Obama Proposes Longer School Days, Extended School Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are various factors that need to be considered to see if they fit within Japan's suicide ratio.. We dunno the full story.

Plus school might not even be the accountable factor, it could be cultural differences for all we know. For one, japan is a lot stricter than most countries for sure. You aren't supposed to drink or eat anything while walking in public or it's considered disrespectful.

What Steel X said has some truth... The more school kids get, the smarter they can become, ignoring social or psychological drawbacks in light of this. Answer is already presented, question is are we going to keep up with them?

I approve of longer school days....that's an awesome idea. But a longer school year? what's that gonna do to summer ecnomies? Like summer camps will go out of business, the Cape's ecnomy will be destroyed etc.

Then we'll just have bumper stickers on our vehicles saying "My kid is smarter than ur kid in Japan"! Goes to school year round!

Kids have a lot of pressure in the schools! Just last week, a "rumor" started at my boys middle school, that a "shootout" was gonna be that day. Police cars were everywhere!....I was in that long line of cars with concerned parents, to find out it was just a rumor. My boys didn't want to go back to school the next day.

Kids face the pressure of fights, gangs, shootings, peer pressure, etc., that adults don't in their daily lives at work. They need "time off", a summer vacation more than adults do.

Kids are Kids, not robots! My kids go to the Library 1-2 times a week, and do read books during the summer.

Food for thought:

How come we don't hear about shootouts in other countries and their schools? Not saying this never happened, but it seems rare on US news.

And in USA it's apparently really common? Feels like we have all the attention. What's the deal?

Schools still start after Labor Day here in MN.

I could see how year-round school (or at least a longer term than is now) would make some sense as far as continuing reinforced learning - taking a 3 month break lets younger kids forget many things. I could be in favor of a longer school term, then, as long as shorter school days are applied.

I think the idea is more so a bit too much. Kids are not behind due to lack of days. They are behind because so much has already been cut from schools. Hate to say it teachers are suppose to teach. Kind of hard to doso in overcrowded classrooms.

If the days or hours are increased... How will he fund it?

It is also difficult when schools are expected to provide exceptional adjunct services rather than teach the curriculum. The more time spent in pull out, the less time spent teaching the curriculum.

That said, our edcuational system is indeed in crisis. However, I fail to see how more time spent in underfunded classrooms with outdated textbooks and technology is the answer.

Shel-90 posted this; In fact, American children spend the least amount time in the classroom when compared to other countries. Currently, the school year length in the States is 180 days. Advocates are pushing further toward a 200-day school year, which would align with Thailand, Scotland and the Netherlands, and leave us a close second with Israel, South Korea and Japan, who leads with a 243-day school year.

thats where i got the 180 days of schooling time. Sorry, that I made one mistake saying 180 days of holidays but when you count the days in a year, its 365 - 180 thats still quite alot 185 days, that's HALF !!
so i beg to differ, we in the west ARE spoilt for free times.

Schools still start after Labor Day here in MN.

I could see how year-round school (or at least a longer term than is now) would make some sense as far as continuing reinforced learning - taking a 3 month break lets younger kids forget many things. I could be in favor of a longer school term, then, as long as shorter school days are applied.

This is true. There is considerable research that shows that the first 6 weeks of any school year is spent reviewing from the previous year due to the extended summer break that allows kids to forget concepts they were taught.

Familes do take vacations together...during the summer break. Also, many divorced parents share custody of kids during the summer months. And some kids do attend summer school, or have to attend on Saturdays. Some kids go to see their relatives and spend the summer, especially their grandparents.

Often wonder why suicide is high in Japan? Could it be the pressure they are pushing on the kids to "learn"!?

Here in Duval County, they have already cut bus service for many children, so next year a lot of kids will have to walk to school, some even farther than they used to.

Yeah, in Milwaukee you have to live more than 2 miles away from your public school or you cannot take the yellow bus to school. So stupid. I would not let my children take public transit to school in Milwaukee and especially here in San Antonio! Not after that huge gang fight I witnessed! No fucking way! They have to take the yellow bus, or I have to take them to school. So stupid. I am not going to make my future kids walk two miles to school, especially when it gets so fucking hot here in Texas and where there are bound to be so many gang fights between dumb students from middle and high schools! And a lot of the time it's just too fucking hot to make your child walk the two miles to and from school each way. Today it was so hot! We had a high of 90 degrees and it's only the 4th of May. We began having hot weather at the end of February. By the end of this month we will hit temperatures in the 100s. I am not going to make them get overheated while walking to and from school, 2 miles each way. NO. And Milwaukee can get very frigid, would you make your child freeze his or her ass off walking the two miles to and from school in -10 weather? Trust me, YOU DON'T WANT TO. IT'S TOO FUCKING COLD! Believe me, I lived in Milwaukee from the age of 4 until I left for Minnesota at 21 years old. In Minnesota it gets even colder - do you want your children walking the two miles to and from school in -30 weather? Trust me, YOU DON'T! I know because I lived in Minnesota for 5 years!

