my son is deaf, finally

i am not sure but i think they are saying that they agree with you, and are simply asking if a hearing child has ever been made deaf medically. maybe they can clarify for us what exactly they are trying to say before we cut them down.....:hmm:

I doubt that CJB agree with me, especially with the last statement "I think it makes an excellent point about giving Deaf children CI's before they have the chance to make the decision themselves.". CJB wants to know if the Deaf parents had made their child/ren deaf on purpose. The man in video made it looks like he had made his "son" deaf. That is a shock value to make you think. If hearing people are in uproar about a Deaf parent making a child deaf, then why are they ignoring our uproar about a hearing parent making a deaf child "hearing"?

This reminds me of a guy who screamed at me, demanding that I respect him but he really don't respect me at all. I just see him as a sick man who want people to respect him but he doesn't want to bother with respecting other people. Do I respect him? No, I just stay out of his way and avoiding him as much as I can (I am in a position where I can't avoid him entirely but it won't be long). Do you see how I see that in hearing people who think that deaf babies ought to be implanted? They would be in uproar if we say that hearing babies ought to be implanted so they can sign.

That's fine.

"Thank god my son is blind, finally."

Actually I feel the same way about blind babies going for surgeries all round the world to try and get their sight back. It happens. You even get blind kids being sent to china to try for new treatment. To me that is simply too much.

They should be accepted the way they are As blind children. Teach them blind skills, teach them braille, teach them ecolocation but whatever you do please accept them and don't try to give them that little bit of sight just so you can rob them of braille.

I doubt that CJB agree with me, especially with the last statement "I think it makes an excellent point about giving Deaf children CI's before they have the chance to make the decision themselves.". CJB wants to know if the Deaf parents had made their child/ren deaf on purpose. The man in video made it looks like he had made his "son" deaf. That is a shock value to make you think. If hearing people are in uproar about a Deaf parent making a child deaf, then why are they ignoring our uproar about a hearing parent making a deaf child "hearing"?

This reminds me of a guy who screamed at me, demanding that I respect him but he really don't respect me at all. I just see him as a sick man who want people to respect him but he doesn't want to bother with respecting other people. Do I respect him? No, I just stay out of his way and avoiding him as much as I can (I am in a position where I can't avoid him entirely but it won't be long). Do you see how I see that in hearing people who think that deaf babies ought to be implanted? They would be in uproar if we say that hearing babies ought to be implanted so they can sign.

That was one good good shock value! I think that was brilliant of the guy in the video. Brilliant. He got some people pissed of here so that showed that he stirred emotions with his audience. Only a good storyteller has skills to do that.

Actually I feel the same way about blind babies going for surgeries all round the world to try and get their sight back. It happens. You even get blind kids being sent to china to try for new treatment. To me that is simply too much.

They should be accepted the way they are As blind children. Teach them blind skills, teach them braille, teach them ecolocation but whatever you do please accept them and don't try to give them that little bit of sight just so you can rob them of braille.

I agree..thanks to you and other blind members here, I have learned a lot about blindness and now do not see it as the end of the world. It is all about taking a positive approach to new challenges. Too many people have become spoiled and seem to be unable rise to challenges these days. Like, some people freak out if their favorite show gets cancelled. That's pathetic.

It was a very well-made story to get people to think outside of the box IF they are willing to. It takes being open-minded for people to step out of their comfort zone and think from outside of the box.

yes very well made. my parents want me to get ci and get upset when i get upset that they continue to push it on me. the thing is im late deafened but i still feel the same as yall about the ci. god made me deaf. im ok with it. yes its challenging living in hearing majority but i function fine w out a ci. i dont want a hole in my head and side effects and to be Made to hear again. i feel the same the video says bout the ci. maybe i should show my folks video and see if it makes them open their eyes a little....:hmm:

yeah i understand you. and i agree w you. i think hearies see things only one way sometimes. not always but sometimes.

Like, some people freak out if their favorite show gets cancelled. That's pathetic.

Or if their Internet went out for 10 seconds. My stepdad and my half-sister would get absolutely freaked out if they don't have Internet right there, and then... and they start going crazy after an hour... then after about 24 hours-- you see them becoming erratic. And after 2 weeks, you think they gone loony!

Wow.

I agree..thanks to you and other blind members here, I have learned a lot about blindness and now do not see it as the end of the world. It is all about taking a positive approach to new challenges.

I'm glad you feel like that.

By the way I'm sorry you had to go through your step dad being so insesitive when your half brother was born. Is he the same brother who had emotional problems and ended up being sent to Boot camp? If so it sounds like Karma biting back?

I think you read CJB's post wrong. No need to castrate him over something that isn't clearly worded. He agreed with the method of the video. He's pro-Deaf, and if you actually took the time to read how he worded it, you would know it without being a reactionary.

Yes I'm sorry I was unclear.

