New iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSN-Emoticon-sleeping-135.gif

lol

Ok do you know there are now laptops from Gateway, Acer, Dell and more that runs on batteries for 10 hours or more and running Windows 7?

The Intel Atom do not count because it's poor poor performance. Macbook Pro use Intel Core 2 Duo can do over 9 hours or so

There are some distributions that are tailor made for laptops and I service laptops a lot and I have Ubuntu installed on a 2 GB USB stick and I have loaded Ubuntu on many customer's laptops to do troubleshooting on and it is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and it RUNS A LOT faster than the pre-installed OS and Ubuntu is installed on a limited amount of space? One of the few complaints that I have with Ubuntu is the lack of drivers for wireless devices because I have a D-Link USB adapter and connectivity would drop every 10 mins or so. But with laptops, Ubuntu seems to have almost every drivers available as I have been using customers' laptops to connect to the Internet as part of the diagnostics process and have not experienced a drop in connectivity.

Linux is perfect for diagnostics and troubleshooting for Windows only. That's why I don't like to use Windows as laptop for travel. OSX is much better than Windows for less risk and less problem.

Your main concern is battery life and that's fine, but don't forget there are now laptops that runs for 10 hours or more with Windows installed now and if you swap out Windows and install Linux, it is very possible to squeeze out more life from that battery, possibly 14+ hours. You can have Dell ship you a laptop with Linux pre-installed. It is not widely available because a lot of customers are not technologically inclined and will not understand how Linux works, hence the choice of OS when you are ready to purchase one from Dell and many others. Asus, HP, Gateway to name a few.

Again, The Intel Atom do not court.

Of course not all computers are DESIGNED to play games. If you bought a laptop with onboard graphics like Intel, you will be out of luck if you wanted to play WoW because of a huge drop in FPS and lag. If you got an Alienware laptop with discrete graphics like nVidia 260 GTS or 330 GT with dedicated DDR3/DDR5 memory, you will be in gaming heaven. So, older laptops was mainly designed for gaming purposes?

Re-read my post again. Who said laptop as gamer?

I don't think so, it was intended to be for business and Internet usage. SO yeah you are better off not using an older laptop because it is limited. I'm fine with it because all I need to do is use the Internet, do some office work and such. As for my gaming preferences, I rather to stick to consoles than using my computer to play games, i.e. Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3 if I want to play games.

Real gamer use PC gamer over consoles. WASD and mouse still beat any consoles controller for FPS, no matter how hard you can do it.

I've been using computers since I was 5 years old and I'm 31 now. I've used Amiga, Leading Edge with Windows 3.1/DOS, Windows 95, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Apple II, OS X 9.5 or something like that up to 10.6, Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake, Slackware, UNIX, Knoppix, Gentoo and many more Linux distros.

Linux sucks on battery life for mobile devices? Then can you please explain to me how is it possible that it sucks if I use my G1, disconnected from the wall adapter at 11 a.m. at 100% and it goes down to 20% by 11 p.m. and I've been using texting, Internet, some apps to read news/articles/etc and played some games...? Does not make sense to me at all. Like I have said, and I still stress on it, it is probably the developer's fault for making a resource-intensive program that eat up battery life so if you find a program that is using up most of the battery life, uninstall it and notify the developer that they need to modify the program. There is an app in Android that allows you to take a glance at what element that is using most of the battery and you can see which one it is by looking at the bar graph and you can close it if possible and on.

Remember, The T-mobile G1 is only 528 MHz. HTC EVO is 1GHZ, I believe and most people complained that battery life is only 5 hours. iPhone 4 1 Ghz (not sure about underclock to) with multitask is over 10 hours or so.

slide_7916_105421_large.jpg

Steve Jobs' hand avoided to touch metal band of antenna for impress with Russia President Dmitry Medvedev.

well - if you think OSX and iOS4 are great..... it's because it's based on unix which is what Linux is based on. Linux is great for everything. It's just that many people do not know how to use it and many are computer-illiterate.

iOS4 design for battery life as it's default unlike Android and you just waste time to twist Android to get better battery life. It's not friendly for EVERYONE without computer skill.

actually - it's not that rare. Dell, HP, and Asus do offer it. Others didn't because they didn't want Microsoft to get mad at them... which means they won't get heavily-discounted price on Windows.

It's rare to me because I hard to see any laptops with Linux at any store like Best Buy, Fry's, CompUSA, etc..

and you can make GIMP to look like Photoshop and function like Photoshop.

yes. each stuff is for different stuff.

Yup, I agree with you about PC games are better than consoles. :)

I do own Xbox 360, just one gaming console that I have at home. I picked Xbox 360 over PS3 because of better game choice and got used with Xbox 360 controller.

iOS4 design for battery life as it's default unlike Android and you just waste time to twist Android to get better battery life.
I'm not talking about battery life. It's not that important to me. I have a simple solution for it - car battery charger. 2 wall battery chargers (@ work and home).

It's not friendly for EVERYONE without computer skill.
right. that's what I just said.

