Not common Big Earthquake Hit Haiti

I would have to agree with Jiro. not sure how the buildings will handle hitting eachother in a quake..

some new recently-built skyscrapers may withstand the earthquake better but there are way too many old buildings that won't even handle 3.0-4.0 and it'll be like domino effect.

we have far too many aging infrastructure that were not effectively fixed... they were more like "patched" up for a certain period of time.

I plan on donating habitat. Evidently, they do help people rebuild. They helped new orlean. And they build homes base on the culture and environment as well. I was watching "This old house" on New Orlean and they interviewed people from habitat and I felt they did a great job keeping the culture when building homes.

And maybe Samarian purse or salvation army.

if I recall correctly - the trailers were making people sick due to formaldehyde inside.
Leave open the windows and doors.

Anyway, they aren't going to get them, so the people are stuck without shelter. Very sad.

Leave open the windows and doors.

Anyway, they aren't going to get them, so the people are stuck without shelter. Very sad.

indeed..... but Haiti is a very hot country.. a tarp is pretty much good enough...... for now...........

but I pray that they get proper housing ASAP especially the sicks and injured.

I know you are from North NJ.

World Trade Center Towers - they always had little shake by stronger wind. No reason to have worry about collapse. (not count on terrorist attack).

Sometime, we visited in NYC. We took Bolt Bus or Megabus to NYC from our near hometown. Just shy 100 miles from my hometown. My son was college students at Rutgers. He oftens visit there. This monday, my son will come down to NYC from Vermont. My brother-in-law works in NYC, Miami, Bogota and LA, Calif. Last year, he quit one company (NYC) which had Madoff!!!!

I was in Bogota, Colombia for a month, suburb of Venice, Italy for 6 month and 3 months. Also, I lived in Seattle for 5 years. I was there that's time Mt St Helen erupted on May 18, 1980. It was big erupted made me woke up in morning.

On May 18th (Sunday), I did not know why I woke up too earlier than I expect 10 or 11am. It was little quake in Seattle from Mt St Helen's erupted. Not feel any thing. Went to visit my former girlfriend's place. I saw many dirty grey on cars/trucks at I-5 highway. Not know why some cars/trucks got dirty from off road or what. I did not know until 3pm. My friend's mom called (TTY) me, "how is weather in Seattle?" I said blue sky. They told me please look at TV. I saw TV's special report then I shocked!!!

My in-law's friend was architect & design earthquake proof. I met him at Rome, Italy. He showed me some of blue prints, pictures and explain me about tech about Earthquake-Resistant Design (high-rise buildings). He does not speak well in English. Just very little knownedge in english. He did design taller building in Bogota, Rome and Naples. He lives two different condo at Rome and Naples. Where we stay with in-law's friend's place.

you didn't really answer my simple question......... it only needed a yes or no.

1. modern skyscrapers are designed to handle a very strong winds so it's not uncommon for a very tall skyscraper to move at least a foot or 2. You won't feel a damn thing but people with sensitive motion sickness will.

2. just because they're designed to handle strong winds doesn't mean they're designed to handle earthquake. Earthquake SHAKES the ground, not blow the wind at building..... Ground Shaking is not the same as Wind Blowing

3. Pretty much over 80% of NYC are not skyscrapers like WTC or Empire State Building.... they're all aging buildings made out of concrete/bricks.

4. while modern skyscrapers may withstand small earthquakes, they have TONS of heavy window that will break and fall onto people on ground. Look at Times Square. That's.... a lot of glasses.

5. Since you've lived in Venice, then you would know that it will not withstand earthquake. Oh - I've been there. it's a very lovely quaint city.

indeed..... but Haiti is a very hot country.. a tarp is pretty much good enough...... for now...........

but I pray that they get proper housing ASAP especially the sicks and injured.

except most people want privacy and protection especially from rape.

except most people want privacy and protection especially from rape.

:cold: There's a talk about gang/war lords may take advantage of this situation.... horrible!

US Military and other countries are still flying in to provide security.

One more question. Have you ever been in Cayman Island?

Few times, I have been in Cayman Island. I seem that many building is similar to Haiti. It is not like NYC or my in-law's house in Colombia or my wife's condo in Venice, Italy.

