Parents may not understand or recall risks associated with children's surgery

PFH is right... to an extent. It depends on entirely who did most of the child-rearing.

Teaching me how to speak was hard on my mom since ASL was her second language (or was it third?), but it was harder on my stepdad to learn ASL than it is to correct my speech.

I don't disagree with that at all. I would think that would be a given.

I personally found learning ASL and providing an ASL rich, voice-off Deaf enviroment much easier than the whole "listening-spoken language-hearing" path has been.

Perhaps that has been your experience. Quite obviously, it is not the experience of all. If it were so much "easier" we would have numerous hearing parents taking the time to learn ASL. The main complaint of hearing parents is that it is too hard.

Perhaps that has been your experience. Quite obviously, it is not the experience of all. If it were so much "easier" we would have numerous hearing parents taking the time to learn ASL. The main complaint of hearing parents is that it is too hard.

What I hear from parents is "I want my child to use the language of the majority as their first language."

Right.

As illustrated by my own two parents. One learned ASL a decade before I was born; the other never tried learning until mom re-married around age 3 or 4. Both spouses have different opinions of what is easier.

I personally found learning ASL and providing an ASL rich, voice-off Deaf enviroment much easier than the whole "listening-spoken language-hearing" path has been.

Too bad many parents don't think that way.

And I never said Lazy. It's just more convenient for parents to be able just to "Speak to their child" is the gist of what I am getting in the deaf community.

"The majority" meaning the language of function for the country in which they live.

Ahhh....the whole point. A deaf child does not belong to the group that makes up the majority. They belong to a subgroup of that majority. What is best for the majority is not always best for the subgroup. In fact, it rarely is.

Ahhh....the whole point. A deaf child does not belong to the group that makes up the majority. They belong to a subgroup of that majority. What is best for the majority is not always best for the subgroup. In fact, it rarely is.

In your opinion.

Just remember that at the heart of this thread is an article that has nothing to do with the risk factors behind surgery, but the effectiveness of communication between parents and physicians. We might get some different/additional perspectives if we floated these responses under a heading about pros/cons of implants.

Just remember that at the heart of this thread is an article that has nothing to do with the risk factors behind surgery, but the effectiveness of communication between parents and physicians. We might get some different/additional perspectives if we floated these responses under a heading about pros/cons of implants.

Agreed. And we have discussed the effectiveness of physician communication regarding implantation many times here. It has been a general consensus that the medical community, more often than not, provides parents with a very biased and incomplete communication.

Not my opinion. A simple fact. A deaf child is not a hearing child. Therefore, they don't belong to the group that is categorized based on hearing status.

It is your opinion that what is best for the majority is not best for the minority.

It is your opinion that what is best for the majority is not best for the minority.

Nope...proven fact. And logic.

The majority of this country is female. It is good for them to have a paps smear every year. However, not so good for the male minority.

What I hear from parents is "I want my child to use the language of the majority as their first language."

I have seen people work really hard, still one can say they choose the easy way. In those cases, one can say that the easy way it to use energy to avoid facing prejudices and the root of insecurity within oneself. Too often, the insecurity is too huge and the prejudices too deep burried. This gives some parents a hard time to accept the difference in beeing deaf, and they will also fail to understand how deaf people can enjoy beeing different.

To those parents, the term "easy way", as used by deaf people, becomes meaningless and not possible to gasp.

Nope...proven fact. And logic.

The majority of this country is female. It is good for them to have a paps smear every year. However, not so good for the male minority.

Actually, I heard that there is a "male pap smear" that is recommended for some men, to screen for anal cancer.

Actually, I heard that there is a "male pap smear" that is recommended for some men, to screen for anal cancer.

There is a test that is done to check for rectal cancer. It is performed on both men and women, and is not a paps smear.

Back