Food for thought:

How come we don't hear about shootouts in other countries and their schools? Not saying this never happened, but it seems rare on US news.

And in USA it's apparently really common? Feels like we have all the attention. What's the deal?

Maybe it's because you've been reading the USA newspapers and not other countries' newspapers? Hmm? Ever think about how the USA newspapers talk more about the USA more than about other countries? THIS IS THE FUCKING USA!

GO READ A NEWSPAPER FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY! Then come back and tell us!

The first 2 months of school are review because the kids have forgotten so much during the summer or are out of practice. Year round school is gets rid of that.

Even in year round school, kids get extended breaks. They are simply staggered so all students are not taking a break at the exact same time.

Food for thought:

Cultural differences. A collectivistic society will not have the same problems that an individualistic society has.

THIS IS THE FUCKING USA!

Oh, don't get me wrong.

I did do my research years ago. USA school shootings and the reasoning behind it on a sociological scale was the topic of one of my final papers of a course in my previous degree. Although my term paper is probably outdated now (2005), I would presume that the fact still remains the same that contrary to shenanigans in the spread of worldwide news, the USA still is the predominant leader in school shootings.

Differences apart may be due to culture reasons, I don't know, but the fact remains that the USA is notorious for kiddie shootouts.

I did do my (quick) research prior to asking earlier.. It is a really perplexing question with shades of gray for an answer.
If you don't believe me, en taro:

Recent World Wide School Shootings
Time Line of Worldwide School Shootings — Infoplease.com
School Shootings

From reading these alone, I can already observe that it appears the USA is ahead by like a 60% to 40% ratio in these comparisons. And that 40% is worldwide.. not just one nation.

Heh it has not surprised me that many of you do not like the change. Obama became our president for a REASON. he is trying to bring a good change to America and I guess many of you just dont respect him for how well he is doing his job so far. He is not the next George Bush.

But anyway, America gets PLENTY of breaks than in other countries do. We got 3 months off for the summer vacation, we also have alot of national holidays including christmas, easter, thanksgiving, labor's day and so on...those are the days where we obviously dont go to school. We got plenty of breaks during these holidays. 3 months of freedom for the summer is too much. Of course I am stating from my opinon but thats how I see with our country. our schools end in early June and start in the middle of august every year. Was that plenty of breaks for us? Yes it was. It's not the end of the world if for the 21st century we are in, our schools extend longer even in the summer big whoop! of course the kids would still have a life with friends and family. You worry too much about them schools extending more time. You WANT your kids to have a bright future? Then let them have it by reaching their goals more seriously when they extend more school time.

Kids will still have a life with other kids and families same like adults who goes to work will still have a life with their friends and families too as well so...work is obviously extended than school and you would still get break from work so really, whats the difference? work, school, and future are very important of a human's life.

I do understand that you dont like that "change." But seriously...give it a chance. This is something we could do better for our country's future.

Oh, don't get me wrong.

I did do my research years ago. USA school shootings and the reasoning behind it on a sociological scale was the topic of one of my final papers of a course in my previous degree. Although my term paper is probably outdated now (2005), I would presume that the fact still remains the same that contrary to shenanigans in the spread of worldwide news, the USA still is the predominant leader in school shootings.

Differences apart may be due to culture reasons, I don't know, but the fact remains that the USA is notorious for kiddie shootouts.

I did do my (quick) research prior to asking earlier.. It is a really perplexing question with shades of gray for an answer.
If you don't believe me, en taro:

Recent World Wide School Shootings
Time Line of Worldwide School Shootings — Infoplease.com
School Shootings

From reading these alone, I can already observe that it appears the USA is ahead by like a 60% to 40% ratio in these comparisons. And that 40% is worldwide.. not just one nation.

I believe you, and yes Lucia's is right too, about how US press is 'self-centred with the country's concerns say about baseball, petrols prices, hollywood, whatever" i mean this is what my parents have told me, the media is shocking over there (usa and uk) for it dumbs down the masses into dull thinking. No surprises that alot of stuff never get on the headlines unless its only about money and more money problems. So this partly explains why so people in usa (and elsewhere) havent got a clue because its not being put into attention.

