Phonak Naida V UP

ljjehl

Reaction score
Just got my Naida V Up aids last week. I have had a preliminary adjustment with my aids, but as the audiologist has never worked with the aids before, I have another appointment to include the Phonak rep this coming Friday. I have a lot of questions to ask to try to get my aids adjusted to my liking, but I'm not 100% sure what to ask. I have looked at the Phonak website for clues and found a few tutorials resembling the fitting software used for these aids:

Tutorial Movies

I see several adjustments for music and other things I want to address to the Phonak rep, but I would like to know from all of you out there what main points to ask? I have a profound hearing loss of around 85-90 dB, so hopefully these aids will help, as I also have a Smartlink SX FM equipment to supplement these aids:

Phonak hearing systems - FM SmartLink SX

Smartlink SX is very cool, as it has bluetooth capability to connect to my phone and other bluetooth enabled devices.

I was hoping to find a checklist on the Phonak website to help me decide my preferences....hopefully anybody out there can give me some links or pointers to help me to have a successful initial fitting.

Thanks!!

Leo

Hi There!

You might want to check out the 'Phonak Naida' thread. There are a few of us useing Naidas and we have posted a lot of our observations and problems with them on there! Also you can check out my blog (URL in my signature) and CDMeggers blog as well!

Hope that helps a bit!

I just received my new Naida SPs just over a week ago after having worn a Starkey CE ITE for several years. I've already returned once to have the audiologist make some adjustments. Although I wish I could say otherwise, so far I'm not impressed. My loss is the same range, 85-90db, and I decided to go with the BTEs after the recommendation of three audiologists. The output range between the SP and UP was marginal, so I opted for the slightly smaller SP.

1) I certainly notice more power and amplification, but a loss of clarity. I would describe it as if one were trying to listen underwater. It also doesn't adequately shut out background noise even with the different programs, so in a loud environment it is very frustrating. Strike one.

2) I have not purchased any accessories such as Smartlink of iCom but just using the manual t-coil has not been satisfactory. With my Starkey I didn't even need to use t-coil in quiet settings on my cell phone. It was very clear, but when using the t-coil with the Naida SP it creates so much buzzing that I strain to hear the conversation. This was the case on my landline as well. Easyphone hasn't worked that well for me either, the magnet that is placed on the receiver has to be aligned to the hearing aid just right to activate it. Strike two.

3) I'm very uneasy about acquiring additional accessories such as an FM transmitter, smartlink, or iCom with such difficulties in the general setting. At this point, I'm going to see my audiologist, express my concerns and make a final attempt to adjust the settings. I'd like to give the Naida a fair trial.

audhin:

Did your audiologist that your hearing aid was working properly after it was programmed? You should have had thin tubes put into your ears that measure the output of the hearing aid. This is extremely important to a successful hearing aid fit. Your new hearing aids are much better then your previous ones, but if it is not programmed right it will never be... Good luck with everything!

I just received my new Naida SPs just over a week ago after having worn a Starkey CE ITE for several years. I've already returned once to have the audiologist make some adjustments. Although I wish I could say otherwise, so far I'm not impressed. My loss is the same range, 85-90db, and I decided to go with the BTEs after the recommendation of three audiologists. The output range between the SP and UP was marginal, so I opted for the slightly smaller SP.

1) I certainly notice more power and amplification, but a loss of clarity. I would describe it as if one were trying to listen underwater. It also doesn't adequately shut out background noise even with the different programs, so in a loud environment it is very frustrating. Strike one.

2) I have not purchased any accessories such as Smartlink of iCom but just using the manual t-coil has not been satisfactory. With my Starkey I didn't even need to use t-coil in quiet settings on my cell phone. It was very clear, but when using the t-coil with the Naida SP it creates so much buzzing that I strain to hear the conversation. This was the case on my landline as well. Easyphone hasn't worked that well for me either, the magnet that is placed on the receiver has to be aligned to the hearing aid just right to activate it. Strike two.

