I started as a distribution/LSM clerk
Then sectional center/parcel post clerk
Then FSM clerk
Then window service clerk
Then special/express delivery clerk
Then SPBS clerk
Then expitior
Finally retirement

I sued, through EEOC, the USPS for discrimination for the deaf group and won a settlement for all the deaf workers to receive ASL interpreters for all necessary communication between the deaf and management. Also sued to receive TTY and later VP. In all, I had six cases of discrimination settled in favor of the deaf group against USPS, never once did I do this for myself.
If you look above to the window service clerk, that is one where I became the first deaf to preform at position. Before all deeaf that bid on the position were denied their bid, even if they had senority. After me, several other deaf around the nation where allow to bid with qulifications and we successful in earning the position. My last year, 2009, I had three heart surgeries from all this labor and just resently I had another. Yes, I will admit I could of taken better care of myself. The hardship all postal workers go through cause errors of judgement but I do think I did well to plan for retirement and I have earned my keep.

These things are all good. but I don't follow why they are relevant?

I re-read back and I see now why you post this information. However I am still confused how this relates to unfair entitlements. I admit, I don't know what the working environments for post office workers. Are you saying that historically the post office treats it's employees unfairly? and you feel that because you had to work your butt off 7 days a week with 10 hour days that no one else should receive any kind of compensation without physically working for it? Am I understanding your point of view?

I re-read back and I see now why you post this information. However I am still confused how this relates to unfair entitlements. I admit, I don't know what the working environments for post office workers. Are you saying that historically the post office treats it's employees unfairly? and you feel that because you had to work your butt off 7 days a week with 10 hour days that no one else should receive any kind of compensation without physically working for it? Am I understanding your point of view?

It is related to the fact that all over America there are workers who have earn every penny of their benefits and those workers are who keep America strong and on-going. Once again I must make clear that not all who are on entitlement are not worthy but those who are unworthy of what they are receiving know who they are. Like I said, a person could go on an entitlement (say workman comp.) and that is what the program is for. But it is never meant to be permanent.

Forgetting entitlements for the moment, why would you even have to ask: "should receive any kind of compensation without physically working for it"? I would call a compensation without work and/or obligation "a gift" but only if it was giving correctly. The taxpayers (really the working people but I'll admit there are those not working who are still taxpayers.....after all I'm one of them! Yes, even in retirement I still pay tax) can't not afford "gifts". We are $15 trillion in the hole like it is.

It is related to the fact that all over America there are workers who have earn every penny of their benefits and those workers are who keep America strong and on-going. Once again I must make clear that not all who are on entitlement are not worthy but those who are unworthy of what they are receiving know who they are. Like I said, a person could go on an entitlement (say workman comp.) and that is what the program is for. But it is never meant to be permanent.

Forgetting entitlements for the moment, why would you even have to ask: "should receive any kind of compensation without physically working for it"? I would call a compensation without work and/or obligation "a gift" but only if it was giving correctly. The taxpayers (really the working people but I'll admit there are those not working who are still taxpayers.....after all I'm one of them! Yes, even in retirement I still pay tax) can't not afford "gifts". We are $15 trillion in the hole like it is.

You are muddying the waters here. Lets just stick with entitlements that people are getting without working for it. Can you give me an example?

I knew a guy who worked for the post office just a few years, then quit because of "mental anguish." He applied for and is receiving almost two thousand a month in SSDA.

There is no such thing as a perfect world. When trying to help people, you will NEVER help out the EXACT people who deserve it. There will always be people who abuse the system and people who got screwed over by the system. We can try to get closer to perfection as possible, but you either have to make the system more lenient (more chances of abusers) or more strict (more chances of people getting screwed over).

There are 2 questions to ask:

1) Is the system good enough? (% of people screwed over or abusing the system is low)

2) Would you prefer more of people getting screwed by the system or more people abusing the system?

I personally don't know the answer to #1, but I definitely know that I'd rather have more people abuse the system than to have people screwed over by it.

You are muddying the waters here. Lets just stick with entitlements that people are getting without working for it. Can you give me an example?

I already did above....SSDI/SSI......I'm not saying that everyone on those two are unworthy but those who are know they are because they would rather get them than work......yes, as I said before, there are people who, for whatever reason, CAN'T WORK but those are far fewer that those that WON'T WORK.

