Need help with your VP???

sequoias said:
Get Mac OS X...It's based on UNIX engine. You don't have to worry about spyware, viruses and hackers either. That's if you get a Macintosh computer, it will run Windows XP, too. You can also run Linux on the Mac, too.

I'm just suggesting ya. :)

Well. I can't install MAC in PC. :(

I need dual boot up. One for XP for gamer and lot software that I need. 2nd for other O/S like Linux or something.

I know Mac is pretty easy and very simple. I figured it out so quick. Funny thing my friend own Mac G4 for year and she can't figured it out why her internet won't connection to computer that she try to use dial-up. I just figured it out by networking switch from LAN to dial-up. I never own Mac before all in my life.

They are gimmicks in redhat Linux, they are out there trying to sell you "Service" that comes in with Redhat Linux.

I suggest you try Kubuntu, they are 100% or should I say 100000% free? There is no gimmicks, there is nothing to tie you up with them. They arent asking you for any moola, and welcome donation if you want to throw them money. LOL

There are three different flavors of Linux! KDE is my favorite, other is GNOME which is huh huh? and finally KFEC which is excellent for dinosaur PC.
If you want to try Linux, my recommendation is get the KDE flavor becuase they are much friendlier of all.

DoVip said:
What about Redhat Linux? Is it same?

True that old Linksys works better than newer one. THat is because Cisco bought the Linksys and decided to remove the H.263 protocol off from router. They were concerned about security issues. What a lame excuse!

Nope, Hackers can destroy VP, only if they know how. Very rare but does happen. I wouldn't care anyway, know why? It cost me NOTHING!

rhr said:
What Linksys model? but old router will work for VP but some new linksys not work it

I have BEFSR81, WRT54GS (wireless), and EFG80 (NAS),
also three computer, they are perfect work and work VP too
but WRT54GS won't work VP, I use BEFSR81 with VP work. Both are work for computer, NAS, etc.. work all Ports (FTP, etc..)

you can choose Port or DMZ for VP-100, if you use DMZ to VP, they won't hurt computer! becuase Hack, Virus can't into VP becuase VP is chip / ROM (read only), no problem, I use Port to VP and DMZ is zone

sequoias said:
Get Mac OS X...It's based on UNIX engine. You don't have to worry about spyware, viruses and hackers either. That's if you get a Macintosh computer, it will run Windows XP, too. You can also run Linux on the Mac, too.

I'm just suggesting ya. :)
Please explain why is it that you don't have to worry about spyware, viruses and hackers if you run MAC OS. From what I know you have to worry about that stuff regardless of the OS. It's just that Microsoft OS gets attaced the most. It doesn't exempt the others.
Just curious.

DoVip said:
What about Redhat Linux? Is it same?
DoVip... there are several flavors of UNIX and LINUX out there. They are similar but each is slightly different in their implementations. Red Hat is just another flavor of Linux.

rhr said:
What Linksys model? but old router will work for VP but some new linksys not work it
I use linksys befsx41.

I have BEFSR81, WRT54GS (wireless), and EFG80 (NAS),
also three computer, they are perfect work and work VP too
but WRT54GS won't work VP, I use BEFSR81 with VP work. Both are work for computer, NAS, etc.. work all Ports (FTP, etc..)
That's cool, If it works for ya then stick with it.

you can choose Port or DMZ for VP-100, if you use DMZ to VP, they won't hurt computer! becuase Hack, Virus can't into VP becuase VP is chip / ROM (read only), no problem, I use Port to VP and DMZ is zone
Understood but your VP can have a DOS attack launched on it as long as it's on the DMZ.. Also watch out for ping of death. The DMZ works but as I mentioned earlier, anything hanging off the DMZ us NOT protected which means it's visible on the internet.

diehardbiker65 said:
They are gimmicks in redhat Linux, they are out there trying to sell you "Service" that comes in with Redhat Linux.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Red hat is open source so if you are savvy enough you can even make modifications to the Kernel to suit your needs.

