Phonak Naida V UP

Hello everyone. I got my Phonak Naida hearing aids a few days ago and have likes and dislikes. I love how I can hear high frequency things that I have never heard before such as my sister's guide dog tags, doors creeking, the "ting" of metalic objects. I also can hear a few more notes on a piano in the 6th and 7th octaves which were inaudible before. I notice that a lot of things "appear" and I have to ask "what is that?" or "was that you?". I can hear alot of sounds that I do not recognize. I heard my friend eating and the sound of the fork hitting the glass bowl was so wierd, almost electronic sounding. I can also hear basslines in music perfectly. I am a musician and I love hearing bass and high frequences for the first time. I do notice however that there is a strange artifact in music. I played my synthesizer and every note had this echo over it, like the hearing aid is copying every note and is making it sound out of tune. Bass sounds do not do this, only piano and sounds with high frequencies. I also have trouble with noise. Traffic makes me dizzy although I like hearing that its there and where its coming from. I am also blind and have nearly been run over more times than I can count because of not hearing something approaching from behind me. I also can not hear people behind me either, but I can a little better with my Naidas. I also am noticing more detail in everything too. TV shows have more sounds in them than I relized. I can hear water and coins too. I LOVE not hearing cellphone signals and store alarms (they sound evil and very low in pitch, normally silent to others). Every store has their own alarm and signal that I heard each time I passed though them, ppl probly though I was crazy covering my hearing aids to walk into or out of the store. I have the Icom as well, an awesome device. I like how the programs change automatically too. I hear better though it with the phone and my XM radio.
When I turn them on, sounds appear. I can hear people outside, the wind above my apartment, keys on the computer, and my family walking in the house. I feel so much more safe now. In quiet is where I hear best, competing noise is still a huge problem for me. I go back soon to have some small adjustments made. I have only had these for a few days. I am so impressed.

Hello everyone. I got my Phonak Naida hearing aids a few days ago and have likes and dislikes. I love how I can hear high frequency things that I have never heard before such as my sister's guide dog tags, doors creeking, the "ting" of metalic objects. I also can hear a few more notes on a piano in the 6th and 7th octaves which were inaudible before. I notice that a lot of things "appear" and I have to ask "what is that?" or "was that you?". I can hear alot of sounds that I do not recognize. I heard my friend eating and the sound of the fork hitting the glass bowl was so wierd, almost electronic sounding. I can also hear basslines in music perfectly. I am a musician and I love hearing bass and high frequences for the first time. I do notice however that there is a strange artifact in music. I played my synthesizer and every note had this echo over it, like the hearing aid is copying every note and is making it sound out of tune. Bass sounds do not do this, only piano and sounds with high frequencies. I also have trouble with noise. Traffic makes me dizzy although I like hearing that its there and where its coming from. I am also blind and have nearly been run over more times than I can count because of not hearing something approaching from behind me. I also can not hear people behind me either, but I can a little better with my Naidas. I also am noticing more detail in everything too. TV shows have more sounds in them than I relized. I can hear water and coins too. I LOVE not hearing cellphone signals and store alarms (they sound evil and very low in pitch, normally silent to others). Every store has their own alarm and signal that I heard each time I passed though them, ppl probly though I was crazy covering my hearing aids to walk into or out of the store. I have the Icom as well, an awesome device. I like how the programs change automatically too. I hear better though it with the phone and my XM radio.
When I turn them on, sounds appear. I can hear people outside, the wind above my apartment, keys on the computer, and my family walking in the house. I feel so much more safe now. In quiet is where I hear best, competing noise is still a huge problem for me. I go back soon to have some small adjustments made. I have only had these for a few days. I am so impressed.

Glad it's working out for you.....by the way...when you said cell phone signals, what did you hear before?? I know if Traffic noise can be overbearing, I think it's possible to touch the intensity down a bit so it won't knock you down. Then again, your brain is still in the learning stage, so you may still need to adjust to the new sounds......try lowering the volume a notch or two to see if that helps?

Good luck!!

iCOM settings

I had that problem, too.

My audiologist had to reduce the surrounding sounds next to nothing for Bluetooth input and a separate setting for the hardwire connection.

It works much better without the surrounding sounds.

-J

hey all,
just got my phonak naida 9 the other day and i am experiencing all the problems that everyone else has already (sounding like im underwater, wind noise, blah blah) im due to go back for a adjustment in 2 weeks which i hope i can handle the wait!!! lol
after reading all the forums im strongly gonna suggest to my audi to get a phonak rep in there with us just as to reduce the amount of times i end up having to go back for adjustments, which are understandably inevitable.
from wat i seen of the phonak software it just seemed too simple for wat is supposed to be the "most powerful hearing aid on the market at the moment"

just a question regarding the iCom tho, does anyone have it set so as to TOTALLY eliminate background noise when using it as a bluetooth for ur mobile fone?
cos my audi has it set but i still hear alll the noises in the background and it is practically worthless in different scenarios, thus far.
any help/feedback will be greatly apprectiated!!
thanks all!!!
PEACE

Sweet!

I appreciate this information and did not think it could launch properly unless it is licensed or registered.

