Poll for Deaf People: Which sign language you use? ASL, PSE, SEE, etc...

Poll for Deaf people. Which sign language you use?

• Total voters
I picked PSE, since that's what I use, even with my hearing husband. You see, I grew up with SEE and then drifted off into PSE, which I see as a cross between ASL and SEE. For example, while I generally put signs in the same order as English, I don't use unnecessary words like "a", "the', "to" or tense endings. I guess you could say I sign using the grammar of The Incredible Hulk. ;-)

I picked PSE, since that's what I use, even with my hearing husband. You see, I grew up with SEE and then drifted off into PSE, which I see as a cross between ASL and SEE. For example, while I generally put signs in the same order as English, I don't use unnecessary words like "a", "the', "to" or tense endings. I guess you could say I sign using the grammar of The Incredible Hulk. ;-)

Perfect example of the contact between cultures that created PSE.

Most AllDeaf members are certainly not "deaf enough." Okay, that's just sour grapes 'cause I can't hear a fire cracker under my chair, heh heh. I really do wish I were back to being hard-of-hearing. Life wasn't a bowl of cherries, but it was easier.

I hate to apply logic to the question posed, but I sign ASL to my sister and other deafies for whom it's their primary language. For most deafies and near-deafies who speak English, I use SEE.

I have no preference for either. Just like when we write, it's our audience that should dictate the medium.

ASL and PSE... Voted mixture.

When I voice and sign... it leans more toward PSE... when I just sign it leans more towards ASL with some PSE involved.... Growing up in the hearing culture and learning that SEE is just not my personal choice of sign made me realize that I love PSE.

I used all. I grew up with SEE - it helped me lot with my writing... then Now I use ASL / PSE

Fluent in Auslan - this thread doesn't really apply to Australians, but whatever.

My ASL skills is really rusty... haven't used ASL to an extent since the Deaflympics in Melbourne.

??? What are you talking about, Jake?

I grew up using Signed English, and picked up on Auslan when I moved to Sydney as a young teenager.

I thought Gibbish was some kind of spoken language, no?

If you're from the Lord of the Rings, that might be counted as a spoken language :P

But no, it doesn't really count.

ASL. SEE is officially dead. I would care less if they think SEE is that educated. ASL is, in fact, is very educational and it is definitely, in no words to explain, beautiful yet strong language to ANYONE!

To any SEE signers, no offense. Don't take it to heart. Don't worry, I still respect your preference towards whichever you chose.

ASL! Period.

Couple questions if you care to answer: Would it be better if there was only one global sign language ? Is there benefits of having different sign languages for different countries? How much the sign language of a particular country is linked to hearing language of the same country?

At the end what I am trying to figure out is, if there are good technical reasons for having more than one sign languages or if its a political issue like different countries wanted to have their own.

Thank you
Hermes

Couple questions if you care to answer: Would it be better if there was only one global sign language ? Is there benefits of having different sign languages for different countries? How much the sign language of a particular country is linked to hearing language of the same country?

At the end what I am trying to figure out is, if there are good technical reasons for having more than one sign languages or if its a political issue like different countries wanted to have their own.

Thank you
Hermes

Signed langauges are linked to the spoken languages of the same country. Its not political. Its cultural.

Back