My RIGHTS to keep my Hearing Dog....

:laugh2: That's a hoot, steph! One day earlier last year, I was walking Snickers and came across a small hobby farm and a horse in the field. The horse came running up to the fence, just to see Snickers. The two of them did run the fence line once, but after Snickers realized how big that horse was and that he (or she?) nipped at her tail, she wanted nothing more to do with that horse. The horse was really friendly and I just regret that I didn't have my camera along.

On another note, just before Snickers became my hearing dog, we were out driving nearby our (then) home and came across a pasture of dairy cows. Snickers was in the backseat, straining her head out the window, whining at them. Honestly, those cows literally came running up to the fence line to hear her and, at times, were nodding their heads up and down. I am not kidding! The roadside was muddy, as it just finished raining, but if I could have, I would have let her out, just to say hi to the cows. I know they wouldn't have stampeded or injured her. A year ago, she wasn't successful in getting a large bull in north Texas to come over to the fence line. He was monster-size!

By the way, Snickers came with the name from the humane society.

I understand your perspective however I disagree with you. It is ADA law to require for a Dog to have a Dog Certificate as a Hearing Dog. I'm not trying to change for those people who train their own dogs however the ADA Law passed and requires for Dog Certificate as a Hearing Dog. I don't see any wrong for anyone to train dogs on their own however it is just that the ADA Law passed and requires for Dog Certificate.

If I didn't have Dog Certificate as Hearing Dog...The Landlord wouldn't allow me to keep my dog 4 years ago....So, the landlord was trapped and saw that I had Dog Certificate...she couldn't do anything about it...so now...she is fighting for me to get kick out of my place and I am fighting my rights to keep my dog and my place also!

Put up with your fight against your landlord but don't do it yourself. Get a lawyer who is familar with ADA law. Many services offers. No win=No fee. Meaning if you win, your lawyer will get a fee out of your landlord. Do it now before it gets too late.

Secondly. Please, be advised ADA law does not require certification for assistance dogs. I tell you you dont need it. This morning, I took my 5 months old American Pitbull Terrier to Costco and they were angry with me for bringing my dog in and I told them that I am training my dog to become service/assistance dog. They were silenced and didn't say a word. They knew of ADA violation after their training.

Good on Costco!

. . . This morning, I took my 5 months old American Pitbull Terrier to Costco and they were angry with me for bringing my dog in and I told them that I am training my dog to become service/assistance dog. They were silenced and didn't say a word. They knew of ADA violation after their training.

Good on Costco!

Costco should know better, just like Wal*Mart. I've been chased around in the dirtiest of businesses to be told that dogs aren't allowed in. One business owner who said that to me I told him my dog was cleaner than his floor was. He had to laugh and agree. Then, no further problems if and only if ADA is explained for service animals. When I've gotten disagreement before, I've called the police. No brainer, company backs down really fast. Hmm . . . can't imagine why? :confused::dance2: I won the battle and also won the war!

Put up with your fight against your landlord but don't do it yourself. Get a lawyer who is familar with ADA law. Many services offers. No win=No fee. Meaning if you win, your lawyer will get a fee out of your landlord. Do it now before it gets too late.

Secondly. Please, be advised ADA law does not require certification for assistance dogs. I tell you you dont need it. This morning, I took my 5 months old American Pitbull Terrier to Costco and they were angry with me for bringing my dog in and I told them that I am training my dog to become service/assistance dog. They were silenced and didn't say a word. They knew of ADA violation after their training.

Good on Costco!

Costco should know better, just like Wal*Mart. I've been chased around in the dirtiest of businesses to be told that dogs aren't allowed in. One business owner who said that to me I told him my dog was cleaner than his floor was. He had to laugh and agree. Then, no further problems if and only if ADA is explained for service animals. When I've gotten disagreement before, I've called the police. No brainer, company backs down really fast. Hmm . . . can't imagine why? :confused::dance2: I won the battle and also won the war!

Are both of your dogs marked?

Meaning that they have leash or 'jacket that says, "hearing dog" ?

Are both of your dogs marked?

Meaning that they have leash or 'jacket that says, "hearing dog" ?