3) I'm very uneasy about acquiring additional accessories such as an FM transmitter, smartlink, or iCom with such difficulties in the general setting. At this point, I'm going to see my audiologist, express my concerns and make a final attempt to adjust the settings. I'd like to give the Naida a fair trial.

I'm going to give you a heads up regarding the Naidas.....it's not always going to work "out of the box"

1. The compression factor is causing the "underwater" sound you are experiencing. Your audiologist will have to play with the adjustments to make it better. If the audiologist has not had experience with this, he/she will have to get help from a Phonak rep. I've had a Phonak rep involved in 2 successful fittings I have had. It seems that this software used for this aid requires extensive training on the professional's part to have a successful fitting. I have had my aids adjusted at least 5 times so far, but some were as a result of my desire to have FM and bluetooth access for my aids (Smarklink SX/ iCom transmitters, custom Phonak ML10i receiver )

2. The buzzing on the cell from t-coil is usually the cell phone's fault. The Naida has better t-coil capability than there was 5 years ago. On the other hand, I have not really used the t-coil much, because I use my Smartlink SX and ML10i as my "bluetooth connection" to create a bluetooth hearing aid. I have not used the "easyphone" feature yet.

3. The FM and iCom is a couplement to the hearing aids capabilities, it is used to create a one-on-one communication and reduce or eliminate the background noise. I still have some issues with that route, but I'm getting better at it. Like I said, none of this stuff works out of the box. There has to be some trial and error before you find the best route with your hearing.

I think your best bet is to make sure your audiologist is well versed in the software used to adjust this aid, otherwise you will have letdowns. An initial adjustment with a Phonak rep is the best bet for success.

I think I've pretty much have given up on the Naida for myself. I hate having to open the battery door to turn it off, and switching programmings is slow (slower than switching programmings on the Supero!). I don't feel like it's worth my time or money, but that's just me. 2 months full of problems, replacements, meh. I don't know if Oticon will make any difference, I've been trying to find a hearing aid that would be of more benefit to me than the Phonak Supero that I have right now. But if there isn't any, I'll just stick with the Supero.

But.....what about the Naida aids? If you are not using them any more, are you able to return them for something else?

I think I've pretty much have given up on the Naida for myself. I hate having to open the battery door to turn it off, and switching programmings is slow (slower than switching programmings on the Supero!). I don't feel like it's worth my time or money, but that's just me. 2 months full of problems, replacements, meh. I don't know if Oticon will make any difference, I've been trying to find a hearing aid that would be of more benefit to me than the Phonak Supero that I have right now. But if there isn't any, I'll just stick with the Supero.

That's too bad! After...what is it now...4 months, I am finally happy and have tech problems sorted out. What brand of battery are you using? I discovered that Rayovac batteries are a little bit skinnier than other brands and don't work with the Naida, cause the on and off and fading sound stuff. I use PowerOne now and they work great.

Hmmmm.....I never had noticed that there was an issue with the Rayovac batteries...I liked these batteries because of the copper/gold end..they seem to conduct power better.....and last a bit longer. I have tried others with similar results, such as Everready and the generic Walgreen brand (they were out of the name brand :( ) In short, I seem to have better results when one of the ends were copper/gold based......

I've already returned the Naida hearing aid. I never paid for it yet, since it was a trial run and my audie wanted me to keep my money until it was for SURE the Naida was going to work.

I've gone the entire summer without wearing Naida for the most part because of problems, and because my audie's horrible at getting back to me via email. meh. Not worth my time, really. Least I have my new earmold, so it's all good. Almost full shell, but not quite. Let's say, it's full shell without the bit that goes into the top crook as that is my most sensitive part of the ear and is easily irritated. With previous earmolds, I've always had to clip/nip/smooth the top piece off... but this time, Westone took care of it!

I've already returned the Naida hearing aid. I never paid for it yet, since it was a trial run and my audie wanted me to keep my money until it was for SURE the Naida was going to work.

I've gone the entire summer without wearing Naida for the most part because of problems, and because my audie's horrible at getting back to me via email. meh. Not worth my time, really. Least I have my new earmold, so it's all good. Almost full shell, but not quite. Let's say, it's full shell without the bit that goes into the top crook as that is my most sensitive part of the ear and is easily irritated. With previous earmolds, I've always had to clip/nip/smooth the top piece off... but this time, Westone took care of it!

