Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

Wirelessly posted

Reba said:
How did you guys feel when Emmett spoke out loud to Bay? Was that a positive, negative, or neutral experience?

Disgusted! Apparently it was a 'voice over'. I honestly doubt that Sean Berdy would have knowingly agreed to that.

Last edited:
I am still pissed off about it. I posted on the SAB Facebook page how it sends the wrong message.

How did you guys feel when Emmett spoke out loud to Bay? Was that a positive, negative, or neutral experience?

I didn't like it. He had his reasons for not using voice and he just abandons them for a girl he's liked for a week or two? I don't get that. I don't talk either and it would take much more than this to make me! Not all deaf people talk, and i liked how he didn't. I appreciated how the show was not trying to "fix"him. Guess that went out the window! Plus, I hope Emmett ends up with Daphne, so that might also be why I didn't like it.

I was pretty touched by how Emmett's character (I won't debate the "real voice" vs "voice-over") felt good enough about his relationship to meet her halfway. It showed Bay he felt committed to their relationship.

We'll just have to see how it develops from now. Apparently it should air again in early 2012.

Wirelessly posted

Disgusted! Apparently it was a 'voice over'. I honestly doubt that Sean Berdy would have knowingly agreed to that.

Just curious why you think that? Berdy is quite open about using voice in real life.

Plus he is an actor.. You want to work, you do what the script calls for.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Wirelessly posted

Just curious why you think that? Berdy is quite open about using voice in real life.

Plus he is an actor.. You want to work, you do what the script calls for.

Perhaps that is true but I still think that it is wrong for the producers to do that. It is going against what he stands for unless he ends up with 'Daphne' after a feeble attempt with his relationship with Bay. People don't just ditch their values that quickly and easily. IMO it is very audist of the producers.

Wirelessly posted

Perhaps that is true but I still think that it is wrong for the producers to do that. It is going against what he stands for unless he ends up with 'Daphne' after a feeble attempt with his relationship with Bay. People don't just ditch their values that quickly and easily. IMO it is very audist of the producers.

Could be, but that's how it got the big renewal. Look at all the hearing girls who waltz in here announcing how they would "Love Love Love to date a deaf guy", and giving all their misconceptions as reasons why.

The deaf population is small , and that scenario is playing to the teen girls fantasies of an exotic but somewhat safe relationship.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Wirelessly posted

Could be, but that's how it got the big renewal. Look at all the hearing girls who waltz in here announcing how they would "Love Love Love to date a deaf guy", and giving all their misconceptions as reasons why.

The deaf population is small , and that scenario is playing to the teen girls fantasies of an exotic but somewhat safe relationship.

I am just concerned they are feeding misconceptions and doesn't that backfire on the Deaf community and values? What purpose does it truly serve? These are the questions that come to my mind.

I saw the show last night and was shaking my head. It won't last.

You guys are mad how Emmett used his voice in Switch at Birth. Seriously, it's his choice. There nothing wrong with deaf use voice. I uses mine voice! There no shame in that.

Wow, I was reading the comments on the SAB FB page and there is so much audism. There are so many comments that the scene where Emmet used his voice made them cry. I really didn't care for that scene, but unfortunately I think scenes like that are what is going to keep the show on the air. The general hearing public want to see the sim comming and Deaf speaking. It is too bad people cannot appreciate a different culture and way of communicating.

I thought the show was a good one. I was kind of puzzled with Emmett speaking after he was quite adamant that he would never do it. Maybe he did it to show how much he cared for Bay and also to show her why he was always "voice off". By the looks of it, she was happy and understood.

Wow, I was reading the comments on the SAB FB page and there is so much audism. There are so many comments that the scene where Emmet used his voice made them cry. I really didn't care for that scene, but unfortunately I think scenes like that are what is going to keep the show on the air. The general hearing public want to see the sim comming and Deaf speaking. It is too bad people cannot appreciate a different culture and way of communicating.

Thank you!!!!!

Jeeze, ya'll need to pipe the hell down. So a Deaf character can't use their voice? What's so audist about meeting someone half way? it's not like she forced him to use his voice. And it was very appropriate after he made her feel bad for not learning sign language fast enough.

Every hearing character on the show is learning sign language, and it's being featured on the show more and more prominently, but you're all flipping out about the deaf character using his voice ONE TIME in a very touching moment to show that he is willing to make an effort to make a deaf/hearing relationship work. IT GOES BOTH WAYS YOU KNOW?

I didn't like how it was voiced-over. I'm not sure why they did that. With my headphones on I could tell it was fake, but whatever. That's not the point.

This show is about building bridges. Quit trying to burn one.

Wirelessly posted

I am just concerned they are feeding misconceptions and doesn't that backfire on the Deaf community and values? What purpose does it truly serve? These are the questions that come to my mind.

What misconceptions are they feeding? That Deaf people don't talk? Gee, that's news to me . . . :roll:

I thought the show was a good one. I was kind of puzzled with Emmett speaking after he was quite adamant that he would never do it. Maybe he did it to show how much he cared for Bay and also to show her why he was always "voice off". By the looks of it, she was happy and understood.

Exactly. It's not like Emmet's character is going to start speaking every episode and all the time now. It was a moment of heightened emotion, and he was trying to reach over into HER world to show her that he cared.

BTW, I'm reading reports that the "voice over" was in-fact Sean Berdy's real voice . . . not 100% sure yet.

And I still see people battles over pairing vs pairing... Well, screw Emmett/Bay & Emmett/Daphne teams! I am with the Bay/Emmett/Dahpne team! ;)

Who will with me!? :D

Back