Political Move Cave-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, a certain poster is trying to be a know-it-all. Trying to tell me what I know and what I don't know but coming as close as possible to call me a liar. Fortunately for me, I kept all my old pay stubs, so I can prove all I said about U.S.P.S. More so, anyone can ask those who worked along side me about those 84 hrs weeks. Here is how it works: when I first started it was 10 pm to 10 am schedule with 30 minutes for "lunch", in addition to two paid 10 min. "coffee breaks".

This equal to a 40 hr.work week. The 3 1/2 hours of overtime each day equal 16 1/2 hrs. (we are now at 40 + 16.5 = 56.5) Then there is the two "suppose to be" off days of 11 1/2 hours (equal to 23 hrs.) So now we are at 56.5 + 23 = 79.5 hrs of accountable time. Where does this 84 hrs. come into play, you ask?
Easy, just do this 12 hrs. from clock-in until clock-out X 7 days = 84.

Illegal? What a laugh! Just tell that to all the deaf/hearing co-workers who suffered and lost their families along side me. I'm not saying it was always like this but it took years to cut back on MANDATORY overtime and off-days/holiday work.
Even then, the rules of must be allow to have one off-day a week were suspended during the month of December.

I'm also not saying that postal workers had an exclusive harsh working condition because I do know other jobs are just as demanding of the elements. I'm only making the point that a certain poster is saying I did not earn my retirement and I know all postal workers did earn every penny.

I've explain in my reply to Cheetah just what I think entitlement is and make no excuse for thinking this way. It is base on my experience with the people receiving assistance. I have meet those worthy and those unworthy. I look at it this way: every entitlement program is necessary for those truly deserving of assistance. I agree with Cheetah that both sides of the coin people cheating the programs and the programs short-changing people need an overhaul.

I'm not an expert on SSDI/SSI but having been around many, many deaf and knowing their life stories, I've form an opinion based on what they shared with me.

You are going to need more than pay stubs to prove the claims you have made.:lol:

Ahhh...so it's just opinion based on a lack of knowlege, then. Thanks for clearing that up.

:confused: I never said it was a free entitlement. I know how it works. I simply posted how long it lasts, that it's not permanent.

Neither did I.....I said it sometimes is unearned.

No you didn't say it was a "free" entitlement. Others have said that. You probably should refrain from taking everything so personally.
Then, you probably should refrain from quoting my posts in your posts. If "others" said something, quote their posts, not mine.

You are going to need more than pay stubs to prove the claims you have made.:lol:

Ahhh...so it's just opinion based on a lack of knowlege, then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Obviously I know I only have to prove myself to the IRS, you don't count for lick-spit.

As usual, a certain poster is trying to be a know-it-all. Trying to tell me what I know and what I don't know but coming as close as possible to call me a liar. Fortunately for me, I kept all my old pay stubs, so I can prove all I said about U.S.P.S. More so, anyone can ask those who worked along side me about those 84 hrs weeks. Here is how it works: when I first started it was 10 pm to 10 am schedule with 30 minutes for "lunch", in addition to two paid 10 min. "coffee breaks".

This equal to a 40 hr.work week. The 3 1/2 hours of overtime each day equal 16 1/2 hrs. (we are now at 40 + 16.5 = 56.5) Then there is the two "suppose to be" off days of 11 1/2 hours (equal to 23 hrs.) So now we are at 56.5 + 23 = 79.5 hrs of accountable time. Where does this 84 hrs. come into play, you ask?
Easy, just do this 12 hrs. from clock-in until clock-out X 7 days = 84.

HUH?!

I think your math is wrong.

Why are you doing 12 hours x 7 days? You said that you had 3.5 hours over time, which makes it sound like lunch is not "paid". And you said 3.5 hours overtime every day thus = 16.5 hours. How is that possible? 3.5 hours x 5 days = 17.5 hours.

10pm - 10am = 12 hours, = 4 hours overtime for a normal 8 hour work days, but you said 3.5 hours over time which implies that lunch is not included. (in fact you verified it with "Then there is the two "suppose to be" off days of 11 1/2 hours (equal to 23 hrs.)") So really it should be 11.5 hours x 7 days = 80.5 hours, not 84 hours.

Honestly, I don't care how long you worked and to me, it's irrelevant to the discussion. It's just that this is a math problem to me, and I can't stay away... :D

HUH?!

