Obesity= A very serous topic

I saw a good one the other day, but I can’t remember where: "Guns don’t kill people—I do".

Also for hiking into landscape that deals with great changes in climate and altitude, it is important to bring salty snacks so that it can aide in electrolytising inside your body to keep sweating and also to drink plenty of water. If you should drink too much water and have very low sodium in your body, it can induce HYPONATREMIA in your body.

Read this link for more info:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/dayhike/smart.htm

I went in www.kfc.com...
and I look to see how much sodium and sugars in their foods... and here the results:

Hot and Spicy Chicken - Breast 1450.0mg sodium
Hot and Spicy Chicken - Drumstick 380.0mg sodium

Biscuit 580.0mg sodium and 1.0g sugars

BBQ Baked Beans 720.0mg sodium and 22.0g sugars
Mac and Cheese 610.0mg sodium and 1.0g sugars

Lil' Bucket Strawberry Short Cake 110.0mg sodium and 34.0g sugars

Pepsi® Medium 45.0mg sodium and 47.0g sugars

GRAND TOTALS = 3895.0mg sodium and 105.0g sugars :eek:

Only suppose to eat less than 2400mg sodium.

Well I guess I will eliminate Short Cake....
3895mg - 110mg = 3785mg sodium

That isn't enough!!! :pissed:

Well I guess I will eliminate pepsi medium drink and just drink water.....
3785mg - 45mg = 3740mg sodium

That isn't enough!!!! :ugh2:

Okay, I guess I eliminate biscuit....
3740mg - 580mg = 3160mg sodium

Dammit!!!! :pissed:

I guess I eliminate bbq baked bean...
3160mg - 720mg = 2440mg sodium

But I can't go over 2400mg, um... :eek:

I guess I eliminate mac and cheese....
2440mg - 610mg = 1830mg sodium

Well I could just eat those 2 hot and spicy chickens, pepsi and shortcake
total sodium would be..... 1830mg + 47mg +110mg = 1987mg sodium.

So next time I go to KFC, I will order that. :)

Last edited:
Miss*Pinocchio said:
I went in www.kfc.com...
and I look to see how much sodium and sugars in their foods... and here the results:

Hot and Spicy Chicken - Breast 1450.0mg sodium
Hot and Spicy Chicken - Drumstick 380.0mg sodium

Biscuit 580.0mg sodium and 1.0g sugars

BBQ Baked Beans 720.0mg sodium and 22.0g sugars
Mac and Cheese 610.0mg sodium and 1.0g sugars

Lil' Bucket Strawberry Short Cake 110.0mg sodium and 34.0g sugars

Pepsi® Medium 45.0mg sodium and 47.0g sugars

GRAND TOTALS = 3895.0mg sodium and 105.0g sugars :eek:

Only suppose to eat less than 2400mg sodium.

Well I guess I will eliminate Short Cake....
3895mg - 110mg = 3785mg sodium

That isn't enough!!! :pissed:

Well I guess I will eliminate pepsi medium drink and just drink water.....
3785mg - 45mg = 3740mg sodium

That isn't enough!!!! :ugh2:

Okay, I guess I eliminate biscuit....
3740mg - 580mg = 3160mg sodium

Dammit!!!! :pissed:

I guess I eliminate bbq baked bean...
3160mg - 720mg = 2440mg sodium

But I can't go over 2400mg, um... :eek:

I guess I eliminate mac and cheese....
2440mg - 610mg = 1830mg sodium

Well I could just eat those 2 hot and spicy chickens, pepsi and shortcake
total sodium would be..... 1830mg + 47mg +110mg = 1987mg sodium.

So next time I go to KFC, I will order that. :)

Still u get fat tho :roll: wait a min, u already are!

www.tacobell.com

I usually order 2 burrito supreme (beef), nacho bellgrande, and 2 fire sauce.
And the total sodium and sugar are... 5,770mg sodium and 18g sugars :eek:

So from now, I will just order nacho bellgrande with 1 fire sauce packet,
that total 2150mg sodium and 6g sugars.

So I guess Nacho Bellgrande will have to fill me up in one day :pissed:

I will be SMAHT said:
Still u get fat tho :roll: [/I]wait a min[/I], u already are!

I went to the YMCA today, and use the threadmill, lost 360 calories today!!!!

