NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys

Yeah, if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck, just eat it. ;)

If it looks like a duck, looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, just shoot it...

...then you eat it.:giggle:

You shouldn't be able to buy steaks on food stamps, but you can.
You shouldn't be able to buy sodas on food stamps, but you can.
You shouldn't be able to buy candy on food stamps, but you can.
You shouldn't be able to buy boxed meals such as Stouffer's meals in a box, TV Dinners, Kraft Extra Cheesy Macaroni and Cheese, Lunchables, etc., but sadly you can.

What I'm getting at is we should make the WIC and FoodStamp programs work together to provide cost effective healthy alternatives and will even provide cooking classes to low income families, skills many modern low income families don't know.

Instead of buying pre-breaded frozen chicken strips, why not buy a whole fryer? Debone it yourself, marinade it, roll it in flour and fry in generic brand oil that contains no trans-fats. This is stuff my grandmother did to raise 5 children on one income as my grandfather wasn't able to work due to an injury he received on the job while working for the Corps of Engineers. They managed with what they had and I never hear my mom complain about her childhood nor did any of my aunts and uncles. They grew up in an area that was extremely rural, and every family was poor and struggling. FoodStamps and WIC didn't exist when my mother was growing up. All the children were adequately fed, clothed, and sheltered and given love. I have a lot of respect for families who decided to not use government assistance programs and just go and manage. These programs were originally designed to be a TEMPORARY help, not a long-term solution. Too many people see these as government freebies and handouts and abuse them as such.

I have one in my family that is notoriously playing the government. She refuses to get a full-time job, has three children all of them by different fathers, receives $500/month in FoodStamps, receives WIC, lives in a government funded apartment (the rent is only $140/month for her and she complains it is too high) and has sold her FoodStamps for cash money to go get a manicure and pedicure. People like her who are playing the system chap my ass as I am working 2 jobs, going to school part-time, raising a child, and yet I cannot move out on my own because just to move from here to an apartment in town would cost me $2,000.

i noticed that i see more obese people when I am in rural towns than when I am in metro cities.

went to a small town yesterday and I decided to stop at convenience store... I was shocked to see almost half of people being obese. I also see more people with O2 tanks.

What's up with that?!?!

Because there are fewer people in rural American than urban areas.

Actually it could be several factors:
1. Not enough adequate facilities such as bike paths, parks, etc for people with slight mobility problems to exercise. If the terrain is too challenging, then they don't exercise.
2. Many farmers now have quads and mules to get around on their farms rather than walking or riding horseback.
3. More older retired people move to rural areas to escape the smog and moved out to rural areas where the air is cleaner, this is true for asthmatics, COPD/CHF'ers and those with chronic emphysema. Sometimes they wait until it is too late and they are already on oxygen before they decide to move to a rural area.
4. In many rural areas, the produce is grown there but exported to larger cities instead of sold locally, thus only a handful of farmers will have enough produce to spare to share with their family and friends, OR only a small handful will actually raise their own food to just enough to feed their family.

My granny had 5 kids, one husband that was disabled, and lived on one income. They had a chicken pen where they raised their own eggs and chickens to eat. They had a garden for their vegetables. They had their own smoke house to smoke their own hogs. They raised hay to sell to other farmers. They had well water. Their house was only 3 bedrooms with an outhouse. Mom had to wear potato sack dresses that my granny made for her from actual potato sacks. The oldest child got one pair of shoes every year and the same pair would be handed down to each child until they were falling apart. Coke was a treat reserved solely for birthdays and even then it was conserved for the next child's birthday. They drank either fresh milk or water. For them, I believe poverty would have been a step up. Each child had chores to do to keep everything running while my Granny would often work double shifts at the factory. Mom was cooking dinner for her dad and her siblings by the time she was 11. Not many 13 year olds would even consider cooking dinner for themselves, let alone for their entire family.

Looking at old photos, not one child was ever malnourished, but none of the children were ever fat or obese. They were within normal ranges. I think my Granny did a fine job of raising 5 children on one income without the help of the Government.

Because there are fewer people in rural American than urban areas.

Actually it could be several factors:
1. Not enough adequate facilities such as bike paths, parks, etc for people with slight mobility problems to exercise. If the terrain is too challenging, then they don't exercise.
2. Many farmers now have quads and mules to get around on their farms rather than walking or riding horseback.
3. More older retired people move to rural areas to escape the smog and moved out to rural areas where the air is cleaner, this is true for asthmatics, COPD/CHF'ers and those with chronic emphysema. Sometimes they wait until it is too late and they are already on oxygen before they decide to move to a rural area.
4. In many rural areas, the produce is grown there but exported to larger cities instead of sold locally, thus only a handful of farmers will have enough produce to spare to share with their family and friends, OR only a small handful will actually raise their own food to just enough to feed their family.

