Paula Deen Fired for using Racial Slur

Reba said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by fulminty

If mute is offensive, then pray tell what word should be in circulation to describe a person who does not produce audible speech?….

First of all, there needs not be a labeling word at all.

If someone must be described, it's fine to say that he or she is deaf. Period. If more explanation is needed, then one can add, "His preferred mode of communication is American Sign Language," or "He prefers to communicate with speech reading and speaking," or "He prefers to communicate by writing notes."

Reba, my question does not assume someone to be deaf and mute, only mute. So for people lacking the ability to speak aloud due to an anatomical issue, that doesn't really work. Voice off suggests that the ability to speak audibly is present (as up suggests a down, off suggests an on), so it also leaves more ambiguity than Mute does.

I understand how many of the aforementioned terms can be offensive, but "mute" boggles the mind. It merely means a person producing no audible speech. It makes no suggestion of lack of intelligence, no suggestion of inferiority, in the same way that short or fat or blonde do not mean anything inherently negative.

I suppose we don't *need* to describe people as mute...or tall or muscular or nimble or ribald or sarcastic. I suppose we could just stare at each other and not communicate a single thought. But that'd be really boring.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Black music videos, rap music, and films aren't how most black people live, any more than most white music videos and films are accurate portrayals of average white people.

Street life is always the lowest common denominator in an urban community.

Have you been into the churches and homes of black people? Have you attended their weddings, deaths, and funerals? Have they been your neighbors, clients, teachers and co-workers? Do you have black relatives and friends?

I can say yes to all the above. I haven't lived a sheltered life.

Don't waste your breath , you know you have not lived a sheltered life and that all that really count.

Reba, my question does not assume someone to be deaf and mute, only mute. So for people lacking the ability to speak aloud due to an anatomical issue, that doesn't really work. Voice off suggests that the ability to speak audibly is present (as up suggests a down, off suggests an on), so it also leaves more ambiguity than Mute does.

I understand how many of the aforementioned terms can be offensive, but "mute" boggles the mind. It merely means a person producing no audible speech. It makes no suggestion of lack of intelligence, no suggestion of inferiority, in the same way that short or fat or blonde do not mean anything inherently negative.

I suppose we don't *need* to describe people as mute...or tall or muscular or nimble or ribald or sarcastic. I suppose we could just stare at each other and not communicate a single thought. But that'd be really boring.
If someone can't speak, then you could say "He can't speak."

"Mute" is more of a label, and "can't speak" is more of a description.

Yes you did and thank you..:wave:. I just wanted a feedback from Shel90 since her husband is Black and felt/thought he could give more insight of it...

Seems there are very, very few members of color here and wondering "why"...or they don't post?

I've been reading these boards for awhile (HOH), but registered to answer this as it is really annoying to have people think they know everything about a culture.

1. All black people are not the same. I know - crazy thought. Turns out it's better that people be judged as actual independent human beings and not as "THOSE PEOPLE."

2. I know a ton black people. I know a ton of white people. I live in the south. I do not know or associate with anyone who uses that phrase outside of historical context (reading something from the past/historic documents...I work in a museum).

3. "Why black people don't respond to this thread?" Same reason I pretend to ignore people who ask about my HA or being HOH...it is annoying to constantly explain to people who believe they hold all the secrets of all the HoH/Black/Archivists/Insert Any Group that they do not.

4. Hollywood is not reality. All black people do not gang members.I also do not know elves, unicorns, Russian mafia members, Oprah or the Cake Boss. Turn out that TV isn't real.

5. Consider this last thing. If I (as a black person) cannot speak for all black people on Earth, how can so many people in this tread?

I read this site because it uplifted me and then I run into threads like this.

Everyone has said a mean thing or two, Paula has accounted for what she said, but the dirt digging media are loving the backlash for sales/ratings. I wish they'd give it a rest, what she's going through is brutal and not worth over a few choice words. I've been called a Rebel girl (I'm from NC), but I take it in stride and educate the individual. Further insults are really unnecessary.

Being called a "Rebel girl" is the not the same correlation as a white person - or a person perceived as white - using the N-word.
Thinking it is the same, means that racism and all the implications, certainly has not diminished by a huge degree.

Does anyone think the term "creepy-ass cracker" is racist?

The real people this will affect does not include Paula Deen. There will be layoffs due to lack of sponsorships and income. Her staff will be greatly diminished, but personally she will not be going to the poor house any time soon.

the difference is.... Paula was an adult when she said racist thing...
A racist remark is a racist remark. The cracker remark was supposedly uttered by a 17-year-old and quoted by another teen (19). That teen stated emphatically that it was not a racist comment.

I'm not excusing Deen for what she said but pointing out that condemnation of racist language is not equally enforced.

Last edited:
I do think "creepy-ass cracker" is a mean and hurtful thing to say. But racist - no.
Racism involves the historical and ongoing overall power <historically physical as well as in terms of economics, access to education, housing and other benefits and resources> of one large group over another group.

I do think "creepy-ass cracker" is a mean and hurtful thing to say. But racist - no.
Racism involves the historical and ongoing overall power <historically physical as well as in terms of economics, access to education, housing and other benefits and resources> of one large group over another group.
The term "cracker" is applied to white people by black people, so it is used as a racial pejorative.

Racism is a prejudice directed against someone of a specific race. It has nothing to do with majorities or minorities.

Big Company fired Sergio Garcio for called Tiger Woods a "Fried chicken" racial joke. He loss of sponsors.

Paula Deen loss of sponsors, too. Walmart, QVC and other companys.

Big Company fired Sergio Garcio for called Tiger Woods a "Fried chicken" racial joke. He loss of sponsors.

Paula Deen loss of sponsors, too. Walmart, QVC and other companys.

Oh, I forgot.. First place was Professional golfer Fuzzy Zoeller in 1997. He called him a fried chicken joke, Kmart fired him, loss of sponsor and then, second place It may be copycat Serigo Garico.

Being called a "Rebel girl" is the not the same correlation as a white person - or a person perceived as white - using the N-word.
Thinking it is the same, means that racism and all the implications, certainly has not diminished by a huge degree.

Rebel girl definitely implies as a potential racist remark from a black individual. Obviously, you have no perceived reasoning as what constitutes as a racist remark do you.

That woman already screwed herself. Damage is done, now Target is cutting ties with her.

When anyone is in public under any company, they got to be damn careful what they say. The reason is because whoever works for company said something, it represents as a company not the employee so company don't want these kinds of comments. Any companies can't afford these kinds of comment because it is simply a legal liability. Legal liability is NOT cheap! And that it CAN kill company if company "accepted" them.

Back