Obama does the waiter bow to Japan's Emperor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's such a ridiculous point to argue. Oh gee, America is now under Japanese rule because Obama bowed to Akihito! Oh no!!! God forbid that we show a little class and humility. Really, the points that conservatives have to argue get weaker by the day.
I didn't say that America was under Japanese rule. The President bowing to another country's leader is not a sign of class or humility. It's a sign of not respecting the sacrifices of our forefathers to be able to look other leaders in the eye as President representing a sovereign nation.

It was a disappointment to see that Obama didn't learn his lesson from his previous debacle. I thought he was supposed to be a quick study. No?

I didn't say that America was under Japanese rule. The President bowing to another country's leader is not a sign of class or humility. It's a sign of not respecting the sacrifices of our forefathers to be able to look other leaders in the eye as President representing a sovereign nation.

Good grief. I don't see how, in even the most remote way, our president ceremonially bowing to the figurehead leader of a country that we destroyed in WWII takes anything away from those sacrifices made by our forefathers. Are we really that insecure as a nation?

It was a disappointment to see that Obama didn't learn his lesson from his previous debacle. I thought he was supposed to be a quick study. No?

Maybe that's because it was a "debacle" in your mind, but I think for a majority of Americans, they could care less. Obama isn't going to change his administration's policy of being respectful and open-minded just because a few tea baggers are screaming at him.

:gives:

It's such a ridiculous point to argue. Oh gee, America is now under Japanese rule because Obama bowed to Akihito! Oh no!!! God forbid that we show a little class and humility. Really, the points that conservatives have to argue get weaker by the day.

:laugh2:

Could care less. Hmmm.
Go ahead, try for it.

Our president should bow to NO ONE! He is not subservient to anyone. He is the one in the highest position of our country and to show subservience to another country makes a huge political statement, and not one we should be proud of. This is very discouraging :(

Sad to hear that someone from your culture giving a little respect to another culture is so offensive. You would get an "F" in my International Business course.

Also sad to see that this topic is being debated so much. :confused:

Run for our lives!

I'm glad that my kid is at an IB school.

Good grief. I don't see how, in even the most remote way, our president ceremonially bowing to the figurehead leader of a country that we destroyed in WWII takes anything away from those sacrifices made by our forefathers. Are we really that insecure as a nation?
It has nothing to do with security.

It's too bad that Obama "respects" foreign leaders more than he does the legacy of the Presidents before him.

Maybe that's because it was a "debacle" in your mind, but I think for a majority of Americans, they could care less. Obama isn't going to change his administration's policy of being respectful and open-minded just because a few tea baggers are screaming at him.
No one in this thread is "screaming" at Obama, and you are vulgar to refer to critics as "tea baggers."

Obama isn't going to change his administration's policy of disregarding protocol because he thinks he's above society's rules.

Sad to hear that someone from your culture giving a little respect to another culture is so offensive. You would get an "F" in my International Business course.
President Obama wasn't in Japan as a businessman; he was there as leader of our country. What's so respectful about showing the top of your head to the Emperor who's trying to make eye contact?

Also sad to see that this topic is being debated so much. :confused:
It takes two sides to make a debate. :)

Obama isn't going to change his administration's policy of disregarding protocol because he thinks he's above society's rules.

To me, it seems that he is simply showing to other leaders of the world that he is their equal. He is showing to other leaders that he is not above them, which technically is true, but you guys are the military power. I don't see anything wrong with Obama bowing. I applaud him for showing the rest of the world that he is respectful of other people and their cultural traditions. I think it is arrogant of posters in this thread to say that he should have not bowed in order to show power.

Didn't a politican who bowed to the emperor also caused an outcry during the post-WWII occupation...

Last edited:
To me, it seems that he is simply showing to other leaders of the world that he is their equal. He is showing to other leaders that he is not above them, which technically is true, but you guys are the military power. I don't see anything wrong with Obama bowing. I applaud him for showing the rest of the world that he is respectful of other people and their cultural traditions. I think it is arrogant of posters in this thread to say that he should have not bowed in order to show power.
If Obama is equal, then he should greet all the other leaders equally. Why does he bow to just some and not others? Either he doesn't respect them all equally or he is ignorant of proper protocol, or he's trying to impress them in some misguided way.

I never said he should "show power."

Did Obama copy the cultural traditions of all the other foreign leaders that he's met? If not, why not?

Image Description:

Two coconuts standing next to each other. One is saying "I'm gonna be a pina colada!", the other is saying "I'm gonna be a bra!"

How is this relevant to the thread? None. Why? Because it's not worth discussing. There are much bigger situations to take care of. For instance, there aren't enough coconuts available at the grocery stores. We need more coconut cream pies, they are pretty delicious. But that's if they are fresh and ripe.

The coconut here at Alldeaf went bad a pretty long time ago. It wouldn't make a good coconut cream pie at all.

:gives:

What would Superman comic strip look like if America got "Japan-ized"?

2572611.jpg

*it's a pix of Superman comic strip. Clark Kent's making a silly japanese face, holding up a tie - "SUCKY SUCKY! FIVE DORRAH! ME ROVE YOU RONG TIME, CHIEF! BAK CHOY!" His boss was giving him a scornful look - "You have a problem, Kent. Dammit, Kent! I don't need another lawsuit!"

THE WORLD; The President's Inclination: No, It Wasn't a Bow-Bow - The New York Times

Clinton got criticized for doing a compromise. If you notice, one of Reagan's own got in trouble for doing a curtsy to the English monarch.

Either way, like I said.. Obama bowed awkwardly. If it wasn't for the stills, it looked like he ducked his head rather than bowing and holding his position for a second or two.

I have to admit, he made the classic mistake that people-- bowed a bit too low, and he should had shook the emperor's hand after the bow. It's still a respectful bow, but I have to admit-- it's not easy to do.

I don't know if the reason why Obama bowed so low is because of his height, or the fact that it was awkward to begin with. Either way, when you mix a non-bowing culture with a bowing culture, you are going to have one of the parties making a mistake.

well-said souggy. I can tell you how many Americans and foreigners have made awkward bowing mistake to my dad. My dad was the vee-pee of major Korean corporation equivalent to American GM/Ford/GE. It's very easy to forget simple thing especially when you're in a very public view. it's silly for one to drum it loudly as an act of subservience :roll:

so yea - let's not be an armchair critic in here if you've never done it :)

well-said souggy. I can tell you how many Americans and foreigners have made awkward bowing mistake to my dad. My dad was the vee-pee of major Korean corporation equivalent to American GM/Ford/GE. It's very easy to forget simple thing especially when you're in a very public view. it's silly for one to drum it loudly as an act of subservience :roll:

so yea - let's not be an armchair critic in here if you've never done it :)

Right. Your dad grew up bowing all his life, probably more than a few times a day.

No one in this thread is "screaming" at Obama, and you are vulgar to refer to critics as "tea baggers."

I refer more to the general conservative community, not to specific people in this thread. Also, the term "tea bagger" has become a pretty standard term in the media and elsewhere used to describe tea party type conservatives. So fine, call me vulgar, but I'm in a pretty large boat here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back