our puppy attacked by stray pitbull

*goose pump & scare* after read all the whole thread here. :( Those thread here remind me of 2 other threads of last year.

Picture of poor girl... :(
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=19150&highlight=pitbull

I told the story about my co-worker's 5 years old niece who was attacked by her family pet pitbull last year.
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=8444&highlight=pitbull

I'm really glad that Rocky get better but I beleive it would got him nightmare forever, :( Doofymama.

police sound like do nothing with it.. just say will sent animal control.. 5 min later.. the animal control picked up the pitbull and said that pitbull isnt first time.. had been trouble before..... also said.. will hold the dog till the owner come get him.. I was like what?? if it did before.. why not put to sleep? hes dangerous after first bite... animal control said there is no law..

:wtf: as what animal control said that pitbull had been trouble before. It look like that they do NOTHING? They are supposing to warn the pitbull owner to keep pitbull indoor instead let pitbull go out alone... It's toooo responsible of the owner to let pitbull go out alone when she KNEW that pitbull hurt anyone before? It's police duty to warn or get the owner the penatly fine for let dangerous dog go out alone case they might hurt HUMNAN....

I am just overwhelmed.. thankful that pitbull didnt go after our kids.. (espically marshalee or allen..).. thankful that Rocky is alive but he wont be the same... will be scarred for his life.

Yes, I'm REALLY glad that pitbull didn't hurt your kids. Thank God!!!! Normally the owner should keep pitbull indoor. If pitbull want go out then the owner is responsible to be there to watch pitbull around or take them for a walk.

Do whatever you can, but, make sure that you submit your medical bill from the vet to the owners of the pitbull, and maybe now these owners will wake up and take the proper precaution to keep their dog on a leash, or locked up in it's own yard.

Exactly, the owner is obligate to pay the bill where her/his dog hurt your dog. It's bad luck if they don't have dog insurance.

.. animal control said that owner denied that pitbull are dangerous unless other dogs threatened him...

:wtf: it look like that the owner refused to pay the vet bill to cover the cost of your Rocky? Animal Control MUST have known that it's not first time... Do nothing? what a f**king joking. :madfawk:

Hitting the pitbull with sticks will not work. Water hose or big bucket full of water are best as pitbull always get confused like what? They will let go of the dog in the mouth as the muscle is all way from mouth to the head that's why they are very strong. They can rip off muscle, break bones, ears, and eyes etc..

wow, interesting that cold water would help. Next time I will remember it... Thank you for recommend. :thumb:

yes.. i am not going to have owner pay only vet bill.. i will have have owner pay for suffering and pain.. cuz Rocky will have permament injury on his front leg and shoulder.. that what vet said.. torn muscle.. might lose nerve will follow up in 14 days.. (remove stitches) and check leg.. then 3 months for check up again.. yes.. 2 of our kids saw whole thing.. they couldnt sleep.. tonight.. i gave them tyentol to relieve headaches and sleep..

----leaving Rocky alone and let him rest.

Yes, you can do SOMETHING that the owner neglect his/her responsible for let pitbull go out which they KNEW it's not first time that pitbull attacked anyone.

they studied that pit bulls are more dangerous to all breed.. though..

True, Pitbull & other dog fighter were banned in Germany because they are dangerous dog.

the animal control and police on phone said, its LOW protriety .. and they sent animal control.. if dog attacks human being.. they will sent polices and forces.. I told police.. "pitbull" .. they gave me shrugs looks.. like "i know"

I can't believe this! This is not logically because they must have known that it's owner's responsible for let pitbull go out alone which they knew it's not safety. Normally the owner should pay the penatly fine for neglect their responsible.

I would suggest you to check with Legal Adviser over the rights because it's pain wrong to let dangerous dog to go out alone... they might hurt anyone again.

All what I pray for your poor Rocky to get well... As what I saw the picture... His healthy goes improve but nightmare... :(

Cheri: Thanks for the link.. it helpful...I find this interesting because it has no Minnesota listed .... (http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweilers/laws/breedspecific.html)..