Why are you doing 12 hours x 7 days? You said that you had 3.5 hours over time, which makes it sound like lunch is not "paid". And you said 3.5 hours overtime every day thus = 16.5 hours. How is that possible? 3.5 hours x 5 days = 17.5 hours.

10pm - 10am = 12 hours, = 4 hours overtime for a normal 8 hour work days, but you said 3.5 hours over time which implies that lunch is not included. (in fact you verified it with "Then there is the two "suppose to be" off days of 11 1/2 hours (equal to 23 hrs.)") So really it should be 11.5 hours x 7 days = 80.5 hours, not 84 hours.

Honestly, I don't care how long you worked and to me, it's irrelevant to the discussion. It's just that this is a math problem to me, and I can't stay away... :D

I will always defer to your skill with numbers. :lol:

There might be *some* truth in what is being said, as I know my wife works warehouse jobs. She's working through a temp agency, and they have her work 12 hour shifts, usually holidays, weekends, and if they can get her to do it, everyday of the week. But, that's rare.

So, with that in mind, I think what people here are asking is just how much of what is being said an exaggeration here? And what can be proven?

HUH?!

One more time:

I said were in the building 12 a day 7 days which equals 84 hours away from family/friends/etc.

I said for SALARY PURPOSE there is a regular 40 hrs.week
Lunch was off-the-clock (30 mins.)
For the regular work week there are 3 1/2 hrs. of overtime (3.5 x5 =17.5)
Then the two days of mandatory work were 11.5 hrs x 2 = 23

The statement of 84 hrs. is not for pay purpose but for being in the building

The point is a certain poster disputed me and came close to calling me a liar.
Anyone who wants to dispute the facts and say this was "illegal" does not know the U.S.P.S. The hundreds of thousands of workers would gladly set you straight.

Interesting how different jobs calculate the hours.

When I worked an hourly job after high school graduation, I was paid minimum wage times the number of hours I worked. I worked 60 hours a week, that 60 was multiplied times $1.65 per hour, and that's what I got (minus IRS withholding). Most of those hours were evenings, weekends, and holidays. (It was a movie theater.)

Now, when I work as a terp, there are no minimum or maximum hours. If I work at the college over 40 hours in a week, that doesn't change my hourly rate. It's because I'm a contract employee. I do get a higher rate for evening and weekend work.

When I was in the Navy, our civil service employees didn't get paid for overtime. They could get comp time instead.

There might be *some* truth in what is being said, as I know my wife works warehouse jobs. She's working through a temp agency, and they have her work 12 hour shifts, usually holidays, weekends, and if they can get her to do it, everyday of the week. But, that's rare.

So, with that in mind, I think what people here are asking is just how much of what is being said an exaggeration here? And what can be proven?

I totally agree with you. You don't state how old your wife and yourself are, it is rare today that people have mandatory days like your wife. She can thanks us who lived through the pre-80s for changes in the labor laws. However, I've already stated my situation was not the same for my 38 years, only that our workers had to stick it out until things got better. I'll admit, my final year I worked hardly any mandatory overtime due to my seniority but those who had to did not have the high numbers as previous workers.

One more time:

I said were in the building 12 a day 7 days which equals 84 hours away from family/friends/etc.

Anyone who wants to dispute the facts and say this was "illegal" does not know the U.S.P.S. The hundreds of thousands of workers would gladly set you straight.

Okay, your new numbers and definition (both bolded) are now verified. I am satisfied.

You may continue.

Ah, but she is employed through a temp agency, and is considered to be a temporary employee. That gets around the labor laws for a full time, permanent employee.

How much of it is an exaggeration? I would estimate 97%.

One more time:

So, it was all an exaggeration, then, because you were not "working 12 hour days" as you originally claimed.:cool2: You were simply "in the building".

And I still question the 7 days a week, all holidays.:cool2: Even moreso since you have now admitted that your claim of working "12 hour days" was an exaggeration. Likewise, since you were in the building, your claim of being subjected to extemes in weather in carrying out your job duties was a gross exaggeration.

I totally agree with you. You don't state how old your wife and yourself are, it is rare today that people have mandatory days like your wife. She can thanks us who lived through the pre-80s for changes in the labor laws. However, I've already stated my situation was not the same for my 38 years, only that our workers had to stick it out until things got better. I'll admit, my final year I worked hardly any mandatory overtime due to my seniority but those who had to did not have the high numbers as previous workers.

You completely missed the point cmdrwhitewolf was making.:cool2:

Ah, the truth is finally coming out. That would have made so much more sense from the start than the outlandish claims you attempted to peddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back