NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys

That's already happening in Duval County public schools.....(started last year I believe).....

In Alabama, only Birmingham and Mobile school districts banned on carbonated beverage in rest of school hours, that what I know so same goes with deaf school.

Removing sugary drinks from the food stamps program will not help. They will find other way. The best way is to have government to order food industry to change their habits with the crap they put in the foods and have FDA keep a close eye with them.

Another thing to add, organic and healthy food is generally too expensive for poor people to able to afford which is why they go for cheap, unhealthy and processed foods to survive. That is why lot of poor people are obese while many rich people are thinner because they can afford it while we can't.

Removing sugary drinks from the food stamps program will not help. They will find other way. The best way is to have government to order food industry to change their habits with the crap they put in the foods and have FDA keep a close eye with them.

Another thing to add, organic and healthy food is generally too expensive for poor people to able to afford which is why they go for cheap, unhealthy and processed foods to survive. That is why lot of poor people are obese while many rich people are thinner because they can afford it while we can't.

What are you think about Souggy's post?
AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys

Removing sugary drinks is a joke , what about the cereals for kids , they have 4 kind of sweeter in them! You might as well take a bowel of sugar and pour some milk into it.

Removing sugary drinks is a joke , what about the cereals for kids , they have 4 kind of sweeter in them! You might as well take a bowel of sugar and pour some milk into it.

No, that's not what he was saying.

He said that removing sugary soda from food stamp isn't going be helpful.

Maybe better to educate people regarding nutrition than to ban sales of some foods, snacks or treats. Growing up in the deep south, we ate lots of starch because it was easy to grow and cheap to buy. Healthy? No. As our area was industrialized we got more money. Did we get better food - yes. Also more "co-cola". Many families still chose to eat starchy foods and chug cokes. It was what we were used to. Beans and fried potatoes and corn, fried squash and coke.
What I am trying to convey is that education is better than bans.
Poor people want what others have. Even in the depression people would still buy a coke. Poor often means uneducated or poorly educated. There are also choices, if you grew up eating a certain sort of food, you still want it, but a soda makes it even better.
Oddly, before colas were common every day drinks rather than a treat, we made do with Southern sweet tea. It tastes like tea syrup. The really poor kids had koolaid. They really wanted cokes. When they got money, they bought them.
Besides, they should have it if they want it. Big whoop. The Prohibition did not work either. Saying no is often a red flag to want it more.
Eh, jmo.

Souggy - I agree that healthy, unadulterated food should be affordable to everyone.

Schools should educate about nutrition by both book and preparation, like the old home ec. days. That way kids would learn what to do with the good foods once they have them and to better manage monies.

It'll never happen because that would affect everyone who purchases food, not just food stamp users. Food stamp users are a minority.

Maybe better to educate people regarding nutrition than to ban sales of some foods, snacks or treats. Growing up in the deep south, we ate lots of starch because it was easy to grow and cheap to buy. Healthy? No. As our area was industrialized we got more money. Did we get better food - yes. Also more "co-cola". Many families still chose to eat starchy foods and chug cokes. It was what we were used to. Beans and fried potatoes and corn, fried squash and coke.
What I am trying to convey is that education is better than bans.
Poor people want what others have. Even in the depression people would still buy a coke. Poor often means uneducated or poorly educated. There are also choices, if you grew up eating a certain sort of food, you still want it, but a soda makes it even better.
Oddly, before colas were common every day drinks rather than a treat, we made do with Southern sweet tea. It tastes like tea syrup. The really poor kids had koolaid. They really wanted cokes. When they got money, they bought them.
Besides, they should have it if they want it. Big whoop. The Prohibition did not work either. Saying no is often a red flag to want it more.
Eh, jmo.

Souggy - I agree that healthy, unadulterated food should be affordable to everyone.

Schools should educate about nutrition by both book and preparation, like the old home ec. days. That way kids would learn what to do with the good foods once they have them and to better manage monies.

I think this is much better than banning those using food stamps from buying soda. Also good food should be much more accessiable to everyone.

Sugary soda isn't alone that caused obesity, all sugary and fatty foods do cause obesity, including fast food.

I feel that proposal to ban on sugary soda is just moot.

Also lack of exercises do cause obesity too.

You raise an excellent point here.

Well, wouldn't it be ideal if they were to lower the property taxes among the local farmers? If they do this, they may be able to provide fruits and vegetables at a better price for the poor. Also, they need to make changes on how much should be imported and exported in these places.

