my son is deaf, finally

I don't know whether I misread (I don't understand sign language), but I feel very pissed off after reading what KarissaMann05 wrote. Those parents should not be allowed to have kids. I don't understand why the deaf parents should feel happy after forcing their son to be deaf. It is immoral. Nuff said.

Read Post #14.

It's a joke. I knew it was a joke from the first minute, although I am pretty sure reading a lot of British literature would help detecting if something is not meant to be taken seriously.

Thanks for pointing it out souggy :) I missed post 14. I feel better now :) I thought something was amiss, because I am quite sure a lot of people in this forum would also be outraged if it did happen (and assuming such procedure exist).

Oh, I agree, Omega, that I think many here would outraged if such an incident did happen.

When I first read the title, I thought 2 things: 1) the child had a progressive hearing loss and it finally reached the point that he was deaf (because of the "finally" in the title) or 2) that this was a child that was hearing and self-inflicted deafness on himself (we've talked about that in other threads here -- those are people who need help !!) and that the parent was actually happy the son was deaf.

Regardless of whether it was #1 or #2, I was prepared to be sad that a parent was actually happy that their child was deaf. I've been deaf since birth so I know how hard that can be.

Regardless of whether it was #1 or #2, I was prepared to be sad that a parent was actually happy that their child was deaf. I've been deaf since birth so I know how hard that can be.

You would be surprised how many people want a deaf baby. At the Manitoba School for the Deaf, I got to know a few parents in Winnipeg that wanted to have a Deaf baby. At first I was confused, then now I know why.

I would like to have a deaf child too. ;) Although I probably would adopt one instead of having one since my deafness is not genetic. Plus I would rather help someone who is already deaf rather than having my own flesh and blood.

You would be surprised how many people want a deaf baby. At the Manitoba School for the Deaf, I got to know a few parents in Winnipeg that wanted to have a Deaf baby. At first I was confused, then now I know why.

I would like to have a deaf child too. ;) Although I probably would adopt one instead of having one since my deafness is not genetic. Plus I would rather help someone who is already deaf rather than having my own flesh and blood.

I get your point. I have considered adoption myself over the years since I can't have children of my own. And I always told myself that if I ever did adopt, that I'd adopt a deaf child. I was looking into international adoption at that time as well (and again, deaf international children.) My feeling, however, isn't that I'd be happy to be adopting a deaf child. I'd be happy adopting a child that isn't "perfect" by many hearing parents' standards because I've been deaf all my life -- I would know what to do for arranging interpreters, what schools/programs to choose, communication methods, etc., because I've been there and done all that.

Thanks for the transcription, KarissaMann05! :ty::ty:

I was very offended at this whole story until the very end when I realized he was just making a point. My wife realized the message the whole time.

I'm wondering do you know of Deaf parents that actually do this to their children? Does this happen for real?

I think it makes an excellent point about giving Deaf children CI's before they have the chance to make the decision themselves.

I don't know whether I misread (I don't understand sign language), but I feel very pissed off after reading what KarissaMann05 wrote. Those parents should not be allowed to have kids. I don't understand why the deaf parents should feel happy after forcing their son to be deaf. It is immoral. Nuff said.

You feel pissed off? That is exactly how many deaf people feel when they heard about deaf babies being implanted. If it is okay for hearing parents to change their deaf child into a hearing child so he/she is more like them, then it is okay for deaf parents to change their hearing child into a deaf child so he/she is more like them. Tell me why it is okay to implant deaf babies when it is very possible for the child to die from infection or other problems stemming from the implanting when the answer to communication problem is ASL.

Look at the Deaf history. Laurent Clerc was doing really great with the Deaf Education, spreading it all around. The hearing people hijacked the Deaf Education and force oralism on the deaf kids. This is like taking hearing kids and force them to lipreading where the teacher talk without voice and telling the parents not to use their voice and make sure that they turn off the sound on tv/radio. Would those hearing kids be on par with hearing kids who are allowed to use voice? I doubt it because of what is happening with pro-oralism parents putting their deaf child in an oral school. We have been complaining about the quality of Deaf Education but do they listen to us? Nooo.

Then those hearing people came up with eugenic laws, sterlizing anybody they see as unfit, including deaf people. Now they came up with CI just because the hearing people want us to be like them???? They have all 5 senses and yet they can't learn sign language! I learned to speak in spite of my severe-to-profound hearing loss and they can't even learn to sign. Do I want to be like them? No way. Why would I want to be like those "retards". Yes, I see them as "retards because it is the only reason I can see why they can't learn sign language. Be careful of what you wish for. If you wish us to be like you, then we are seeing that you think it is okay to make a deaf child like you by implanting then we reason that it must be okay for us to make our hearing child like us via surgery. If you think that deaf people shouldn't be allowed to be parents, then we think you hearing people (those who don't sign) shouldn't be parents either.

