Political Move Cave-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back Breaking Labor. Extreme conditions.
Try these

1) twelve hour days
2) seven day weeks
3) work every holiday
4) work night shift
5) no a/c and no heat
6) work in rain/snow/hurricanes
7) lift and carry 70 lbs.

I could go on (and I've not listed the dicriminations against the deaf) but unless you were there you can't understand. All postal workers earn every penny of their benefits, nothing was giving to them. They are not laughing their way to the bank but suffering in their retirement from many ills. I know because I suffer and get with others and hear about their sufferings.

You are saying that you worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week, every holiday? Sorry, but those hours are illegal. You would have had no time off whatsoever.:roll:

A lot of people work the night shift. Nothing extreme about that. And those who work the night shift receive a pay differential for working the night shift.

Were you outside during these hurricanes? Rain and snow are not extreme weather conditions. The majority of the American workforce has to deal with rain and snow.

In other words, you worked no harder than the average American. You are not special.

It is related to the fact that all over America there are workers who have earn every penny of their benefits and those workers are who keep America strong and on-going. Once again I must make clear that not all who are on entitlement are not worthy but those who are unworthy of what they are receiving know who they are. Like I said, a person could go on an entitlement (say workman comp.) and that is what the program is for. But it is never meant to be permanent.

Forgetting entitlements for the moment, why would you even have to ask: "should receive any kind of compensation without physically working for it"? I would call a compensation without work and/or obligation "a gift" but only if it was giving correctly. The taxpayers (really the working people but I'll admit there are those not working who are still taxpayers.....after all I'm one of them! Yes, even in retirement I still pay tax) can't not afford "gifts". We are $15 trillion in the hole like it is.

You keep talking about "entitlement". What exactly are you calling an "entitlement"?

They are relevant to show that in retirement I am not being GIVEN anything by the government but I have EARN every penny of my pension and insurance coverage.

You had ask in another post: which entitlements

The simple answer is there is no "bad" entitlement but abused entitlement.
There are those to help people in a need and, sometimes, to get back on their feet. But they are not meant to be permanent.

To give you an example:

When I join USPS we had 238 deaf that were hired under the Presidental (Nixon) Program to put people to work from governement support (as it was called then). Not only the USPS but other federal agencys hired not only deaf but others too. Now of this group that I worked with, and 99% I had never seen before because they were younger and we had no ASL social in those days, almost every one of them came from SSDI/SSI (I have already stated that in my lifetime I have nere had SSDI/SSI). In those days, it was like $300-$400 a month. Now they had the opportunity to EARN over $1000 a month. That....EARN...was the problem. They were use to having everything giving to them. Within six months, more than half had left the USPS (see the list of back-breaking reasons I posted) and within one year there were 57 of us still working. Through the years I've heard from the ones who quit early and they never looked back because they stayed on SSDI/SSI all their life. Now I'm not saying SSDI/SSI is a "bad" entitlement (yes, I do know some hearing people on them) but there are many that I know who stay on them for the simple reason they don"t care to work.....note, yes htere are those that can't work (for whatever reason) but there are many that WON'T work. Go back to some of my old post and look up CRR here in Houston. I have tried my best to help the deaf to get a meanful job but I and the staff of CRR have experienced much heartbreak because the deaf will not apply themself to learning nor to using what they learn.
Yes, I have explained using the deaf as an example but I know fully well (and so should everyone else) there in the general population of America there are many, many who are abusing the programs and, for that reason, we all must show disgust.

You are truly lacking in understanding regarding how SSI and SSDI work. You cannot draw SSDI unless you have paid into the system, and then your benefit amount is based on the amount you have paid in. SSDI is not a gift. One has to have worked and paid into the system in order to even qualify for SSDI. :roll:

Yes, but there was no choice. You seem to forget that government workers are under a different standard of labor than private workers. Yes, we had a union but their hands were tied,unlike the autoworker and other privatie unions. Of course, you have to look at the times.....1970's until 2000's.....
and down through the years things did get better but it was still strictly speaking hard.

I'm sure the Department of Justice would be very interested in these labor laws that were broken. :cool2: It is surprising indeed, with all the advocacy you claimed to have done, that you would have just let these violations go without doing something about it.:cool2:

I already did above....SSDI/SSI......I'm not saying that everyone on those two are unworthy but those who are know they are because they would rather get them than work......yes, as I said before, there are people who, for whatever reason, CAN'T WORK but those are far fewer that those that WON'T WORK.

Again, you cannot draw SSDI without having worked and paid into the system. Those benefits are earned, just like you claim yours are.:cool2: Nor is it easy to qualify for SSDI. There has to be a proven, permanent disability that prevents work of any kind from being performed. The medical exams are rigorous.

You are saying that you worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week, every holiday? Sorry, but those hours are illegal. You would have had no time off whatsoever.:roll:

A lot of people work the night shift. Nothing extreme about that. And those who work the night shift receive a pay differential for working the night shift.

Were you outside during these hurricanes? Rain and snow are not extreme weather conditions. The majority of the American workforce has to deal with rain and snow.In other words, you worked no harder than the average American. You are not special.

Mathematically speaking, he would have had 12 hours a day 7 days a week off. :)

I think the bold is probably incorrect as well unless you are talking about commutes.

In SC, Workman's Comp for a workplace injury lasts only three years per incident.

Workman's Comp is time limited in all areas of the country. And, the employer has to be paying into workman's comp for an employee to be eligible for workman's comp payments, including medical bills. Workman's comp is not a "free entitlement."

Tightened and the standards should be re-evaluated. Why should a deaf person be on permanent SSDI/SSI for the ONLY reason of being deaf!
We need to realize the deaf CAN and SHOULD hold a job. Discrimination should be a thing of the past and we must continue the fight to get the deaf employeed and fairly employed. I would also say this about any hearing person. All Americans deserve the opportunity of a job where they can EARN a living. Those, for whatever reason and I do sympatize, can not perform labor at all are certainly worthy of the programs set up to help them. The standards need to be tightened and re-evaluated.

You are proposing that the standards be tightened up and re-evaluated, but you obviously don't even know what the current standards are.:cool2: How can you propose to tighten something that you are unaware of?

SSI is not intended to be permanent, nor has it ever been intended to be permanent assistance. It is time limited, as well, and it's purpose is to provide assistance while an individual trains for and finds employment. You might want to read a bit about the Workforce Investment Act.

I think the bold is probably incorrect as well unless you are talking about commutes.

DPW crews, plow/tow man, medical staffs, emergency crews, airports, Wall Street, stores, and my brother & his team. no such thing as snow day for my brother which is why I had to drive for him.

Let's see you say that during a blizzard.
Isn't commuting part of a worker's life?

You are truly lacking in understanding regarding how SSI and SSDI work. You cannot draw SSDI unless you have paid into the system, and then your benefit amount is based on the amount you have paid in. SSDI is not a gift. One has to have worked and paid into the system in order to even qualify for SSDI. :roll:

20 work credits over a 10 year period. They would have to earn roughly $6,000/yr 5 out of 10 years to qualify. Granted, their benefits would be small until health kicked in. Hardly the same as an employee who worked full time plus overtime for 38 years.

DPW crews, plow/tow man, medical staffs, emergency crews, airports, Wall Street, stores, and my brother & his team. no such thing as snow day for my brother which is why I had to drive for him.

Maybe you missed my second sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back