It's rare to me because I hard to see any laptops with Linux at any store like Best Buy, Fry's, CompUSA, etc..
lol!!! you think a computer guru/expert/enthusiast would buy computer from stores like Best Buy?

The entire time I had iPhone, I never thought, "Damn, it doesn't do multitasking." It does NOT make any sense to have multitasking windows - it's designed to have ONE program screen at a time so why should we burn more cycles if we're not going to see or use it?! That's why Apple now allow multitasking but with a rule that you cannot make the whole program continuously active, you have to create processes of the program that can run in the background and that's the best way to do it with a phone.

The entire time I had iPhone, I never thought, "Damn, it doesn't do multitasking." It does NOT make any sense to have multitasking windows - it's designed to have ONE program screen at a time so why should we burn more cycles if we're not going to see or use it?! That's why Apple now allow multitasking but with a rule that you cannot make the whole program continuously active, you have to create processes of the program that can run in the background and that's the best way to do it with a phone.

that was precisely the problem with Windows Mobile. what an epic fail phone!

Arguing about which OS/phone is best is still pointless, even if Apple has different approaches to "multitasking"...

Apple is like a Toyota Prius, VW Beetle or Jetta, or a Mini cooper-s. That's what it reminds me of.
HTC Androids are like Trucks, SUV's. Great for a lot of customization and personal use varying on person, but needs lots of energy.
Palm Treos were like Convertibles. A class of their own.
Blackberries are like the business Benz-S / Bmw 3-series. Businesspeople use it purely because they're doing business, nothing else.

Arguing which is the best is like trying to combine all of these car categories into one. There's nothing like that available, and I don't think there will be for some time because of capitalism reasons. Maybe the government has something like this, but they'll never release it to the public.

Only the chinese have been able to do something like this, but only with previous generation phones. They've been making the noname brands that can do lots of things for extremely cheap, but it's like buying some unknown brand from overseas. Not many people are going to like that.

I'm not talking about battery life. It's not that important to me. I have a simple solution for it - car battery charger. 2 wall battery chargers (@ work and home).

Let me guess, you use a car more than motorcycle? I thought you are motorcycle person. :confused: Not for everyone who own a car like take a bus, train, walk, etc. Some business that you can't use their outlet for charger. It is not friendly for business travel. The most businessmans lost their charger at hotel,meeting, etc.

No wonder BB's battery life is great like almost two days and perfect for business.

Recharger too much that cause battery become short-life or junk due cycle life.
right. that's what I just said.

lol!!! you think a computer guru/expert/enthusiast would buy computer from stores like Best Buy?

You missed my point. Linux is very rare for laptop/desktop from any stores unlike Windows/OSX.

You missed my point. Linux is very rare for laptop/desktop from any stores unlike Windows/OSX.

It's obvious why, you know it too.. Linux isn't for the dumb PC people who shop there. Most people shopping retail are clueless PC people except the slickdealers who get it cheap to do something with it.

Linux is almost on all of newegg's prebuilt nas/servers, same with some Dells.

It's obvious why, you know it too.. Linux isn't for the dumb PC people who shop there. Most people shopping retail are clueless PC people except the slickdealers who get it cheap to do something with it.

Linux is almost on all of newegg's prebuilt servers, same with some Dells.

Yes, I know about Linux and server from newegg but desktop/laptop? Yes, I am agreed with you about newegg.com have a lot linux on server like NAS, etc.

2i8koll.png

2s0dds5.png

Linux is very rare for laptop/desktop for now.

Let me guess, you use a car more than motorcycle? I thought you are motorcycle person.
My motorcycle has "car" charger :rockon:

Not for everyone who own a car like take a bus, train, walk, etc. Some business that you can't use their outlet for charger. It is not friendly for business travel. The most businessmans lost their charger at hotel,meeting, etc.
that's what wall charger is for. They always carry it with them.

No wonder BB's battery life is great like almost two days and perfect for business.
2 days? :eek3: but.... business means... they talk on phone a lot. The battery usually lasts about 2-3 hours if on phone. but for us deafies... we use txt so yea the battery lasts longer. 2 days sounds reasonable.

Recharger too much that cause battery become short-life or junk due cycle life.
true but... who cares? buy another battery.

"car charger" on my motorcycle. My GPS used to be connected to it but I needed the charger for something else so I hardwired the GPS power cord to my battery.

2945u8w.jpg

My motorcycle has "car" charger :rockon:

that's what wall charger is for. They always carry it with them.

2 days? :eek3: but.... business means... they talk on phone a lot. The battery usually lasts about 2-3 hours if on phone. but for us deafies... we use txt so yea the battery lasts longer. 2 days sounds reasonable.

true but... who cares? buy another battery.

Oh really, I have carry my tools to open the MacBook Pro to replace the battery in car or in school. :lol:

"car charger" on my motorcycle. My GPS used to be connected to it but I needed the charger for something else so I hardwired the GPS power cord to my battery.

2945u8w.jpg

Nice motorcycle, man. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back