Obama Proposes Longer School Days, Extended School Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those internships have nothing to do with education. So they do not apply here.
yes they do. By removing 3 months of summer vacation for students, you are denying them of an extensive hand-on experience.. or worse - a career opportunity... which is internship. Anybody can tell you that nothing beats the hand-on experience. Not even a classroom.

Mechanics involves the building of the motor. Body work involves the design and building of the body.
And that's what I'm telling you. I doubt that was your intention. Anyway...

I don't have to show it. There are plenty of stats out there that do show the benefit. What in the world does psychology have to do with it? You are really arguing just for the sake of arguing now, Jiro. If you want to argue against an extended school year, come up with something valid.
ah... the classic tactic of yours.... :) and I've already argued why extended school year makes no sense to me.

Oops! My bad. Better known under the umbrella of achievement testing.:giggle:

I know! but what you stated sounds better

Assesments! Sounds horrible.. like a government term...

They rate the schools and fund the schools based on assessing the comprehension of what the students have.. based on the state Standards.

So just stating the full word of what FCAT is. Shows what the government is looking for.

I do understand some teachers are lousy. But how can good teachers teach with not having the tools. Not having the back up.

yes they do. By removing 3 months of summer vacation for students, you are denying them of an extensive hand-on experience.. or worse - a career opportunity... which is internship. Anybody can tell you that nothing beats the hand-on experience. Not even a classroom.

How in the world is an extended school year denying anyone hands on experience? That is simply absurd. And no one is able to achieve a career without an education. Kids aren't supposed to have careers. Getting an education is their career.

And that's what I'm telling you. I doubt that was your intention. Anyway...

ah... the classic tactic of yours.... :) and I've already argued why extended school year makes no sense to me.

Just because it makes no sense to you doesn't mean that it makes no sense. It makes quite a bit of sense to educators.

I know! but what you stated sounds better

Assesments! Sounds horrible.. like a government term...

They rate the schools and fund the schools based on assessing the comprehension of what the students have.. based on the state Standards.

So just stating the full word of what FCAT is. Shows what the government is looking for.

I do understand some teachers are lousy. But how can good teachers teach with not having the tools. Not having the back up.

That is just it. The best teacher in the world is at a disadvantage when they are using textbooks that are 30 years old and have no access to technology. And, they are now having to teach to the test in order not to loose the little funding they have, rather than actually teaching the curriculum. It is a sad state of affairs.

Again, you have provided nothing that supports the auto industry taking a "hit" from year round schooling. You are making quite a leap in logic here. The auto industries are currently seeing a "hit" on their gross earnings and it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of education.

Any damage caused by young drivers is the concern of the insurance industry, not the automotive industry. Re: the 13 year old stealing a car example that you came up with: 13 year olds that are spending more time in school have less time to steal cars.

Um.. okay.

I'm just the messenger. I'm telling AD what I learned from multiple business management and improvement seminars consisting of several hundred people each session, of cliff notes to what the monopolizing e-software industry had to share to them over why these months are crucial for business advancement, and investment opportunities.

I can refer you to some addresses, phone numbers for contact if you would like to disprove of the information Mitchell (and MPX subsidiaries) organization shares with its employees. There is also a toll free international number if you would like to contact regarding feedback and suggestions. I'm all in for having the right information available, whether one is right or wrong.

RE: Regarding the [auto] insurance corporations, this is a grave mistake for ya to assume that they are not related to the automotive industry..
I can easily say this in the definition of three words, might want to google direct repair facility, direct repair program to get the facts straight.. Unless you know something that I don't.

I think I see why, you are arguing over the effect of education on students; I'm referring to fiscal matters caused by students. The two do not go hand in hand. You are mentioning that their problems will go away when they go to school more. I am saying how teenagers affect financial matters in the automotive world, regardless of how often they go to school (and that one who has more free time is more likely to be involved).

I mean, simply.. Think of it for a second. A just recent adolescent child who has free time, wants to drive/just begun, goes out for a spin, ends up in an accident. Is this common sense to be ignored?

That is just it. The best teacher in the world is at a disadvantage when they are using textbooks that are 30 years old and have no access to technology. And, they are now having to teach to the test in order not to loose the little funding they have, rather than actually teaching the curriculum. It is a sad state of affairs.

Exactly... That is why I had to go before the school board to get my children in a "Graded A" School. Knowing my daughter is in the gifted program, and my son making As and Bs. Shame.. that I have to seek schools outside their district. To make sure the school is funded so my children can get the quality education they deserve.

