Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

Please. No teams! I hate that. Seriously.

Wirelessly posted

TheWriteAlex said:
Wirelessly posted

I am just concerned they are feeding misconceptions and doesn't that backfire on the Deaf community and values? What purpose does it truly serve? These are the questions that come to my mind.

What misconceptions are they feeding? That Deaf people don't talk? Gee, that's news to me . . . :roll:

I am well aware that a lot of Deafies use their voice, I was raised Oral. I am not against Deafies using their voice if it is their choice. However, Sean Berdy's character 'Emmett' represented the Deafies who place value on being voice off. I was impressed that he is able to get his point across to hearies - bridging the so-called language barrier. All it takes is each party's desire to communicate. What I am appauled at however is how quickly oral methods are imposed. The previous episode states him as one who valued in not using his voice to suddenly wanting speech therapy to suddenly speaking without any apparent effort. Let that show for itself the intent of the producers is not to raise Deaf awareness but to propagate their audist views.

Oic. Sowwie, I didnt hear it cos his tv is deaf. I will have to check out listened to his voice on video. I know a lot of deaf ppl tend to get emotional when they get angry over something. To me is normal to them. It makes me concern whether if he is alright or not. That reminds of my dad, he did cry out loud when he happened lost his control that was his first time after my mom was gone, I could hear in his bedrm across from my bedrm. It's better to let it out than to keep holding inside. It is nutta wrong w/ that voice.

Wirelessly posted

I am well aware that a lot of Deafies use their voice, I was raised Oral. I am not against Deafies using their voice if it is their choice. However, Sean Berdy's character 'Emmett' represented the Deafies who place value on being voice off. I was impressed that he is able to get his point across to hearies - bridging the so-called language barrier. All it takes is each party's desire to communicate. What I am appauled at however is how quickly oral methods are imposed. The previous episode states him as one who valued in not using his voice to suddenly wanting speech therapy to suddenly speaking without any apparent effort. Let that show for itself the intent of the producers is not to raise Deaf awareness but to propagate their audist views.

People are moved to do many surprising things when they are in love, no?

You need to be very careful about flinging that word "audist" around. What appalls me is that after 10 episodes of groundbreaking work, of so many moments that open up the Deaf community and show deafness in a positive and accurate light to a hearing audience, you are tripping over this, which is very questionable as to whether it is audist. We've got many people, D/deaf and hearing who do not see it as audist. Could it just be your own bias reading in?

It accurately portrays the deaf world? Emmet is totally deaf, went to a deaf school all his life, never hangs around hearing people, and he tells Bay he lipreads with "only" 30% comprehension. Dang, he lipreads better than I do! :P

People are moved to do many surprising things when they are in love, no?

You need to be very careful about flinging that word "audist" around. What appalls me is that after 10 episodes of groundbreaking work, of so many moments that open up the Deaf community and show deafness in a positive and accurate light to a hearing audience, you are tripping over this, which is very questionable as to whether it is audist. We've got many people, D/deaf and hearing who do not see it as audist. Could it just be your own bias reading in?

I don't see an audist statement in anything in the series. If Bay learns ASL, then Emmett have his right to learn how to speak and listen. It does seem it is both, not one side or the another one. The series did balance well. :dunno:

I actually am glad that the writers add more realistic parts in the series. Which makes me more interesting and want to watch more episodes! :)

lol........ I'm thrilled I didn't see this show. If it made me physically sick again, I would have wrote the producers.

In many ways, I accepted television to be strictly a form of entertainment and not a portrait of reality (except reality TV, which is not my thing, AT ALL).

I find "Switched at Birth" to be a great entertainment knowing that this is definitely not realistic! Doesn't prevent me from acknowledging the great performance of those actors and be happy that they include deaf actors for what they do, ACT.

Wirelessly posted

Sean Berdy confirmed on twitter that it was him speaking not a voice over.

It accurately portrays the deaf world? Emmet is totally deaf, went to a deaf school all his life, never hangs around hearing people, and he tells Bay he lipreads with "only" 30% comprehension. Dang, he lipreads better than I do! :P

Yeah, that bugs me too. I have to deal with a lot of people who don't understand why I can't lipread them accurately 100% of the time.

I think that even though a lot of people know that most television includes a lot of inaccuracies for the sake of the story line and meeting deadlines that that most TV watchers will still think that the series is accurate about lip reading ability. I'm not too happy about that.

In many ways, I accepted television to be strictly a form of entertainment and not a portrait of reality (except reality TV, which is not my thing, AT ALL).

I find "Switched at Birth" to be a great entertainment knowing that this is definitely not realistic! Doesn't prevent me from acknowledging the great performance of those actors and be happy that they include deaf actors for what they do, ACT.

Yeah, my guess is that TV's real role (aside from selling commercials) is to basically endorse what's cool and what's not cool. So to that extent I'm glad ASL (or is it actually contact sign?) has such a prominent role in a popular series.

But I have major concerns about how the series makes lipreading look so easy.

A couple of weeks ago I really snapped at a co-worker who wanted to know why I didn't learn how to lipread better. :roll::mad:

Anybody else have problems with the scriptwriters sending Emmett off on a road trip with two hearing guys (Toby and Wilkie)? I understand that they need to come up with interesting story lines and conflict -- but that particular story line is really not realistic.

In general, I think the actors are saving the show -- a lot of the script writing is problematic.

Anybody else have problems with the scriptwriters sending Emmett off on a road trip with two hearing guys (Toby and Wilkie)? I understand that they need to come up with interesting story lines and conflict -- but that particular story line is really not realistic.

In general, I think the actors are saving the show -- a lot of the script writing is problematic.

What's not realistic about it?

Also, Emmet is trying to be more open to the hearing world as a way of showing Bay that he likes her and is willing to meet her halfway. That was pretty obvious to me, and very plausible.

What's not realistic about it?

Also, Emmet is trying to be more open to the hearing world as a way of showing Bay that he likes her and is willing to meet her halfway. That was pretty obvious to me, and very plausible.

There was a scene earlier in the TV show where he signed to Toby that the reason he wouldn't go to the music festival with him and Wilkie was because they couldn't understand his signs.

I just don't think it makes sense for him to agree to go on a long road trip with two hearing guys when he can't understand them a lot of the time and they can't understand him. Especially given what we learned about his character over the past several weeks.

I could see Emmett agreeing to go if he brought another friend along for him to sign with. I think that would have been more realistic. Like you say he wants to show Bay that he wants to meet her halfway and helping her brother do a show that he couldn't do without him being the drummer helps do that -- but I just don't see him spending all that time traveling with people he can't communicate with.

There were other things in the series that I thought was unrealistic -- I can't remember them all now -- but here's a few:

Regina telling Angelo that she couldn't get a loan at the bank. She hates him, why would she tell him anything -- esp. that?

John talking more to Emmett than Daphne about using his car wash for the Carlton fundraiser, and working out the details more with him than with her. That just doesn't make sense.

In the pilot, John and Kathryn agreed to get genetically tested with Bay. Not likely. It would have made more sense for the fact that they weren't biologically related to come out while Bay was getting a medical procedure done -- much like how Angelo found out he wasn't Daphne's father.

I think the actors should get a lot of credit for being able to carry the show despite some of these implausibilities.

^
This

(Sorry for quoting MYSELF... I just think that if we can get over the fact that it is not meant to be realistic, we can move on!)

^
This

(Sorry for quoting MYSELF... I just think that if we can get over the fact that it is not meant to be realistic, we can move on!)

Exactly. It is just a show. Each TV show is not so prefect, anyway.

Back