My granny had 5 kids, one husband that was disabled, and lived on one income. They had a chicken pen where they raised their own eggs and chickens to eat. They had a garden for their vegetables. They had their own smoke house to smoke their own hogs. They raised hay to sell to other farmers. They had well water. Their house was only 3 bedrooms with an outhouse. Mom had to wear potato sack dresses that my granny made for her from actual potato sacks. The oldest child got one pair of shoes every year and the same pair would be handed down to each child until they were falling apart. Coke was a treat reserved solely for birthdays and even then it was conserved for the next child's birthday. They drank either fresh milk or water. For them, I believe poverty would have been a step up. Each child had chores to do to keep everything running while my Granny would often work double shifts at the factory. Mom was cooking dinner for her dad and her siblings by the time she was 11. Not many 13 year olds would even consider cooking dinner for themselves, let alone for their entire family.

Looking at old photos, not one child was ever malnourished, but none of the children were ever fat or obese. They were within normal ranges. I think my Granny did a fine job of raising 5 children on one income without the help of the Government.
While I think it's great that your grandmother did all that and the children turned out healthy, I wonder what the city folks can do?

You shouldn't be able to buy steaks on food stamps, but you can.

Instead of buying pre-breaded frozen chicken strips, why not buy a whole fryer? Debone it yourself, marinade it, roll it in flour and fry in generic brand oil that contains no trans-fats.

When I moved into my apt, I had to teach myself how to cook because my mother refused to teach me because she didn't think I could learn how to cook well. I think i've done a decent job of teaching myself how to cook.

I had to teach myself how to debone chickens; my mother grew up on a farm but she never learned how to debone chickens.
I have one in my family that is notoriously playing the government. She refuses to get a full-time job, has three children all of them by different fathers, receives $500/month in FoodStamps, receives WIC, lives in a government funded apartment (the rent is only $140/month for her and she complains it is too high) and has sold her FoodStamps for cash money to go get a manicure and pedicure. People like her who are playing the system chap my ass as I am working 2 jobs, going to school part-time, raising a child, and yet I cannot move out on my own because just to move from here to an apartment in town would cost me $2,000.

Too bad there always will be people who abuse the system.

Yeah, my great family did that as well but it's because they ACTUALLY had to do labor to get results. Nowadays, it's just machines doing all the work for them.

deafskeptic brought a good question - what about city people back then? Were they fatter on average than rural people at that time?

I dunno.

Yeah, my great family did that as well but it's because they ACTUALLY had to do labor to get results. Nowadays, it's just machines doing all the work for them.

deafskeptic brought a good question - what about city people back then? Were they fatter on average than rural people at that time?

I dunno.

The city people back then in early 1900's walked a lot and rode trains most of the time. Most of them don't have a car.

...LEAVE THE GOVERNEMNT OUT OF THIS...THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO PROTECT THE BOARDERS AND WHAT A JOB THEY ARE DOING!
Yeah, those rooming house landlords can be harsh, and government intervention may be required.

(Posted with a straight face.)

Look, it costs only a buck to buy coke. So please stop telling taxpayers that we shouldn't pay for your cokes. We want you healthy, not make you fat.

Yeah, if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck, just eat it. ;)

If it looks like a duck, looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, just shoot it...

...then you eat it.:giggle:

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck then deep fry it and serve it up with an order of fries. :giggle:

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck then deep fry it and serve it up with an order of fries. :giggle:

I see something that looks like a coke, walks like a coke, and sounds like a coke. Must have been something in the duck. :lol:

I dunno.

If I am not mistaken in bigger cities there would have been a few soup kitchens run by churches. (I know the Catholic church was into this).

Coke will also remove the hard water ring from your potty.

We even had recipes for coke roast, sprite ham, etc. In our community everything was a coke. Even Nugrape, RC or Nehi. It just meant soda pop. It is bad for you. Sure does taste good. It is a shame that some things that are bad for us can often taste so good.

Hm. I remember that in the very old days we did not have food stamps there. My relatives managed a can of tuna. There were 5 kids and two adults. The garden was there and that was a grace. So dinner was one can of tuna with a whole lot of mayo, the home made pickles in it. A few vegetables that were left from the garden. Drink was water with the few spoons of grape jelly in it shaken well as a sort of flavored drink to make the dinner festive.

I think that was what coke did, make the mundane a bit festive.

