our puppy attacked by stray pitbull

jazzy said:
I took dog course at PO last spring and they said pit bull is one of the strongest dog next to rotiweller. Their jaw can pull up to 2 thousand pounds if I remember it is right. Rotiweller can pull up to 1500 lbs while regular dogs only can pull up to 500 lbs.

Actually, there's no scientific studies to show that the pit bulls are different from the other dog breeds when it come to their jaws. The locking jaw bit is a myth. In fact, some dog experts said that dogs of different breeds are perfectly capable of making a powerful bite. Pit bulls having the most powerful bites isn't a fact, but it's true that they are capable of making powerful bites. So can a German Shepherd, Mastiff, Golden Retriever (yes, they can) and more. Even a jack russell terrier can create a really powerful bite, this I can vouch for.

The problem with terriers (pit bull is also terrier) is that they tend to be aggressive toward other dogs but not human beings. That goes for any terrier breeds. Most pit bulls who are aggressive toward people were bred out of the breed.

Big difference.

R3na3Blyth3 said:
*hugs* Annie -- I've been reading/hearing about a spate of pitbull biting incidents around here in Sonoma County. The biggest one was in San Francisco where a 12 year old boy was mauled to death by the 2 family pitbulls. :(
I'm just grateful that this pitbull didn't attack any of your kids or yourself...am sorry about Rocky, sure hope he pulls through this.

Yeah, there are alot of pit bulls reports in Minnesota lately, it seems that the other states banned pitbulls or laws... the people moved up here cuz we dont have laws for pitbulls.. and dog laws too.. (I mean dog laws like very strict.. bite & vigious law)..

Rocky is doing pretty well now.. hes going to be ok.. thanks

jazzy said:
Oh boy, I am glad your pup is all right. Make sure owner of that dog pay the vet bills. If not bring them to small court. We and our neighbors used to shoot loose dogs when they attacked cows, horses, chickens, etc. Now it has changed, not sure if we are allow to do this. I used to love walk with my son's dog but fed up with my neighbors for let their dogs out and chase us. I used to threw rocks at them to keep them away from us but pit bull nothing will stop them even pepper spray won't work on them.

I took dog course at PO last spring and they said pit bull is one of the strongest dog next to rotiweller. Their jaw can pull up to 2 thousand pounds if I remember it is right. Rotiweller can pull up to 1500 lbs while regular dogs only can pull up to 500 lbs.

I remember that we can shoot dogs or beat them to death.. couple years ago, the law changed..
Yeah Pepper Spray wont work.. their nose sense can smell you and follow you with eyes or blindness..
throw rocks at them.. they will walk away but later, they will come back to you for revenge (get back at you)..

yes, I have read about Pit Bulls.. like Banjo said.. but.. most studies so far that pitbulls are more aggresative.. after few fights then will go on humans..

Banjo.. I cant say yes or no.. but when it dated? long time ago.. but what about couple recent years ago, they studied that pit bulls are more dangerous to all breed.. though..

I hate to show you pics... but.. see how special he is.. before ordeal and after..

that what he is.. loves to sit on chair and watch his favorite critter friends but that time was raining.. so he sit on chair and next to Marshalee...

Right before we took him to ER...
hes all scared and confused.. front leg mangled..

Came home from ER.. Hes sedated... still scared and confused, wanted to left alone.. (he was poking and prod.. )..

Right now.. about hour ago..

Still looking good.. surprised me how fast he recovering.. thanks for your prayers and positive thoughts.. Only he missed to be outside and watch his favorite critter friends..

Sorry to hear what happen to Rocky, glad hes okay.. Hope everything ok and settle with city hall whenever u can find out.

DoofusMama said:
Minnesota law have NO bite/vigious law

Are you serious? :eek: That is so unfair! I'm sorry about your dog, And I'm sorry that you didn't get justice done for the attack that was done on your dog. That's terrible. :(

Sorry, Banjo but I agree with Jazzy, Pit bulls and Rottweilers which they have the high cases that attacks humans and other pets. Even through any dogs can attack, if they are treat badly but most cases are pitbulls and Rottweilers. http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

The attention given to the homicides has put the spotlight on pit bulls and Rottweilers. Without a doubt, these two dogs are usually the number one and number two canine killers of humans. (See below, The dogs most likely to kill.) It therefore is correct to single out those two breeds when talking about canine homicides, because those two breeds cause half or more of the deaths.

if a pitbull walk on my property... and if the lawmakers
or police won't do anything about it...

