Political Move Cave-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, it is a benefit to living in the U.S. and having government run insurance available at retirement age. You could not take everything paid in Medicare contributions over your entire work history and purchase private insurance with even remotely close coverage. In fact, most private carriers would not even sell you a policy at retirement age. Too big a risk of you actually filing claims they would have to pay out. You are guaranteed coverage as the direct result of a government run insurance.

You can twist it all you want but you said this....

Hypocrit, hypocrit, hypocrit. Take, take, take from the government, and all the while bitching about others you think are taking from the government. Two faced and hypocritical. Virtually nothing you have to say carries the least little bit of weight after discovering that you have been supported by the government for 38 years in a government job and are now sitting back and enjoying government sponsored retirement. You are a disgusting hypocrit, no more, no less.

Which is wrong. He wasn't supported by the government, he earned his living and his benefits by working for the them. He has every right to complain that the same government he did back breaking labor for, in extreme conditions, is giving money away others. Nothing hypocritical about that what so ever.

Like I said, it is a benefit to living in the U.S. and having government run insurance available at retirement age. You could not take everything paid in Medicare contributions over your entire work history and purchase private insurance with even remotely close coverage. In fact, most private carriers would not even sell you a policy at retirement age.
You're presuming that workers would wait until retirement age to get medical insurance. If they had used the Medicare "contribution" during their working years to get medical insurance early on, they could just continue with that insurance after retirement.

Also, neither Medicare nor private insurances survive on just the premiums paid. The carriers invest those premiums into other funds.

If Medicare is so great, why do most retirees also get Humana, Blue Cross, etc., as Medicare supplements? I have VA health care, and I will be eligible for Medicare someday, and I still pay now over $200/month for long-term care insurance for TCS and me.

Too big a risk of you actually filing claims they would have to pay out. You are guaranteed coverage as the direct result of a goverment run insurance.
You are also at their mercy for coverage, services, and availability.

Of course, Medicare is available to not just civil service employees.

When you (specific you, not generic you) are eligible for Medicare, will you accept it?

Online NewsHour: The Medicare System | Financing | PBS

You can twist it all you want but you said this....

Which is wrong. He wasn't supported by the government, he earned his living and his benefits by working for the them. He has every right to complain that the same government he did back breaking labor for, in extreme conditions, is giving money away others. Nothing hypocritical about that what so ever.

No twisting necessary. He has taken advantage of the benefits of government employment for 38 years, is now enjoying the benefits of governement retirement, and government sponsored insurance, all the while complaining that anyone else is not "earning" their benefits, but being given entitlements. It doesn't surprise me that you fail to see it. Your mindset appears to be pretty much the same. You apply a whole different set of rules to yourself than you do to others.

Back breaking labor? Extreme conditions? Quite the dramatic flair you have there.:laugh2:

You're presuming that workers would wait until retirement age to get medical insurance. If they had used the Medicare "contribution" during their working years to get medical insurance early on, they could just continue with that insurance after retirement.

Also, neither Medicare nor private insurances survive on just the premiums paid. The carriers invest those premiums into other funds.

If Medicare is so great, why do most retirees also get Humana, Blue Cross, etc., as Medicare supplements? I have VA health care, and I will be eligible for Medicare someday, and I still pay now over $200/month for long-term care insurance for TCS and me.

You are also at their mercy for coverage, services, and availability.

Of course, Medicare is available to not just civil service employees.

When you (specific you, not generic you) are eligible for Medicare, will you accept it?

Online NewsHour: The Medicare System | Financing | PBS

I am presuming nothing of the kind. And the holes in your theory are causing it to sink. Workers are generally covered under a company group plan prior to retirement. Once retired, that company group plan is no longer available, and thus the need for a low cost government run insurance plan that allows for coverage on a fixed income.

You are at a carrier's mercy regrading coverage and availability no matter what insurance company or policy you have. What makes you think that is specific to Medicare or a government run program?

Who said that insurance companies survive on just premiums paid? I don't recall anyone making that claim. It is totally irrelevent to this discussion.

Probably not. I don't intend to retire, and therefore will be eligible for insurance through my professional organization. Likewise, by the time that I am elibible for Medicare, health care reform will have been fully in place for quite some time, and therefore, other options will be available to me, and to all Americans.

I have coverage from my company for life and Medicare is just a supplement and I don't understand half the terms.....

I am presuming nothing of the kind. And the holes in your theory are causing it to sink. Workers are generally covered under a company group plan prior to retirement. Once retired, that company group plan is no longer available, and thus the need for a low cost government run insurance plan that allows for coverage on a fixed income.
The money that would have been taken by the Feds during their earning years could be applied towards retirement insurance that could be a continuance/conversion of their workers' insurance, and would kick in only when the worker actually retired rather than some set-by-government age.