Funny thing, I configured this software for an audiologist when I installed a new server for them and had to reconfigure their workstations but it never dawned on me to install this program for myself.

It was a bit more involved than just installing a single program. Perhaps because I had to install additional modules and migrate the database from an old server to a new server.

Phonak hearing systems - Software Download

You can download and install it, but unless you have the iCube or HiPro, it's useless for configuring your aids. The idea is to use it as a tool to help give your audiologist some correct information, so they can adjust your aids properly.....

I appreciate this information and did not think it could launch properly unless it is licensed or registered.

Funny thing, I configured this software for an audiologist when I installed a new server for them and had to reconfigure their workstations but it never dawned on me to install this program for myself.

It was a bit more involved than just installing a single program. Perhaps because I had to install additional modules and migrate the database from an old server to a new server.

There really is no extra modules to install, you either have the slim version or the full version of the iPFG software. The full version has all the sound files to help create a simulation environment (you need surround sound type speakers) to recreate the sounds you might hear and make as accurate a configuration as possible.

Currently the iPFG software seems to be locked down. If you not already have software downloaded, the only way now is to upgrade via a link on the iPFG or actually have registered to download (probably have to be an authorized Phonak user to get)

I can imagine that you may have to back up the client user files in order to migrate to a new system...............by the way, the registration is optional, but "recommended" by Phonak for support to qualified audiologists.

However, I am still hearing some of that 'echo-y' quality of sound and the clarity of speech sounds is still not quite there. [...] The audiologist has consistently told me that my explanations of the sounds I hear is not helpful to her. It's definitely quite hard to tell her what I'm hearing. As I was driving today I kept thinking of how else I could possibly describe what I'm hearing. I thought of how people have colds and how some of the sounds might not be clear and muffled when their ears are plugged."

I have a similar issue. The fact is my old HAs were so badly configured and didn't restitute the high frequencies as I should have heard for some decades (I'm 38 old). Note that my loss is around 90% for both ears of mine.

Whenever my audi is boosting the high frequencies so it can improve the speech understanding above 80%, I get this annoying 'echo-y' quality of sound. The 'underwater' hearing seems to be solved for my left ear but not for my right ear the loss of which is worse (well audi didn't spend the same time for the right HA as he did for the left one).

you second description about muffling is something I also experience sometimes.

I'm so desesperate as my audi thinks it's probably my ears which provoke the echo-y answer because they were so unused to 'hear' high frequencies. It's so difficult to believe it as it sounds quite electronics to my ear and surely not organic.

By the way, you may think my english sounds horrible : it is not my native language as I'm a frenchman.

I have a similar issue. The fact is my old HAs were so badly configured and didn't restitute the high frequencies as I should have heard for some decades (I'm 38 old). Note that my loss is around 90% for both ears of mine.

Whenever my audi is boosting the high frequencies so it can improve the speech understanding above 80%, I get this annoying 'echo-y' quality of sound. The 'underwater' hearing seems to be solved for my left ear but not for my right ear the loss of which is worse (well audi didn't spend the same time for the right HA as he did for the left one).

you second description about muffling is something I also experience sometimes.

I'm so desesperate as my audi thinks it's probably my ears which provoke the echo-y answer because they were so unused to 'hear' high frequencies. It's so difficult to believe it as it sounds quite electronics to my ear and surely not organic.

By the way, you may think my english sounds horrible : it is not my native language as I'm a frenchman.

It does take time to adjust the Naidas. Sometimes those adjustments are hindered by the wrong explanation of the sound quality. You have to be more precise in what you hear and in what environment.

For example, I can have a problem with hearing female voices in a calm setting. I can say " female voice unintelligible or too soft in a quiet living room".

If you say the correct information to your audi, he/she can make a correct diagnosis and adjust on the software connected to your aids.

Hearing Test

You may want to try the Oticon Sumo DM, it's the most powerful HA and costs less than the Phonak Naida V UP that I have. If you are willing to order online, you can half the cost. What's your current audiogram?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if these are sounds that you never heard before, then you probably have frequency compression ON. It takes sounds at frequencies you can't hear and lowers them to frequencies you can hear. It would probably make things seem a little out-of-tune. Maybe your audi can program a 'music' setting to not use frequency-compression? it would mean that, while it music, you would not hear the dog's tags or coins, etc, because they would be left in the frequencies you cannot hear. Frequency-compression is only done in the higher frequencies, which is why you don't notice the problem with the bass lines.
*EQL*

Hi Wendy, I am new to this forum as I wanted to get the advice on the Naida V UP I have had fitted early May. I am finding it difficult to say the least. At work, the people who I could normally follow are mostly unintelligble now! There is quite a bit of background noise from computer equipment (not just desktop PCs but server racks with very fast air flows), so I think the aid is automatically adjusting the sensitivity down hence I am losing voices. I also have the underwater effect and muffled etc.

My audie has a return adjustment at the end of June, but looking at these posts I see a lot more interim stuff happening. I was told it takes 4 to 6 weeks min to get used to them, is this what people here have found?

In some situations I have found them great! But then at other times they fail to help one little bit and I get no intelligence from speech at all.