I will shoot it,, and I would say... I was protecting myself.

Aw DoofusMama, :hug: I'm truly sorry to hear about your dog Rocky, It's such a shame there's no bite/vigious law in Minnesota, BUT what you CAN do is, go to the governor of Minnesota and explained to him what happened and what he can do to save many pets out there inculding children and adults also....Otherwise, more pet owners will get away it and more can get killed at the end....It wouldn't be fair to those people who loves their children and their pets just cause some pet owners refused to take good care of their own pets and keep them locked on a chain or have a leach on etc....

Again, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, and I'm glad to hear he's okay but he would never be the same again, he might be scared to be around other dogs or any type of animals, and he will live with this for the rest of his life too..... :(

I agree with you, I will not let the pitbull owner get away with it, you CAN fight thing even it may take a long run, but you will be a hero to many of those pets out there who needs someone to save them by speaking out and make it become a law in Minnesota.....You can do it girl, all you need is to fight it!

Miss*Pinocchio said:
if a pitbull walk on my property... and if the lawmakers
or police won't do anything about it...

I will shoot it,, and I would say... I was protecting myself.

You can't just shoot it just because a dog is on your property, but you can shoot it if the dog did attacked ya, That would be protecting yourself... :)

Rocky is remarkable pet, and I am glad he is healing well. Damn those mean dogs who attacked him. And I can't believe your town doesn't have Leash Law. Here in where I live have the pet law. Mama Annie, you did great job.. Keep the vet bills and you can give the vet pill to the mean dogs' owner and make them pay for it.

{edited}

I was talking about the STRENGTH to make a powerful bite. Yes, Golden Retrievers are CAPABLE of making POWERFUL bites. So is a Jack Russell terrier.

Heck, there even has been cases of where babies were mauled to death by Pomeranians. Just to let you know, most victims of dog bites are children. So yes, parents should be more careful with their dogs and children.

Good dogs are made due to good training. Period.

The thing is, many pit bulls come from bad homes. You should see how many pit bulls are being abused to death every single day. Humane Society rescue so many of these dogs every year from the cruel owners. Golden retrievers tend to end up in better homes with a lot of love. I've noticed that many, many dog attacks were due to the owners not knowing how to handle or train a dog.

I know a person whose dog was mauled by a golden retriever a few years ago. A lot of damages were done to that poor dog, its skull had to be given medical treatments in order to heal it. It nearly died, and they had to put down the golden retriever.

The part of golden retrievers getting along with the other dogs. That's not true. Almost no dogs will naturally get along with the other dogs if they aren't well-socialized. ANY dogs will growl or bite other dogs if they're not used to socializing with them. That pretty much only can be achieved by SOCIALIZING them. This is pretty much a fact, ask any dog experts, they'll tell you that.

I grew up with dogs. so I'm bound to know more than just one or two things about dogs.

The reason why we don't see news stories about golden retrievers attacking people is because they're perceived as nice dogs. The mainstream media is quite biased and thrive on scaring people. Don't take everything you and the others see on the TV as facts right away. There's a lot to look into on these subjects.

I've heard of FAR more good experiences with both pit bulls and rottweilers than the bad experiences. Most of the "bad" stuff are from the newspapers, so I have the right to be quite wary of what I read in the newspapers. The newspapers tend to put in nothing but bad stories to scare the public.

Most dog bites aren't reported. If a "pit bull type" happen to bite somebody, they run to the cops in a panic because of everything they've heard on the TV and in the newspapers. Had it been a French Poodle, they would go... "I better not report it because I'll look stupid and be laughed at".

Most dog bites that I personally know of weren't committed by big dogs. Mostly little dogs and man, you should see the damages they are capable of.

I happen to have a Yellow Lab and she's a great dog. But would I leave her in a room alone with a child? I would trust her with my life, but as a responsible dog owner... I will not.