You are at a carrier's mercy regrading coverage and availability no matter what insurance company or policy you have. What makes you think that is specific to Medicare or a government run program?
So that would be a wash for comparison?

Who said that insurance companies survive on just premiums paid? I don't recall anyone making that claim. It is totally irrelevent to this discussion.
I think the source of funding for insurance is relevant indeed.

Probably not. I don't intend to retire, and therefore will be eligible for insurance through my professional organization. Likewise, by the time that I am elibible for Medicare, health care reform will have been fully in place for quite some time, and therefore, other options will be available to me, and to all Americans.
Don't intend to retire doesn't mean that you will be gainfully employed up to the time you die.

...Back breaking labor? Extreme conditions? Quite the dramatic flair you have there.:laugh2:
Wow, that's rude. Have you worked in a post office distribution center for decades? Have you been a mail carrier for many years, in all climates?

I don't see any need to do any twisting given the facts despite claims. I'm sure we can agree that Rolling has worked for the Government for 38 years.

Although rolling has not said in what capacity that he has worked for the government, it would be safe to assume that he likely either worked for a state school for the Deaf or Gallaudet University which is a public University.

If he worked at MSSD, I would assume that it is funded on a Federal level given the origins of MSSD. If he got that insurance from either Gally or MSSD, he likely got his insurance and benefits from the Gallaudet University Tax Deferred Retirement Plan though I think there has been changes to the insurance over the years. I dunno about MSSD but it would be safe they got similar benefits. There's no need to do arm twisting here. Those are the facts.
Now let's suppose that Rolling didn't work for any schools but worked elsewhere in the government. It it still quite likely he would have gotten benefits from either the Federal level or the state level.

I've worked for several different companies and as a rule if they had insurance then they had group insurance.

I can't imagine any private insurance providing coverage to retirees around age 65 because it is then that they will start having health problems that will increase the cost of covering them. I don't think many would try to dispute that.

I know of no private insurance that covers retirees at a reasonable coast in relation to fixed incomes.

So then we can only conclude that rolling and others would do well not to complain that others shouldn't get medicare..

The money that would have been taken by the Feds during their earning years could be applied towards retirement insurance that could be a continuance/conversion of their workers' insurance, and would kick in only when the worker actually retired rather than some set-by-government age.

And the private carrier could drop the retiree as soon as they filed a claim for a chronic illness. That is the issue with private carriers. Older enrollees are a risk that most private carriers do not want to assume, and if they do assume that risk, it is through extremely high premiums.

So that would be a wash for comparison?

Just a fact. You are more at risk to the isurance company's whims and pencil pushers through private carriers than you are through Medicare/Medicaid. And certainly more at risk that with health care reform.
I think the source of funding for insurance is relevant indeed.

You are talking about the source of the private carriers billions of dollars in profits every year, not the funding for insurance.

Don't intend to retire doesn't mean that you will be gainfully employed up to the time you die.

It is my plan to be gainfully employed up until the time that I die, and I have spent several years getting myself in a position to insure that. Likewise, I will still have insurance available to me through my professional organization as long as I maintain my membership in that organization.There are no gurantees that anyone's plans will work out 100%. That is one of the reasons that health care reform is necessary and needed. That is one of the reasons that individuals need to have options that the Conservatives stonewalled.

Wow, that's rude. Have you worked in a post office distribution center for decades? Have you been a mail carrier for many years, in all climates?

How could you possibly know what his job description was any more than TxGolfer knows? Again, a flair for the dramatic in an attempt to distract from the issue that he took advantage of the benefits of government employment for 38 years, is enjoying the benefit of government sponsored pension, and is, at the same time, accusing others who are working for same benefits of taking entitlements.

I don't see any need to do any twisting given the facts despite claims. I'm sure we can agree that Rolling has worked for the Government for 38 years.

Although rolling has not said in what capacity that he has worked for the government, it would be safe to assume that he likely either worked for a state school for the Deaf or Gallaudet University which is a public University.

If he worked at MSSD, I would assume that it is funded on a Federal level given the origins of MSSD. If he got that insurance from either Gally or MSSD, he likely got his insurance and benefits from the Gallaudet University Tax Deferred Retirement Plan though I think there has been changes to the insurance over the years. I dunno about MSSD but it would be safe they got similar benefits. There's no need to do arm twisting here. Those are the facts.
Now let's suppose that Rolling didn't work for any schools but worked elsewhere in the government. It it still quite likely he would have gotten benefits from either the Federal level or the state level.