It is true that children in Japan spend more time with education than we do so obviously its no surprise that alot of them can actually be smarter than us. I assume we need to extend education activies so to give a better future to the children.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you disagree with this, of course it can be frustrating at times for going to school more often, but the more the better your life will get.

Think about it.

I don't think you don't understand about US history.

Back in 1950's, public school in US was great education and small or no overcrowded issue, we had high score on test for english and math, even closer to Japan since school days was less than 170 days and for suburb sprawl, they got alot of money from federal and state to funds on new school to reduce or prevent any overcrowded issue, now, school system in some states have severe overcrowded issue and poor education in inner city or even inner suburb.

It wouldn't work for CA due they have severe overcrowded and government is broke to funds on education to build more school, even federal don't have enough funds, except they gave over billion dollars to LA school system to relieve the overcrowded issue and remove of round year school, I had seen alot of new school has built to control the overcrowded, additional some states don't have any good regulation for education to improve the test score.

Now, I'm strongly disagree with Obama and we live in America that which is different from other country, we are in different culture as well and we are satisfied with current education system but overcrowded issue need be addressed and additional regulation on education, that's only 2 ways to make improve as in 1950's.

If you don't like education system in US then move to Japan, however immigrate to Japan is nearly impossible since they have strict immigration policy, even you couldn't apply for permanent resident.

Sorry, it wouldn't pass in congress either or most teachers and students would protest against new system, even leading to teacher shortage crisis.

I think Japan has the longest school year, and also the most student suicides.

It is not necessarily healthy for kids to spend that much time in school.

No wonder that the Japanese are head of us in math and science as other countries are as well.

Maybe it's because you've been reading the USA newspapers and not other countries' newspapers? Hmm? Ever think about how the USA newspapers talk more about the USA more than about other countries? THIS IS THE FUCKING USA!

:roll: Such intelligence in debate. NOT! :roll:

Naisho had a good point. If we continue the downward trend of pacifying our children, we are looking at the "Dumbing of the American Society". A good 75% of our students today can not locate their own country on a map! :roll:

Y'all still want to keep the current school year?

Better yet--they should have year round schooling as certain school districts are doing that with better success than the traditional 9 months in school/3 months off. Keeps kids out of trouble plus it would propel the students to graduation a little quicker and onto college to become a productive citizen in our society.

No wonder that the Japanese are head of us in math and science as other countries are as well.

A good 75% of our students today can not locate their own country on a map! :roll:

Embarrassingly enough, this is quite true. Alot of our students cant even tell where Russia is on the map as well.

I don't think you don't understand about US history.

Back in 1950's, public school in US was great education and small or no overcrowded issue, we had high score on test for English and math, even closer to Japan since school days was less than 170 days and for suburb sprawl, they got alot of money from federal and state to funds on new school to reduce or prevent any overcrowded issue, now, school system in some states have severe overcrowded issue and poor education in inner city or even inner suburb.

It wouldn't work for CA due they have severe overcrowded and government is broke to funds on education to build more school, even federal don't have enough funds, except they gave over billion dollars to LA school system to relieve the overcrowded issue and remove of round year school, I had seen alot of new school has built to control the overcrowded, additional some states don't have any good regulation for education to improve the test score.

Now, I'm strongly disagree with Obama and we live in America that which is different from other country, we are in different culture as well and we are satisfied with current education system but overcrowded issue need be addressed and additional regulation on education, that's only 2 ways to make improve as in 1950's.

If you don't like education system in US then move to Japan, however immigrate to Japan is nearly impossible since they have strict immigration policy, even you couldn't apply for permanent resident.

Sorry, it wouldn't pass in congress either or most teachers and students would protest against new system, even leading to teacher shortage crisis.

I think it also has to do with creativity in teaching. Back in the 50's the teacher could do whatever strategy that seem to be working (as long as it is working, and as long as there is no punishment). these teachers were interested in getting the kids to learn.. They did not have to worry about the gov't standard. just their standard. Let put it this way, say you wanted to start a cake decorating class. In your own free will, you do whatever works to help people learn... then the gov't stepped in and require everyone to take a cake decorating cake.. and later they began to set their standard of it is consider a passing grade instead of what you considered a passing grade.

But you have to remember, Japanese have came to America for ideas to teach their students in their country. One reason is that most american "Get it" , you know understand it, while some students over there are having a difficult time understanding what they are being taught, they just happened to remember their facts (I hope I'm making sense). That is, you could study about math all you want and know all your steps but you still don't quite get it why it work that way.

Btw, I am not interested in trying to compete or live up to other countries. I am more interested in my freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back