New iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know about Linux and server from newegg but desktop/laptop? Yes, I am agreed with you about newegg.com have a lot linux on server like NAS, etc.

Linux is very rare for laptop/desktop for now.

I have a theory why, just a guess. It's because of money to be earned. Can't earn pocket change with linux redistributable. :(

OEM windows copies on the PC/laptop, cheap for MS to distribute, distributor to re-distribute with extra price tag. Talk 100,000's of computers with OEM win O/s installed on it, $20-30 bucks a pop, extra $300,000 to split between dividends.

Notice on laptop resell (like notebookreview.com) they wipe OS and sell for $100+ cheaper even if barely used?

This is just my guess why they stopped distributing linux as O/S option. They probably figured if the buyer wants linux, he/she will just wipe it and install.

I have a theory why, just a guess. It's because of money to be earned. Can't earn pocket change with linux redistributable. :(

OEM windows copies on the PC/laptop, cheap for MS to distribute, distributor to re-distribute with extra price tag. Talk 100,000's of computers with OEM win O/s installed on it, $20-30 bucks a pop, extra $300,000 to split between dividends.

Notice on laptop resell (like notebookreview.com) they wipe OS and sell for $100+ cheaper even if barely used?

This is just my guess why they stopped distributing linux as O/S option. They probably figured if the buyer wants linux, he/she will just wipe it and install.

there was an article on it. It's because of Microsoft muscling PC sellers into selling computers with Windows only and nothing else otherwise Microsoft will not give them a bulk license discount.

Sellers depend on selling computers as cheap as possible. $20 (bulk license discounted) and $160+ (full price).... that's a rather significant cost factor for many home buyers.

My motorcycle has "car" charger :rockon:

It's calls "motorcycle charger" :D But you got point.

2 days? :eek3: but.... business means... they talk on phone a lot. The battery usually lasts about 2-3 hours if on phone. but for us deafies... we use txt so yea the battery lasts longer. 2 days sounds reasonable.

Yes, I mean two days for Deaf user. This is forum for Deaf so I don't think about hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox
first iphone then computers then motorcycle?

I was thinking the same when I noticed - nothing related to iPhone 4...

hey jclarke, you are right... see chevy57 bored and just sleep icon

the way I see it -

Blackberry is for business-oriented people for communication purpose (email, BBM, etc.).
iPhone is for computer-illiterate people who simply like fancy graphic interface.
Android is for techie people who want to do SSH/VPN/etc. no bs.

Thank you, Jiro for emphasizing on that, but Android is now becoming business minded as they already included Exchange connection as well as VPN for business so they can keep in touch with their companies from the luxury of their homes.

But you were spot on on most of the stuff, Jiro!

Highlander, I wasn't talking about the Atom, I was talking about i3/i5 laptops that runs on battery that last for 10 hours or longer... If I did talked about the Atom processor, I would have talked about the netbooks/slimlines only but did I? Nope! I talked about the laptops and more.

Yes, some laptops with discrete graphics have a set amount of memory they can use with VRAM and it is not set to 256 MB or less. I've worked on some laptops from HP/Gateway/Acer and on with discrete graphics that can use up to 1.5 GB of memory! 256 MB for 330 GT video card?! YEAH RIGHT! 330 requires DDR3 or DDR5 with at least 768 MB or higher memory space... If you don't believe me, look in the BIOS of some of these laptops and it will ask you how to allocate memory in what range of 512 to 1536 MB, that is if these laptops are already using discrete graphics.

I don't mainly use Linux to diagnose Windows issues other than software issues. If it has to be hardware issue, sometimes I use Linux to test it out i.e. trackpad issues, opening of some documents and such but to test the hard drive or memory, I use an elaborate method of diagnostic tools such as manufacturer tools to test these in mind.

Your preference over mine for WASD and mouse. I love using the controller for FPS and I find it easy to use than the WASD hence the reason why I stick to console systems than the PC to play games on. I also grew up on Nintendo Entertainment system, Genesis, Jaguar 64, Super Nintendo, 3D0 (look it up if you don't know what a Panasonic 3D0 is), Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Wii and many mobile gaming systems including Game Boy, Game Gear, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS and more. I'm used to using the standard controller set up. I never had a XBox and don't think I ever will own one because the controller sucks big time and there are not many games out there that fits my preference. You like playing PC games because of the WASD set up and the integration of the mouse utilization, that's your preference. You can't force me to conform to the WASD method because I find it stupid and uncomfortable.

