Netbooks, >>not notebook<<!

The Dell Inspiron Mini 12 is a good size and features lots of storage, but is hampered by its sluggish performance. Performance is awful slow.

The Dell Inspiron Mini 12 is a good size and features lots of storage, but is hampered by its sluggish performance. Performance is awful slow.
really?! Inspiron Mini 12 is crappy performance slow? mmm have you see it in person? Mmm Plus I've read article somewhere on internet said the mini 12 can't have upgradable RAM from 1GB to 2GB in future. oh sucks! thats what you are trying to say?

really?! Inspiron Mini 12 is crappy performance slow? mmm have you see it in person? Mmm Plus I've read article somewhere on internet said the mini 12 can't have upgradable RAM from 1GB to 2GB in future. oh sucks! thats what you are trying to say?

yes, it took over 2 minutes to get the the Vista desktop and over 4 minutes before all of the preinstalled programs

I will wait that it will be preinstalled XP end of year.

yes, it took over 2 minutes to get the the Vista desktop and over 4 minutes before all of the preinstalled programs

VISTA!?!? on mini-laptop? that's a blasphemy. I would not do that. I would install either XP or Ubuntu.

Dell Mini 12 review in APC from Australia

WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12: Dell’s super-slim netbook!

$999.00 AUD = $630 USD

OS and software

APC said: Dell’s global blueprint for the Inspiron Mini 12 sees the netbook launch with Windows Vista Home Edition, while “optional Ubuntu and Windows XP operating systems will available before the end of the year”.

Unless you live in Australia where it’s Vista now, the possibility of XP in “early 2009” while Ubuntu is “still being looked at” according to a Dell spokesman. As detailed in our introduction to the Mini 12, Dell cites the lack of connection managers for its telco partners under the Mini 12’s forthcoming 3G mobile broadband module as the reason Linux remains a no-show.

VISTA!?!? on mini-laptop? that's a blasphemy. I would not do that. I would install either XP or Ubuntu.

Same here, Have you heard about Windows 7 and it would running so better on netbook than Vista does.

Not surprised, I think it was awesome but oh well.

I think it was because of Vista.

Same here, Have you heard about Windows 7 and it would running so better on netbook than Vista does.

Yes, i know about new Windows 7. When will it be released? I favor Windows XP Pro. :barf: Vista

Yes, i know about new Windows 7. When will it be released? I favor Windows XP Pro. :barf: Vista

It will release in next year.

Yup, I understand about your feeling on Vista, I had same issue in some way and virus attack is very intensive on Vista, it frustrate me and impossible to fix it then ended up to do clean install.

And the OS will be similar built as Windows XP as well, so phuck Vista!

see--"a)"--Ooops I mean It is I have been able to convert & put movies onto a flash drive or memory card to transfer it to my netbook & watch it on little laptop better than DVD player & DVD movies I carrying around anywhere...

some who is members of family/ relatives never see small netbook. they watch movie on netbook without dvd rom. they asked me, where you get netbook?? i told them superstore bestbuy. they wanted to get one for themselves so badly.. HA HA!

Yup! DVD converter like I mentioned about BB Curve thread. Glad that you show everyone that converted movie can work on Netbook. I do see the DVD converter list included small laptops or portable media player (that have big screen) that use USB flashdrive or SD drive. Even though it may take time to convert but the biggest advantage is that you can convert as many movies during free time then trasnfer it to flashdrive and use that on netbook during travel.

DVD converter can convert 300% the speed if using Dual core processors. It's optimized for this speed. If movie itself is 1 1/2 hour long, it'll take 15 min or less to convert. If anyone happen to have Quad core system, I wonder would it be like 600% which means few minutes to convert DVD movies and being able to convert 50 to 60 DVD movies in an hour if you and system are fast enuf to swap DVD and be able to take library of DVD movies in a 32GB flashdrive for netbook for travel, Neato!! :rofl:

Catty

yea i've heard of it but i hope it's not a hype.

Most important to me is that I would want Netbooks that BOOTS UP FAST!! I do not want like the one crappy Dell netbook that can't boot to desktop in 15 to 30 seconds. Since that many manufacturers realized that many customers have no patience waiting for their system to boot up and settle in 3 to 5 minutes. Customers wanted it boot to desktop less than 15 seconds (that's only if they don't installs program that runs on background). Everyone are busy at work or at home and need to take a quick check on their Email or bid Ebay or grab cheapest ticket as quick as possible.

Netbooks that I read on this posting, some boots really fast and only one Dell don't. I am picky on which Netbooks that boots the fastest time and is upgradeable. Because I go work and take two 15 min coffee breaks and one lunch break. I wanted netbook be able to boot quickly and in use less than a minute to give me plenty of time to check Email, browse the net, or watch converted dvd movies ect..

