Obama Proposes Longer School Days, Extended School Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can't make the days longer. Too many High Schoolers go straight to work right after school. The only way would be to make it longer.

180 days? :shock: To me, 180 days is too short. Here in Germany average 220 days a year.

I support Obama´s suggestion to stay school longer. How about add gym class if Obama agrees to extend school longer... ?

I can´t beleive how early US students have to leave school to stay home alone for long hours because most parents are working longer and have little leave annual per year (accord thread somewhere that US leave annual per year is average 10 days and have to work long hours to collect overtimes hours)... I´m against to have children to stay home alone for long hours everyday because it would make them boring....crazy... that´s why I support Obama´s suggestion because they can stay school longer and do something like gym, sport, hobby, etc.

Heh it has not surprised me that many of you do not like the change. Obama became our president for a REASON. he is trying to bring a good change to America and I guess many of you just dont respect him for how well he is doing his job so far. He is not the next George Bush.

Yes, I have some of disagreement with his political issues but he still have my support because he deserve it. He is not prefect but I can see that he is trying his best what he can.

But anyway, America gets PLENTY of breaks than in other countries do. We got 3 months off for the summer vacation, we also have alot of national holidays including christmas, easter, thanksgiving, labor's day and so on...those are the days where we obviously dont go to school. We got plenty of breaks during these holidays. 3 months of freedom for the summer is too much. Of course I am stating from my opinon but thats how I see with our country. our schools end in early June and start in the middle of august every year. Was that plenty of breaks for us? Yes it was. It's not the end of the world if for the 21st century we are in, our schools extend longer even in the summer big whoop! of course the kids would still have a life with friends and family. You worry too much about them schools extending more time. You WANT your kids to have a bright future? Then let them have it by reaching their goals more seriously when they extend more school time.

Yes, I agree that 3 months summer vacation is too much. Summer school holiday here in Germany is 6 weeks. 6 weeks is good enough for summer break. Yes, children need proper education because its about their future.

Kids will still have a life with other kids and families same like adults who goes to work will still have a life with their friends and families too as well so...work is obviously extended than school and you would still get break from work so really, whats the difference? work, school, and future are very important of a human's life.

I do understand that you dont like that "change." But seriously...give it a chance. This is something we could do better for our country's future.

I agree everything what you said here and your previous posts.

3 months school summer holiday? :shock: I´m totally against it. NO WAY!!!!

I actually like the idea of year round education. When I was a kid, I went to summer school because I wanted to (it wasn't required and my mother didn't force me). Yes, it sucked to get up early but I liked it.

Also, you retain knowledge much better if you keep up with it. You can forget a LOT in three months if you don't get stimulated continously. Besides I really liked the teachers I had.

It is also difficult when schools are expected to provide exceptional adjunct services rather than teach the curriculum. The more time spent in pull out, the less time spent teaching the curriculum.

That said, our edcuational system is indeed in crisis. However, I fail to see how more time spent in underfunded classrooms with outdated textbooks and technology is the answer.

Thank You! Finally some one understands!

It is not the days. It is the funding that is continuously being cut from our schools! It is causing the teachers to lose the motivation to teach, It is causing the kids to lose motivation to learn. Mainly.... the lack of having the tools to teach, and learn.

This has also made me wonder about the discipline methods, that are being used in countries.....

I have to agree with those ideas of longer school days.

My opinion, a month and a half (or less than two months) vacation is good enough.

Well, Liebling, Bydie, Netrox, SteelX, and a several another ADers are right. You see, at my former school, I did not have so many friends. They were really never inivent (sp) me to their houses except my best friends. I didn't go outgoing very much except special holidays or some members of my family had their birthday. I always did the self-taught in some ways, so I was only studied whatever I want to learn. But it was pretty difficult to do it alone without any help, due to my lack of grammar. Sometimes, my family didn't want to help me. Each summer, I forget some importance things to know... It was so sucks. So, I do think longer school days is pretty important for the knowlegde. Kids and teens really need it more than anything!

I prefer to see schools have longer school days for the improvement on education, and in my opinion, I think schools really NEED uniforms as a proper clothe code. I just cant stand how much teens/kids want to be so sexy for attention. :roll:

Thank You! Finally some one understands!

It is not the days. It is the funding that is continuously being cut from our schools! It is causing the teachers to lose the motivation to teach, It is causing the kids to lose motivation to learn. Mainly.... the lack of having the tools to teach, and learn.

This has also made me wonder about the discipline methods, that are being used in countries.....

As a teacher, I totally agree. I am so overworked and underpaid. By 2 PM, I am so mentally tired but yet, I keep on for the sake of my students. Even my students are restless and distracted by that time too.

If they would stop piling teacher with so much BS paperwork, maybe we wouldnt feel so overworked and burnt out.

I have to agree with those ideas of longer school days.

My opinion, a month and a half (or less than two months) vacation is good enough.