Banjo Thanks for the info links about breeds, I know you are trying make point view about all breeds can be dangerous. but i found this link and.. "What exactly is a pit bull? Defining it has proved to be a formidable legal hurdle because the pit bull is not a specific breed. Rather, it is a kind of dog, a generic catchall like hound or retriever. The breeds most commonly referred to as pit bulls are the American Staffordshire terrier, which is the term used by the American Kennel Club, and the American pit bull terrier, the term used by the United Kennel Club. The men who match pit bulls in fights today do not bother with such formalities; they refer to their animals as bulldogs -- a nickname which should not confuse pit bulls with the pug-faced and bowlegged English bulldog, a distant relative, or the bullterrier, another relation whose bloodline was softened long ago by crossbreeding with the English Terrier. Pit bulls come in almost any color; their ears may be cropped or uncropped; their noses either red or black; and their height and weight merely proportionate -- with the weight parameters ranging from under 20 pounds to upwards of 100. Their muzzles are wedgelike, their jaws powerful and their heads blocky. A pit bull's coat will be short and glossy, shimmering over a compact frame tightly bound in muscle." E.M. Swift, "The Pit Bull: Friend and Killer. Is the Pit Bull a Fine Animal, As Its Admirers Claim, Or Is It a Vicious Dog, Unfit For Society?" Sports Illustrated, 07-27-1987, pp 72.)
its interesting ... also, thanks for your thoughts too..:)

^Angel^ said:
You can't just shoot it just because a dog is on your property, but you can shoot it if the dog did attacked ya, That would be protecting yourself... :)
Yes I agree with you... and I will make sure the owner isnt getting away..
Crazymomma Yes he is remarkable! hes want to speed his recovery..

Tousi yes i agreed.. I have see documentary or tv shows about it on tv while back..

^Angel^ said:
^Angel^ said:
edited}

Any update on the owner's dog and how is your dog feelings now?...DoofusMama :)
this morning, he woke me up and wanted to go outside.. (he remebered!).. and he went potty and tried to go #2 but couldnt.. I will stop by vet to pick up something for his #2 after I go cityhall and police dept to get the copy of report that i made call, and get info from the owner..
but so far, he is doing well.. he adapt with his leg so well, looks like he might not lose the nerves but wait for a week or two.. to see if he ability to use his leg fully..
I dont have idea of the owner doing.. i am going to find out at police dept.

Cheri said:
One more thing Annie, Was Rocky only gotten bite on his leg? I could see a open wound there. Poor Rocky, I bet he was so frighten and doesn't know what hit him. I can only image.
yes and no.. he got bitten on his leg that one stays on it for long time (wont let go that neighbors and marcus put stick in pitbull mouth to release the lock jaw on rocky leg.. but rocky have alot of bumps and swollen on his neck and his mouth and ears and back legs even his tail... he also was hit by sticks (by accident) cuz the dogs were on each other and rolled around.. neighbors and marcus tried to hit pitbull but accident hit Rocky few times.. he has two seriously injury.. his leg and his chest.. (behind the leg).. that total over 10 stitches..

Nesmuth probably they put the dog to sleep... I am glad that your dog lived longer..
RebelGirl said:
Is Rocky part of a blue heeler??? i noticed around his neck that looks to be part blue heeler...
Yes he is Blue Heeler Cattledog mix..
Liza thanks!

Liebling:-))) said:
I found the link and hope this link help you over the dog law in
Minnesota. They have Statute Name, Citation, Summary list.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/topicstatutes/sttodd.htm

Good Luck

thanks for the link... first of all.. I know i was so :mad: and :madfawk: about the law..

After I read and checked our state Minnesota.. I was like "wtf" they are more like issues about rabid and muzzle.. thats why I am going to cityhall in couple hours.. to make copies of dog law in Minnesota.. and will submit to the councils and Reps... to see if they do something better than that...

DoofusMama said:
After I read and checked our state Minnesota.. I was like "wtf" they are more like issues about rabid and muzzle.. thats why I am going to cityhall in couple hours.. to make copies of dog law in Minnesota.. and will submit to the councils and Reps... to see if they do something better than that...

Go for it girl, you ROCK! :applause:

Liza said:
DM: I'm really sorry about Rocky and distress your family went through. Looks like a fine dog and hope he keeps on recovering.

I thought the same about the pitbull owners. They deserve to pay the consequences and it wasn't the first time they've had a pitbull attack under their care, and it doesn't seem like they have their pitbull efficiently restrained - with muzzle or something like that. I wonder if they are also guilty of abusing that bloodthirsty pitbull. This case definitely needs to be checked out!