Wirelessly posted

Banjo said:
Well, wouldn't it be ideal if they were to lower the property taxes among the local farmers? If they do this, they may be able to provide fruits and vegetables at a better price for the poor. Also, they need to make changes on how much should be imported and exported in these places.

The problem here isn't the property taxes, but rather developers looking at zoned agricultural lands, which drives up the price of the lots-- meaning farmers who are just starting out cannot afford such a large investment. There's some talk about giving zoned areas protection from developers to keep the price of the lots down.

But a lot of the reason why processed food is so cheap is because of all the tax breaks the industrial sector gets that the farmers cannot recieve.

Last edited:
so ... will I be seeing signs in NY saying "Will work for mountain dew" ?

HERE WE GO AGAIN....LET THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF THE SITUATION!
GET REAL!! pEOPLE WILL DO WHAT EVER THEY FEEL LIKE AND TO HELL WITH EVERYONE ELSE. SO THE REAL ANSWER IS THAT IF ENOUGH PEOPLE DON'T BUY AN ITEM/FOOD THEN THAT ITEM/FOOD WILL FADE OUT. THE INDUSTRIES ONLY MAKE WHAT WILL SELL AND IF THE PEOPLE ARE "SPEAKING WITH THEIR WALLETS" THEN THIS CONTROLS THE INDUSTRIES. IF 90% OF THE PARENTS REFUSE TO TAKE THEIR CHILD TO McDONALDS.....BYE,BYE McDONALDS.....SAME WITH ANY OTHER BUSINESS THAT WANTS TO SELL "JUNK"...BE IT FOOD OR WHAT EVER. LEAVE THE GOVERNEMNT OUT OF THIS...THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO PROTECT THE BOARDERS AND WHAT A JOB THEY ARE DOING!

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

rolling7 said:

HERE WE GO AGAIN....LET THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF THE SITUATION!
GET REAL!! pEOPLE WILL DO WHAT EVER THEY FEEL LIKE AND TO HELL WITH EVERYONE ELSE. SO THE REAL ANSWER IS THAT IF ENOUGH PEOPLE DON'T BUY AN ITEM/FOOD THEN THAT ITEM/FOOD WILL FADE OUT. THE INDUSTRIES ONLY MAKE WHAT WILL SELL AND IF THE PEOPLE ARE "SPEAKING WITH THEIR WALLETS" THEN THIS CONTROLS THE INDUSTRIES. IF 90% OF THE PARENTS REFUSE TO TAKE THEIR CHILD TO McDONALDS.....BYE,BYE McDONALDS.....SAME WITH ANY OTHER BUSINESS THAT WANTS TO SELL "JUNK"...BE IT FOOD OR WHAT EVER. LEAVE THE GOVERNEMNT OUT OF THIS...THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO PROTECT THE BOARDERS AND WHAT A JOB THEY ARE DOING!

You forgot one thing....food industry do often put stuff in the food that make people addicted so they can make profits from them. People will NOT stop eating this and that until the government or a major protest will stop that.

Wirelessly posted

The problem here isn't the property taxes, but rather developers looking at zoned agricultural lands, which drives up the price of the lots-- meaning farmers who are just starting out cannot afford such a large investment. There's some talk about giving zoned areas protection from developers to keep the price of the lots down.

But a lot of the reason why processed food is so cheap is because of all the tax breaks the industrial sector gets that the farmers cannot recieve.

Valid point. You got a point about these farmers being unable to make an investment due to the high costs. They need more farms, but more and more are corporate-owned these days. It's hard for the little guy to win these days.

so ... will I be seeing signs in NY saying "Will work for mountain dew" ?

I know someone on AD would.

Anyway, the bad thing about buying just organic fresh food with foodstamp is that people would buy it but never eat it. It would just sit there and rots. Which is why many WIC rather cover processed food .

Although, there are plenty of processed food that have no nutrition values, so they often add nutritions to it... and sugar. Which is not good anyway.

I do understand about sugar drinks. People get thisty alot more than they get hungry. they should be drinking more water without the sugar. Beside, it's called foodstamp, not drinkstamp. Although, drinks do act as food in liquid form like smoothies, Ensure, milk, fruitjuice. ... I'm aware that some people need bottled water though.

i can't understand how kids in toddler age get so big like that. Toddlers are very picky eaters, and they don't always eat when their stomach is the size of your fist. I had food around the house, and even our son didn't get big like that. It must be the sugar drinks because I know they like alot of drinks.

Back