New earmolds are good. I am waiting on new ones still, well actually...I got new ones and I was crazy allergic to them. Like trip to the hospital allergic lol. So we are waiting to find something that won't kill me :P

I'm going to give you a heads up regarding the Naidas.....it's not always going to work "out of the box"

1. The compression factor is causing the "underwater" sound you are experiencing. Your audiologist will have to play with the adjustments to make it better. If the audiologist has not had experience with this, he/she will have to get help from a Phonak rep. I've had a Phonak rep involved in 2 successful fittings I have had. It seems that this software used for this aid requires extensive training on the professional's part to have a successful fitting. I have had my aids adjusted at least 5 times so far, but some were as a result of my desire to have FM and bluetooth access for my aids (Smarklink SX/ iCom transmitters, custom Phonak ML10i receiver )

2. The buzzing on the cell from t-coil is usually the cell phone's fault. The Naida has better t-coil capability than there was 5 years ago. On the other hand, I have not really used the t-coil much, because I use my Smartlink SX and ML10i as my "bluetooth connection" to create a bluetooth hearing aid. I have not used the "easyphone" feature yet.

3. The FM and iCom is a couplement to the hearing aids capabilities, it is used to create a one-on-one communication and reduce or eliminate the background noise. I still have some issues with that route, but I'm getting better at it. Like I said, none of this stuff works out of the box. There has to be some trial and error before you find the best route with your hearing.

I think your best bet is to make sure your audiologist is well versed in the software used to adjust this aid, otherwise you will have letdowns. An initial adjustment with a Phonak rep is the best bet for success.

ljjehl,
I was finally able to visit my audiologist for some tweaking. We managed to get a Phonak rep involved (at my urging) and one of the things that was done was adjusting the compression settings, just as you had mentioned in the post above, among a couple other minor adjustments. I'll have to try it a few days to really pick out any little nuances so we can fine tune it further. I still notice a slight reverberation, but it is still an improvement over the last two weeks. I feel like my only frame of reference is how my former Starkey CE ITE sounded, so it's hard to build on that and get an optimum performance out of these high end Naidas, since it is indeed not a device that works right out of the box; but I think a much of it has to do with an experienced Audiologist who really knows the product. At this point they are pretty much at par with my former Starkey soundwise. I'm hoping for some miraculous breakthrough where all the settings can be just right without having to go through countless audi visits. What are your thoughts so far with the FM transmitter and smarklink?

ljjehl,
I was finally able to visit my audiologist for some tweaking. We managed to get a Phonak rep involved (at my urging) and one of the things that was done was adjusting the compression settings, just as you had mentioned in the post above, among a couple other minor adjustments. I'll have to try it a few days to really pick out any little nuances so we can fine tune it further. I still notice a slight reverberation, but it is still an improvement over the last two weeks. I feel like my only frame of reference is how my former Starkey CE ITE sounded, so it's hard to build on that and get an optimum performance out of these high end Naidas, since it is indeed not a device that works right out of the box; but I think a much of it has to do with an experienced Audiologist who really knows the product. At this point they are pretty much at par with my former Starkey soundwise. I'm hoping for some miraculous breakthrough where all the settings can be just right without having to go through countless audi visits. What are your thoughts so far with the FM transmitter and smarklink?

I'm glad you got some Phonak help!! Sometimes that needs to be done, as the audiologists are too busy these days to make the time to learn the new software and the aids that it tweaks. I hope mine is getting better in her homework. :)

Well, to be honest with you, I'm still in the beginning stages of training with my Smartlink SX transmitter and FM ML10i receiver. I only have one, not two receivers as preferred, so I am making do with only one ear to listen to voices in a noisy environment. I notice if I reduce the sound of my aids the FM picks up the speaker's voice better. Right now I'm trying my system with my "automatic mode" of the Naidas. I'm tired of switching my modes around, I'd like my aid to be as fully automatic as possible. I'm making notes so I can get my aids adjusted to finetune the auto mode, as it works in three plus one ways. (calm, noise, comfort in noise, and FM modes) Right now the sounds of the fans, A/C, and other background noises are pretty irksome.....
As soon as I get a second RF receiver (or iCom) I should have some more positive responses with the Smartlink.