Liza, hi!
Something just occured to me....you know how it is in breeding animals, breeders see to it that certain physical & dispositional traits appear and let's say, this takes 100 years (not long) to take effect. I'm wondering how long the pit-bull's been abused thus far so that eventually all the nastiness that is directed at this breed TODAY will, in fact, become ingrained and will no longer be the relatively loving, docile breed that it is today?

An example of this comes to mind and that is the Morgan horse of yester-year and the Morgan of today are 2 different physical specimens and that transformation took only about 100 years.

(feel sick in tummy)...

I went to police dept to collect the informations of report calls.. there are 3 calls.. included my daughter and neighbors.. they were screaming for POLICE..... same statement that opr told them, animal control will be there shortly.. and throw water at the dogs.. and make sure no one (humans) are hurt..
and collected information about that pitbull's owner.. (my tummy twisted).. that owner have 3 pitbulls.. all 3 have previous records.. they are repeat offenders.. *SIGH*...

I went to city hall .. got the copies of DOG LAWS all counties of Minnesota.. its interesting to read.. nothing do with dog vicious/bite ....
I told them that i am press charge.. my neighbors flipped.. and explained me that.. I have to pay court fee, might be there no win-win.. because the judge doesnt support dog issues.. wtf!! so.. neighbors are going to work on petition... and see how it will go..

*sigh*..

That's really stinks DoofusMama!! I can't believe the owner has 3 pitbulls, and yet they're getting away with it again and again and AGAIN!....What more does it take for them to do something about it, there has to be a law, and what you guys need to do is try to make it a law in your hometown, otherwise they'll keep getting away with it and there will be no justice for those pet lovers out there...

And I'm curious, are they waiting until some kid to die? or a pet ?...before they will actually do something about it?...

Sorry to say it but Minnesota laws for pets sucks! I cannot believe they won't do anything after third time strike? How many before they can actually do something about the situation? None? I'll take Rachel's advice, she says she would help you with the situation since she lives in Minnesota too.

You know, about a year or two, my son was almost attacked by a pitbull also, which was a friend of my son's father pitbull. When we came over to visited the pill bull went up to Jordan bite him in the arm, but good thing Jordan was wearing a winter coat, and We all were around when it happened, so nothing further appear to happen because the friend took the pitbull down the basement, was surprised that his dog reacted that way to Jordan. Some people kept saying it's how you treat the dogs, is why they go off attacking others, but that not always the case, sometimes dogs snapped it does happen but some people just don't wanna see it that way.

DoofusMama said:
(feel sick in tummy)...
I feel want to :hug: you.

I went to police dept to collect the informations of report calls.. there are 3 calls.. included my daughter and neighbors.. they were screaming for POLICE..... same statement that opr told them, animal control will be there shortly.. and throw water at the dogs.. and make sure no one (humans) are hurt..
and collected information about that pitbull's owner.. (my tummy twisted).. that owner have 3 pitbulls.. all 3 have previous records.. they are repeat offenders.. *SIGH*...

Oh noooooooooooooooo! It got me mad... They do NOTHING but allow the owner to let her/his pitbull go out alone without his/her supersivor... like what I said in my previous post.

I went to city hall .. got the copies of DOG LAWS all counties of Minnesota.. its interesting to read.. nothing do with dog vicious/bite ....
I told them that i am press charge.. my neighbors flipped.. and explained me that.. I have to pay court fee, might be there no win-win.. because the judge doesnt support dog issues.. wtf!! so.. neighbors are going to work on petition... and see how it will go..

*sigh*..

I would recommend you to check with Legal Adviser about the rights. Tell them everything what you told us here. Legal Adviser cost you nothing but they only give you rights & will tell you that you has good chance or not... Depend what they can do for you without take the cost from you. Worth try to check with them... Yes, I´m agree that it would cost you alot of money to file a lawsuit but it would be okay if you have insure Family legal protection insurance. It will cover lawyer/court costs.

I hope you have Family Legal Protection insurance, don´t you?

I dont know that you have Family Legal Protection Insurance in your country or not... If yes, it´s worth to join them for your family safety... We insured for years due our family´s safety. I can file a lawsuit against anything if it´s happened to my family.

