Obama Proposes Longer School Days, Extended School Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see my 10 and 12 year old having a career.... They are basically getting an education, so they can develop the skills, to have a career in the future.

So going to school, and getting an education is their career. It is our job and responsibility, to make sure our children are educated.

Exactly!! Getting an education is their job right now. Education leads to a career.

awwww. good bye summer fun..it's have been good while it lasted.

(actually I think it is better for city schools to be year around. country school have to get up early in the morning and get home really late because it is a long way. that's rural life for you, I grew up with it. Plus people like to travel in the summer rather they have year round or not. So country folks help people with that. So they definitely need to help out with summer jobs.

It always took us about 30 or 45 minutes to get home from school (some areas is longer).. so if it late, it will definitely be late for rural area folks.

I work at a school for "at risk youth", basically it is the kids who have fallen so far behind that they have no chance of graduating on time. These are kids who show up high and drunk to school, IF they bother to show up at all. They are the kids who have been locked up, over and over again. They are the kids who brought a knife to school, they are the rejected and failed kids.

That being said, they could use more time in school! You know what they are doing when they aren't at school? I promise that they aren't working!!

Ok.. I'll recap just in case people aren't seeing it.

Earning $ in the automotive industry is a BONUS when it comes to the months that teenagers are driving around or getting in accidents when they shouldn't be.

This in turn increases and aids those who work with the automotive industry, with more money to be earned.

With more schooling, this will make (legal) aged 15-18 teenagers more likely to be busy with school and not out and frolicking about. Meaning, there is less cash to be earned since they aren't there causing accidents.

Meaning overall, if less school days are seen, there is less opportunities for the auto world to make money.

Whether that is bad or good, I don't care, all I'm telling and describing for you is a cause and effect scenario.

You are still attempting to link two unrelated concepts. We understand what you are saying. We are simply saying that it is in no way connected to the topic of year round school. Please read the explanation of what year round school entails.

And you cannot determine cause and effect without empirical research studies.

I work at a school for "at risk youth", basically it is the kids who have fallen so far behind that they have no chance of graduating on time. These are kids who show up high and drunk to school, IF they bother to show up at all. They are the kids who have been locked up, over and over again. They are the kids who brought a knife to school, they are the rejected and failed kids.

That being said, they could use more time in school! You know what they are doing when they aren't at school? I promise that they aren't working!!

There you go! More time in school under supervision, less time to get into trouble and away from supervision.

Year-round school programs slowly are getting a foothold in Minnesota.

This misunderstood modified school calendar has some educational advantages for all students. Most communities and many teachers either oppose it or are afraid to try year-round education.

In Minnesota there are 27 year-round educational programs. They are succeeding wherever they’ve been started.

Throughout the country, 2 million youngsters are attending year-round schools, mainly in California, Texas, Florida and Kentucky.

Year-round education should be considered by more school districts because it is another choice for parents and could be a space-saver for districts squeezed for space.

Students start school Aug. 1, and have nine-week sessions and three-week vacation breaks, as well as five weeks off in the summer.

When the students return for class, they spend little time reviewing subject matter and are ready for new material. The different break times give parents an opportunity to go on vacation other than during the summer.

The year-round school is particularly attractive for students who have special needs or who are gifted.

Year-round school has educational advantage

There you go! More time in school under supervision, less time to get into trouble and away from supervision.

which is what naisho has been saying all along...... perhaps I should ask naisho to make a dumbed-down version for you. :roll:

Your fatal mistake: Internships are not careers. They are training (e.g. educational) experiences.:roll:

Please kindly point out where did I say that internships are careers. Some schools offer automotive courses. By having 3 months of summer vacation, the students can have opportunity to have a hand-on experience in automotive industry. It surely beats the heck out of spending hours in classroom on useless stuff that serve no purpose to their future.

Internship can be translated into a full-time career after graduating high school. College degree is not always needed unless the students are interested in pursuing further education such as mechanical engineering.

