for proof unless you have daughter live with you.

Since you say ex-girlfriend, I am not going ask you further question... It just base on if your daughter live with you and then they can helps you.
My female friend who has a job received the child benefit under her ex-husband's SSDI monthly, even though the child didn't live with the father. In other words, SSA sends checks to the child monthly wherever the child lives until the child becomes 18. That's the law under SSA.

just found out my daughter will be born on Dec. 31, 2012. will it affect on my ssdi because of tax??

just found out my daughter will be born on Dec. 31, 2012. will it affect on my ssdi because of tax??

I do not understand how will effect on the TAX if you are on SSDI. SSDI is not taxable... but if you have a actually job and still use SSDI, since job is taxable.

Only problem is on Dec 31, 2012 that tax effect is child tax, because it already reduced, mean you will wait file that child credit in 2014.

Back