Well, Liebling, Bydie, Netrox, SteelX, and a several another ADers are right. You see, at my former school, I did not have so many friends. They were really never inivent (sp) me to their houses except my best friends. I didn't go outgoing very much except special holidays or some members of my family had their birthday. I always did the self-taught in some ways, so I was only studied whatever I want to learn. But it was pretty difficult to do it alone without any help, due to my lack of grammar. Sometimes, my family didn't want to help me. Each summer, I forget some importance things to know... It was so sucks. So, I do think longer school days is pretty important for the knowlegde. Kids and teens really need it more than anything!

I prefer to see schools have longer school days for the improvement on education, and in my opinion, I think schools really NEED uniforms as a proper clothe code. I just cant stand how much teens/kids want to be so sexy for attention. :roll:

Longer days is not the solution...maybe year round schooling but definitely not longer days. Teachers are already so burnt out..if school days were to be extended, I think less people will be interested in becoming teachers due to the low pay and high stress related to the job.

Longer days is not the solution...maybe year round schooling but definitely not longer days. Teachers are already so burnt out..if school days were to be extended, I think less people will be interested in becoming teachers due to the low pay and high stress related to the job.

Understandable. I hope you don't mind me to ask, what is the solution for that?

I don't know about elementary schools, but couldn't they give teachers shifts for high schoolers?

I don't see high schoolers really having a problem with different teachers, elementary I can understand and see how that can potentially be bad.
Most public high schools and junior high's follow the class period system around here.

Now talking money payscale wise, I'm not even sure how this whole deal would even work.

Regarding "edmucation" of the children:
Some may not see a reason for their kid to be so brainy or smart, despite this, it is where all the money is to be earned in the labor market for their futures.
Now not all even have to work in the labor market or could care less. I can understand that.

I actually like the idea of year round education. When I was a kid, I went to summer school because I wanted to (it wasn't required and my mother didn't force me). Yes, it sucked to get up early but I liked it.

Also, you retain knowledge much better if you keep up with it. You can forget a LOT in three months if you don't get stimulated continously. Besides I really liked the teachers I had.

My kids did well... Due to I kept encouraging them to read or learn during the quiet times, of the summer months. I kept challenging my kids.

That just shows me that parents also needs to participate. In foreign countries you see a lot more parent participation.

I understand not all kids are fortunate to have parents that are involved with their children lives.

More school hours... More homework, more lack of parents helping the children. Perhaps due to they have to work. But with all the fundings being cut. It is so hard to even to get a tutor for a child... Unless they "qualify" due to income.

Income, should not a reason why a child can not learn. Hate to sound harse. Parents are also the blame... Regardless of income. Take the time to work with a child at home.

I have seen many, many cases... That a parent does not even check to see if the child has done their homework, sign the agenda, Or even know their child Teacher's name.

:(

I do feel that America, Needs a major overhaul on education. but by adding days. Will only stress, and set up more failure. Due to the lack of sources we have. Financially and others.

The other thing I noticed about the schools in America is that we tend to give the students a day off for every holiday.......

I remember visiting my cousins who had Christmas Break, Spring Break and then have 3 months off for the summer.

Now it seems that every month--there is a 3 or 4 day weekend for the students as well as Thanskgiving break, Winter break, Mid-Winter break, Spring break....I mean for crying out loud--how many breaks do the students need?

No wonder our schools are in crisis mode as we are too busy giving the students breaks!

Honestly I believe that the government has the right to be involved in the education sector in terms of funding, however I also believe that instead of lawmakers dictating how the students should be taught, it should be left up to the teachers to dictate what works and what doesn't.

Hmm... There's a lot of interesting points raised here.

You know, America is supposed to be one of the best country in the world. How can we possibly keep up with this when we are actually failing to provide the educational needs for our children as par as compared to several other countries that are already able to excel/fare much better than we do?

It is no question that the educational system here are in a big mess and how can we re-vamp that? Perhaps longer school days may do the work but before that happens - the economy crisis needs to be sorted out first in order to be able to pay these teachers the income that they desperately need.

Our children goes to school for some 12 years (plus some college/post educational stages) and where does that leave for the rest of their lives? That is something that needs to be thought about because the less we receive/learn, the less we could be productive in the society. It's not like we will have to be going to school all our lives to stay in the classrooms. In fact, we learn a lot more out of the classrooms as well. I think with the longer school days and/or with the longer school year - That very well could help our children to excel better not just because it is for the competition of saying we are better than others but because of how we can possibly ever get a better opportunity to represent for the future.

Right now we have 3 months of summer break and when the kids return to school for the fall semester - Half of the fall semester is wasted because they have to review just about everything that was forgotten during the summer period. That also slows down everything. So, with that - it does impede the educational process by preventing others to learn new things rather than reviewing the stuffs that were taught from the previous year.

Pressure? Stresses? Suicide? Well it may seem like it is too much to have a longer school year but I don't think it is why what is causing that. When having a rotating break in between - that also helps blow off some steams where as for having a longer break; it can also be tiring for both the kids and the parents.

