My RIGHTS to keep my Hearing Dog....

OK i had to step in just to let you know my dog is not a hearing dog but she knew i was deaf, so she doesnt bark at me, and doesn't growl she PAWS me when she needs to go outside and then she runs in and sits next to me which means someones at my drive way, i have a VERY loud little poi name maxi oh she YAPS until someone comes up and clams her down. so shes my alert dog in a way she knows im deaf but have some redsuial hearing in a sense. she can echo a house so fast that i'll wonder wtf that was she knows how to get my attention too with a nudge or whining right next to my ear imagine that.... maxi and lilo trained on sense knowing someone in the household is Deaf and will alert anyone... they stay next to me when my parents or friends arent around. so this helps me feel safe yet alerted as well... they all know sign to sit, pee/poo, and down and i blow the whistle for them to come to me when i need them to come they go running off to the jungle to do thier business. other than that thier a happy go lucky dogs who go everywhere with me, i can handle myself inside the store. and u know what i dropped my keys one time and lilo WOULDN'T move i was like huh come on she wont budge so i she sniffed at the ground and i followed her head, and saw i had dropped my keys and i say good girl. she knows how to do these and thats my Aloha Dog!!!!

they did this on thier own i didn't train them!

Liebling:-))) said:
As what you say Hearing assistance dogs are not guide dogs... What exactly we deafies need hearing dogs if they are not "guide"???
Hearing assistance dogs alert people to sounds, such as alarms, yelling, cars, babies crying, etc.

For your information, I don´t stay home all the time as well... I work 8 hours a day in everyday.
Yes, I know that you don't stay home all day but most of your assistive equipment does. I was trying to explain that assistive equipment is great but it's not all mobile like a dog is.

okay let me explain about LAWS for hearing, companion, assistance and Seeing dogs...
From what i know since i have companion Dog nothing else which was being approved by doctor s prescription.. after my full exam..
hearing and seeing and assistance usually being trained by agency dont all you agree? they gave them certified.. My dog is" companion dog" which is not "certified" because he has not gone thru agency training since they refused WILLING to help me train him learn part hearing training all they said to me for me to replace my dog and get theirt choice dog.. which i refused.. i preferred MY DOG INSTEAD OF THEIRS because i feelt comfortable around him i like his doings.. but its okay if he dont get certified i aint complaining.. BUT he cant go in any buildings no matter what because of not being "cerfiried" my dog is only being approved by doctor of mine..
I couldnt explain why but truth is its about YOU and your comfort .. sometimes people doesnt give any respect .. as for dogs.. honestly dogs really something else you wouldnt know what they know this minute you get him.. ITS ABOUT LOVE AND TRUST..
as for CI and dogs or cats i call them being self centered people which its truth.... if you love yourself being deaf like chit happens but move on.. comeon its same thing to animals if they just happen like this love them no matter what they are just same as you.. dont ya see ? how can i explain?

Catz
If you have written statement from doctor your service dog may go ANY WHERE you go! Point blank!
LMM has friends that trained their dog to be their service dog for them. They order specail pack.. One of friends even made there pack, Which is legal if your dog is a service dog. Now if you don't have written staement from a doctor then you can be fine for false statement of service dog.
Hearing dogs you may not just go to pet store to buy specail color leash. You have order these leashes from specail company! This way people just can't go to pet store buy leash & say my dog's a hearing dog! Same with guild dog's handle leash .

LMM do know her laws about her dog. She keep up to date with org. On about new laws & rights for them. Her dog doesn't always wear her pack. LMM will have her card in hand , incase someone stop them. She show law book. But after see her card, Most time she don't have trouble. Believe me one who do make fuss, She go into detail about laws & rights.

LMM

hey LMM
before you started accuse me of making false statements.... dont ever asume until you ask me nicely.. who say i go store and get him collar and service coat??? i know i never say that and i actually do have prescpription from doctor.. my dog dont have service collar or anything...
my advice for you before yous tep up and start accuse someone.. ask first before you start anything that way you will know which facts which aint...

Sighs! I have to say this because it bothers me to see this terminology of Hearing Dog as a MEDICAL issue. I feel offended by this because it makes the sounds that we are having a disease in our deafness and so helpless. It s reminds me of being so control by this kind of attitude that you are trying to do those animals alike what people did it to our d/Deaf children 's true identity and our hands to be tied. Thats not a Love and Bond relationship.

