Obama does the waiter bow to Japan's Emperor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. There are variations on the depths of the bow. However, American Presidents do not bow. I've praticed the Japanese martial arts Aikido for several years and I certainly do understand the meaning of the bows (both upright and in a kneeling position). What Obama did was of a subservient bow by placing him beneath the Emperor's position.

um... you might wanna try living in a bowing culture for a while. aikido is a poor way of understanding this matter. aikido bowing IS NOT EQUAL to social bowing

again - By your logic - why would Asian friends bow to each other if you're telling us it's a showing of subserviency?

I am sure the Emperor has enough knowledge that Obama is new to their customs and is bound to make mistakes.

If it were the first time he had made this "mistake" that would be one thing, but it's not. He did this before and obviously didn't learn from that "mistake".

If it were the first time he had made this "mistake" that would be one thing, but it's not. He did this before and obviously didn't learn from that "mistake".

Well, what are we supposed to do?

um... you might wanna try living in a bowing culture for a while. aikido is a poor way of understanding this matter. aikido bowing IS NOT EQUAL to social bowing

again - By your logic - why would Asian friends bow to each other if you're telling us it's a showing of subserviency?

Guess I'm wrong then.

Jiro said:
I posted a chart showing the intentions behind the level of each bow. I doubt one Asian friend would bow deeply to his buddy for a mere greeting.

I posted a chart showing the intentions behind the level of each bow. I doubt one Asian friend would bow deeply to his buddy for a mere greeting.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: BUZZZZZZZ!!!!!!! WRONG AGAIN! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

shel90 said:
Well, what are we supposed to do?
Refer to the chart. Obama had been directed on this issue before. Most presidents refer to their advisors on matters of foreign behaviors. He obviously hasn't followed their advice.

Refer to the chart. Obama had been directed on this issue before. Most presidents refer to their advisors on matters of foreign behaviors. He obviously hasn't followed their advice.

Or maybe when Obama was bowing, he didnt realize he bowed in a certain way. How do we really know what Obama did or didnt do. Was there an announcement made by him?

I'd assume that it's no different than bowing to your classmates in taewando classes. Dunno about other karate classes.

That isn't about diplomacy.

You bow to your instructor. You bow before entering the dojo and leaving. You bow toward a picture of the founder of that martial art (or a "shrine" so to speak) as a matter of respect for the founder's dedication and hard work. You bow to each other prior to practice. What Obama did was beyond bowing, he did the ultimate subservient bow placing him lower than the Emperor.

interesting wording - says the armchair critic. How about this - maybe he had a brain-fart and he forgot what degree of angle you should do.

Let's see how you do in this kind of high-profile publicity without flaw. GWB made plenty of gaffes and we didn't pick on him for that. we just lol'ed.

george-bush-door-292x300.jpg

Or maybe when Obama was bowing, he didnt realize he bowed in a certain way. How do we really know what Obama did or didnt do. Was there an announcement made by him?

He should have learned the first time about bowing to a Saudi King at the G8 Summit. Now, he did it again, only worse and a much lower bow. A firm handshake and a smile would've sufficed, as well as diplomatically proper, too. Instead he made a classic noobie mistake.

interesting wording - says the armchair critic. How about this - maybe he had a brain-fart and he forgot what degree of angle you should do.

Let's see how you do in this kind of high-profile publicity without flaw. GWB made plenty of gaffes and we didn't pick on him for that. we just lol'ed.

My thinking too..he probably had a brain fart...oh well.

He should have learned the first time about bowing to a Saudi King at the G8 Summit. Now, he did it again, only worse and a much lower bow. A firm handshake and a smile would've sufficed. Instead he made a classic noobie mistake.

oh? what was it when GWB held Saudi king's hand?
bush-abdullah-holding-hands.jpg

ahmadinejad_abdullah_hand_holding.jpg

or bowing to Pope? I thought we're a secular nation?
bush_bow.jpg

I remember hearing about Bush throwing up on the Emporeror. That was unfortunate and prolly quite embarrassing for the President and the Emporer.

So you're upset that Obama is giving deepest respect?

next time, someone needs to bring a yardstick so he/she can measure Obama's bow to ensure that he wont go tooo far. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back