I can see my 10 and 12 year old having a career.... They are basically getting an education, so they can develop the skills, to have a career in the future.

So going to school, and getting an education is their career. It is our job and responsibility, to make sure our children are educated.

yes. that's why many jobs require GED/high school degree. Of course I want all students to graduate high school. It's very important for them to have basic knowledge. Like I said - not all are going to college.

College costs time and money... that handful of students do not have.

which is what naisho has been saying all along...... perhaps I should ask naisho to make a dumbed-down version for you. :roll:

I see you are resorting to your usual tactics of insults.:roll:

I understand perfectly what naisho is saying. I am saying it is not related nor connected.

Please kindly point out where did I say that internships are careers. Some schools offer automotive courses. By having 3 months of summer vacation, the students can have opportunity to have a hand-on experience in automotive industry. It surely beats the heck out of spending hours in classroom on useless stuff that serve no purpose to their future.

Internship can be translated into a full-time career after graduating high school. College degree is not always needed unless the students are interested in pursuing further education such as mechanical engineering.

And if a kid gets a job in the industry, he can leave school, earn credit and money at the same time. It is work release.

yes. that's why many jobs require GED/high school degree. Of course I want all students to graduate high school. It's very important for them to have basic knowledge. Like I said - not all are going to college.

College costs time and money... that handful of students do not have.

Again, what does college have to do with year round pre-secondary and elementary education?

I see you are resorting to your usual tactics of insults.:roll:

I understand perfectly what naisho is saying. I am saying it is not related nor connected.

by praising faire_joule's post, you just validated naisho's post. I guess there's no way in trying to make you understand such a simple concept.

Moving on.......

Again, what does college have to do with year round pre-secondary and elementary education?

and who said I'm talking about pre-secondary and elementary education? In case you got lost, I'm talking about high school.

You used my quote...you tell me how you made such a ridiculous connection. And students still have that same opportunity for hands on experience with year round school. Have you even bothered to read the description of year round schooling, the number of days spent in a classroom, and the number of breaks per year?

Education is useless? Nice one, Jiro.

Year-round school programs slowly are getting a foothold in Minnesota.

This misunderstood modified school calendar has some educational advantages for all students. Most communities and many teachers either oppose it or are afraid to try year-round education.

In Minnesota there are 27 year-round educational programs. They are succeeding wherever they’ve been started.

Throughout the country, 2 million youngsters are attending year-round schools, mainly in California, Texas, Florida and Kentucky.

Year-round education should be considered by more school districts because it is another choice for parents and could be a space-saver for districts squeezed for space.

Students start school Aug. 1, and have nine-week sessions and three-week vacation breaks, as well as five weeks off in the summer.

When the students return for class, they spend little time reviewing subject matter and are ready for new material. The different break times give parents an opportunity to go on vacation other than during the summer.

The year-round school is particularly attractive for students who have special needs or who are gifted.

Year-round school has educational advantage

my cousin goes year round in her small town.. the school was alittle small and crowded for their teacher ratio. they had to break up the students. I can't say it really made that much difference. but it did help the classroom smaller.

That's true. Actually, I met a hearing man at RIT, and he never graduated from a college, but he had the training. He is very lucky to have the job at RIT as an engineering for many years. i.e. Peter Jenning was one of them.

And if a kid gets a job in the industry, he can leave school, earn credit and money at the same time. It is work release.

cool. there you go. school is not everything. school doesn't always translate into jobs. Nowadays - they (certain industry/jobs) want people with skills, not people with books.

my cousin goes year round in her small town.. the school was alittle small and crowded for their teacher ratio. they had to break up the students. I can't say it really made that much difference. but it did help the classroom smaller.

Yep. And smaller classrooms means more individual attention for each student. That is always a positive thing. Expecially in the earlier grades. Plus, it is a more cost efficient use of resources.

oh btw, year round does cost more pollution if the buses have to travel long distance in rural areas in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back