Profoundly deaf man scores over 90% speech recognition with hearing aids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conductive hearing loss affects the outer and middle ear while sensorineural hearing loss affects the inner ear.

Charlotte,

I'm pretty certain that people with conductive hearing loss only cannot receive a CI.

Charlotte,

I'm pretty certain that people with conductive hearing loss only cannot receive a CI.

Thats what I thought too. Is there something I am not making sense...

All I understand is conductive = middle ear loss (and you said already outer ear aswell) = BAHA or Hearing aids

Sensorineural = Inner ear loss = CI or Hearing aids

A BAHA person can have CI if they progressed to sensorineural loss. CI is not for conductive loss. Does that make sense??...

Apologises if i have confused anyone. :grouphug:

Thats what I thought too. Is there something I am not making sense...

All I understand is conductive = middle ear loss (and you said already outer ear aswell) = BAHA or Hearing aids

Sensorineural = Inner ear loss = CI or Hearing aids

A BAHA person can have CI if they progressed to sensorineural loss. CI is not for conductive loss. Does that make sense??...

Apologises if i have confused anyone. :grouphug:

Charlotte,

Everything in your post is correct. :)

Thanks Hun, I have been sick for 2 days and my head is bit of a mush at the moment. Glad to say I am feeling alot better since yesterday.

I'm sorry you've been sick, but am happy you're feeling better now! :D

In the meantime, here's a link about what kind of hearing loss is treated with CIs.

My thoughts are conductive loss are where middle ear problems lies and sensorineural is inner ear as in cochlea and it's nerves.

You are quite right. As I explained in my post, my hearing loss is largely conductive due to the damage to my middle ears caused by surgery and infection. However, as mentioned in another post, a profound loss is still a profound loss regardless of the cause.

sensorineural hearing loss affects the inner ear.

NOT true! If the central processing centers of the brain are damaged there will be sensorineural hearing loss. That has nothing to do with the inner ear though.

How exactly is it not true?

Vestibulocochlear nerve (cranial nerve 8 ) and the brain could also be the cause and not only the inner ear for sensory neural loss.

Vestibulocochlear nerve (cranial nerve 8 ) and the brain could also be the cause and not only the inner ear for sensory neural loss.

Absolutely. 8th cranial nerve is involved in sensorineural loss. The 8th cranial nerve is stimulated through the inner ear, however.

Read my previous post.

Ahh, I see you added to it. If the problem is with the actual processing in the brain of aural stimuli, then it is a neurological problem, as in CAPD. In order for it to be a sensorineural etiology, the aural stimuli cannot reach the processing centers, as in 8th cranial nerve damage as Bott cited.

Ahh, I see you added to it. If the problem is with the actual processing in the brain of aural stimuli, then it is a neurological problem, as in CAPD. In order for it to be a sensorineural etiology, the aural stimuli cannot reach the processing centers, as in 8th cranial nerve damage as Bott cited.

It's still sensorneural hearing loss as damage to nerves and/or nerve cells are the main cause for the hearing loss.

Furthermore, what I stated is consistent with where sensorneural hearing loss is or can occur. See: Icd 10 H90.3, ICD-9 389.1, H90.5, DiseasesDB 2874, MeSH D006319.

Oh, and please try reading what I actually type. I said nothing about capd or auditory disorders nor did I use words that could be inferred as meaning the same thing or having the same meaning.

Last edited:
It's still sensorneural hearing loss as damage to nerves and/or nerve cells are the main cause for the hearing loss.

Furthermore, what I stated is consistent with where sensorneural hearing loss is or can occur. See: Icd 10 H90.3, ICD-9 389.1, H90.5, DiseasesDB 2874, MeSH D006319.

Oh, and please try reading what I actually type. I said nothing about capd or auditory disorders nor did I use words that could be inferred as meaning the same thing or having the same meaning.

I did read what you wrote:

If the central processing centers of the brain are damaged

That is why I said if it is a processing problem in the brain, it is neurological, as in CAPD. It is only sensorineural if the auditory information cannot be transmitted to the brain via the 8th cranial nerve. As long as the 8th cranial nerve is intact, and the stimuli are reaching the brain, where the processing breaks down, it is not a sensorineural deafness.

I did read what you wrote:

If the central processing centers of the brain are damaged

That is why I said if it is a processing problem in the brain, it is neurological, as in CAPD. It is only sensorineural if the auditory information cannot be transmitted to the brain via the 8th cranial nerve. As long as the 8th cranial nerve is intact, and the stimuli are reaching the brain, where the processing breaks down, it is not a sensorineural deafness.

I addressed the centers themselves and not any specific disorder in the processing at these centers. Furthermore, Capd is not the only thing that can occur with or in these centers that would result in hearing loss. Therefore, your statements about these centers are still wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back