So with that being said - It is no secret that the educational system needs a major overhaul. With longer school days, it may be a bit overbearing but in the long run, it could very well be worth it.

Just saying. :)

Year round school with breaks in between.

Parents need to take the responsibility of educating their children. Doesn't have to be formal lesson plans or direct instruction but be more involved! Don't put children in front of the TV or let them play video games for hours each day. Talk to them, take opportunities of events during time together to each them the basics and READ to them for at least 30 mins a day or have them read daily and discuss what they read.

NMy 3 year old son already has a large vocabulary in both ASL and English because I expose him to it by talking/signing to him. He already understands the concept of "spicy" and uses it in his daily language. I fingerspell every word he sees or whenever he shows an interest in print. Also, I tell him the letters in spoken English as well.

Little things like that while they r so young make a world of difference for them.

Our children goes to school for some 12 years (plus some college/post educational stages) and where does that leave for the rest of their lives?

Gorgeous post as always.

However this comment and question I want to add to is that we are failing our children in not stressing that education is an ongoing process. Many individuals just focus on obtaining their diploma and not embracing the learning process and that is where it is hurting us.

Year round school with breaks in between.

Parents need to take the responsibility of educating their children. Doesn't have to be formal lesson plans or direct instruction but be more involved! Don't put children in front of the TV or let them play video games for hours each day. Talk to them, take opportunities of events during time together to each them the basics and READ to them for at least 30 mins a day or have them read daily and discuss what they read.

NMy 3 year old son already has a large vocabulary in both ASL and English because I expose him to it by talking/signing to him. He already understands the concept of "spicy" and uses it in his daily language. I fingerspell every word he sees or whenever he shows an interest in print. Also, I tell him the letters in spoken English as well.

Little things like that while they r so young make a world of difference for them.

The other thing I noticed about the schools in America is that we tend to give the students a day off for every holiday.......

I remember visiting my cousins who had Christmas Break, Spring Break and then have 3 months off for the summer.

Now it seems that every month--there is a 3 or 4 day weekend for the students as well as Thanskgiving break, Winter break, Mid-Winter break, Spring break....I mean for crying out loud--how many breaks do the students need?

No wonder our schools are in crisis mode as we are too busy giving the students breaks!

Honestly I believe that the government has the right to be involved in the education sector in terms of funding, however I also believe that instead of lawmakers dictating how the students should be taught, it should be left up to the teachers to dictate what works and what doesn't.

A lot of those breaks are in a high debate as we speak in this forumn. Due to the religious holidays are the ones that takes weeks off.

Presidents Day. Memorial Day, Gives an extra day off. religious holidays. People take weeks off. SO they are able to spend the time with their families.

Now.. Since America is so diverse. Other religions, want to be able to spend extra time off. Same as the standard Christian holidays.

I do not want to throw religions in this thread. but just simply explaining why certain holidays have an extended vacation.

A lot of those breaks are in a high debate as we speak in this forumn. Due to the religious holidays are the ones that takes weeks off.

Presidents Day. Memorial Day, Gives an extra day off. religious holidays. People take weeks off. SO they are able to spend the time with their families.

Now.. Since America is so diverse. Other religions, want to be able to spend extra time off. Same as the standard Christian holidays.

I do not want to throw religions in this thread. but just simply explaining why certain holidays have an extended vacation.

I hear you loud and clear.

However do you find it interesting that we can't say the pledge in our classrooms because it says, "Under God" in it and yet the schools get days off for religious days/weekends/weeks?

Sounds like they are speaking out of both sides of theirs mouths.....

Gorgeous post as always.

However this comment and question I want to add to is that we are failing our children in not stressing that education is an ongoing process. Many individuals just focus on obtaining their diploma and not embracing the learning process and that is where it is hurting us.

Thanks.

You're right - education is an ongoing process but however, with the greater significance of not embracing it is why it hurts when we all have to waste the half of the school year to review it. That is the problem, unfortunately.

I hear you loud and clear.

However do you find it interesting that we can't say the pledge in our classrooms because it says, "Under God" in it and yet the schools get days off for religious days/weekends/weeks?

Sounds like they are speaking out of both sides of theirs mouths.....

I agree!!

Our county did that last year, and a few of our neighboring counties.

For "Easter" We only had Good Friday and the weekend off. Spring break was a few weeks after.

It was a disaster! Due to many kids did not show up "Easter week" Families and etc took off.

Then when spring break was around. Kids were left stranded at home. Due to the parents went back to work.

Never seen so many temporary enrollments at the center I worked at during that week.

It was absolutely insane!

But I do agree about the "Pledge"

Speaking from both ends! "Meaning out of their asses and mouths"

Guess the Government can not please everyone!

That is why it is such a hot debate about the separation of church and states.

Schools are within communities. A widely diverse one! Should they be able to excused certain kids, from school with certain beliefs?? Meaning to allow them to take certain vacations? Due to their culture, and beliefs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back