Liebling:-))) said:
I would recommend you to check with Legal Adviser about the rights. Tell them everything what you told us here. Legal Adviser cost you nothing but they only give you rights & will tell you that you has good chance or not... Depend what they can do for you without take the cost from you. Worth try to check with them... Yes, I´m agree that it would cost you alot of money to file a lawsuit but it would be okay if you have insure Family legal protection insurance. It will cover lawyer/court costs.

I hope you have Family Legal Protection insurance, don´t you?

I dont know that you have Family Legal Protection Insurance in your country or not... If yes, it´s worth to join them for your family safety... We insured for years due our family´s safety. I can file a lawsuit against anything if it´s happened to my family.

Unfournately ... No there are no family legal protection insurance.. thats find me interesting.. I never heard of that.. neighbors just informed me that the neighbors wanted to have town meeting.. will update when or which date..

There's nothing else for me to do right now.. just wait ... to see what neighbor town meeting.. see if they want to support my case and submit the law for dog law..

^Angel^ said:
And I'm curious, are they waiting until some kid to die? or a pet ?...before they will actually do something about it?...

thats what i thought of that!! what are their next plan !.. sheesh

Cheri said:
Sorry to say it but Minnesota laws for pets sucks! I cannot believe they won't do anything after third time strike? How many before they can actually do something about the situation? None? I'll take Rachel's advice, she says she would help you with the situation since she lives in Minnesota too.

You know, about a year or two, my son was almost attacked by a pitbull also, which was a friend of my son's father pitbull. When we came over to visited the pill bull went up to Jordan bite him in the arm, but good thing Jordan was wearing a winter coat, and We all were around when it happened, so nothing further appear to happen because the friend took the pitbull down the basement, was surprised that his dog reacted that way to Jordan. Some people kept saying it's how you treat the dogs, is why they go off attacking others, but that not always the case, sometimes dogs snapped it does happen but some people just don't wanna see it that way.

Gosh your son is lucky!!!! :hug:

and everyone.. :hug: thanks so much for input such kinderess and support..

DoofusMama said:
(feel sick in tummy)...

*sigh*..

GOSH!! I hope town hall will do something to enforce dog laws. The owner of three pitbulls is stupid. You can sue him for Rocky's vet costs. I hope the pitbulls put to sleep since they repeated hurting other dogs. Damn. hugs for u, family, and Rocky

CODAchild said:
:( DoofusMama, I am so sorry to hear about Rocky, and I do hope that he will be back with your family really soon. Thank God the children were not hurt by that pitbull. But, if the police did tell you that this dog has attacked before, then they would take the dog away, and then try to find the owners of the dog to notify them that their dog has attacked your dog. Also, I am not sure in your state, but, in most states, there is a leash law, and that it's against the law for owners to let their dog go astray without a leash. You also have the right to submit your vet bill to the owners of the pitbull seeing as this dog has entered your property without a proper leash or the owner being available at the time. Unfortunately, they won't put a pitbull to sleep unless this pitbull has killed another animal, or has severely wounded a child. But, don't give up your fight, this pitbull needs to be put away. The sad part is, these pitbulls are raised to be mean by the owners, other than that, they are usually sweet dogs. There are very few of them that have a sweet personality.
Do whatever you can, but, make sure that you submit your medical bill from the vet to the owners of the pitbull, and maybe now these owners will wake up and take the proper precaution to keep their dog on a leash, or locked up in it's own yard.
I hope Rocky will be better soon. Keep us updated!!

it is true... cuz we have a pitbull mix (lab, dalmation and pitbull) .. one of the most bright, sweetest and affectionate dogs i have ever owned... the vet even said she has a mind of a three year old child... i don't mean to brag.. but that's the truth.. :) i'll post a picture of her when i go back home as i am in chicago for a few weeks visiting my boyfriend!!! :D

doofus ... i am really sorry you had to endure this experience :hug:

and that those owners didn't responsible of their dog(s)... sheesh!!! but thank god rocky is ok!!! he is such an adorable dog!!! and looks so lovable/huggable!!! :D and something should be done about this situation and previous situations to prevent future occurances (sp?) before IT IS TOO LATE!!! :ugh: and the owners better not/shouldn't get away with it this time!!! sheesh!!!