Some here obviously need a briefing on what year round school actually involves, as they are going on some very mistaken assumptions. So here it is:

Definition of Year Round Education
Schools in America operate on a 10-month system. This was established when the United States was still a largely agrarian nation. Children were often needed to work in the fields during the summer. Obviously times have changed today. Many people advocate doing away with this 'antiquated' system and moving to year round education. What exactly does this phrase mean? Generally, it means that schools will continue to operate on a 180 day system, yet they will spread these days out differently with shorter breaks between each term. The most popular example of year round education is the 45-15 plan. This has students attending school 45 days and then getting three weeks (15 days) off. The normal breaks (holiday, spring) are still built into this calendar. Of course, many others ways exist to organize the calendar, including the 60-20 and the 90-30 plans. The other facet of implementation is the track. Single-track year round education involves an entire school using the same calendar and getting the same holidays off. Multiple-track year round education has groups of students attending school at different times with different vacations. Multi-tracking usually occurs because it is a way for school districts to save money. Year round education is a very complex topic with many variables that must be considered, not the least of which is the motivation behind a school district's decision to change their current calendar.

Year Round Education - attending school year round

Um.. okay.

I'm just the messenger. I'm telling AD what I learned from multiple business management and improvement seminars consisting of several hundred people each session, of cliff notes to what the monopolizing e-software industry had to share to them over why these months are crucial for business advancement, and investment opportunities.

I can refer you to some addresses, phone numbers for contact if you would like to disprove of the information Mitchell (and MPX subsidiaries) organization shares with its employees. There is also a toll free international number if you would like to contact regarding feedback and suggestions. I'm all in for having the right information available, whether one is right or wrong.

RE: Regarding the [auto] insurance corporations, this is a grave mistake for ya to assume that they are not related to the automotive industry..
I can easily say this in the definition of three words, might want to google direct repair facility, direct repair program to get the facts straight.. Unless you know something that I don't.

I think I see why, you are arguing over the effect of education on students; I'm referring to fiscal matters caused by students. The two do not go hand in hand. You are mentioning that their problems will go away when they go to school more. I am saying how teenagers affect financial matters in the automotive world, regardless of how often they go to school (and that one who has more free time is more likely to be involved).

I mean, simply.. Think of it for a second. A just recent adolescent child who has free time, wants to drive/just begun, goes out for a spin, ends up in an accident. Is this common sense to be ignored?

I'd be interested to know exactly how any of the people conducting these seminars claimed that year round schooling would have a negative impact on their industry.

No where did I say that year round schooling would solve all the problems. But if fiscal issues and education are not connected, as you have just stated, why are you bringing fiscal issues into a discussion of education? Seems a bit off topic according to your own explanation.

Juvenile drivers have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of year round schools. But to use your example again, the student who is in school has less time to drive around and cause accidents. But if you are worried about the rate of accidents and young drivers, then you need to address the age of licensure and insurance issues, not year round school.

again - blaming the system and government. Maybe the root of the problem begins at parents.... and the society they live in. Majority of us do not live in a society with a cultural sense that puts much emphasis on being the smartest student on the block. Apparently - Japaneses do. Koreans do.

Give them latest computers and textbooks... I will guarantee you that the improvement is mediocre at best. We simply need to change the education system to adapt to our modern needs and to make it more stimulating. Let's face it - we all have A.D.D. We get bored so quickly despite of latest computers and textbooks. Not all of us are interested in learning algebra, history, chemistry, etc. Million of Americans can get by not knowing algebra or chemistry. That's why extending the school year makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to me. I surely expect an increase rate of high school drop-outs because it's nothing but a waste of time.

I understand your noble agenda but sorry to burst your bubble - it's unrealistic and unfeasible.

How in the world is an extended school year denying anyone hands on experience?
and how do you propose giving students a hand-on experience during extended school year?

That is simply absurd. And no one is able to achieve a career without an education. Kids aren't supposed to have careers. Getting an education is their career.
right..... and many jobs require GED/High School degree. You're counting on them to head toward to colleges. I do not expect them to do so.

Just because it makes no sense to you doesn't mean that it makes no sense. It makes quite a bit of sense to educators.
I'm sorry but no it does not make any sense to me because it's a tax money drain and an additional stress on educators. It's not economical nor realistic nor feasible.