This is what I have used the Smartlink so far as: a bluetooth medium to speak on my cell phone, using my cell phone as a mp3 player, and some use in meetings at work. The first two works great, the last one has mixed reviews, because of the use of one ear instead of two.

I feel for you in all the audi visits. It seems that is the new way of doing things with digital aids, as they don't give you too much power in adjusting, just the volume, modes and on/off switch....LOL..

Final Update for Naidas?

An Update:

I just had another adjustment along with my new addition of the second FM receiver a week ago. In previous adjustments, I had the BassBoost turned off to try to remove the annoying sounds of the background humming nioses (a/c, fan, etc. ). This time round, I gradually boosted the BassBoost to the next level, which gave me the bass I sorely needed, and also gave me some background noise abatement to be able to stand the annoying sounds.

I can hear very clear with the 2 FM receivers as opposed to the single I had before. The length of waiting was none, since I am set as an experienced user with little adaptation needed. I had issues with the easyFM mode, which kept beeping and annoying me. This was turned off in the auto mode and used in one of my manuals. These two adjustments helped solved most of my complaints I've had over the past few months.

The easy FM and Phone options on the auto mode can't have the beeping turned off without turning off the beeps globally, so this is a warning to all out there that think the auto function is cool regarding FM and Phone.

The compressed sound feeling was from using the FM plus mic with BassBoost disabled. After enabling the BassBoost, this was partially solved and the rest forgiven

My next step is to finally add the "music" program in place of the Tcoil, as I already have FM as an alternative to the Tcoil setting. Hopefully I do not need Tcoil for anything, as I already use the FM for all my TCoil related options (Cell phone- bluetooth to FM, land-based phone-Audio jack to FM) I already use my FM only option to listen to music as well as the main use in meetings (audio jack or Bluetooth to computer)

I think I will be set after November 4th, which will probably be my fifth and final adjustment with Phonak involved. I've had a total of 7 adjustments.

Hi

I also have the same hearing aids and like yourself using the manual t-coil has not been satisfactory. when using the t-coil with the Naida SP I get buzzing/crackling and I also strain to hear the conversation. I overcame the problem with the cell by using an icom, but with the landline the problem is still there. Switxhing off the auotphone did not help.

Has anyone had any luck with this type of issue?

Hi

I also have the same hearing aids and like yourself using the manual t-coil has not been satisfactory. when using the t-coil with the Naida SP I get buzzing/crackling and I also strain to hear the conversation. I overcame the problem with the cell by using an icom, but with the landline the problem is still there. Switxhing off the auotphone did not help.

Has anyone had any luck with this type of issue?

I have not had any issues with this in the beginning, though I turned the feature off in favor of the FM feature, which I use in the Smartlink SX and ML10i receivers. I didn't really care for the TCoil, because of the initial issues with buzzing when being near electromagnetic fields such as overhead telephone wires and some computer equipment. FM use made the problem go away.....Sorry.....

Hi

Thanks for your speedy response. I think I need to figure out if it's me or the Naida. i've had numerous Phonak's plus other makes in the past with no T-coil issues. I've had the T-coil program checked with the Audi and all is apparently well. My guess is the iteraction of the T-coil with the particular induction loop in the landline phone I'm using - I'm going to investigate.

Hi

Thanks for your speedy response. I think I need to figure out if it's me or the Naida. i've had numerous Phonak's plus other makes in the past with no T-coil issues. I've had the T-coil program checked with the Audi and all is apparently well. My guess is the iteraction of the T-coil with the particular induction loop in the landline phone I'm using - I'm going to investigate.

Look at your surroundings. Flourescent lights, power lines, computer monitors and other devices generating electromagnetic fields will cause buzzing in a hearing aid while on TCoil mode.

Back