It s too limitation for us deafies with oral speaking only at home or mainstream school alike it doesnt allow me who I am with my own dog whatever I can give my love to a dog. It s no such a thing about being independent to have a "Hearing Dog". After all you have HA and CI devices. I dont understand why do I need it while I am legally deaf with no hearing aid and can speak good. Thats enough for me to do all that dirty work for them because I feel that they need to work with us. No matter what you like it or not!

I wont mind to pay for the dog license for rabies. That would be enough for me to pay some of it while I can train my own dog that I love very much.. Dog has the right to feel free to be him/herself with a good discipline like d/Deaf children's true identity. It doesnt cost too much for deafies.

Everything you charged that is outrageous because we do not deserve to enable hearing people to make money after our deafies invented their own ideas. It is not belong to you (hearing people) but make a greedy money on us that turns me off in a big time.

We have to get the prescription from the Doctor who is nice enough to use that terminology Compansion dog. That is audist attitude s rules after all we are legally deaf all our lives as they knew. So what is your point for us to pay expenses to make you rich and has still not succeed to accept me and other deafies as A legally deaf with no hearing aid yet. They are so clever that they are trying to make us disappear that we are capable to be independent in this society because we are a big survival group.

Hearing dog and Hearing Product are the purpose for hearing people who have their hearing loss. They dont think of us for that reason . They dont want you to feel good about yourself. Thats turns me off in a big time.

Something need to be change the attitude that they could say Deaf Products and Communication accessories.. that would be more respectful to use the terminology Deaf as well. People will learn and understand how to accept themselves when they are with any deafies in this society. There is no reason to hide the terminology of "Deaf". Too much Hearing Hearing that turns me off.

Thats why I felt so offended by the whole thing here. I am Deaf and proud of it. Nothing to be ashamed of your own deafness.

Oh well somebody gotta to say.. ;)

Take care!
Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:
Sighs! I have to say this because it bothers me to see this terminology of Hearing Dog as a MEDICAL issue. I feel offended by this because it makes the sounds that we are having a disease in our deafness and so helpless.
Are you "offended" when you use any other ADA right? Are you offended when you use any technology that provides you more access or makes communication easier? Are you offended when you use an interpreter, Relay, VRS, or open/closed captions? Do you refuse to use any of the above because they offend you?

If someone else wants to use a dog, why should that offend you? That is their choice, not your's.

... After all you have HA and CI devices. I dont understand why do I need it while I am legally deaf with no hearing aid and can speak good.
Some people use HA and CI, some do not. Some use dogs, some do not. That is an individual's choice. No one said that you "need to" use a dog.

Dog has the right to feel free to be him/herself with a good discipline like d/Deaf children's true identity. ..
Personally, I find if offensive to compare dogs with children.

...Thats why I felt so offended by the whole thing here. I am Deaf and proud of it. Nothing to be ashamed of your own deafness.
I really don't understand why you think people are ashamed of their deafness just because they use dogs. I don't see any "shame" in that at all.

Personally, I find if offensive to compare dogs with children.
Absoultely right , Reba. Now how do d/Deaf children who are not functionally hearing who feels that we couldnt be independent with our hands that I am trying to point that out clear. Thats what audist attitude is trying to do those d/Deaf babies/toddler for a real wrong reason.

First of all my point is about not being helpless is well made. Also "every way to be independent" doesnt mean that every way is proper. And you are abusing to yourself that people thinks that u are not independent. What a joke!

Guess what : I could rob banks in order to " be independent" does that make robbing banks the right thing to do??? I think it s funny the way it seems to be.

My opinion of " hearing dogs" are that they are needed.. Deaf are visual and use vision to check things out.. There are flashing lights for doorbells, vibrating alarm clocks, etc etc u can name it.. A " hearing dog gives the message that the person is disabled. Things can be done like rearranging furniture so that the deafie sees the doorway. However some deaf-blind could use the dog but not just a hearing dog. Many blind do not have dogs, so they are not needed. Many d/Deaf obviously do not have hearing dogs. So it's not needed for a deafie. Also having the hearing dog, the deafie DEPENDS on the dog for stuff, they themselves can do. Right, and you dont need a dog!!!

I do well without a dog. I know deafies who drive and do other stuff without a stupid hearing dog. A dog deaf is not needed. We can do other things such as pay attention to what's going on by our feelings that we have the right to adaption our deafness if you mind.

It seems to me that hearing people with audist attitude does not know a fricking thing about deafies getting by without the dog.

Deafies got by before hearing dogs were even thought of. If you mind we have the right to have a companion dog for our protection as well as for hearing people too. So I know some hearing people are terrified with the noise pollution and couldnt figure it out what s it .. So they have the companion dog that will help them too for health reason that I can accept that.