NO dog owners should EVER leave their children alone in a room with their dogs. No matter what because that's when the most dog attacks occur... when nobody's looking.

ANY dogs of any breeds, if a dog is found to be dangerous and has attacked people and other animals. That dog should be put down, regardless of what breed it is.

Now, here's a test for all of you... in the picture below... how many of these are pit bulls and which ones?

Attachments

• dogs.jpg
    dogs.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
I will say two things of a very general nature: I watched a program comparing the bites of several breeds of dogs and alligators. The dogs' bites, using pounds per square inch registered at around 320 to 330 pounds per square inch while the alligators' were hovering at around a thousand PSI.

Secondly, about the pitbull: This breed is of and by itself a pretty docile animal; it is just that so many individual pitbulls have displayed ferocious and dangerous behavior BECAUSE their trainers/owners/handlers have taught them to be that way! That can be done with any breed of dog. Stupid Homo Sapiens!

{edited}

Any update on the owner's dog and how is your dog feelings now?...DoofusMama :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DoofusMama said:
Yeah, there are alot of pit bulls reports in Minnesota lately, it seems that the other states banned pitbulls or laws

Maybe you need to talk to someone regarding about laws on pets, I think the owners and the pets should be punished for the crime commit. Won't hurt to give it a try. :thumb:

I pulled up some states that had banned some pets,(mostly pitbulls and Rottweilers) (Some Dobermans) and also out of United States as well, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, United Kingdom.

http://www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweilers/laws/breedspecific.html

One more thing Annie, Was Rocky only gotten bite on his leg? I could see a open wound there. Poor Rocky, I bet he was so frighten and doesn't know what hit him. I can only image. :hug:

^Angel^ said:
Which picture sis?...

I believe picture two and three, Use your mouse and click right button, to blow it up into a bigger picture, You'll see it more clearly. ;)

My dog (the one that's going deaf) was attacked 10 yrs ago by a larger dog. I reported it to the animal control and suggested that they put him to sleep. The owners were in a state of panic and upset with me.

I never saw the dog again.

Richard

DoofusMama said:
Aww thanks!!! Huggs.. This morning... neighbors came and checked and wanted to be on our case.. because they got call from animal control that the owner came and picked.. paid the fine.. didnt tell animal control what will the owner do with pitbull dog..... the neighbors were so upset, I am too.. we are watching ourselves ...

Rocky is getting better after my man lead him to outside .. showed him that pitbull dog is not here.. and Rocky sniffed around.. he is glad that pitbull didnt leave markings.. so it bring him more perks and uplifting.. hes walking around little bit better.. he misses his critter friends (squirrels and stray kittens) in backyard.. he sit and watched them..
I just upload some pics.. will post here shortly.. (i need to go diapter duty)

thanks again *huggs*

Okay..Great!! Hope Rocky is doing better today!

DoofusMama said:
I hate to show you pics... but.. see how special he is.. before ordeal and after..

that what he is.. loves to sit on chair and watch his favorite critter friends but that time was raining.. so he sit on chair and next to Marshalee...

Right before we took him to ER...
hes all scared and confused.. front leg mangled..

Came home from ER.. Hes sedated... still scared and confused, wanted to left alone.. (he was poking and prod.. )..

Right now.. about hour ago..

Still looking good.. surprised me how fast he recovering.. thanks for your prayers and positive thoughts.. Only he missed to be outside and watch his favorite critter friends..

Is Rocky part of a blue heeler??? i noticed around his neck that looks to be part blue heeler...

DM: I'm really sorry about Rocky and distress your family went through. Looks like a fine dog and hope he keeps on recovering.

Tousi said:
Secondly, about the pitbull: This breed is of and by itself a pretty docile animal; it is just that so many individual pitbulls have displayed ferocious and dangerous behavior BECAUSE their trainers/owners/handlers have taught them to be that way! That can be done with any breed of dog. Stupid Homo Sapiens!

I thought the same about the pitbull owners. They deserve to pay the consequences and it wasn't the first time they've had a pitbull attack under their care, and it doesn't seem like they have their pitbull efficiently restrained - with muzzle or something like that. I wonder if they are also guilty of abusing that bloodthirsty pitbull. This case definitely needs to be checked out!

Back