Parents may not understand or recall risks associated with children's surgery

I just don't see what's the emergency of implanting a child. I really don't see the harm of being deaf. Really.

SouthFella is entitled to his opinion. If one disagrees with him, that's fine but to tell others not to listen to him isnt fair.

Just my opinion.

Isn't Rick entitled to his opinion that parents shouldn't listen to southfella too? Aren't you doing the exact same thing by saying not to listen to Rick?

My problem lies in using words like "disgusted" "trying to fix", etc (especially from someone who has a CI, irony!) That's all.

Isn't Rick entitled to his opinion that parents shouldn't listen to southfella too? Aren't you doing the exact same thing by saying not to listen to Rick?

My problem lies in using words like "disgusted" "trying to fix", etc (especially from someone who has a CI, irony!) That's all.

He's an adult. He make his own decision. Just like someone decide to put tattoo on their skin, or have a nose job, or whatever.

I am disgusted by fish but not everyone is disgusted by it. His views but not everyone will share that and there is nothing wrong with that.

I am disgusted by fish but not everyone is disgusted by it. His views but not everyone will share that and there is nothing wrong with that.

And if you sought out fish to tell them how disgusting they are, I would think you were wrong too.

He's an adult. He make his own decision. Just like someone decide to put tattoo on their skin, or have a nose job, or whatever.

So it is great that he can benefit from a CI, but "disgusting" if a parent gives their child the same benefit?

And if you sought out fish to tell them how disgusting they are, I would think you were wrong too.

He is talking about his feelings. He has a right to his feelings. How can you tell someone that they are wrong for how they feel about something? :confused:

He is talking about his feelings. He has a right to his feelings. How can you tell someone that they are wrong for how they feel about something? :confused:

And so does Rick.

But feeling something and attacking parents are two different things.

FJ - I agree with SouthFella to a certain extent.

Most parents with child who are implanted use it to make things "easy". These parents are the ones I am not too pleased with.

I wouldn't take it too personally if I were you, FJ. You're one of a kind.

I disagree that you must value *every* deaf person's opinion, just because they are Deaf. (No one here recommends parents listen to Kokonut, do they?) I don't think hearing status necessarily means they are they same life experience. There is such a variety within the deaf-hoh world that, while Deaf adults can provide a wonderful insight into what their life experience was, living with deafness, it won't necessarily translate into what another will experience.

Where exactly did I say "every"? Please read as written.

Rick is entitled to voice his opinion. Unfortunately, the way in which he consistently does so is to dismiss those he disagrees with.

BTW...there is also virtually nothing wrong with pointing out that his opinion is coming from a hearing perspective and not the perspective which applies most readily to the deaf.

So....you think that someone voicing their opinion that a CI is disgusting is wrong, yet you fully support a hearing poster who consistently dismisses and insults the deaf community. Rather hypocritical, isn't it?

FJ - I agree with SouthFella to a certain extent.

Most parents with child who are implanted use it to make things "easy". These parents are the ones I am not too pleased with.

I wouldn't take it too personally if I were you, FJ. You're one of a kind.

I have been to John Tracy Clinic, AG Bell, AV International, and lots of other "oral" stuff, and I personally knows MANY (probably 50 families I know well, and another 100 or so as acquaintances and double that number electronically) and one thing I would NEVER say is that they are lazy!!!!

They may have a different outlook, perspective and goals than you do, but they are working their butts off to make sure their kids are reaching their milestones and getting the services they need. Naive, maybe, uninformed, perhaps about Deaf culture, but lazy, never!

Easy does not equate to lazy.

I learned how to speak and wore hearing aids when I was little so it would be easier to communicate with non-ASLers... I made that choice myself when I was little. He didn't say lazy.

So....you think that someone voicing their opinion that a CI is disgusting is wrong, yet you fully support a hearing poster who consistently dismisses and insults the deaf community. Rather hypocritical, isn't it?

I'm not supporting anyone. But if we are saying that everyone has the right to their feelings, that must be extended to even the most vile, offensive, audist of statements.

I learned how to speak and wore hearing aids when I was little so it would be easier to communicate with non-ASLers... I made that choice myself when I was little. He didn't say lazy.

Ok, he didn't, you are right, thanks!

But again, I wouldn't say that a CI and spoken language is the easy way either!

Exactly. And any job is made infinately easier when one uses the tools intended specifically for the job.:cool2:

Ok, he didn't, you are right, thanks!

But again, I wouldn't say that a CI and spoken language is the easy way either!

Nor would I say that choosing the other alternative is easy. Yet the poster whom you are defending has said that numerous times.

Exactly. And any job is made infinately easier when one uses the tools intended specifically for the job.:cool2:

PFH is right... to an extent. It depends on entirely who did most of the child-rearing.

Teaching me how to speak was hard on my mom since ASL was her second language (or was it third?), but it was harder on my stepdad to learn ASL than it is to correct my speech.

Nor would I say that choosing the other alternative is easy. Yet the poster whom you are defending has said that numerous times.

I personally found learning ASL and providing an ASL rich, voice-off Deaf enviroment much easier than the whole "listening-spoken language-hearing" path has been.

Back