Question about SEE/ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have masters in language arts. That wouldn't change your point of view, would it?

That master's is for English, isn't it? You can have a master's in English and still not know diddly squat about ASL.

The sign for something does not equal the English word.

The sign for something equals the object in question. Therefore, ASL can have whatever grammar it ends up taking on--in this case, what you describe as "broken English."

SEE is an invented mode for a language that was originally meant to be spoken.

ASL is a naturally developed signed language. It's possible to write or speak ASL, but there's no official form for either of those because the language wasn't meant to be written or spoken. That's why people often write English words for signs if they write ASL. It's not because ASL is English, because it's not.

I don't care which came first. SEE is a language. ASL is a language. SEE is a recognized language by the Supreme court. It's even taught in universities as language credit.
For someone with an English degree, don't you remember the rules on capitalization? :roll: Please give citation for the Supreme Court decision. Since you are "Google" that shouldn't be too hard.

Colleges might teach SEE as a class but as a language? Doubtful. Please post the list of colleges and universities that teach SEE as a language.

You should have taken a course in personal relations and become certified PR.
What exactly do you mean? I don't want to misunderstand you.

:laugh2: Master's degree? I don't think this poster has even earned a high school diploma yet.:lol:
Want some peanut butter for that jelly?

Wait, you wouldn't understand this because it isn't ASL.

Allow me to simplify.

Are you jealous?

University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

I'll get back to you about the source for SEE being recognized language by Supreme court. It's in one of the books I have.

Yes, I kind of did. About $25,000 a year. Some classes were online.

Now I know what your problem is. UT?:laugh2: Go Big Orange!:laugh2: And you are talking about speaking English? I lived in Tn for 20 years, and what they speak doesn't even approach standard English! Especially not in East Tn.

First off, ASL is a visual language because ASL uses conceptual signs.

Do you realize Thomas Gallaudet tried to find someone who willed to teach kids in a sign language? Too bad, Gallaudet had a hard time to find someone because Europeans refused to help. Even Gallaudet did talk to that England person but no luck. They thought sign languages were unnatural or bizarre because sign languages are inferior to spoken languages in the past. So it ended up he met Laurent Clerc and he was willed to help.

While it is true that Modern ASL and FSL share some elements, including a substantial amount of vocabulary. That is why they agreed to mix up with English signs and French signs. But ASL do have more English signs than French signs. But does it means ASL is English? No. ASL is a visual language because it has its purpose for help kids to communicate better.

No wonder, a few people said ASL should move to Canada, just because it is from French. =/

It is true that the first sign system here in the states was inspired by, and based on the French signing system. In fact that system was initialized as well, similiar to SEE. Example, the sign for "see" is 'V' coming from your eyes. The French word for "see" is Voir.

Before there was "ASL" it was "sign language" and from that signed language, ASL and SEE were both developed. They both drew from the original sign language.

Want some peanut butter for that jelly?

Wait, you wouldn't understand this because it isn't ASL.

Allow me to simplify.

Are you jealous?

Jealous of a UT student? You have to be kidding! BTW...I'm hearing, you jerk!:laugh2:

I'll add to that by saying it was a good thing they weren't able to observe the schools in England, as they operated from an Oral philosophy whereas the French used sign language. Everything happens for a reason, andvthank goodness the model here in the states wasn't based on an Oral philosophy.

It is true that the first sign system here in the states was inspired by, and based on the French signing system. In fact that system was initialized as well, similiar to SEE. Example, the sign for "see" is 'V' coming from your eyes. The French word for "see" is Voir.

Before there was "ASL" it was "sign language" and from that signed language, ASL and SEE were both developed. They both drew from the original sign language.

You are very mistaken. LSF does not resemble SEE in any way shape or form. No more than ASL does. SEE stole signs from ASL, not the other way around. Therefore, SEE is an MCE that has bastardized ASL. SEE was developed years after ASL.

I'll add to that by saying it was a good thing they weren't able to observe the schools in England, as they operated from an Oral philosophy whereas the French used sign language. Everything happens for a reason, andvthank goodness the model here in the states wasn't based on an Oral philosophy.

Braidwood. They wanted to keep the money for themselves so to keep their teaching methodology secret.

Ameslan before ASL.

That master's is for English, isn't it? You can have a master's in English and still not know diddly squat about ASL.

The sign for something does not equal the English word.

The sign for something equals the object in question. Therefore, ASL can have whatever grammar it ends up taking on--in this case, what you describe as "broken English."

SEE is an invented mode for a language that was originally meant to be spoken.

ASL is a naturally developed signed language. It's possible to write or speak ASL, but there's no official form for either of those because the language wasn't meant to be written or spoken. That's why people often write English words for signs if they write ASL. It's not because ASL is English, because it's not.
I thought the ASL sign for homosexual that I learned at MSSD was the same as the English word homosexual and I learned that sign before I learned the English word. The ASL sign that I learned refers to male homosexuals so I thought that homeosexuals only referred to males. I didn't find my mistake out till I was in my early 20s.

The sign in question is done with using a handshape similar to the one used for favorite except that you start at your the top of your forehead and move it to the top and then to the neck.

University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Link please to that course.

I'll get back to you about the source for SEE being recognized language by Supreme court. It's in one of the books I have.
Uh, huh.

Yes, I kind of did. About $25,000 a year. Some classes were online.
You should sue them for a refund.

This is exactly what I mean. Deaf people cannot read. Someone asked me for source. I gave him UT as source. UT teaches SEE as a credit for language.

Idiot. You can't write clearly. It looked as if you said UT was where your degree was from.

You are very mistaken. LSF does not resemble SEE in any way shape or form. No more than ASL does. SEE stole signs from ASL, not the other way around. Therefore, SEE is an MCE that has bastardized ASL.

I remember that I met some Deaf French many years ago in Scotland. While I understond much of what they said to me I got confused when they asked about angels till it dawned on me they were asking me if I flew from USA to Scotland.

This is exactly what I mean. Deaf people cannot read. Someone asked me for source. I gave him UT as source. UT teaches SEE as a credit for language.

Dumb ass. I'm a hearing Ph.D.:laugh2:

I just accessed their website. I then accessed course offerings and course descriptions. You are again lying.

can't find it. source please?

I remember that I met some Deaf French many years ago in Scotland. While I understond much of what they said to me I got confused when they asked about angels till it dawned on me they were asking me if I flew from USA to Scotland.

Yes. LSF more closely resembles ASL, not SEE. Had you started signing in English word order, you would not have been able to communicate with them, since spoken French does not even follow English syntax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back