Some deafies are being so selfish and greedy after all they think they are not disabed I m too confused to figure this out why would they thumb down on everything that we deafies tried to do for the better role model of being legally deaf into a very positive outlookl. So that way we can help hearing parents to change the negtive views about us and our hands instead of forcing those d/Deaf children to speak alone. There are still out there in this society people have no respect for d/Deaf children s rights and our Deaf languages. I think I got all figured this out that oralist are saying they are not disables yet. They want stuff like the Hearing dog which makes them disabled. I find these people who are lost in space and doesnt know what they are talking about.

This is a real good reason for Hearing and d/Deaf - blind need to have a hearing/sighted dog. They cannot see or hear with their devices that are still not functionally hearing.

The money issue that hearing people make money on us for years and years. Our deafies who invented/ created that it make the difference for Hearing and Deaf people to have a good relationship and good communication. And Hearing people abused deafies in many ways because Deaf community is a very poor financial crisis. They stole everything that we deafies did it on our own independent. You dont give a damn about us deafies with ASL and their strongest independent in the past. Since we have d/Deaf - Blind or Vision impairment people have their rights to have ASL that they used a tactlie sign language relates to ASL in this society as well as they are the one part of our diversity if you mind. NO wonder it s easy way for audist attitude to destroy our independent. I find this is a real outrageous.

If they do not think they are disabled then why would they want something that a "disabled" person would have??? Would a Hearing person have a hearing dog?? I THINK NOT. Thats why I said Deaf dog (lol) that does not match tho.

d/Deaf children in todays are very lucky to have all Deaf products that we can be equal communication and can be very independent than depend on Hearing 's help if you mind.

I find a lot of hearing people dont bother to buy Deaf products in this society because it s too expensive for them which I don t blame them. So it has not change much today's. Other thing is I feel if Hearing want to communicate with us so therefore get their arses to learn ASL instead of depend on interpreter that we dont have to take the responsibility to communicate for their sake. So therefore they are not independent or respect deafies in this society. Many audist attitude doesnt want to pay for it because it s way too expensive to hire the interpreter. So therefore why do we still have a problem with our orally speaking every single day? It doesnt make any sense for all d/Deafies must speak in their deaf voices or listening the devices that makes u as functionally hearing.

So are we responsibility for their barrier of communication while we didnt ?. Many people dont like the relay to call or having a interpreter on the job or anywhere else. So heck with you after all I have worked so hard to learn how to speak from my deaf vocal and hands to speak for hearing people. So what do deafies get? NOTHING in many ways.

We all are still SUFFER for nothing and giving it too much for them so what about us and our needs that is necessary for ASL as one language and Signed English as one language that most deafies are using PSE with orally speaking .. So why do we need all that artificial languages at first place? They are making money as well as it screw deafies up badly by audist attitude people. Thats our Deaf Rights if you mind that should be on the record in ADA. It has never done at all. Scoffs!

Everything relates to audist attitude that turns me and many deafies off in big time..

Think twice before u are hurting our d/Deaf children s future not to be independent. or unable to have their deaf adaption.

I feel so good that I am legally (D)eaf and capable to communicate between Hearing and Deaf people without devices.

Have a good day!

Sweetmind

DoofusMama said:
Right now, Rocky have improved so much.. He now is housebroken :dance: finally.. since i watched dog whisperer shows.. about leash, barking & etc.. we worked with Rocky since 2 weeks.. OMG it showed alot improved and doing great.. Since he been trained, he picks up to help me like.. alert when kids are aguring.. he interupt in and barks at them, then came back to me.. sit by me.. looked at me.. I knew something is wrong.. and.. he alert when the baby is crying.. he sit by them and looked at them.. lol.
whatever constant noise that I didnt reply to.. like timer on oven, smoke alarm, clock alarm.. he bugged me.. but didnt show me which.. but he walks up and down the stairs.. (smoke alarm senstive went off upstair).. so i knew right away..

really, you can do train little things.. main imporant that give pently energy and walk.. dog will become a calm... Since.. Rocky is still "ON GO" because he is cattledog mix.. hes so energertic .. I saw on dog whisperer show that Ceaser put backpack on dog's back with one or two water bottles.. to wear down the energy.. so the dog will not misbehavior at home becuse bored.. I am going to buy that packback soon.. :)

It appears to me that Rocky is already your hearing dog and it's time to put him to work. You have succeeded at training your own hearing dog and Rocky needs to come with you now everywhere you go. If you need help, pm me and I'll give you my cell number and me and Snickers will come by and help, okay?