In NYC, Almost all old/new skyscapes do have Iron I-Beams. That's why I doubt that won't kill 15 million people by earthquake unless giant tsunami (300 feet high wave).

No I've never been to Cayman Island and Cayman Island has nothing to do with what we're discussing about. Beside - see PFH's post #74 and 75. I think that I can make a better possible damage assessment a little better than you since I've been going to NYC for pretty much my entire life - over 25 years.

Like I said - we've had several cases of building collapses for the past few years. Reason? aging infrastructure. Now think about 80% of NYC that are aging too that will collapse like those cases..... and plus - quite a handful of our buildings are built right on the edge of NYC (piers). Our piers and NYC land are man-made. It will or will not break away like a landslide. You never know. The safest place to be in NYC during earthquake is to be on USS Intrepid or Central Park. oh - I doubt our Statue of Liberty can withstand the quake either unless they have done some upgrade (which I doubt).

curious - have you ever lived in NYC for some time?

you didn't really answer my simple question......... it only needed a yes or no.

We do not live in NYC.
Sometime, we stay few different place like that hotels, relative's house and friend's house at NY Metro (Long Island, Newark and near Central Park).

Tight airspace, poor communications hinder aid effort
Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Limited runway space and battered telecommunications networks are hindering efforts to get food, water and medical aid into the hands of desperate Haitians amid the devastation of last week's earthquake, relief agencies said Monday.

Doctors Without Borders reported that flights carrying critical medical equipment were being diverted to the neighboring Dominican Republic. Oxfam warned that fuel shortages could be on the horizon. And a volunteer at a hospital in northern Haiti said he has large numbers of open beds, but no way to get patients there from Port-au-Prince.

"My surgeons are sitting around looking at each other, wondering why they came," Tim Traynor told CNN.

While visiting the injured at a U.N. clinic in Port-au-Prince, Haitian President Rene Preval said his ravaged population -- already the Western Hemisphere's poorest -- needs medicine, food and long-term reconstruction assistance.

"The more we receive help, the more we can take care of them," he said.

Louis Belanger, a spokesman for Oxfam in Port-au-Prince, said many roads have been cleared of debris since the magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday. That has allowed trucks to deliver aid to parts of the capital and its suburbs that had been cut off by collapsed buildings.

But with thousands of tons of aid heading into Haiti, the airport in Port-au-Prince "can't handle all the aid that's coming through," Belanger said.

The U.S. military has been helping Haitian authorities direct air traffic around Port-au-Prince, said Capt. John Kirby, a spokesman for the U.S. Joint Task Force Haiti. But he said "literally hundreds" of flights are trying to land at Port-au-Prince, which has "one tarmac, one runway, one ramp for all the aircraft."

"It is a sheer volume issue," he said. "There are more planes that want to land here than we can accommodate in any given hour."

Bypassing the airport, the U.S. Air Force began dropping supplies by parachute into Haiti on Monday. A C-17 transport flying from North Carolina dropped more than 55,000 pounds of supplies, including 6,900 bottles of water and more than 42,000 packets of combat rations, about five miles northeast of Port-au-Prince.

In addition, Belanger said, the damage to phone lines and wireless networks has made it difficult for aid agencies to communicate with each other and with the United Nations, which is in charge of coordinating relief efforts.

Full coverage of the quake

"What we want to do is coordinate that aid so that we don't just truck in a lorry full of bottled water in a crowded area without any planning beforehand," he said. Haiti's damaged phone network "really posed a huge challenge, and it still does."

In an interview on CNN's "Amanpour" program Monday afternoon, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said effectively orchestrating the flow of millions of dollars of aid into the earthquake-ravaged Caribbean nation is "a great challenge at this time." But he said U.N. officials have requested transport helicopters from the U.S. government and other assistance from the European Union, and is trying to improve port facilities to get more aid ashore.

"I know that there is a frustration amongst Haitian people, but when I met them, from their faces, I have seen that they have great hope and they are great, resilient people," said Ban, who visited Haiti over the weekend. "And I told them ... to be more patient, because (the) whole world (is) standing behind them."

iReport: Quake victims | Looking for loved ones

The next issue relief workers may have to tackle is fuel, needed to run not only vehicles but also generators that are now powering critical equipment, Belanger said.

"The fuel issue cannot become the problem," he said. "It needs to be tackled, and it needs to be tackled soon."