i was watching animal planet the show animal cops and they were after these drug users who used pitbulls as dog fighters. The disgusting part was that they tied up puppy pitbulls to a cage and put duct tape around the poor dogs mouth so it couldn't defend itself and let the other dog chew on him to build up dog fighting confidence. I don't understand how people can just sit there and watch this happen. :tears:

yah i saw that epsidioe

i was in kauai when i got the news of mama annie's rocky and i SHIT A BRICK that my gyrl was ilke what happeend? i told her what happened she said they are wrong WRONG to let that dog lose in the first place and 2nd thing to allow the dog to attack another helpless puppy SOUNDS ilke that dog is wanting to fight so used rocky as a scapegoat after all he was tied up .. get the clue mama???

when a dog is tied up and defenseless, pitbulls use that as a clue to fight back thier terriority. So makes sense in every aspect. why???? cuz as many of us seen on animal planet, pitbulls do fight with thier pits or the defendless animal to buff up on the next fighting time. AND not only that... 3 priors? shld have put the dogs to sleep period. u shld contact animal planet and get animal cops on the ball to help advocate ur rights cuz UR DEAF and rocky was to be ur hearing dog until the attack happened. SO hurt the chances of your dog being able to help u because he was defendless poor little thing...

all in all rocky lilos MAD that u got hurt, MAXI is growling as we speak cuz wants that dog and wants to end that dog's life because of you rocky, rocky maxi's hair is standing up cuz i know shes SO angry right now and now lilo's all upset is glaring at that poor cone head of yours.

LIlo says she loves you, maxi too...

and we all at alldeaf love u too(((((((((((((rocky)))))))))))) speeding recovery mon cheri !

i am very sowwy abt that.. the police are stupid and not do anything.. if i were in ur shoes i will sue for that ...

i did watch the planet show about the animal cops the other day about pitbulls..java is right.. on the show i saw that they were talking about people who do this.. they would tie up a dog and have the mouth duct taped so the other pitbull would learn to bite and chew for however long time who knows. it get them aggressive and meaner..and would u believe they even used a raccoon in a cage..ugh.. pitbull chased it around and around.. poor raccoon being terrorized and trauamtized? damn stupid people who used and sell drugs and breed dogs for fights? they ought to make it a law.. NO FIGHTS..and make it a felony and where they will get prosecuted and go to prison for long time.

i am glad that rocky is improving more and is on the way to recovery! i can see the spirit in him.. he look cute and is so huggable.. make me wanna hug him! lol.. :)

do let us know what is going on with neighbors and the town meetings and etc.. I will keep ya, Rocky and your family in my prayers! :hug:

DoofusMama said:
Unfournately ... No there are no family legal protection insurance.. thats find me interesting.. I never heard of that..

I googled to find out either there're family legal protection in America or not. I'm surprised that US don't have insurance like this. I must say that I understand why you said that you never heard about this.

I tried to find out about US insurance until I found it but I'm not sure about this. I think you should check with insurance agencies about this.

US Insurance rights in states.
http://www.amfam.com/
http://www.bankofamerica.com/insurance/index.cfm?template=ins_choices

I would like to show you the example what Europe have like this to protect their rights.

Family legal protection
http://www.directline.com/home/flpwelcome.htm

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/insurance/home/policy/summary_of_policy_add_on

See this example of British link what we have like this in Germany.

Family Legal Protection cover anything except Divorce Application, Will rights & guilty of criminals.

What we have in our famliy legal protection.

Personal Injury or Death for negligence or assault.
Property disputes
Consumer disputes
Employment disputes
Agreement Contract disputes
Property protection
Tax protection
Employee's legal defence
International cover
Against client's lawyer/defender's warning/suing letter
Examine Agreement contract before sign...

neighbors just informed me that the neighbors wanted to have town meeting.. will update when or which date..

You are very lucky to have wonderful neighbors. My pray continue for you & your family to get the rights from pitbull's owner that she/he has to cover the Vet costs for your Rocky. I can't beleive that the owner of pitbull denied to pay the Vet cost. It look like that she/he don't have pet insurance? :pissed:

There's nothing else for me to do right now.. just wait ... to see what neighbor town meeting.. see if they want to support my case and submit the law for dog law..

All what I say is: Don't pay Vet costs... Fight to have the rights to get the owner to pay.

Please let us know what happened. :hug: I feel for you & poor rocky. :(

Back