... Like I said, a person could go on an entitlement (say workman comp.) and that is what the program is for. But it is never meant to be permanent....
In SC, Workman's Comp for a workplace injury lasts only three years per incident.

I already did above....SSDI/SSI......I'm not saying that everyone on those two are unworthy but those who are know they are because they would rather get them than work......yes, as I said before, there are people who, for whatever reason, CAN'T WORK but those are far fewer that those that WON'T WORK.

I only know a few people who get this and in each case it (to me) is justified. Perhaps you think the rules for qualifying to receive SSDI/SSI should be tightened, or do you think it should be done away with?

There is no such thing as a perfect world. When trying to help people, you will NEVER help out the EXACT people who deserve it. There will always be people who abuse the system and people who got screwed over by the system. We can try to get closer to perfection as possible, but you either have to make the system more lenient (more chances of abusers) or more strict (more chances of people getting screwed over).

There are 2 questions to ask:

1) Is the system good enough? (% of people screwed over or abusing the system is low)

2) Would you prefer more of people getting screwed by the system or more people abusing the system?

I'm on your side with this post, The problem, as I see it, is appathy. Years ago people would "shame" others for the fact that those refused to work and
were cheating (as we called abuse in those days). Today, it seems just like running a stop sign....everyone is doing it, so ignore it.
Also, the people of those times knew a system that was fair. Over the years the system has become so diluted with loopholes that left foot does not know what right foot is doing.
So, in my viewpoint, we need strong leaders to straighten the mess of a system we have out, then those %s, on both side, will go to less than 1%, as you said we have to get as close to perfect as we can. Still, I"m happy to be discussing this with you.

I personally don't know the answer to #1, but I definitely know that I'd rather have more people abuse the system than to have people screwed over by it.

I feel for you and almost all would agree with you,, as I do but lets hod out hope that we will get strong leaders to straighten the mess up.

I only know a few people who get this and in each case it (to me) is justified. Perhaps you think the rules for qualifying to receive SSDI/SSI should be tightened, or do you think it should be done away with?

Tightened and the standards should be re-evaluated. Why should a deaf person be on permanent SSDI/SSI for the ONLY reason of being deaf!
We need to realize the deaf CAN and SHOULD hold a job. Discrimination should be a thing of the past and we must continue the fight to get the deaf employeed and fairly employed. I would also say this about any hearing person. All Americans deserve the opportunity of a job where they can EARN a living. Those, for whatever reason and I do sympatize, can not perform labor at all are certainly worthy of the programs set up to help them. The standards need to be tightened and re-evaluated.

Tightened and the standards should be re-evaluated. Why should a deaf person be on permanent SSDI/SSI for the ONLY reason of being deaf!
We need to realize the deaf CAN and SHOULD hold a job. Discrimination should be a thing of the past and we must continue the fight to get the deaf employeed and fairly employed. I would also say this about any hearing person. All Americans deserve the opportunity of a job where they can EARN a living. Those, for whatever reason and I do sympatize, can not perform labor at all are certainly worthy of the programs set up to help them. The standards need to be tightened and re-evaluated.

Well Rolling7.... That's probably the best argument I've seen from you yet. now all you have to do is find some government statistics that support your claims and write your congress men/woman.

I tend to agree with you... if deaf is the ONLY reason they are on SSDI/SSI, then they should be re-evaluated and support given to get them off and into a paid job.

Is it really that easy? I almost want to apply to SSDI/SSI just to see if I can get it.

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

Daredevel7 said:
Is it really that easy? I almost want to apply to SSDI/SSI just to see if I can get it.

LOL! Rolling7 seems to think so. We will see if he is able to find any evidence to back his claim.

In SC, Workman's Comp for a workplace injury lasts only three years per incident.

The company rolls on, and the worker ends up unemployed or underemployed, living off of the taxpayers. If you think it is hard to find work now, try adding "workplace injury, partial disability" to your resume.

How? Don't you make money?

I do, and already am not qualified.

No I retired 2 1/2 years ago..... It would be easier for me though because of Meniere's (we get a special mention). Believe it or not they don't consider assets for SSDI. I don't qualify for SSI

No I retired 2 1/2 years ago..... It would be easier for me though because of Meniere's (we get a special mention). Believe it or not they don't consider assets for SSDI. I don't qualify for SSI

Ah, I kind of assumed you were younger.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back