I suggest you try Kubuntu, they are 100% or should I say 100000% free? There is no gimmicks, there is nothing to tie you up with them. They arent asking you for any moola, and welcome donation if you want to throw them money. LOL
The thing to be cautious of here is the availability of drivers for the little players. You may run into problems finding drivers for TV cards, wireless network cards etc. etc. This is why I would stick with the bigger players. Your chances of getting drivers are greater for the flavor that is the most widely used. As of March of 04 Red Hat, SuSe, Mandrake, Debian and Ubuntu were the most widely used distrubtions. Here is the link which supports that. http://www.bellevuelinux.org/operating_systems_list.html

There are three different flavors of Linux! KDE is my favorite, other is GNOME which is huh huh? and finally KFEC which is excellent for dinosaur PC. If you want to try Linux, my recommendation is get the KDE flavor becuase they are much friendlier of all.
There are way more than three flavors of Linux out there. Caldera, SUSE, Debian, Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware, LinuxPro, TurboLinux, Corel just to name a few. KDE is not a flavor of Linux per se. Its a Desktop Environment that runs on UNIX and LINUX. Similar to Sun's CDE. It's simply a user interface similar to windows. Meaning menu options and icons on a desktop.

diehardbiker65 said:
True that old Linksys works better than newer one. THat is because Cisco bought the Linksys and decided to remove the H.263 protocol off from router. They were concerned about security issues. What a lame excuse!

Nope, Hackers can destroy VP, only if they know how. Very rare but does happen. I wouldn't care anyway, know why? It cost me NOTHING!

you are right smile

Your referring to "brand" not flavor! There are really three flavors. It is up to the author of OS to pick which flavor. For example Linspire uses KDE, While Ubuntu uses all three flavors (ubuntu is GNOME, Kubuntu is KDE, and other I forgot the name is for KFEC). Redhat, I believe uses GNOME

rockdrummer said:
There are way more than three flavors of Linux out there. Caldera, SUSE, Debian, Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware, LinuxPro, TurboLinux, Corel just to name a few. KDE is not a flavor of Linux per se. Its a Desktop Environment that runs on UNIX and LINUX. Similar to Sun's CDE. It's simply a user interface similar to windows. Meaning menu options and icons on a desktop.

rockdrummer said:
I use linksys befsx41.

What Version befsx41.(V1.0, V2.0, etc..), old 1.0 work, other 2.0 or high some not work, I have befsx41., I sold my friends that he upset other Linksys Router with Phone won't work, I give him, work VP, he is happy

I never virus, hack, spyware, I bought it 10 year ago, never hurt me!! maybe your computer have spyware, you need clearup all

diehardbiker65 said:
Your referring to "brand" not flavor! There are really three flavors. It is up to the author of OS to pick which flavor. For example Linspire uses KDE, While Ubuntu uses all three flavors (ubuntu is GNOME, Kubuntu is KDE, and other I forgot the name is for KFEC). Redhat, I believe uses GNOME
I come from old school UNIX background where AIX, HPUX, SUNOS and other vendors were always referred to as different flavors. Why, because there weren't many choices for GUI’s back then and in some cases the CLI was the only user interface available. So I would say that nowadays the term for various vendors is more appropriately “distributions” and the desktop user experience can be considered a flavor. However there are still many that would consider a distribution as a different flavor. Having said that and assuming we are in agreement on the term “flavor” I must say there are still more than three flavors of Linux out there. I don’t see many references to considering the GUI as a flavor and still see many instances where the different vendors are referred to as “distributions” or flavors.
Here are some links to support what I am saying. Either way I think we are on the same page that there are differences between the “distributions” and the GUI’s available for a given distribution.

