NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys

No. I underlined the date for a reason. (hint - hint) Good guesses though!

I agree that telling others what to do smacks of authoritarianism if not dictatorialism.

Education is always the key. Appalachia was tough, but education has made things so much better. Provided better jobs and opportunities, better foods and food choices and the ability to manage what you do have.

Our family can buy one cheap (relative) steak and make it go for many meals. One round steak at 1.99 per pound on sale can be slivered into stir fries, chunked for stews, bits for soups and pounded thin for a sort of roulade. We usually (for two of us) divide it into 4 small parts and freeze it for use as needed. I have seen abuse too though.

Was that the day JFK died?

My childhood wasn't has harsh as LDNanna's but I can relate to some things.

We had a TV but it was always a black and white with snowy reception.

My first McDonald's meal was when I was about 12 years old. I didn't have another one until my late teens.

Pizza and grinders were more common to me because we lived in an Italian/Greek community with lots of mom-and-pop restaurants. No Pizza Huts or chain restaurants.

We collected bottles for refunds; it was like treasure hunting. :lol:

We had a Thanksgiving chicken, not turkey.

No AC in the summer.

No Food Stamps.

To this day, I'm queen of creative leftovers. :giggle:

My dad grew up on a farm in Indiana during the Depression, so his stories were worse than mine. He went barefoot and wearing overalls to a one-room school house. I've seen the pictures.

My childhood wasn't has harsh as LDNanna's but I can relate to some things.

We had a TV but it was always a black and white with snowy reception.
Same. We did not have color until 1971. And the kids played the role of remote control. "Put it on channel 4" hollered Dad.

My first McDonald's meal was when I was about 12 years old. I didn't have another one until my late teens. My family never went there. I remember Dad feeding the entire family with one Totino's pizza. Of course, that was when they filled a pizza pan. Now they look like a muffin.

Pizza and grinders were more common to me because we lived in an Italian/Greek community with lots of mom-and-pop restaurants. No Pizza Huts or chain restaurants. I think we did Shakey's Pizza for birthdays.

We collected bottles for refunds; it was like treasure hunting. :lol:
Yes, did same. Pennies were ALWAYS picked up.
We had a Thanksgiving chicken, not turkey.
There were up to 8 of us, so we did the turkey.

No AC in the summer.
We eventually had a window unit in a room in the basement. This room was the only room with AC, and we all (up to 8 of us) slept in there on really hot nights.

No Food Stamps. Did they even exist then? I never saw them.

To this day, I'm queen of creative leftovers. :giggle:

My dad grew up on a farm in Indiana during the Depression, so his stories were worse than mine. He went barefoot and wearing overalls to a one-room school house. I've seen the pictures.
I used to joke with Mom about how she walked 5 miles uphill to school both ways....:eek3:
Mom went through depression. She never stopped teaching the value of not wasting things. We did have turkey for Thanksgiving, but every single part of it was used for something; she would simmer the carcass to remove all the meat. The only thing thrown away was the bones.

My family never did have a color TV while I lived at home. Hubby and I finally bought a portable color TV around 1978. :lol:

My family never did have a color TV while I lived at home. Hubby and I finally bought a portable color TV around 1978. :lol:

You remember? Dang, I guess the transition from black and white to color sneaked by me, since I cannot remember! I cannot even remember the first time I saw closed captions on television, hmmm.
Anyway, my parents appeared on "Beat the Clock" (with Sonny Fox as the host) around 1959 and won about 8000 in loot, a good haul in those days. Among their winnings were seat belts, something brand new, and they were thrilled to be the first on the block to have them, hah.

My father grew up in 1950's and 1960's, there were not many fast food in anywhere and obese children are extremely rare, but smoking is very common, around half of adults smoke.

You remember? Dang, I guess the transition from black and white to color sneaked by me, since I cannot remember! I cannot even remember the first time I saw closed captions on television, hmmm.
Anyway, my parents appeared on "Beat the Clock" (with Sonny Fox as the host) around 1959 and won about 8000 in loot, a good haul in those days. Among their winnings were seat belts, something brand new, and they were thrilled to be the first on the block to have them, hah.
That is too cool! :lol:

My grandparents grew up in the Depression so they know what real work is!

My grandmother once told me she was 8 months pregnant with her oldest child and walked 7 miles early in the morning to pick cotton all day until sundown and walked the 7 miles back to her house and she would do this 7 days a week until all the cotton was picked. She finally went into labor and as soon as she could she went to work for the chicken plants, she did that for a number of years, bearing 4 more children and working right up until she went into labor and would return to work as quickly as possible. There was no maternity leave during this time either. When her youngest started kindergarten she went to work for the toy factory and often worked double shifts 2 or 3 times a week.

Nowadays an OB/GYN would have a coronary if he had one of his patients do just that!

Back