Its on leash, always! Jacket or not, ADA does not specific states that. However, it is my responsibility to ensure that my dog is well trained

I live in Canada. So I am not sure if the laws are the same and I am having difficulty fiinding information regarding my rights. According to PADS and Lions Club of Canada, the dog must be certified by them in order to have public access.

I would much rather train my own dog to assist me than to obtain a dog from an association.

The reason for this is because from my understanding; I could be wrong
1) The dog will never legally belong to me
2) I am required to take the dog with me everywhere and it must wear a Jacket
3) No choice over breed
4) 2 Year waiting list
5) Frequent visits to my home to make sure I am properly using my dog as a hearing dog not family pet.

Too many rules and regulations to list which irritates me. I am a grown adult not a child. I have asked them if it would be okay if I trained my own dog and have them test him to see if he meets requirements. They said no way, it has to be their choice of dog, their training methods and get rid of my german shephard puppy.

Over the years I have unintentionally learned to block out flashing lights that alert me to sounds and my vibrating alarm clock. So needless to say I no longer answer the door, phone or even wake up on time, lol.

Although I do have hearing children they attend school during the day and my husband works. I spend majority of the day at home alone. A dog would be useful in my situation and not only act as a hearing dog but as a companion and protector. I guess my question would be when my puppy grows up how can I certify him...or do I even have to do that?

Ginette:
Your posting regarding Canada had me curious...

It appears that the law varies from province to province...but I am also aware of international service dog rules as well as my best friend is blind and uses a service dog.

Here is a link I found. I would probably suggest contacting a disabilities lawyer who is familiar with the law...they'd be better able to steer you in the right direction.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cascgs/htm/Canada.htm

My old VR suggest me to get a hearing dog guide for RP and deaf. I told her. I don't need it. Why I should to have a hearing dog guide?? I don't like the breed of Retriever with fur shedding. I prefer non shedding. I have my own dog right now. She is fine and have no problem at all. She know I am deaf. She will tell me when she hear something.

coloravalanche,

Would you listen, please? You do NOT need a certificate "certifing" your dog as a hearing dog. It is NOT REQUIRED under the ADA and never will be, but people like you are trying to change that for those of us who train our own dogs. :thumbd: Knock it off already, okay?

Right on Pek1-I will be training my own dog soon.

Even though the ADA specifically doesnt contain any language regarding certification for service animals. Many public agencies still ask for it especially HUD when they calculate the 'spend downs' in determining the eligibility for assistance.

And in the case of housing, building and apartment owners and their lawyers have been successful in getting what they want because the animal doesnt have a certificate or any 3rd party acknowledgement the service animal is for real.

In legal situations a certification stands better than your own words that the animal you have is a genuine service animal.

I'm speaking from a lot of experience in the courtrooms.

Richard

Quite true, I forgot about state and local laws.

I work with seeing eye dogs, so its not surprising to hear about acceptance of service animals, some are accute about the possibility of others rigging a regular dog as a service animal, many just don't know how to approach the situation and end up with false accusations that a disabled person is breaking the law. In general, a service animal is allowed in all public places, anywhere the public has access to. The exception is private or restricted property. Because your landlord owns the property, they have the right to say otherwise, unless a clause in the leasing agreement specifies pets allowed or not. This is considered a private residence, not a public place. What makes it more difficult is that your place is tied to HUD policies, so seeing a lawyer to clear this up is in your best interest. Don't let it get to the point where the landlord gets the assistance of the law to evict you, clear it up ASAP!

Florida state law allows all publics (like store, mall, groceries, & other public places), schools (private & public), colleges, universities to allow guide, hearing, & service dogs only and you have valid service, guide dog trained certificate.

I was in Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind (as FSDB) Student 1984-1992 . I have seen one deaf & blind employee have certified guide see & hearing dog and few blind student does have guide dog in school.

also I had one deaf ex-girlfriend lives in Ormond Beach & currently live New Port Richey, FL She had a retired hearing dog name is Gator that Gator is black poodle dog right now his eye was got blind. Gator is living with ex-girlfriend's older sister in Plant City, FL.

Back