My son's milestone

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I wanted to share with you about this amazing and exciting news regarding of my autistic son. For some time, my son has been struggling with his communication skills. He only limits himself to gestures and pictures in order to communicate.

But, Yesterday, I was so ecstatic to receive this information from my son's teacher. The teacher has been working with my son by using the stencils and trying to get him to work with the alphabets for some time. He was somewhat able to get the grasp of alphabets until yesterday, and this is what his teacher said -

He was given an ABC stencil and instead of just doing ABC. He spelled out words like Dexter. Book cops etc. We all are so excited to see that he showing he noticed words and can spell them from memory. Now we just have to see if he can use that to spell out words to communicate with.
So, with that, It has gave me hope to go further with my son and I am really proud of him. I am hoping he will be able to write more words and things like that in order to communicate with us down the road. This is a start.

Hi Gang,

I wanted to share with you about this amazing and exciting news regarding of my autistic son. For some time, my son has been struggling with his communication skills. He only limits himself to gestures and pictures in order to communicate.

But, Yesterday, I was so ecstatic to receive this information from my son's teacher. The teacher has been working with my son by using the stencils and trying to get him to work with the alphabets for some time. He was somewhat able to get the grasp of alphabets until yesterday, and this is what his teacher said -

So, with that, It has gave me hope to go further with my son and I am really proud of him. I am hoping he will be able to write more words and things like that in order to communicate with us down the road. This is a start.

That is a wonderful achievement for your son. I know that makes you so very proud of him. I truly hope that he continues to progress like this. Thanks for sharing this happy news!

That's wonderful that your son have achieved to learn how to spell the ABC words like that and i am applauding to your son's teacher for doing that for your son's needs. Way to go!!!!!

Wow, that's great news, Jolie; you must be very proud. It all begins with the first step, no matter how long it takes to get going and hopefully based on the first step, his carry-over will be spot on and the pace will step up.

Hi Gang,

WONDERFUL.... you now have high hope... he will improve... i am positive...

That's a great start! I can imagine how proud you are of your son. I hope he'll be able to do more along the way. :hug:

That's awesome to see that he has improved his development, it does take a lot of patience and time. You must be very proud of him. ;)

Jolie, I was very happy to hear about your son's milestone. I bet your so proud of him to use the stencils on his own to spell out words. Give him a big :hug: for me.

Aww Jolie_77, that's wonderful news, I'm glad they're helping him improve his communication skills..

give your son a gentle pat on the shoulder for me... well done! :D

Nice to see how elated you are with your son's progress, his developement may be taking time, however, I can believe he'll be able to accomplish more, doing so, only with the dedication, committment from his teacher as well as your loving support/rapport into his daily life...patience is timing--yet,the accomplishment of any feat, whether small or big is a wonderous joy, such joy that you're sharing now with AD'ers. Congratulations!!

Take care and keep hanging in there!! ;)

~RR

Congrats on your son's progress and let us know how he progresses. You must be proud of him.

Thats so cool to hear. There is an autistic boy at my church that attends Awanas and they've asked me to start working with him a bit there to teach him some signs since he absolutely refuses to talk to anyone except for his mother. Its neat seeing kids start to open up to the world around them and start communicating back to us what is in their world.

That's the greatest new ever for ya, Jo.. I'm sure ya still beaming about how your son Cameron been doing... wow...

Hey that is wonderful news!!! i am happy for your son! That is indeed a milestone. I have been in your shoes before as my son was austitic when he was young and now is outgrow of it but he still have SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) and development Delay. He had come a long way to where he is today. It take time! small steps to giant steps. Give that teacher pat on the back for good job! As always keep working with your son. You never know ...I am so happy for you! :)

Back