Distributions refered to as flavors.
http://www.bellevuelinux.org/flavors.html

http://www.geektimelinux.com/index.php?q=node/view/220

rhr said:
What Version befsx41.(V1.0, V2.0, etc..), old 1.0 work, other 2.0 or high some not work, I have befsx41., I sold my friends that he upset other Linksys Router with Phone won't work, I give him, work VP, he is happy

I never virus, hack, spyware, I bought it 10 year ago, never hurt me!! maybe your computer have spyware, you need clearup all
Thats a good question. I have always wondered how to tell what version I have. I have tried do use firmware for both version and they both seem to work. One trick that I learned with Linksys firmware upgrades is to always reset the device to factory defaults after the upgrade. Sure this means that you have to re-configure everything but if you don't do that, you will have a very flaky device. The setting back to factory defaults and re-configuring has solved many many problems for me after upgrading the firmware.

rockdrummer said:
Inbound ports
1720 TCP
15328-15333 TCP and UDP
Outbound ports
1024-65535 TCP and UDP
Services
FTP port 21
LDAP port 389
HTTP port 80

you have too many port opened

check out this

only difference soresnon sr 200 and dlink 604 router is DMZ default set 125

qwerty123 said:
you have too many port opened

check out this

only difference soresnon sr 200 and dlink 604 router is DMZ default set 125
The ports I specified are taken right off the manual and they are also printed on the back of the box for the VP100. The link you provided talks about the ports you need open if you are having problems with the video image. Even though they are talking about a firewall there. It makes me think that maybe there is an error on that link or there is an error printed in the manual and on the box. Which is wrong? :dunno: If you don't open FTP then you will most likely not be able to download updates to your VP. Additionally the other ports mentioned are for other services LDAP etc. The limitations of the sr200 are exactly why I went back to using my linksys firewall/router.

I have question about new SR 200, our guy came in today to set up VP but SR 200 does not work with our modem zoom so we tried to reconfigure with port numbers. Problem with port numbers, he can not find new number for those ports on SR 200. He told us we need to change our modem to other modem. This guy is new with zoom and told us it will not work with SR 200. :dunno:

jazzy said:
I have question about new SR 200, our guy came in today to set up VP but SR 200 does not work with our modem zoom so we tried to reconfigure with port numbers. Problem with port numbers, he can not find new number for those ports on SR 200. He told us we need to change our modem to other modem. This guy is new with zoom and told us it will not work with SR 200. :dunno:
Are you talking about the SR200 router or the VP200? I would not understand why the modem would have anything to do with it. The problems are usually with firewall settings and I know from experience that the sr200 router is limited in what you can configure. Thats why I took it out of my configuration.

rockdrummer said:
Are you talking about the SR200 router or the VP200? I would not understand why the modem would have anything to do with it. The problems are usually with firewall settings and I know from experience that the sr200 router is limited in what you can configure. Thats why I took it out of my configuration.

I mean vp200, yeah need to remove this firewall and NAT from modem so vp200 can go thru our modem. I do not see why we need to trade this modem with other modem to fit this vp200. We try to get this reconfigure with port number but he does not know or have this number yet. I give up. anyway thanks for make me unds little bit better about this.

jazzy said:
I mean vp200, yeah need to remove this firewall and NAT from modem so vp200 can go thru our modem. I do not see why we need to trade this modem with other modem to fit this vp200. We try to get this reconfigure with port number but he does not know or have this number yet. I give up. anyway thanks for make me unds little bit better about this.
I am glad to help when and where I can... I am not an expert but I do have a good understanding of this stuff despite how some folks here are just interested in second guessing me (or anything for that matter). My only intention is to help when and where and if I can.

VP-200 and Router

Hey!

I got VP-200 on last saturday! Everything worked fine. Except Recieve Calls. I can't recieve Calls on my VP-200 and Soreson Installer try fix that. But it still not working. Installer look like he don't know how Firewall works. Because I have My DSL connect to DI-604 and DI-624 (Chain) Router I connect my VP-200 direct to DI-624 but I able not recieve calls but it only show up missed Calls on my VP-200.

But I am switch to RoadRunner in November when I switch to RoadRunner I won't be using Router anymore! Router work suck with VP!!

Back