Like Jiro pointed out, any PC enthusiasts will NOT buy a pre-custom made computer/laptop from a retail store that will carry Vista/7. Hell, you can build your own PC or if you want a laptop, you can go through the customization stages and pick the processor/memory/video card/display quality and yes, the OS, from Dell, HP, Sony and any other manufacturers. You can pick Linux if you want. If you want a pre-customized laptop, it's sure to have Windows included because the companies KNOW that when people come in a retail store, they EXPECT to see Windows installed on a laptop/PC/netbook. If there were some laptops/netbooks with Linux pre-installed, it is almost guaranteed the customers would go like, "WHAT THE HELL IS LINUX? WHY ISN'T IT USING WINDOWS!? I WANT WINDOWS!" Microsoft ruined it for Linux but Linux kind of ruined it for themselves because it's better off for people who are eager to delve into Linux and it's amazing powers that can control many things. Its a shame that people are not realizing that Linux is powerful over Windows and Macs.

Macs is suitable for people who are dumb and do not understand computing terminology and for graphic designers that raves about the dpi and all.

Again, with iPhone 4, it may last like 10 hours... That's fine, my G1 can last 10 hours too, so what's the difference? Oh yeah my phone's almost 2 years old and the iPhone 4 is almost a week old... I've heard the Evo 4g can last 62 hours even after heavy usage on the phone... So I don't really see a huge factor in how the iPhone 4 beat Android on battery life so it's futile and fruitless (lol)

Naisho, your comparsion between embedded OSes and cars is probably right, but Android is prepping itself to be mainstreamed in many aspects of everything i.e. business, personal, traveling, gaming and more. 3.0 is coming soon and it is expected that Google will make a revolutionary change to Android and we will see many new stuff that comes with Android 3.0 so that's why I am laughing at the iPhone iOS 4.0 because it is basically the iPhone 3GS with some additional stuff... No big changes... to me, that is lame... I would say Android has gone from a Ford Fiesta (old one) to a Lexus/Porsche/Corvette/Mustang/Camaro then eventually a Lambourghini but a cheap one! Why cheap? Android is FREE! Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Android OS will not probably be like the Lambourghini in gas mileage because it is poised to be able to last longer (more than 10 hours) when in usage while the Lambourghini will run out of gas when driving for more than a hour. Android will only be comparable to the Lambourghini in sense of power and execution. :D

Android is growing while iPhone only grows once a year... Android will eventually updates itself per year soon but I would honestly go with Android because of its ability to execute things better and keep things maintained for the better. I already have a friend that told me they gave up on iPhone 4 and wants an Android phone. They miss the raw power of Android's offering and want to get a superphone that will satisfy their needs. Their needs has not been quenched with the iPhone 4. So there you have it, a person not satisfied with iPhone 4 only because it's so similar to iPhone 3 OS and they were like,"What the hell? What's so new to this? Nothing! " Android will continue to grow and become globally wide known and will be used in more and more phones. A lot of people already loaded Android on their PS3, HD2 (with Windows already installed and uninstalled to install Android 2.1), dual booting windows and Android on the Touch Pro 2 and many more.... I've even seen someone install Android or a Linux variant on a Sidekick II... Android is very scalable and efficient at doing what it does best... iOS 4 on what? the iPad and iPhone 4 as well as iPhone 3GS and yeah... the iPhone 3... One friend told me they're very upset that they upgraded to iOS 4 on their iPhone 3 and it slowed their phone BIG time and they wished they didn't upgrade it... SO... HOW is the iOS 4.0 better at doing what it is supposed to do on older models before the iPhone 4...? tsk tsk...

Last edited:
:eek3: I see fanboys.

Yes I am one of them

Dismal Shadow runs away.

Last edited:
first iphone then computers then motorcycle?

I was thinking the same when I noticed - nothing related to iPhone 4...

They were related, but you had to read the conversation to see why.

It was when Highlander and Jiro were talking about battery life. So Jiro mentioned he doesn't need a phone that can go on for many hours because of chargers at both home and office, then also car chargers. Highlander said Jiro has a motorcycle not a car. So jiro posted pic of his.

Computers were related when discussing about the operating system preference in phones. Then it came to talking about which is the dominant O/S and why.

No offense anyone, people.. if you want to make an insult to others at least be sure you read it first before joking or commenting.

Also.. do some of you guys read this from your mobile phones?

Unnecessary quoting those long posts Pyroll makes my fingers hurt trying to read this thing.. :cool: I've stopped bothering to read this from my mobile, it is NOT mobile friendly. :lol:

Also.. do some of you guys read this from your mobile phones?

Unnecessary quoting those long posts Pyroll makes my fingers hurt trying to read this thing.. :cool: I've stopped bothering to read this from my mobile, it is NOT mobile friendly. :lol:

Yeah. Why not you take new thread? Thanks

iphone-4-screen-problems.jpg

Apple iPhone 4 problems crop up: screen discoloration, reception issues | VentureBeat
Yeah, Miss JOB said it was glue, and later now he said **you're holding it wrong!** I aint buy Steve's words..

hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong.jpg

Source

President Russian completely FAILED to follow Steve's cult instruction to how holding properly that way..
500xrussianiphone01thum.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back