LMM said:
Catz
If you have written statement from doctor your service dog may go ANY WHERE you go! Point blank!
LMM has friends that trained their dog to be their service dog for them. They order specail pack.. One of friends even made there pack, Which is legal if your dog is a service dog. Now if you don't have written staement from a doctor then you can be fine for false statement of service dog.
Hearing dogs you may not just go to pet store to buy specail color leash. You have order these leashes from specail company! This way people just can't go to pet store buy leash & say my dog's a hearing dog! Same with guild dog's handle leash .

LMM do know her laws about her dog. She keep up to date with org. On about new laws & rights for them. Her dog doesn't always wear her pack. LMM will have her card in hand , incase someone stop them. She show law book. But after see her card, Most time she don't have trouble. Believe me one who do make fuss, She go into detail about laws & rights.

LMM

LMM,

I have the feeling that you advocate that service dogs are to be "certified." This is something I will never support, not in a million years. The reason is because nincompoop doctors and audiologists seem not to "get it" when speaking with me and their lack of understanding leaves plenty to be desired. As for any "certificational paperwork," you need to stop showing people anything other than what the ADA says. A business establishment can only ask two questions...that is it. If you know your laws, you know this one and it's not debatable.

Furthermore, a cape or anything signifying a service dog is NOT required under the ADA. I no longer have Snickers wearing her cape because people ignore it and pet her anyway. No amount of talking and explaining to them helps. Now, a threat of a lawsuit on a business...THAT is what helps! :D

Reba said:
Assistance dogs are NOT "pets." They are trained to perform specific tasks.

Assistance dogs have access to facilities that "pets" do not. They are allowed in public buildings and transportation that pets are not allowed.

Just because some Deaf people don't need or want assistance dogs why criticize or restrict the choices of the Deaf people who DO want to use an assistance dog?

This is beginning to sound like another CI v. no-CI, oral v. ASL, etc., controversy. I don't understand why people just don't accept the fact that "one-size" DOESN'T fit all, and allow for a variety of choices, or even a combination of choices.

If even members of the Deaf community can't understand and support each other, how on earth do you expect the hearing world to understand or be supportive?

Reba, I concur. Some hoh/deaf don't want a dog or any other animal helping them, some do. There are about two environments that a service dog can't go into, but otherwise, they go everywhere.

LuvsInk said:
You are so off topic. This thread was about service dogs and the civil rights of their handlers. I think you should read the thread from the beginning and maybe then you can grasp what we all were talking about. You obviously have an agenda. Why not start your own thread about that. In the meantime, my dog Max and I will keep on truckin.

:gpost: I concur, LuvsInk!! Good answer, by the way. :thumb: This includes me and my dog, Snickers.

LuvsInk said:
Have you ever worked with a hearing dog? Do you have any idea as to what they do? First, they are completely obedience trained to behave their very best in public. Second, they alert to many things other than just doors. I work with a hearing dog by choice. Don't critisize me or others who work with hearing dogs because you don't need one. I was born and lived most my life hearing and now I can't and the transition is difficult on me. I chose to use what was available to me to assist me to be more independent. Were you ever hearing, if so, did you wear hearing aids? If you did wear hearing aids whats the difference from you using hearing aids and my using a hearing dog since hearing aids don't work for me? One size doesn't fit all. Everyone copes the best they can and should be applauded for coping and not giving up no matter what means they take to get there. I'm not hurting you or anyone else because I have a hearing dog. The deaf community will never get laws or attitudes changed until they quit bickering amoungst themselves and form an united front. "The needs of the many outway the needs of the few." I applaude anyone who makes the effort to be independent and stand on their own no matter what means available to them they chose to use. As for the money it costs to maintain a service dog, there are programs that assist the financially stapped handlers with everything from Advantage for fleas to medical bills for their service dogs.

I also have to chime in and ask if Sweetmind has ever had to sit in the back of a classroom because some pigs INSIST on sitting in the front row...and the second...and the third and to heck with the person that can't hear? Especially in a Bible College setting? I have. This poster is new, so we need to remember that in our responses and give this person time to establish his/her ethos here.

The only thing that Sweetmind said that was true is that not all hoh/deaf want a hearing dog. That is their own perogative and to each his/her own. I'm a guy and it sure as heck helps to have a big dog accompanying me everywhere I go, gives any prospective thug a second chance to think if they want to rob me or jump me.

