Obama Proposes Longer School Days, Extended School Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer days is not the solution...maybe year round schooling but definitely not longer days. Teachers are already so burnt out..if school days were to be extended, I think less people will be interested in becoming teachers due to the low pay and high stress related to the job.

Yes, I can understand it´s not easy job task as a teacher but they have same break as their students, don´t they? I mean, teachers have plenty breaks than many working parents who have only average 10 days leave annual plus collect hours from overtimes to get break to be with their family. ?

My kids did well... Due to I kept encouraging them to read or learn during the quiet times, of the summer months. I kept challenging my kids.

That just shows me that parents also needs to participate. In foreign countries you see a lot more parent participation.

I understand not all kids are fortunate to have parents that are involved with their children lives.

More school hours... More homework, more lack of parents helping the children. Perhaps due to they have to work. But with all the fundings being cut. It is so hard to even to get a tutor for a child... Unless they "qualify" due to income.

Income, should not a reason why a child can not learn. Hate to sound harse. Parents are also the blame... Regardless of income. Take the time to work with a child at home.

I have seen many, many cases... That a parent does not even check to see if the child has done their homework, sign the agenda, Or even know their child Teacher's name.

:(

I do feel that America, Needs a major overhaul on education. but by adding days. Will only stress, and set up more failure. Due to the lack of sources we have. Financially and others.

Shel90´s post
Year round school with breaks in between.

Parents need to take the responsibility of educating their children. Doesn't have to be formal lesson plans or direct instruction but be more involved! Don't put children in front of the TV or let them play video games for hours each day. Talk to them, take opportunities of events during time together to each them the basics and READ to them for at least 30 mins a day or have them read daily and discuss what they read.

Yes, we as responsible parents help our children with homework, reading etc like what you mentioned but 3 months summer vacation is STILL too much.

First of all, since when is it the duty of the President to propose anything about our public schools? Please show me in the Constitution where this is one of his duties.

One size does not fit all when it comes to schools.

Are you saying that it´s not President´s duty to take care of people and country but just war?

How many hours per day, days per year did Obama attend school?

How many hours per day, days per year did our NASA scientists, computer hardware and software designers, entrepreneurs, inventors, etc., attend school prior to the 70's?

Why should we talk about Obama´s time and 70s when it belongs the past.

If the quantity of school time increases, is that a guarantee that the quality of schools will improve? Or will it just be more hours of the same-old, same-old? Will the kids be alert late into the afternoon?

To me, more sports and hobby to add in school hours. I mean afternoon..

I guess he doesn't have enough to keep him busy as President, so he's decided to get involved with schools

*speechless* All what I say is wow :shock:

I thought you should be glad that Obama do not neglect his people and country. It´s great to know that Obama focus his country than spend his time on war issues.

Yes, the government would love to have more hours of influence over our precious children.

It´s good to know that Government involved because it´s about children´s future.

I thought our economy and universal health care were his hot-list priorities; oh, and that pesky war over there.

Yes he is.

Maybe he should be Secretary of Education instead of President and Commander in Chief?

wow *speechless* :shock:

Specifically, how would longer hours and more days resolve those problems?

How will longer hours at school develop a love for reading in the Wii generation?

Add sports, hobbies, reading, etc in long hours. My both boys have sports and crafts, reading, etc at most late afternoons.

I thought they couldn't read and use a map. How will newer technologies resolve those problems? How did students manage to read and use maps in the past before technology was available?

Yes we learn to read map and other readings at school in 60s and 70s time including my boys as well. :confused:

Yes, I can understand it´s not easy job task as a teacher but they have same break as their students, don´t they? I mean, teachers have plenty breaks than many working parents who have only average 10 days leave annual plus collect hours from overtimes to get break to be with their family. ?

It's depends on school district, some teachers don't get same break as students does, additional with college professors have long break since they got paid via salaried.

There's plenty of workplace in US has long off too, I have 2 weeks of vacation, additional more extra off in later.

Yes, we as responsible parents help our children with homework, reading etc like what you mentioned but 3 months summer vacation is STILL too much.

3 month of summer vacation has been part of our traditional and has been for many years since 19th century, it's part of American culture for education system.

In Germany, 220 days in school is too much to me.

That could be the case but there r teachers who r limited to teach a certain way due to pressures for getting their students to pass the standardized assessments. That can take the creativeness out of many teachers.

Yup, you are right about it.

I'm strongly oppose on standardized test and state exam, such as required to pass before graduation with HS diploma, I want both of them to be removed and allows teachers to teach their children so freely.

I do support teach of creationism in public school, along with school praying if any students are interest to join.

There's school praying in many school in southeast states but not mandatory.

Well there are summer academic programs.
I dunno..........I think there's a fine line between increasing educational quality and being all " wittle Smashlie has to go to THIS preschool otherwise she will never ever get a high powered job."

Wghile the students r off, teachers have workshops or staff meetings.

Liebling, I bring home work almost every weekend because there is not enough time during the work day to do everything and there r deadlines we must meet so I am always mentally working at least 6 days a week.

Even over the summer, I still work teaching summer school.

Im sick of hearing how bad the america's school system is. The problem is there are too many idiot parents that dont make education a priority. 75% of students cant find america on a map, sounds like a bullshit statisitc.

it is a little off topic.

