Parents may not understand or recall risks associated with children's surgery

And so does Rick.

But feeling something and attacking parents are two different things.

Yea, Rick has a right to his feelings. Did anyone say that he doesnt? SouthFella expressed his feelings on children being implanted and he was attacked. That is where I find it unfair. You are saying that Rick has a right to his opinion and feelings...fine by me..but so does Southfella.

Cant have it both ways.

What I hear from parents is "I want my child to use the language of the majority as their first language."
Well there's nothing wrong with that. Oral abilty IS a good idea. But the question is whether or not dhh kids can be totally fluent in speech. Yes, the old days of most "oral" kids having severe expressive language delays is long gone. BUT there are STILL kids who cannot aquire fluent speech abilty. Heck, even with the "oral sucesses" there are STILL many kids who have MAJOR social issues (they cannot use spoken language in a pragmatic social context, and figures of speech still screw them up)
I think its good that parents want their kids to be oral. BUT, they should also think " my kid needs a full toolbox! Maybe they could REALLY achieve with ASL!"

As what happens often with a certain poster, Jillio, she ignores what I wrote, distorts and misrepresents it to fit her agenda and then off to the races we go.

Here is what I wrote about southfella's post:

"faire jour and other parents considering and/or who have children with cochlear implants:

Do not waste your time and energy on people like southfella for there is nothing you can say or no example of the tens of thousands of children who benefit daily from their cochlear implant that will have any effect upon people like him..."

Very simple advice to faire jour and other parents of cochlear implanted children. Don't waste your time responding to such posts as these people will never change, no matter how many examples of cochlear implants benefiting a child's life you present to them.

Of course Jillio then morphs it into her favorite distortion -- that I am saying not to value the opinions of those who are deaf. However if you read my entire post you will see that I clearly state the exact opposite and urge parents to seek out the opinions of those who are deaf when considering the cochlear implant. And of course she goes on to add her favorite that I insult the entire deaf community, although I have asked her to cite one such post she never does.

She is precisely the reason why I and others have stopped posting here as she constantly attacks parents of successfully implanted children. Her cochlear envy is really showing!
Once Jillio is back here, you come back, too. According to you, you are supposed to leave here once she is back, and come back when she is gone. Are you ok?
Parents do not waste your time arguing with these people, focus your time and energy into your cochlear implant decision and your child. Seek out as many diverse opinions as you can and then be guided by your own common sense as to which opinions are credible and which are not.

There are tens of thousands of implanted children, some now in their 20s who are the best evidence of what impact a cochlear implant can have upon a person's life. Seek these people out and listen to their stories.

Rick

Many of their stories are frightening, and I personally have to try stop some of them from commiting suicide. It's only when they are filtered through AG Bell and likes, they become acceptable for you. I accept all, while you only accept happy stories. Shame on you.

The eternal problem with the "let children decide when they are old enough" debate is that you will not always get a forward-looking decision. Often you will get "I wish my parents had done x when I was y years old". It works in both directions, with children who wish they had been implanted earlier so they would have grown up with language input, children who wish they had gone to a bilingual school not an oral school, children who wish their parents had left them alone to be Deaf and not faffed around with implants.

My deaf friend from uni was not permitted to sign at home, and her parents pushed and pushed for anything oral. Despite not being a well-off family her parents paid for perhaps the first CI operation in the UK. She hated it, she didn't want to hear, she wanted to be left alone, and she never wore it again after she left her parents' influence.

I wish my parents had made me wear my hearing aids when I first got them, but then again I would have been really angry at the time, so in respecting my decision as a HOH child not to wear my aids they also helped me to create future problems for myself.

So that's why parents always have to think about whether they are making a decision that suits their child's future, as waiting until the child is old enough to decide may result in the child wishing they had decided differently. Plus the fact that there is no non-decision, everything is a decision. You cannot pause the world until your child is old enough to say I would like/not like a device of whatever kind. By deciding not to act you are as much making a decision as by deciding to act. "No" is a decision too.

I am more comfortable by encouraging kids to try anything with any form of objects or tools that no foreign objects in them. Then They have been training with anything or any form of tools to understand or struggle with extra efforts. Obvisouly, they will decide to pursue with more risks with foreign objects in them since they are ready for it. That's just me.

Back