There was so much that was bleak. The oppressive heat with no ac, the bone chilling cold with a coal burning stove and drafty windows. No food variety, very little choice, no days off work if you had work at all. Mind you the economy was the talc mine or textile mills or chicken plants. It was grueling. There had been a nice tourist trade before the highway was moved, so many were truly struggling.

It was considered a real nice thing to be able to have snacks at all. A coke was only 15 cents. You could walk along the roads and pick up coke bottles for the deposit, take them to the Piggly Wiggly for your money and get a cola.

I dont think things are so much different for the poor these days. It feels like a celebration to have chips, a soda, or such as this. I think thats why when poor folks get money they seem to buy something frivolous. We got a tv. WOW. That was November 22, 1963. (Guess what the first thing I saw on tv was)???

As for school lunch, it was great. It was more good food than we had all week. It was Southern 3/1. Three sides and one protein. I never saw broccoli or asparagus till I was in my 20's. No pizza till I was 10. It was gross! Someone drove miles away to get it from another town after money was pooled. My, how things change!

My reminiscing and rambling is saying that -

Poor folks have always been a fact of life.
It is hard to say what others should do. (Hearing telling Deaf? If you havent been deaf...)
Education is key to ending poverty and ignorance.
Everyone wants something nice that is achievable.
There is always someone who feels superior and feels they know what is best for you.
If you involve government it just gets worse.

Coke will also remove the hard water ring from your potty.

We even had recipes for coke roast, sprite ham, etc. In our community everything was a coke. Even Nugrape, RC or Nehi. It just meant soda pop. It is bad for you. Sure does taste good. It is a shame that some things that are bad for us can often taste so good.

Hm. I remember that in the very old days we did not have food stamps there. My relatives managed a can of tuna. There were 5 kids and two adults. The garden was there and that was a grace. So dinner was one can of tuna with a whole lot of mayo, the home made pickles in it. A few vegetables that were left from the garden. Drink was water with the few spoons of grape jelly in it shaken well as a sort of flavored drink to make the dinner festive.

I think that was what coke did, make the mundane a bit festive.

There was so much that was bleak. The oppressive heat with no ac, the bone chilling cold with a coal burning stove and drafty windows. No food variety, very little choice, no days off work if you had work at all. Mind you the economy was the talc mine or textile mills or chicken plants. It was grueling. There had been a nice tourist trade before the highway was moved, so many were truly struggling.

It was considered a real nice thing to be able to have snacks at all. A coke was only 15 cents. You could walk along the roads and pick up coke bottles for the deposit, take them to the Piggly Wiggly for your money and get a cola.

I dont think things are so much different for the poor these days. It feels like a celebration to have chips, a soda, or such as this. I think thats why when poor folks get money they seem to buy something frivolous. We got a tv. WOW. That was November 22, 1963. (Guess what the first thing I saw on tv was)???

As for school lunch, it was great. It was more good food than we had all week. It was Southern 3/1. Three sides and one protein. I never saw broccoli or asparagus till I was in my 20's. No pizza till I was 10. It was gross! Someone drove miles away to get it from another town after money was pooled. My, how things change!

My reminiscing and rambling is saying that -

Poor folks have always been a fact of life.
It is hard to say what others should do. (Hearing telling Deaf? If you havent been deaf...)
Education is key to ending poverty and ignorance.
Everyone wants something nice that is achievable.
There is always someone who feels superior and feels they know what is best for you.
If you involve government it just gets worse.

:gpost:

I draw the line at telling people what you can eat and not eat with food stamps though I can see why some may not like the idea of buying steak with food stamps.

I would think that those on food stamps would want to buy steak for their b-day and eat chicken or fish for the rest of the year. I have no doubt some would abuse it though.

I hate the idea of having the government telling you what to eat though I have no objection to teaching the poor how to eat properly and making it easier to get healthy food to them. Telling them what to eat is decidedly authoritarian.

Good post....the first thing you saw on tv? Howdy Doody or I Love Lucy? Close?

No. I underlined the date for a reason. (hint - hint) Good guesses though!

I agree that telling others what to do smacks of authoritarianism if not dictatorialism.

Education is always the key. Appalachia was tough, but education has made things so much better. Provided better jobs and opportunities, better foods and food choices and the ability to manage what you do have.

Our family can buy one cheap (relative) steak and make it go for many meals. One round steak at 1.99 per pound on sale can be slivered into stir fries, chunked for stews, bits for soups and pounded thin for a sort of roulade. We usually (for two of us) divide it into 4 small parts and freeze it for use as needed. I have seen abuse too though.

Back