I think the story makes an excellent analogy. Having hearing parents that implant their Deaf children with CI's is like having Deaf parents who try to deafen their hearing children. The hearing/Deaf status should be up to the child, not the parents.

I think the video does a good job showing why implanting Deaf children with the CI is so offensive to the Deaf community. It's just like if Deaf parents wanted to deafen their child because Deaf was normal in the community and there everyone was okay with it.

Thanks for helping clarify things, souggy.

I'm glad you feel like that.

By the way I'm sorry you had to go through your step dad being so insesitive when your half brother was born. Is he the same brother who had emotional problems and ended up being sent to Boot camp? If so it sounds like Karma biting back?

No...my 21 year old half brother is going to be a senior at a private college in Pittsburg for entertainment law so i am sure my mom's ex is probably bragging about it to anyone who is willing to listen.

The one with the emotional problems is my dad and stepmoms' son. He is 20 years old..will be 21 this Dec.

My family is confusing..lol.

I think the story makes an excellent analogy. Having hearing parents that implant their Deaf children with CI's is like having Deaf parents who try to deafen their hearing children. The hearing/Deaf status should be up to the child, not the parents.

I think the video does a good job showing why implanting Deaf children with the CI is so offensive to the Deaf community. It's just like if Deaf parents wanted to deafen their child because Deaf was normal in the community and there everyone was okay with it.

Gosh, imagine if this guy really actually went through something like that. The hearing community would have him jailed for child abuse. However, hearing parents get upset for being labeled as child abusers for implanting their children. Gotta have to see the irony. :hmm:

Gosh, imagine if this guy really actually went through something like that. The hearing community would have him jailed for child abuse. However, hearing parents get upset for being labeled as child abusers for implanting their children. Gotta have to see the irony. :hmm:

That's exactly what makes the story so brilliant. I have to say it worked for me too -- I was shocked and infuriated that he deafen his son especially when the son said he wanted to stay hearing, until the part of the video where he said it was just to make a point. Although I would be equally shocked and infuriated if a Deaf child was implanted with the CI against their will.

if my child became deaf for one reason or other... i would be upset because that would mean he would go through hard time... however it would be nice because then we would have that special bond cuz we have same problem. I would never ever force anything on my child unless it is for his health reason... like if need to put some surgery somewhere around her or his heart so they would continue living wihtout much of pain im all for it... otherwise my child would stay as he or she is. period. no discussion here.

i wouldnt mind adopting a deaf child though... too many children who are blind or deaf or physical disabled that are rejected by their own parents... *Growls*

amen lol was just thinking of that when i saw your post.

Don't worry about it. Everyone reads differently, and it depends on the audience you are targeting. The way you worded it is fine with me because I encounter that style before with palaeontologists. The way I type my posts here is different from the way I type on other forums. Why? Different audiences.

You will find your "AllDeaf" voice. :)

i am not sure but i think they are saying that they agree with you, and are simply asking if a hearing child has ever been made deaf medically. maybe they can clarify for us what exactly they are trying to say before we cut them down.....:hmm:

And yes that is also my question. Has this ever happened in real life?

Wow...

All I can say - It blew my mind when I watched the video. I know at the end it was a joke but at the same time, it was also beyond being thought-provoking. I mean, I could definitely relate to it in a way because I have 2 deaf sons myself.

Sure, I was elated and thrilled to find that both of my sons were deaf at birth and in order to have a special bond with them. But, when it comes to grow up in a hearing family, that's entirely different. So, in a way, I could understand why the v-logger was presenting this idea to push us all to the max to see where other sides are coming from.

As we all know, Cochlear Implant issues are always a never-ending hot topic between both worlds.

Come to think of it, If it really did happen to inflict a child to become deaf; Why is it not OK for us to be outraged at the cochlear implant issues whereas it would be OK for them to be outraged at this issue?

CJB, I was about to apologize for my post before I saw this post. Now I had to think it over and reread your last statement. Now I see what you mean so I apologize.

I think the man in the video should have his video captioned if he want everybody to understand his video.

About the Deaf parent making his hearing child deaf, the closest thing the hearing people would see is the story in Maryland about two deaf lesbians who want to have deaf children. More on this: Lesbian Couple Have Deaf Baby By Choice I don't see it on the same level as CI because surgery is not done at all. They just found a man with five generations of deafness. The boy is born deaf because of his father's gene.

Edit: It was late because I had to google for the link.
Second Edit: I forgot to say that I was shocked to learn that donors with disabilities were screened out at the sperm banks.

No...my 21 year old half brother is going to be a senior at a private college in Pittsburg for entertainment law so i am sure my mom's ex is probably bragging about it to anyone who is willing to listen.

The one with the emotional problems is my dad and stepmoms' son. He is 20 years old..will be 21 this Dec.

My family is confusing..lol.

Shel, thanks for explaining about your family.

Back