The fact is that Manufacturer can modify BIOS to just boot directly to OS without hardware check blah blah. 99% of the time PC or Laptop (include netbooks, notebooks) do not need hardware check before it boot to OS. The BIOS check bypass been around since 1998. Mr. BIOS was the first one that allow hardware check bypass and even BIOS splashscreen bypass.

I used to have 1996 Packard Bell F170 (version 2.0 motherboard) which had overclocked 200mhz Pentuim 1 processor and maxed out 128mb EDO rams and 2gb hdd. I got lucky from one of the PackardBell Hater blogger that had Mr.BIOS bios flasher for F170 system. The guy sent me the copy of Mr.Bios via Email attachment. I copied it to floppy and reflashed my system's BIOS and sure enuf that I fiddle around Mr. BIOS bios setting and selected setting that bypasses hardware check and splashscreen :hmm:.

When I rebooted the system, Could you guess!! First thing I powered on, I see WinME splashscreen then settle to desktop ready to use within 15 SECONDS!!!!!!! That's Dang fastest boot time on pussy pee wee 200mhz system!! :jaw::jaw::eek2::eek2:

The real problem with Mr.BIOS flashed to PB system was that it disabled the parallel port and PCI ports that I couldn't use USB card. I found out Mr.BIOS program isn't completely fixed and it stopped updating in 2000 when XP and 1ghz system came out to market. IF I want to use parallel port or PCI for USB card ect, I would have to reflash it back to PB's original BIOS.

So given idea that today, manufacturers can do that with BIOS options to bypass hardware check and Bios splashscreen to cut bootup time rather quickly. Depending what board brands and model it is. Some board boots damn fast :eek2: that I missed "Del" key to enter BIOS and I had to "fight" to beat the board's fast boot to get into BIOS, some system are slow and give me plenty of time to hit "Del" key. I'm sure that some manufacturer that have a very fast bootup board can "tweak" bios to bypass so It can load OS the first thing you press power button :eek2: .

That's what I am hoping for some Netbooks. Also M$ and Linux can tweak so it can load to desktop ready to use within split seconds.

Catty

Most important to me is that I would want Netbooks that BOOTS UP FAST!! I do not want like the one crappy Dell netbook that can't boot to desktop in 15 to 30 seconds. Since that many manufacturers realized that many customers have no patience waiting for their system to boot up and settle in 3 to 5 minutes. Customers wanted it boot to desktop less than 15 seconds (that's only if they don't installs program that runs on background). Everyone are busy at work or at home and need to take a quick check on their Email or bid Ebay or grab cheapest ticket as quick as possible.

Netbooks that I read on this posting, some boots really fast and only one Dell don't. I am picky on which Netbooks that boots the fastest time and is upgradeable. Because I go work and take two 15 min coffee breaks and one lunch break. I wanted netbook be able to boot quickly and in use less than a minute to give me plenty of time to check Email, browse the net, or watch converted dvd movies ect..

The fact is that Manufacturer can modify BIOS to just boot directly to OS without hardware check blah blah. 99% of the time PC or Laptop (include netbooks, notebooks) do not need hardware check before it boot to OS. The BIOS check bypass been around since 1998. Mr. BIOS was the first one that allow hardware check bypass and even BIOS splashscreen bypass.

I used to have 1996 Packard Bell F170 (version 2.0 motherboard) which had overclocked 200mhz Pentuim 1 processor and maxed out 128mb EDO rams and 2gb hdd. I got lucky from one of the PackardBell Hater blogger that had Mr.BIOS bios flasher for F170 system. The guy sent me the copy of Mr.Bios via Email attachment. I copied it to floppy and reflashed my system's BIOS and sure enuf that I fiddle around Mr. BIOS bios setting and selected setting that bypasses hardware check and splashscreen :hmm:.

When I rebooted the system, Could you guess!! First thing I powered on, I see WinME splashscreen then settle to desktop ready to use within 15 SECONDS!!!!!!! That's Dang fastest boot time on pussy pee wee 200mhz system!! :jaw::jaw::eek2::eek2:

The real problem with Mr.BIOS flashed to PB system was that it disabled the parallel port and PCI ports that I couldn't use USB card. I found out Mr.BIOS program isn't completely fixed and it stopped updating in 2000 when XP and 1ghz system came out to market. IF I want to use parallel port or PCI for USB card ect, I would have to reflash it back to PB's original BIOS.

So given idea that today, manufacturers can do that with BIOS options to bypass hardware check and Bios splashscreen to cut bootup time rather quickly. Depending what board brands and model it is. Some board boots damn fast :eek2: that I missed "Del" key to enter BIOS and I had to "fight" to beat the board's fast boot to get into BIOS, some system are slow and give me plenty of time to hit "Del" key. I'm sure that some manufacturer that have a very fast bootup board can "tweak" bios to bypass so It can load OS the first thing you press power button :eek2: .

That's what I am hoping for some Netbooks. Also M$ and Linux can tweak so it can load to desktop ready to use within split seconds.

Catty

Most netbooks are just same speed as PC in 8 years ago.