Vampy,,Have you ever ate at mcdonalds or burger king? You cant resist the food now can you? Their ads are so influancing.You cant go though a week without going into mcdonalds or burger king.So you have no right to brag about this. Im the one who overweight and type 2 diabetic.What do you have besides a hearing loss?

www.pizzahut.com

I usully ordered thin n crispy pizza 12" medium with pepperoni, pineapple, and green pepper... and chicken munchers, with thousand island sauce, and pepsi.

So if I eat 3 slices of pizza(1440mg sodium),
4 pieces of chicken muncher(520mg sodium)
with thousand island dip (300mg sodium), and drink pepsi(45mg sodium)...

I ingested Total 2305mg of sodium and also 121g sugars :ugh:

ravensteve1961 said:
Vampy,,Have you ever ate at mcdonalds or burger king? You cant resist the food now can you? Their ads are so influancing.You cant go though a week without going into mcdonalds or burger king.So you have no right to brag about this. Im the one who overweight and type 2 diabetic.What do you have besides a hearing loss?

RS, we can't convince them to have a healthy lifestyle...
let them be miserable, they will wonder why
they have their arms and legs cut off or have stroke and be in comatose just like Luther Vandross did.... died so young...

<edited by mod - warning given>

ravensteve1961 said:
Vampy,,Have you ever ate at mcdonalds or burger king? You cant resist the food now can you?

Dude, have you ever seen a pic of Vampy? Richard Simmons he’s not. I’m sure that Vampy has packed away a few Double Whoppers with Cheese in his day. But neither you nor he HAS TO EAT AT FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. It is a matter of personal choice. We Americans are digging our own graves—there’s nobody digging them for us. Personally, now that I've been cooking quality food for myself at home, I've lost all desire to eat that shit. It has no appeal for me. Healthy food tastes even better. I'll give you a tip. For starters, go to an Indian restaurant and try some of the dishes, and then buy an Indian cookbook and learn to make the stuff yourself. I guarantee you'll learn to like low fat semi-vegetarian cuisine very fast and will never want to go back to the red meat and fried potato lifestyle ever again.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
And I can't believe that one member is very concern about health (doing hiking), but live a dangerous homosexual lifestyle.
You just had to throw that in, didn't you? You just can't go even one day without spouting your homophobic horseshit, can you? :squint:

ravensteve1961 said:
Vampy,,Have you ever ate at mcdonalds or burger king? You cant resist the food now can you? Their ads are so influancing.You cant go though a week without going into mcdonalds or burger king?
I don't know about Vampy, but I can't even remember the last time I ate in a McDonald's or Burger King. It has been many years. I have no desire eat in those places. I think the Burger King TV commercials are creepy.

They are creepy—very creepy. I prefer the Carl’s Jr. ads with Paris Hilton. Now that’s what I call quality advertising. :thumb:

Levonian said:
Easier said than done. My wife and I have almost completely abandoned prepared foods and we’re still having trouble keeping our weight down. I’ve taken over the kitchen and am doing all the meal planning. We have a hot whole grain cereal for breakfast in the mornings with sugar and nonfat milk. For dinner, we’ve almost thrown red meat out the window. We have chicken two nights a week, fish two nights a week, and the other three nights we go vegan. But we’re still having trouble keeping the pounds off. I’m going to have to start cutting down the portion sizes and counting every gram of fat we eat if we expect to lose some blubber. I can’t even begin to imagine how fat we would be if we ate the typical American fast food laden diet. The bottom line is that good dietetics requires a substantial amount of knowledge of food chemistry and meticulous attention to meal design—it’s not something you can just learn to do overnight. Add to that the fact that evolution has had hundreds of thousands of years of practice when it comes to getting us to eat—especially sugar and fat. We crave sugar and fat because we’re hardwired to do so. Shutting that off is no easy task. Fast food restaurants are just providing what the consumer demands—and the American consumer demands fat and sugar. Consumer education is the only viable means of getting the obesity epidemic under control. And even then, it’s still going to be a matter of personal choice. Some people are just going to eat themselves to death no matter what.

You're right Levonian, weightloss is very hard work, and I just wanted to say I really admire yours and your wifes attempts to eat healthier, good work! :) You're right, portion sizes are very key. You might like to try that website that I posted a link to for miss P to see, it might take some of the hard work out of calculating things, and you can see if you're eating the right ammount for your activity level and project possable weightloss based on that. I find it useful anyway. :) That quote of mine in your post, was actually in reply to RS saying that he was going to boycott McDonalds etc, by going to other fastfood chains to eat instead! I just meant that if he wants to protest against fastfood outlets using high ammounts of salt etc, then he'd better stay clear of all of the major fastfood chains for his protest, because the ones he was saying he could go to instead of BK and McDonalds are just as bad!

