Question about SEE/ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I went to Penn State.

which one is it? Penn State or University of Tennessee? or neither?

Yes. LSF more closely resembles ASL, not SEE. Had you started signing in English word order, you would not have been able to communicate with them, since spoken French does not even follow English syntax.

If they had used French with me, I woudn't have understood them.

Sign Language - History of Sign Language

"What we call American Sign Language actually has roots in Europe. It is also known that in the 18th century, the teacher of the deaf Abbe de l'Epee of France developed an early form of sign language that contributed to American Sign Language. The Abbe de l'Epee developed a system of manual French similar in concept to Signed Exact English."

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jiro asked me for source, I gave him UT as source. I went to Penn State, idiot.

Unfortunate that you did not take advantage of your time there to learn to organize your writing style.

which one is it? Penn State or University of Tennessee? or neither?
I went to Penn State. That was my school.

The source is from University of Tennessee. It was back in 1997. I'll google it for you, one moment.

Edit: http://www.deafed.net/publisheddocs/sub/970723e.htm

Of the programs that do choose to use signed communication, a number of signing systems are available. Among the most commonly used in the United States are Exact Signed English (ESE), Seeing Essential English (SEE I), Signing Exact English (SEE II), and American Sign Language (ASL).

I went to Penn State. That was my school.

The source is from University of Tennessee. It was back in 1997. I'll google it for you, one moment.
1997! You gotta be kidding! :laugh2:

Apparently the university has wised up since then.

Well, if ASL is not a language because it is not English or it "is" French, then what are you suggest something? SEE is no help because it is not a visual language.

I seriously doubt that SEE was ever taught for a language credit. Too many universities won't even give language credit for ASL and it is a language.

I just happen to have a brochure from various universities. I grabbed UT brochure and see SEE course offered as language credit. I'll be more than happy to mail it to you.

The Deaf community did not need a savior to bring them ASL. Like most languages, ASL is a living, evolving entity created by a culture over time.

Who Invented Sign Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back