It s so sad to see this happens.. So you knew better not to get on the track that is the rule. So Dont need to point that out for the whole reason for it.. So We do not need a hearing dog but companion dog that will help for everyone if they wish to have a companion dog that does give a good natural thing for you. No big deal to point that out on d/Deaf people only.. Thanks! I dont need a artificial hearing dog. I rather to have a companion dog as a human being.

It goes for both hearing and deaf people who already got killed by the trains while they were walking on the track. Thats why the parents tried to tell them dont get on the track at all.

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

I also have to chime in and ask if Sweetmind has ever had to sit in the back of a classroom because some pigs INSIST on sitting in the front row...and the second...and the third and to heck with the person that can't hear?

OH yes it happens to me many times. That s why it s the best thing to have the round or good curve table for us to see each other while we discussed in the classrooms. I am speaking of hearing High school or College, most classrooms dont have it. It s pain in the butt to move around the desks every single day. It s waste of our time to lose our precious education in the classrooms.. Sighs!!!

Oh man, I will be very very upset and outspoken about it. It will be too much distraction for deafies in the classroom while dog doesnt sit still like a statue. I couldnt not see how could everyone demand to have a hearing dog in the classrooms that is their right to have it.. So where is my right not letting anyone to have their dogs in the classrooms. It will more more creative problems that is not necessary. Thats why I dont agree with a hearing dog law completely.

I feel that d/Deaf- Blind or Vision impairment has their right to have their hearing/sighted dog. It s a very good reason for them to have it while we do not have a very good reason to have this kind of law. U can get the prescription for a companion dog from the Doctor who is willing to do it for you.

Thanks! Pek ;)

Sweetmind

Sweetmind said:
...Oh man, I will be very very upset and outspoken about it. It will be too much distraction for deafies in the classroom while dog doesnt sit still like a statue.
Service dogs are trained to sit or lie quietly. I remember one lady at our church using a dog, and he was so quiet during church services that most people didn't even realize he was there.

If you think that the dog is "distracting" I guess hearing students could use that same excuse against having sign language terps in the class room, so I wouldn't go there if I were you.

CAN you imagine that all deaf people have a dog in the classrooms?? oh please?.. We deafies are not that helpless as you think .. thank you

Well I can see people disrespect for deafies who is very easily distraction by a little thing that moves. If you mind! Thats what HA did this to me and wire up in my eyes/ brain works. I do not hear one sound in the room but many sounds I heard that it s a noisy pollution and pain in the butt. Sighs! Thats interfere my learning process.. Audist attitude peopel dont know a shyte about us deafies thats including doctor,too.

Also I didnt like interpreter in the classroom very well if you mind.. Thats why I prefer ASL teacher in the classroom that makes me get going to learn more than force me to read their lips or listen those stupid devices while many hearing teacher doesnt sign too well and have a gutter sign language that relates to artitifical languages SCoffs!.. It gets me falling asleep as usual. SIGHS again. Again I didnt have my rights at all that what it pissed me off after all people have no respect my and deafies needs or our rights.

I m using my importance of my eyes and hands as always that works for me you dont mind. I didnt have my rights. I will not use my deaf voices with other deaf voices because I am not hearing or functionlly hearing. Thank you! I feel being so rude for any deafies speak only while I am around. Thats the same concept with hearing people. So there!

I m not just saying that the dog moves around. Dog's sneeze or lick their paws .. stuff like that.. thats normal typical for dog. You cannot make them not to move at all. For god s sake.

Please stop using your own excuses.!

Thank you!
Sweetmind

I have a hearing dog and am proud of it. You drop your keys you go ahead and search for them cause when I drop mine I know instantly and I don't have to spend hours looking for them. When an ambulance suddenly turns up behind me I know it before it gets there and have ample time to pull over. Using my hearing dog is my life choice and I love it. When the baby wakes up I know it instantly. Don't need a monitor that I can't hear, got one with four legs that comes gets me. Not to mention that with his bright orange vest it is announcing I'm hearing impaired. I'm not hiding anything. For those of you that don't have a hearing dog and don't want one, I don't mind. So, why should you mind if I have one? My dog is better behaved than most people's kids. And, until we leave a table, most people don't even know he is there. The ADA says I have the right to work with a service dog and their laws apply to everyone, even deaf people who disagree with my right to have him. So quit squawking and get over it. Having my hearing dog doesn't make me any less deaf, just makes it easier for me to function. My choice, my right and I exercise that right freely. :popcorn:

Back