Exactly... That is why I had to go before the school board to get my children in a "Graded A" School. Knowing my daughter is in the gifted program, and my son making As and Bs. Shame.. that I have to seek schools outside their district. To make sure the school is funded so my children can get the quality education they deserve.

Agreed. If all districts were funded equitably, you wouldn't have to go out of district.

and how do you propose giving students a hand-on experience during extended school year?
After school and during breaks. Please read the definition of year round school.

right..... and many jobs require GED/High School degree. You're counting on them to head toward to colleges. I do not expect them to do so.

Where did I say anything about students heading to college? Really, Jiro, read what is written.
I'm sorry but no it does not make any sense to me because it's a tax money drain and an additional stress on educators. It's not economical nor realistic nor feasible.

Please explain how it will be a tax money drain. Year round school is actually more economical, not less.

Internships? Work release?

Internships? Work release?

that would not be possible according to Jillio's comment - "Kids aren't supposed to have careers. Getting an education is their career."

I'd be interested to know exactly how any of the people conducting these seminars claimed that year round schooling would have a negative impact on their industry.

No where did I say that year round schooling would solve all the problems. But if fiscal issues and education are not connected, as you have just stated, why are you bringing fiscal issues into a discussion of education? Seems a bit off topic according to your own explanation.

Juvenile drivers have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of year round schools. But to use your example again, the student who is in school has less time to drive around and cause accidents. But if you are worried about the rate of accidents and young drivers, then you need to address the age of licensure and insurance issues, not year round school.

In the state of Florida. If a child under the age of 18 quits or does not serve a certain amount of time in school... They can not get a Drivers License. Or if they already have a DL, it can and will be suspended.

I know that for a fact due to my Brother in Law. Had his suspended due to he missed too many days of school. Pissed him off he had to go to school for 30 straight days with out missing a day to get his license back.

Again driving is a privilege.

Again it really has nothing to do with this topic.

But decided to mention it.

According to the National Association for Year-Round Education, the trend is growing. Over 3,000 schools had year-round education programs last year. That's less than four percent of all schools, but it's four times the number of students in year-round schools 10 years ago.

Despite what you might think, year-round school does not necessarily mean less vacation time.

In reality, students in most American year-round school districts spend the same amount of days in class as students in traditional calendar schools - the days are just arranged differently, with smaller, more frequent breaks throughout the year. The summer break is perhaps only a month, instead of two or three.

If year-round school does not mean that students are in class more days, why do some education officials believe that students will perform better by simply changing the scheduling?

One idea is that students and teachers, refreshed by more frequent breaks, will not get burnt-out as easily. Some teachers also complain that on traditional schedules, too much time is spent reviewing in the fall, after many students have forgotten what they learned the previous year. Many immigrant children fall behind because they are not exposed to English during the long summer breaks.

Also, students requiring academic support don't have to wait to go to summer school to get help. Instead, they can attend remedial classes earlier in the year, to catch -- and fix -- problems quicker.

Supporters say year-round systems improve academic performance. They point to Japan, where student scores are higher then those in the U.S. and where students attend classes 220 days a year on average, as opposed to 180 days in America.

NewsHour Extra: Year-Round Schooling - August 8, 2001

that would not be possible according to Jillio's comment - "Kids aren't supposed to have careers. Getting an education is their career."

I can see my 10 and 12 year old having a career.... They are basically getting an education, so they can develop the skills, to have a career in the future.

So going to school, and getting an education is their career. It is our job and responsibility, to make sure our children are educated.

Your fatal mistake: Internships are not careers. They are training (e.g. educational) experiences.:roll: And I have already explained exactly how internships are still possible with year round schooling.

Ok.. I'll recap just in case people aren't seeing it.

Earning $ in the automotive industry is a BONUS when it comes to the months that teenagers are driving around or getting in accidents when they shouldn't be.

This in turn increases and aids those who work with the automotive industry, with more money to be earned.

With more schooling, this will make (legal) aged 15-18 teenagers more likely to be busy with school and not out and frolicking about. Meaning, there is less cash to be earned since they aren't there causing accidents.

Meaning overall, if more school days are seen, there is less opportunities for the auto world to make money.

Whether that is bad or good, I don't care, all I'm telling and describing for you is a cause and effect scenario.
There may be other business that thrive on "students" being out of school that are not mentioned which might get affected, that is all I am saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back