He said (underline added by me for emphasis):
ravensteve1961 said:
Heres an idea.Why not have an nationwide boycott Burger King & Mcdonalds week? For one week no one goes into Burger King & Mcdonalds . But you can support taco bell,wendys and pizza hut.
That's all I meant when I said, as you quoted:
HoneyShot said:
Eat healthy meals at home, if you want to boycot fast foods!

:) Also thank you Levonian and C.C. Sinned, for your compliments on my appearance! Thank you very much. That picture is getting a little old now, my hair is a bit shorter now than it was then, but I'm growing it out again.

Miss P, are you extremely active or anything? I just wondered because those are very big meals for a normal person, unless you're very athletic and do just need lots of energy. Maybe you play a lot of sports? If you do want to have less sugar though, you could have diet pepsi instead of regular pepsi, for example. That's an easy swap that makes a big difference! :)

catlover_Amy81 good luck with your diabetes, going to the nutritionist is such a good proactive thing to do, well done! :)

Last edited:
Levonian said:
Dude, have you ever seen a pic of Vampy? Richard Simmons he’s not. I’m sure that Vampy has packed away a few Double Whoppers with Cheese in his day. But neither you nor he HAS TO EAT AT FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. It is a matter of personal choice. We Americans are digging our own graves—there’s nobody digging them for us. Personally, now that I've been cooking quality food for myself at home, I've lost all desire to eat that shit. It has no appeal for me. Healthy food tastes even better. I'll give you a tip. For starters, go to an Indian restaurant and try some of the dishes, and then buy an Indian cookbook and learn to make the stuff yourself. I guarantee you'll learn to like low fat semi-vegetarian cuisine very fast and will never want to go back to the red meat and fried potato lifestyle ever again.

I didn't know!!! My mom who took me to the MickeyD and KFC since I was very young....
That is why government are tough on McDonalds and other resturants because they didn't tell us how much sodium, sugars, and stuff in our
food...
It is like the tobacco companies which didn't warn their smokers that
cigarettes cause cancer...

We all been fool, all they care about is MONEY, they don't care about us!!!
I am so glad somebody sued McDonalds and happy for the director who made the film, "Supersize me".

I just learned about sodium, calories and all, just now...

HoneyShot said:
Miss P, are you extremely active or anything? I just wondered because those are very big meals for a normal person, unless you're very athletic and do just need lots of energy. Maybe you play a lot of sports? If you do want to have less sugar though, you could have diet pepsi instead of regular pepsi, for example. That's an easy swap that makes a big difference! :)

No, I am very greedy :popcorn:
I was trying to eat everything... but I can't so I just put some away
in the refrigerator for later or for tomorrow.

Just like my mom said, "Your eyeballs are bigger than your belly!!!"

Miss*Pinocchio said:
That is why government are tough on McDonalds and other resturants because they didn't tell us how much sodium, sugars, and stuff in our
food...
It is like the tobacco companies which didn't warn their smokers that
cigarettes cause cancer...

I just learned about sodium, calories and all, just now...

Actually Miss P, that information has always been available about fast food. You can also go into a McDonalds and ask them and they will willingly hand you a leaflet with the nutritional break down on their food. They didn't hide anything, so that's why people can't sue them like the tobacco companies, becuase the tobacco industry knew that they had a lethal product, but hid it, but the fastfood chains didn't hide anything they just make energy dense foods that are only meant to be eaten as treats, in moderation not as regular meals.

That's great that you are learning now though, now you can begin to make much more wise informed decisions about your food choices. Keep learning, and checking that you have the right information. It will do you so much good! Try visiting a registered dietician or nutritionist, they can help you learn what it is important to change in your diet, and what is ok. If you ask your Dr, they can refer you to the right people. :)

Miss*Pinocchio said:
No, I am very greedy :popcorn:
I was trying to eat everything... but I can't so I just put some away
in the refrigerator for later or for tomorrow.

Just like my mom said, "Your eyeballs are bigger than your belly!!!"

:lol: Yeah, my Mum says the same thing! :lol:

That's good if it's not all eaten in one meal! I was wondering how you could eat it all! That makes much more sense, I'm glad for you! :)

Back