I've worked for several different companies and as a rule if they had insurance then they had group insurance.

I can't imagine any private insurance providing coverage to retirees around age 65 because it is then that they will start having health problems that will increase the cost of covering them. I don't think many would try to dispute that.

I know of no private insurance that covers retirees at a reasonable coast in relation to fixed incomes.

So then we can only conclude that rolling and others would do well not to complain that others shouldn't get medicare..

Rolling has stated that he worked for the post office. He has not described his job duties, and therefore, another posters assumption that he was doing "backbreaking labor in extreme conditions" was nothing more than a dramatic attempt to justify and distract.

Exactly. There is no option available privately that will provide the same coverage for the same low cost as Medicare. Even the Conservatives realize that, as much as they want to argue against health reform and the totaly hypocrisy of taking advantage of a government sponsored insurance while giving lip service to all the sillly, illogical excuses they can dream up to oppose health care reform.

I'm confused... are you saying that there are government entitlements that are unfair? If so, which ones?

No twisting necessary. He has taken advantage of the benefits of government employment for 38 years, is now enjoying the benefits of governement retirement, and government sponsored insurance, all the while complaining that anyone else is not "earning" their benefits, but being given entitlements. It doesn't surprise me that you fail to see it. Your mindset appears to be pretty much the same. You apply a whole different set of rules to yourself than you do to others.

Back breaking labor? Extreme conditions? Quite the dramatic flair you have there.:laugh2:

Back Breaking Labor. Extreme conditions.
Try these

1) twelve hour days
2) seven day weeks
3) work every holiday
4) work night shift
5) no a/c and no heat
6) work in rain/snow/hurricanes
7) lift and carry 70 lbs.

I could go on (and I've not listed the dicriminations against the deaf) but unless you were there you can't understand. All postal workers earn every penny of their benefits, nothing was giving to them. They are not laughing their way to the bank but suffering in their retirement from many ills. I know because I suffer and get with others and hear about their sufferings.

Back Breaking Labor. Extreme conditions.
Try these

1) twelve hour days
2) seven day weeks
3) work every holiday
4) work night shift
5) no a/c and no heat
6) work in rain/snow/hurricanes
7) lift and carry 70 lbs.

I could go on (and I've not listed the dicriminations against the deaf) but unless you were there you can't understand. All postal workers earn every penny of their benefits, nothing was giving to them. They are not laughing their way to the bank but suffering in their retirement from many ills. I know because I suffer and get with others and hear about their sufferings.

Are you saying this was your experience??? If so, it looks like some labor laws were broken. But a smart guy like you would have known better, right?

For the record:

I started as a distribution/LSM clerk
Then sectional center/parcel post clerk
Then FSM clerk
Then window service clerk
Then special/express delivery clerk
Then SPBS clerk
Then expitior
Finally retirement

I sued, through EEOC, the USPS for discrimination for the deaf group and won a settlement for all the deaf workers to receive ASL interpreters for all necessary communication between the deaf and management. Also sued to receive TTY and later VP. In all, I had six cases of discrimination settled in favor of the deaf group against USPS, never once did I do this for myself.
If you look above to the window service clerk, that is one where I became the first deaf to preform at position. Before all deeaf that bid on the position were denied their bid, even if they had senority. After me, several other deaf around the nation where allow to bid with qulifications and we successful in earning the position. My last year, 2009, I had three heart surgeries from all this labor and just resently I had another. Yes, I will admit I could of taken better care of myself. The hardship all postal workers go through cause errors of judgement but I do think I did well to plan for retirement and I have earned my keep.

Are you saying this was your experience??? If so, it looks like some labor laws were broken. But a smart guy like you would have known better, right?

Yes, but there was no choice. You seem to forget that government workers are under a different standard of labor than private workers. Yes, we had a union but their hands were tied,unlike the autoworker and other privatie unions. Of course, you have to look at the times.....1970's until 2000's.....
and down through the years things did get better but it was still strictly speaking hard.

For the record:

I started as a distribution/LSM clerk
Then sectional center/parcel post clerk
Then FSM clerk
Then window service clerk
Then special/express delivery clerk
Then SPBS clerk
Then expitior
Finally retirement

I sued, through EEOC, the USPS for discrimination for the deaf group and won a settlement for all the deaf workers to receive ASL interpreters for all necessary communication between the deaf and management. Also sued to receive TTY and later VP. In all, I had six cases of discrimination settled in favor of the deaf group against USPS, never once did I do this for myself.
If you look above to the window service clerk, that is one where I became the first deaf to preform at position. Before all deeaf that bid on the position were denied their bid, even if they had senority. After me, several other deaf around the nation where allow to bid with qulifications and we successful in earning the position. My last year, 2009, I had three heart surgeries from all this labor and just resently I had another. Yes, I will admit I could of taken better care of myself. The hardship all postal workers go through cause errors of judgement but I do think I did well to plan for retirement and I have earned my keep.

