NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys

foodstamp don't cover hot meal.
You are right. It doesnt. My point is, if they are enacting an anti-obesety law that should include Mcdonalds and the like. IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing sugary drinks from the food stamps program will not help. They will find other way. The best way is to have government to order food industry to change their habits with the crap they put in the foods and have FDA keep a close eye with them.

Another thing to add, organic and healthy food is generally too expensive for poor people to able to afford which is why they go for cheap, unhealthy and processed foods to survive. That is why lot of poor people are obese while many rich people are thinner because they can afford it while we can't.

But poor people can simply eat less and learn to make a meal stretch over more than just one day. Just because your poor doesn't mean you have to be obese but it also doesn't mean you have to go hungry too.

Instead of sodas they can drink from the tap, instead of a bunch of high starch boxed meals they can buy the ingredients and spend the rest on fruits and vegetables. When they cook a meal that is obviously more than what they will eat, put it back and eat on it for 2-3 days instead of throwing it out or feeding it to the animals. (Which also says if you can't afford to feed yourself, you probably can't feed an animal.)

A person only needs about 2,000 calories day to have healthy diet. The USDA food stamp program is based off of this figure as recommended by health professionals for years. Most boxed meals will have 1,000 or more per serving. The average sub sandwich has roughly 1,200.

Why not ban bottled water as well? They could certainly get this cheaper from a tap, and there is zero nutrition.

Maybe we can have a short list of foods that can be purchased, nothing else. And make is something a lot of people dislike: lentils, lima beans, kidney beans, etc. I am being sarcastic here.

The real issue people have is seeing someone get something for free. A lot of tax payers are not happy to see someone using food programs. There will never be a perfect solution.

Imagine someday you are down on your luck. You shuffle into the Welfare office. You get your card/stamps. You remember how you felt when you saw others using them. Now it is you. Would you want to deal with not only the looks of disgust, but also a list of items to choose from? I bet there are many people that would be in favor of just that.

Meh. The only thing that ought to be banned are flying cannonballs.

I do have friends that are on food stamps. As for myself, even with 3 boys, I do not qualify, no matter that they eat twice as much when they are in their teens!

And those that are on food stamps, but get no Cash....cannot buy any "paper products" such as toilet paper, tampons, towel paper, napkins, etc. Cannot buy shampoo, soap, washing powder, bleach, etc. And that is a necessity! I'd like to see people that are eligible for food stamps, be eligible to buy some of these products as well.

But, yeah, I do have a problem seeing people going to the store or fast food places, buying soda pops, candy, potato chips, etc., with food stamps. What they spend at the fast food places, more than likely would cover 2-3 days of home cooked meals....We "seldom" go out to eat, at a fast food place for 4 people would be up to $30 dollars.....Unless we stick to the $1 meal menu, and we do that a lot!

The cafeteria at my work now limit one taco per child when before they could get two tacos due to the obesity problem. Poor kids were complaining that they were hungry but we told them to eat their side of fruits and veggies if they were so hungry! I cant blame them cuz I love tacos and would eat 5 or 6 a setting if I could get away with it. :lol:

The cafeteria at my work now limit one taco per child when before they could get two tacos due to the obesity problem. Poor kids were complaining that they were hungry but we told them to eat their side of fruits and veggies if they were so hungry! I cant blame them cuz I love tacos and would eat 5 or 6 a setting if I could get away with it. :lol:

I saw a commercial (I forget by which company) that advertised "two tacos as an addition to your meal." Eh? I remember when two tacos WAS a meal! :shock:

My boys eat breakfast and lunch at school (both in high school)....still they come home "starving"....and can't hardly wait for dinner.....so I don't feel they get very much food at school. They play all sports, and go to the gym 3 times a week also. Always outside doing something sports related. So they are not fat at all!....I think most kids just come home, snack, eat dinner, and watch TV or play video games....

I saw a commercial (I forget by which company) that advertised "two tacos as an addition to your meal." Eh? I remember when two tacos WAS a meal! :shock:

Says something about our obesity problem, doesn't it? :P

My boys eat breakfast and lunch at school (both in high school)....still they come home "starving"....and can't hardly wait for dinner.....so I don't feel they get very much food at school. They play all sports, and go to the gym 3 times a week also. Always outside doing something sports related. So they are not fat at all!....I think most kids just come home, snack, eat dinner, and watch TV or play video games....

Same with our students...they burn up so many calories from recess and gym and eat a meal with a size of a fist for lunch. I think they could add one more side instead of one tiny taco, small fruit bowl, and tomatoes/lettuce.

Now, that is TOO much!

ever notice the big stores like walmart on the first week of the month? that is when the food stamp cards are loaded up with cash and you can see the stampede . i am always surprised at how the food stamp users waste their food money on junk food instead of using it on something real like steaks . i have nothing against this kind of program that gives the essentials to people who need it. but it is abuse of the program and we end up paying for their health issues due to bad eating habits. restricting foods for what the food stamp users can pick does not take away food, just limits choices to what wil not put them in the taxpayers doctors office

Well, wouldn't it be ideal if they were to lower the property taxes among the local farmers? If they do this, they may be able to provide fruits and vegetables at a better price for the poor. Also, they need to make changes on how much should be imported and exported in these places.

Most farm/rural communities have very low property tax, especially in southern states.

In Alabama, K-12 students are not allowed to have carbonated beverages, including sugary and diet soda during lunch, otherwise school district would lose the state funding if not followed.

I think that is a great idea! All that sugar can made some kids too hyper and they'll not be able to sit still all day. I did give my child any sodas or junk food . It was a waste of money .

Well, wouldn't it be ideal if they were to lower the property taxes among the local farmers? If they do this, they may be able to provide fruits and vegetables at a better price for the poor. Also, they need to make changes on how much should be imported and exported in these places.

Famers do have lower property taxes in my state and I had friend in OK and he only paid $50 a year on his property that was 2 acres or more of land.

Maybe better to educate people regarding nutrition than to ban sales of some foods, snacks or treats. Growing up in the deep south, we ate lots of starch because it was easy to grow and cheap to buy. Healthy? No. As our area was industrialized we got more money. Did we get better food - yes. Also more "co-cola". Many families still chose to eat starchy foods and chug cokes. It was what we were used to. Beans and fried potatoes and corn, fried squash and coke.
What I am trying to convey is that education is better than bans.
Poor people want what others have. Even in the depression people would still buy a coke. Poor often means uneducated or poorly educated. There are also choices, if you grew up eating a certain sort of food, you still want it, but a soda makes it even better.
Oddly, before colas were common every day drinks rather than a treat, we made do with Southern sweet tea. It tastes like tea syrup. The really poor kids had koolaid. They really wanted cokes. When they got money, they bought them.
Besides, they should have it if they want it. Big whoop. The Prohibition did not work either. Saying no is often a red flag to want it more.
Eh, jmo.

Souggy - I agree that healthy, unadulterated food should be affordable to everyone.

Schools should educate about nutrition by both book and preparation, like the old home ec. days. That way kids would learn what to do with the good foods once they have them and to better manage monies.

I only had drank coke about 1 time my whole life, I and a rum and coke once and that was the only time I drank the junk. MY dad use to tell us you could use coke to remove the rust from a car think what it can do to your teeth!
This was enough to keep me from drinking the junk! We had orange soda once a year growning up.

Wirelessly posted

Since when tofu is healthier than a potato?

It really shouldn't be a surprise to you tofu can be junk food-- Chinese have been doing unhealthy things with tofu for centuries.

Last edited:
Back