Benoit Leduc, head of operations in Haiti for Doctors Without Borders, said five of the group's supply planes have been diverted to the neighboring Dominican Republic rather than being allowed to land in Port-au-Prince. He told reporters Monday that coordination is "not existing, or not efficient at this stage."

"It's an issue," Leduc said. "I don't really know who is in charge."

iReport: Share your story

Leduc said the diversion of flights to the Dominican Republic has set back plans to erect a portable field hospital by 48 hours -- a critical time when many of injured survivors of the earthquake are now suffering from life-threatening infections.

Meanwhile, in the northern town of Milot, medical volunteer Traynor said the Sacre Coeur Hospital has more than 200 beds and a nearby soccer field where helicopters can land but few patients. He said the U.S. Coast Guard has flown some injured people up from Port-au-Prince, "one or two or three or four people at a time."

"We are within 30 minutes by air. We could take 200 to 300 people. We can do amputations. We have a fully operational trauma center, and no patients," he said.

Impact Your World

Carol Fipp, another volunteer at Sacre Coeur, said eight patients have made it to Milot from Port-au-Prince on their own, taking about seven hours to complete the 75-mile drive. The hospital had fewer than 30 patients Monday afternoon.

"Shout it from the mountaintops: We need helicopters," she said.

Tech camp yields programs for Haiti
(CNN) -- A weekend meeting of technology pros looking to help victims of the Haiti earthquake yielded some ready-to-roll projects and a few more nearing completion.

Perhaps more important, participants say, the gathering produced a framework that could keep aiding disaster-relief efforts in the months and years to come.

CrisisCamp Haiti brought together developers, programmers and other volunteers for meetings in Washington, Los Angeles, California, and other cities.

Results included a digital map to help relief groups in Haiti coordinate their efforts and applications for the iPhone and other smartphones, including a Creole-to-English dictionary.

"There was virtually no moving around," said Noel Dickover, a CrisisCamp co-founder and one of more than 200 people who attended the session in Washington. "Everyone was sitting there working and really getting stuff done for the entire time."

Dickover said an open-source, interactive map that the group worked on already is being used by relief organizations working in Haiti to help coordinate their efforts.

A Craigslist-style Web site that would allow groups in Haiti to exchange supplies and other assistance is almost ready, he said. Apps for the iPhone and Android smartphone system also are on their way.

One application would allow real-time communication in Haiti, where the telecommunications network was ravaged by the earthquake. That app, and the Creole translation app, must win approval from Apple and Google before they will be available to smartphone users.

Participants called the Saturday sessions hectic, but rewarding.

"It really did feel like we were actually being able to help out, even though we were so far away -- just using our skills and what we do normally to bring this information together for people," said Brendan Lim, who works for Intridea, a Washington-based Web development and consulting firm.

"It was really gratifying and it feels good to keep working on those things and, hopefully, make something useful."

Several of the sites that hosted camps on Saturday already are planning follow-ups, while other events are being organized in other cities.

The work is not just to make the participants feel good, they say.

Earthquake rocks Haiti

Volunteers included representatives from government agencies, including the State Department, and such tech companies as Google. The search-engine giant is looking to incorporate some of the group's work into its own mapping system, which has been used heavily in Haiti, Dickover said.

Organizers also are inviting people who can't attend any of the planned get-togethers to pitch in from where they are. Several of the projects are open-source, allowing remote users to improve coding and other aspects of the projects.

They've set up a wiki page and a Twitter account so people can stay up to date on their progress or volunteer to pitch in.

They're also stressing that while advanced technical skills are nice, they're not necessary.

"Probably about 30 percent of the folks who came to the camp in D.C. were coders, but there were 30-35 people who had never done any kind of mapping before," Dickover said. "We had folks just entering data ... . There's a lot of stuff somebody can do who's just Internet savvy."

They're hoping that their volunteer work, which came together with virtually no pre-arranged framework or schedule, will have an impact throughout the response to Haiti's disaster and beyond.

"The hope is that it saves lives," Dickover said. "This is really a test case. We're just testing the idea out, but imagine three years down the road when we've done this three or four times."

really really awesome that they're doing the best they can with best of their abilities to compile and program the website and software to make it easier for survivors, families, and government to keep track of everything.

Back