I am not a teacher. From my understanding that lots of teachers have to do homework at home, doing the projects for kids in the classroom. Teachers have to know each of kids' names, their weakness areas and focus on each of individuals strenghts that are something that i can't do that. I am a mom working, as dealing with papers in my office that are nothing compare with working with small human beings. Lots of kids sure have lots of energy to suck out of teachers' minds. So i feel that teachers need a huge break too that way they can develop their minds better by having more ideas and be preparing for kids. I think teachers jobs are reallly demanding than what i am working here in the office.
:shock:

I feel that school may need to stretch a little more and summer needs to be less but they can have something different activities with education during summer time. But Like i said, i am not a teacher thereofore i am not familiar with how teachers jobs are. All i know is that teachers jobs are tough!

I opposed with President Obama's idea about adding school days.

When my brother transferred from the 'traditional public school' at the start of his 9th grade year into a 'university school' (run by the Local University) they went to a year round program... this was WONDERFUL. (I was still living in the area at the time so I got to see first hand how well it worked)

As for the family vacation-- we were able to do more b/c he was out of school in the 'off season' and it was less expensive and less crowded to travel-- plus at our employers it was easier to take time off b/c we weren't fighting over the summer weeks vacations...

Then the academic side... w/my brothers CAPD and HoH issues he had a hard enough time in school~~ three months out of school always gave him hell... he had to 'relearn' everything (except math) so being out a month in the summer and 3 weeks at a time at various times of the year made it easier for him to retain. He could work 'full time' for his breaks and earn extra money-- and he got better schedules b/c his peers were in school still...

It also meant for the kids who were younger-- that their parents didn't have to find 'suitable' childcare for the whole summer~ instead were able to break that bill up throughout the year. And gave the kids less time to be idle... which helped with dicipline issues for some as well... what's the quote about idle hands??

AND my friends who taught at the US/UH LOVED their mid season breaks from the kids... (and the lower rates when they too travelled!!!) So it was great for everyone!!!

I know I whined when they mentioned possibly doing year round in the 1990's and I was in HS... but honestly it would've been better~~ I HATED review at the end of summer.

However I agree that textbooks, technology and teachers need to be up to date, AND properly compensated... otherwise-- more school, less school, longer hours, shorter days... whatever~~ isn't going to help our education system...

And it's just my opinion but parental involvment is vital... my mom was always there to help us-- if we accepted it or not was different lol-- and my parents were intouch w/our teachers. (and as the much older big sister, I even had relationships w/some of my brothers teachers so I could go to them and talk to them if he needed help..) but so many parents aren't involved-- and that is a HUGE problem on many levels...

3 month of summer vacation has been part of our traditional and has been for many years since 19th century, it's part of American culture for education system.

In Germany, 220 days in school is too much to me.

It may have been the tradition however you are forgetting one thing: agriculture.

The reasoning for the Spring break/Summer break/ and Fall break was base on the planting/growing and harvest seasons of the farmers as in the 19th century--America was pretty much dependent on agriculture for economics. The farmers needed their children to assist with the planting, maintenance of the crops as well as harvesting of the food that was being grown.

Now that we are in the 21st century--how many people are still farming? Not as much as it was in the 19th century and the education system needs to keep up with the societal changes.

To say that it base on tradition--may be true however it's time for certain traditions to go "bye-bye" and this being one of them.....

It may have been the tradition however you are forgetting one thing: agriculture.

The reasoning for the Spring break/Summer break/ and Fall break was base on the planting/growing and harvest seasons of the farmers as in the 19th century--America was pretty much dependent on agriculture for economics. The farmers needed their children to assist with the planting, maintenance of the crops as well as harvesting of the food that was being grown.

Now that we are in the 21st century--how many people are still farming? Not as much as it was in the 19th century and the education system needs to keep up with the societal changes.

To say that it base on tradition--may be true however it's time for certain traditions to go "bye-bye" and this being one of them.....

GREAT point!!!!

Well, the 21st century is pretty changed a lot. I think it's time for certain traditions, conservative/religious values, traditional cultures, and other certain things to go "bye bye", too.

Of course, they are pretty bad taste for everyone. :)

Well, the 21st century is pretty changed a lot. I think it's time for certain traditions, conservative/religious values, traditional cultures, and other certain things to go "bye bye", too.

Of course, they are pretty bad taste for everyone. :)

:) I have to disagree because we are only 9 years into the 21st century. :)

We haven't really experienced what the other 91 years of the 21st century is going to be like. :giggle:

If we make it to the 2100--then we can say that we survived the 21st century. Do you think you will be here for that?

We haven't really experienced what the other 91 years of the 21st century is going to be like. :giggle:

Disagreeable. I guess we have a different POV. :P If you look at 1950 to present, it is pretty changable, don't you think so? I do think the future is going to be totally different than today. So, yeah, it could. :)
If we make it to the 2100--then we can say that we survived the 21st century. Do you think you will be here for that?

Uhh... What make you think I said it? I never said a such thing... =/ Well, you want my answer, so here's... No. That's all you got. :)

I guess he doesn't have enough to keep him busy as President, so he's decided to get involved with schools.

Actually before he became our President, he stated one of his major goals is to improve education for the children which he believes is very important to our country's future. So he kept his word and showed us that he is doing something about it.

Go watch the old tapes or something...if you have it. lol

Welcome to the evolution of techology...

Not for school, I prefer to sticking with traditional years for school.

I have disagree with your post, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back