These things are all good. but I don't follow why they are relevant?

Rolling has stated that he worked for the post office. He has not described his job duties, and therefore, another posters assumption that he was doing "backbreaking labor in extreme conditions" was nothing more than a dramatic attempt to justify and distract.

Exactly. There is no option available privately that will provide the same coverage for the same low cost as Medicare. Even the Conservatives realize that, as much as they want to argue against health reform and the totaly hypocrisy of taking advantage of a government sponsored insurance while giving lip service to all the sillly, illogical excuses they can dream up to oppose health care reform.

Oh so he worked for the PO? I stand corrected then. I have him on ignore..

These things are all good. but I don't follow why they are relevant?

They are relevant to show that in retirement I am not being GIVEN anything by the government but I have EARN every penny of my pension and insurance coverage.

You had ask in another post: which entitlements

The simple answer is there is no "bad" entitlement but abused entitlement.
There are those to help people in a need and, sometimes, to get back on their feet. But they are not meant to be permanent.

To give you an example:

When I join USPS we had 238 deaf that were hired under the Presidental (Nixon) Program to put people to work from governement support (as it was called then). Not only the USPS but other federal agencys hired not only deaf but others too. Now of this group that I worked with, and 99% I had never seen before because they were younger and we had no ASL social in those days, almost every one of them came from SSDI/SSI (I have already stated that in my lifetime I have nere had SSDI/SSI). In those days, it was like $300-$400 a month. Now they had the opportunity to EARN over $1000 a month. That....EARN...was the problem. They were use to having everything giving to them. Within six months, more than half had left the USPS (see the list of back-breaking reasons I posted) and within one year there were 57 of us still working. Through the years I've heard from the ones who quit early and they never looked back because they stayed on SSDI/SSI all their life. Now I'm not saying SSDI/SSI is a "bad" entitlement (yes, I do know some hearing people on them) but there are many that I know who stay on them for the simple reason they don"t care to work.....note, yes htere are those that can't work (for whatever reason) but there are many that WON'T work. Go back to some of my old post and look up CRR here in Houston. I have tried my best to help the deaf to get a meanful job but I and the staff of CRR have experienced much heartbreak because the deaf will not apply themself to learning nor to using what they learn.
Yes, I have explained using the deaf as an example but I know fully well (and so should everyone else) there in the general population of America there are many, many who are abusing the programs and, for that reason, we all must show disgust.

They are relevant to show that in retirement I am not being GIVEN anything by the government but I have EARN every penny of my pension and insurance coverage.

You had ask in another post: which entitlements

The simple answer is there is no "bad" entitlement but abused entitlement.
There are those to help people in a need and, sometimes, to get back on their feet. But they are not meant to be permanent.

To give you an example:

When I join USPS we had 238 deaf that were hired under the Presidental (Nixon) Program to put people to work from governement support (as it was called then). Not only the USPS but other federal agencys hired not only deaf but others too. Now of this group that I worked with, and 99% I had never seen before because they were younger and we had no ASL social in those days, almost every one of them came from SSDI/SSI (I have already stated that in my lifetime I have nere had SSDI/SSI). In those days, it was like $300-$400 a month. Now they had the opportunity to EARN over $1000 a month. That....EARN...was the problem. They were use to having everything giving to them. Within six months, more than half had left the USPS (see the list of back-breaking reasons I posted) and within one year there were 57 of us still working. Through the years I've heard from the ones who quit early and they never looked back because they stayed on SSDI/SSI all their life. Now I'm not saying SSDI/SSI is a "bad" entitlement (yes, I do know some hearing people on them) but there are many that I know who stay on them for the simple reason they don"t care to work.....note, yes htere are those that can't work (for whatever reason) but there are many that WON'T work. Go back to some of my old post and look up CRR here in Houston. I have tried my best to help the deaf to get a meanful job but I and the staff of CRR have experienced much heartbreak because the deaf will not apply themself to learning nor to using what they learn.
Yes, I have explained using the deaf as an example but I know fully well (and so should everyone else) there in the general population of America there are many, many who are abusing the programs and, for that reason, we all must show disgust.

*my face a mask of disgust*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back