Profoundly deaf man scores over 90% speech recognition with hearing aids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The auditory nerve is the 8th cranial nerve, and pathology of the 8th canial nerve has already been stated by me as a primary cause of sensorineural deafness. In an individual with normal hearing, the 8th cranial nerve extends from the inner ear to the brain stem. Sound stimuli is picked up in the 8th cranial nerve, which then transmits it to the brainstem, where the brainstem then sends the stimuli to the auditory processing center in the brain where it is processed to meaning.

In pathology of the 8th cranial nerve, leading to sensorineural deafness, the
8th cranial nerve is damaged, and therefore, is unable to transmit sound stimuli to the brainstem. Because the nerve itself has not transmitted the sound stimuli to the brainstem, it is never reached in the auditory processing center. However, that is not a neurological problem. It is the pathology of the nerve that is responsible for the lack of sound stimuli being received in the brain. As the 8th cranial nerve has long been identified as a causative agent in sensorineural deafness, everything I have said is supported, whether the damage to the nerve is where it attaches to the inner ear, or whether the problem with the nerve is where it attaches to the brain stem. It is still the 8th cranial nerve that is responsible.:roll:

Yes, the auditory nerve is the 8th carnial nerve, but where your statements go wrong is that you ignore the fact that connections at the brain stem its self is not in the inner ear its self. You blatantly ignore the fact that damage at or to that connection, regardless of the cause, can still result in SN hearing loss.

Lets get back on topic.

Hard to stay on topic with Jillio here!!!!!!! Most people on here, and she is not one of them, will let things be or concede to certain facts that contradict them.

Hard to stay on topic with Jillio here!!!!!!! Most people on here, and she is not one of them, will let things be or concede to certain facts that contradict them.
Actually, she's not one to let any misinformation stand. And it seems that you're misinformed on CAPD and other stuff. jillio has her facts straight here.

Yes, the auditory nerve is the 8th carnial nerve, but where your statements go wrong is that you ignore the fact that connections at the brain stem its self is not in the inner ear its self. You blatantly ignore the fact that damage at or to that connection, regardless of the cause, can still result in SN hearing loss.

The statement was that sensorineural hearing loss was the result of pathology in the inner ear, and/or the result of pathology in the 8th cranial nerve. If the problem occurs where the 8th cranial nerve connects to the brainstem, the the problem is the result of pathology in the 8the cranial nerve. If the problem arises after the 8th cranial nerve has tranmitted sound stimuli into the brain, such as in the central processing centers, the problem is a neurological one. And the cause is what determines the diagnosis.

Sorry. I can't concede to incorrect information. And you can stop replying to me anytime you choose.:shrug:

Actually, she's not one to let any misinformation stand. And it seems that you're misinformed on CAPD and other stuff. jillio has her facts straight here.

Thank you, deafskeptic. I see no reason why people should be led to believe things that are innacurrate.

BTW...sorry for going off topic, deafdude. But like you, I am a proponent of accuracy.

I originally said nothing about capd. She's the one who brought that up. So how exactly am I miss-informed on capd?

Like I already stated, damage to the auditory connection at the brainstem its self is still defined as a cause Sensorineural hearing loss. My sources more then confirm that too. My sources are more then valid and authoritative as they are published by creditable health care professionals and orgnazations. The fact that she doesnt like them or disagrees with them does not change that either!!!!!!!

Labeling stuff neurological as she continues to do is meaningless too. Damage to the cochlear nerve in the inner ear its self, for example, could also be labeled neurological in nature. Things neurological is not specifically the brain its self, the center of the nervous system, its anything to do with the nervous system as a whole. Neurology (from Greek νεῦρον, neuron, "nerve"; and -λογία, -logia)

Last edited:

Like I already stated, damage to the auditory connection at the brainstem its self is still defined as a cause Sensorineural hearing loss. My sources more then confirm that too. My sources are more then valid and authoritative as they are published by creditable health care professionals and orgnazations. The fact that she doesnt like them or disagrees with them does not change that either!!!!!!!

Labeling stuff neurological as she continues to do is meaningless too. Damage to the cochlear nerve in the inner ear its self, for example, could also be labeled neurological in nature. Things neurological is not specifically the brain its self, the center of the nervous system, its anything to do with the nervous system as a whole. Neurology (from Greek νεῦρον, neuron, "nerve"; and -λογία, -logia)

Last edited:
wow touchy are we...jillio can say someone offered legal advise who IS a lawyer and u have medical info from a credited professional as u say but her advice is moot because u say u choose to ignore it or watever..so she shud ignore ur sources too then!?

wow touchy are we...jillio can say someone offered legal advise who IS a lawyer

A lawyer in my state who has not pased the bar cannot give legal advise. Its unethical and illegal.

That's because damange at the connection is the result of a damaged auditory nerve (e.g. 8th cranial nerve). Pathology in the 8th cranial nerve has already been identified as being an etiology of sensorineural hearing loss. You don't seem to understand the difference between 8th cranial nerve etiology and neurological conditions that result in processing disorders. Quite obviously, you don't seem to comprehend the phrase "connection at the brain stem."

Labeling ths neurological has she continues to do is meaningless too. Damage to the cochlear nerve in the inner ear its self, for example, could also be labeled neurological in nature. Things neurological is not specifically the brain its self, the center of the nervous system, its anything to do with the nervous system as a whole. Neurology (from Greek νεῦρον, neuron, "nerve"; and -λογία, -logia)

I didn't label 8th cranial nerve pathology (no matter where along the nerve the pathology occurs) as neurological. The brain stem, and the connection of the 8th cranial nerve to the brainstem, is not a central auditory processing center. I said disorders occuring with processing in the auditory centers of the brain are nuerological in classification.

Damage to the cochlea is not neurological. The nerve in that transfers auditory stimuli from the cochlea is the 8th cranial nerve. The mechanism that transfers the same stimuli to the 8th cranial nerve are the cillia. I can break it down even further from the actual auditory stimuli being captured from the outer ear, and directed to the cochlea, but it seems rather futile since you keep twisting what I am saying.

When you quote Wiki, you need to cite it as your source. (i.e. your last sentence is a direct cut and paste).

Sensoineural hearing loss is not a neurological disorder either by definition nor classification.

There are more than 600 neurologic diseases. Major types include

Diseases caused by faulty genes, such as Huntington's disease and muscular dystrophy
Problems with the way the nervous system develops, such as spina bifida
Degenerative diseases, where nerve cells are damaged or die, such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease
Diseases of the blood vessels that supply the brain, such as stroke
Injuries to the spinal cord and brain
Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
Cancer, such as brain tumors
infections, such as meningitis

MedlinePlus: Neurologic Diseases

No where is deafness included in this list of the various major types of neurological disorders.

I didn't label 8th cranial nerve pathology (no matter where along the nerve the pathology occurs) as neurological.

Go back and reread what I typed. I never stated you labeled 8th cranial nerve as "neurological".

Nor did I say you did. However, you did keep using the word "neurological" over and over again in reference to the examples I gave.

You really need to go back and re-read your own posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back