Sorry for all the questions but things are very frustrating at the moment.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Wendy, I am new to this forum as I wanted to get the advice on the Naida V UP I have had fitted early May. I am finding it difficult to say the least. At work, the people who I could normally follow are mostly unintelligble now! There is quite a bit of background noise from computer equipment (not just desktop PCs but server racks with very fast air flows), so I think the aid is automatically adjusting the sensitivity down hence I am losing voices. I also have the underwater effect and muffled etc.

My audie has a return adjustment at the end of June, but looking at these posts I see a lot more interim stuff happening. I was told it takes 4 to 6 weeks min to get used to them, is this what people here have found?

In some situations I have found them great! But then at other times they fail to help one little bit and I get no intelligence from speech at all.

Sorry for all the questions but things are very frustrating at the moment.

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

Try searching for Naida here, you will find a lot of info on the subject, especially from me. Depending on what situations you have problems in, most can be resolved with the different program modes. I usually keep my setup in auto (soundflow) mode, but I also have a separate Speech in Noise, FM, and music settings as well as mute when I really want peace and quiet.

Your audi can use the auto adjustment screen of the iPFG programming software to fix most problems, but sometimes you just might need a bit more "fine tuning" that auto adjustments will not fix. The best way is to say the correct information that the audi can understand (ie. calm setting, watching TV, female voices are tinny (sharp))

I also have some info posted at www.hearingaidforums.com , where I'm also a forum member....
Leo

Last edited:
Hi Leo, Thanks for the response. I will investigate and also make note of the exact situations.

Ian

New earmolds are good. I am waiting on new ones still, well actually...I got new ones and I was crazy allergic to them. Like trip to the hospital allergic lol. So we are waiting to find something that won't kill me :P

that happened to me before!
I had colored earmolds which caused a rash and a mysterious allergic reaction!

As background I have been partially deaf since birth. I had an pocket aid as a kid but it just amplified everything LOUDLY. After college I consulted a university audiology department and they fitted me with a set 20 years ago. It was a true miracle to hear sounds I never heard in my life, bought tears to my eyes. So every 3-4 years I got newer aids as technology advanced and I thought the change was worthwhile. Life was good until Phonaks Naida Vup that was touted as being superb and really would impress me.

I have had this set for about 6-8 months and very unhappy with them. The audiologist has been very patient with me, but no matter how they are tuned, they just dont work. Everything is blaringly loud choppy distorted and tinny sounding. I listen to classical music and the digital aids amplifier just distort, flutter and chop notes and do weird things to music. Resturant conversations and other noisey venues are no-no, I hear everyone but my wife, kids or person across from me. I now carry my old analog set and switch to them as needed.

The audiologist finally took my old set and did measurements and tried to duplicate them as close as possible on the new ones. She said I will really be missing the sibilents and speech clues, but with sound so tinny and sharp, I just give up. She has three programs in the aids, so when I turn them on I click to program 3 and turn the sound down to comfortable which is almost the last click. It is a dumb mode program without all the fancy compression leveling and junk turned on.
What a waste of $3K money. Digital is c***! These are not ready for prime time no matter what Phonalk claims. I seriously doubt even a Phonak rep could get these going like my faithful analogs,

Bottom line, if you are thinking of these, forget it. look for good analog aids.

Bottom line, if you are thinking of these, forget it. look for good analog aids.
I love my Naida IX UPs (and the V UPs that I trialed first). There's no "one size fits all" in the hearing aid "store". Just because you did not have a good experience with them, does not mean you should tell others to stay away from them.
Did your audiologist do REM (real ear measurement) with the aids? I found this to be very helpful in adjusting the aids due to a problem I was having with the bass sounds. Unfortuntately, not all audiologists do REM.
Also, maybe you need a different audiologist.

I have no problem with your venting your disappointment in the HAs, just the fact that you're telling everyone that that particular HA is "no good" when indeed it is good/great for some of us.

Hello LoveBlue and other forumites,
I may have been over strong in my comments and true, not one aid fits all. The claim to fame for this Phonak was minimizing feedback which it does very well but unfortunately at the expense of good sound. I realize no aid will give you 100% perfect hearing given vaious electical and physical comprimises that must be made, and that I readily accept being an engineer. It is just so frustrating for me and the the audiologist. The way these operate, it seems like something that might have been developed years ago. In other words, I expected the sound quality to be better, but in my estimation the sound quality seems a step backwards.

And yes the audiologist did a REm twice to tune these up. As long as I am in a relatively quiet location they work great.

But as they say with anything, your milage may vary.

Peace.

that happened to me before!
I had colored earmolds which caused a rash and a mysterious allergic reaction!

I was outfitted with silicon earmolds beause they were soft and pliable. About 3 months later I developed irrations. Finally had new "skeleton" molds made out of hard plastic. No problems since.:D

I was outfitted with silicon earmolds beause they were soft and pliable. About 3 months later I developed irrations. Finally had new "skeleton" molds made out of hard plastic. No problems since.:D

and I have clear earmolds with purple glitter in them!!!!! :D
mine's is in an old fashioned full shell xD

I have phonak naida is very good best technology is very new! I got new hearing aid today! :D

Back