Just recently, I heard a holocaust survivor said any person shouldn't do any evil things like what happened in the WWII because it can come back to bite you back. Well, after what had been happening to the deaf people over 200 years, I hope it come back to bite you back hard.

If you don't think the surgery to make a hearing child deaf is right then CI for the deaf babies is not right either. You have no right to tell us that it is wrong while continuing doing the CI implanting. I just don't see how hearing parents can be happy that the child is implanted while the child suffer the after-surgery pain and the side effects afterward.

If my kids had been born deaf, I wouldnt be sad.

Thanks for the transcription, KarissaMann05! :ty::ty:

I was very offended at this whole story until the very end when I realized he was just making a point. My wife realized the message the whole time.

I'm wondering do you know of Deaf parents that actually do this to their children? Does this happen for real?

I think it makes an excellent point about giving Deaf children CI's before they have the chance to make the decision themselves.

I am very offended that you think that deaf babies should be implanted so they don't have any say in this matter. That tells me that you think deaf people are sub-human therefore they can't make good reasoning. People like you shouldn't be allowed to be parents because deaf children do suffer under that kind of thinking.

my comment, he's moron
both side pissed me off the make up story about making kids deaf, and the anti-CI "truth" to the story theory pissed me off because CI does not makes kids hearing, its just tool to help strengthen their own good, self-esteem, to be strong person with all language opportunities (im speaking from pro Bi-Bi with Ci point of view) to appreciates music, using phone, speaking with people effortlessly but still have choice of turning sound off by simply pop coil off enjoy silence and able to sign effortlessly to communicate with other deaf people or their parents, great back up if CIs failed or processor broke and sent in for repair they can have interpreter to sign everything in school.
so im all for bilateral CI on all profoundly deaf children with both spoken and sign skills.
However i do respect if the deaf parents choose not to implant the kids nor put hearing aids on them because its their own kids not mine so its not my problem or business to pry in and shove my opinion in their throats.
it will just sadden me a bit seeing deaf people with no sign skills, or no spoken skills, no hearing aid or CI on their ears. but nothing on this earth is all perfect happy balanced, best in both or all world so all we can do is keep opinions to ourselves if its not gonna do any good by speaking out to people who already made their decision for their kids so.

OKAY.... phew! :lol: Now, I'm done. :P

EDIT: Oh yes... Sorry, I suck at interfering but I hope you get what the man said. :)

Thanks very much for interpreting Karissamann, that was very interesting.
No, You don't suck. You did a really good job.

helene

Oh I totally get what he means.... but when I first watched it.... I was boiling mad, couldn't believe that he would do that to his own child... but then I became relief when i found out it was just a story, just a joke. But still, I get the concept of the story, the meaning of it.

Thanks, Karissa, for the translation. Very thought provoking video. I was particularly struck with the description of the grandparents being overjoyed. It's rejecting the deaf parents. It's means, "Thank God that the kid's not like you." Sad.

As a mom, I would be freaked out about putting something in a toddler's head. Freaked out enough to not do it. My kids are hearing now but may lose their hearing in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks, Karissa, for the translation. Very thought provoking video. I was particularly struck with the description of the grandparents being overjoyed. It's rejecting the deaf parents. It's means, "Thank God that the kid's not like you." Sad.

As a mom, I would be freaked out about putting something in a toddler's head. Freaked out enough to not do it. My kids are hearing now but may lose their hearing in the future.

I kinda went thru that. When my mom got pregnant with her ex boyfriend when I was 16 years old, he kept expressing how he hopes the baby wont be like my deaf brother and I. When he was born and they tested his hearing and came out normal, he jumped up and down for joy calling everyone saying "My baby is NOT deaf!!!!" As a 16 year old, that left a last negative impression and at the time, I was struggling with trying to be hearing like my peers, so when that happened, it just sent me a message that I wasnt good enough.

That's why I totally understand where this guy is coming from...totally.

However, thank god, I overcame my insecurities about my deafness and now, it doesnt bother me and I am just as good as any hearing person.

I kinda went thru that. When my mom got pregnant with her ex boyfriend when I was 16 years old, he kept expressing how he hopes the baby wont be like my deaf brother and I. When he was born and they tested his hearing and came out normal, he jumped up and down for joy calling everyone saying "My baby is NOT deaf!!!!" As a 16 year old, that left a last negative impression and at the time, I was struggling with trying to be hearing like my peers, so when that happened, it just sent me a message that I wasnt good enough.

That's why I totally understand where this guy is coming from...totally.

However, thank god, I overcame my insecurities about my deafness and now, it doesnt bother me and I am just as good as any hearing person.

aww i couldnt believe that he said that in front of you. it shows how much he wasn't thinking or considerate of others obviously.

aww i couldnt believe that he said that in front of you. it shows how much he wasn't thinking or considerate of others obviously.

He was a major asshole..plain and simple. Thank god my mom got rid of him.

Back