Most netbooks are just same speed as PC in 8 years ago.

Yup, AS I mentioned above post I made, The PC/Laptop manufacturer is going to fix the BIOS in a way to boot OS the very first thing you power on. I have not encountered ANY PC and Laptops that have options to allow you to bypass hardware check and bios splashscreen.

The only way to do that is to download a BIOS programming software and hack the BIOS so that you can bypass it to OS in split seconds. That's not for faint of heart and tech noob. IF you are very brave and know how to "Hot flash" BIOS chipset (means swap BIOS chip while system is running and flash it with Winflash or flash it in under DOS with another BIOS chip with same part number for backup if failure.. for the backup purpose. Then you can do it.

(check my thread Mobo and CPU question on almost last part!! Read what I did with my Emachine rebranded mobo to MSI 8Xtreme without changing mobo. here!-->> http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-electronics-gaming/52595-mobo-cpu-question-4.html)

I found one site that have one but I downloaded it and tried to install the software, it seem to be a DOS base software with little instruction on how to use it. I dropped it. I tried find it again and forgotten where it is cuz I reformatted my AMD64 system recently. (the one that have lot of cool stuff such as changing BIOS splashscreen, programming to change the way BIOS function which is very risky)

I found another one in website which is different

Award BIOS Editor

I could try that on my "new" AMD64 MSI 8Xtreme system. IF I screwed the BIOS rendering my board dead, I can always resurrect it by reflashing back to original BIOS.

So that's why I hope Netbooks manufacturer do the same by bypassing BIOS check and splashscreen to OS within pressing powerbutton.

Catty

Yeah I got your words! why not you refomat harddrive with xp after you purchase netbook if it has preintalled vista OS? umm

Yes I want window 7, Because I AM 100% PC! I actually have heard rumors that MS claimed the Window 7 will be release in 2010, ugh! no bia or no bs.. Because MS don't feel final window 7 ready for 2009.

Catty
Absolutely yes, netbooks is easy upgrade for parts as such HDD, RAM, and even touchscreen by yourself without send it to shop.

I don't mind to buy dell 12in, but the dell 12in isn't offering upgradable RAM more. oh sucks!

Yup, AS I mentioned above post I made, The PC/Laptop manufacturer is going to fix the BIOS in a way to boot OS the very first thing you power on. I have not encountered ANY PC and Laptops that have options to allow you to bypass hardware check and bios splashscreen.

The only way to do that is to download a BIOS programming software and hack the BIOS so that you can bypass it to OS in split seconds. That's not for faint of heart and tech noob. IF you are very brave and know how to "Hot flash" BIOS chipset (means swap BIOS chip while system is running and flash it with Winflash or flash it in under DOS with another BIOS chip with same part number for backup if failure.. for the backup purpose. Then you can do it.

(check my thread Mobo and CPU question on almost last part!! Read what I did with my Emachine rebranded mobo to MSI 8Xtreme without changing mobo. here!-->> http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-electronics-gaming/52595-mobo-cpu-question-4.html)

I found one site that have one but I downloaded it and tried to install the software, it seem to be a DOS base software with little instruction on how to use it. I dropped it. I tried find it again and forgotten where it is cuz I reformatted my AMD64 system recently. (the one that have lot of cool stuff such as changing BIOS splashscreen, programming to change the way BIOS function which is very risky)

I found another one in website which is different

Award BIOS Editor

I could try that on my "new" AMD64 MSI 8Xtreme system. IF I screwed the BIOS rendering my board dead, I can always resurrect it by reflashing back to original BIOS.

So that's why I hope Netbooks manufacturer do the same by bypassing BIOS check and splashscreen to OS within pressing powerbutton.

Catty
Your post is very interesting in me.. I have own two laptop (15.9in and 10in), So My 15.9in LP is for mainly photoshop, movie edit, and blackberry theme/ developer. here is netbook for internet, watch movie, word process, anythings.

somebody said that netbook is very slow speed. where hell person get inform? I tell you thats not true. I use this netbook heavy like my big laptop, my netbook did not any crash nor frozen up in front of eyes for a month and 1 week now. On netbook, downloading is very FAST than my LP or sperm (ha), did you know that?

Wndows 7 by word, I hear would be out by mid 2009, but we would have no patience if it was out in 2010! :eek3:

somebody said that netbook is very slow speed. where hell person get inform? I tell you thats not true. I use this netbook heavy like my big laptop, my netbook did not any crash nor frozen up in front of eyes for a month and 1 week now. On netbook, downloading is very FAST than my LP or sperm (ha), did you know that?

I wonder about it too!! Netbooks are as fast as any laptops! It all depend on mobo it use. Dell netbook in THIS blog says it's slow booting up. While yours boots up fast. I disagree with whoever said netbooks are slow.

Depending on what brands on Netbooks. Maybe someone just saw one or two lousy netbooks while great one is out in other store. Not shopping enuf to investigate.

Catty

Back