Obama does the waiter bow to Japan's Emperor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly the biggest thing in the world, and certainly not as big as the bow to the king of Saudi Arabia. However, this country started off in opposition to monarchs and the idea that they, or any leader, are above anyone else. It's part of our heritage and standard protocol that our head of state does not bow to other heads of state.

One could write off protocol as meaningless symbolism, but there's a reason the State Department has a protocol office. We don't want to sent the wrong message to other countries. The bow to the king of Saudi Arabia was a big deal because it sent a signal of subservience to the Arab world. Symbolism may not be a huge deal to us, but the same doesn't apply to others around the world.

Like I said, not a huge deal, especially with an ally like Japan, but it is worthy of criticism without being labeled petulant, especially since he didn't seem to learn from his first mistake.

Right, DD. Obama simply didn't learn from his first mistake.

Mod note:

Thread closed at the creator request. :locked:

Eve and Reba, yep. This thread has ran it's course. As for debating, I agree. Some simply cannot follow that format.

Since I started this thread I am asking the mods it is time to close this thread due to some commenters inability to discuss these issues without personally attacking other commenters, and that this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back