My new dog

Finlay wore a collar , leash and orange jacket the said he was a 'hearing' dog and you would not believe how many people asked me if I was blind or if my dog was a service dog! I had to finally get his jacket off as jackass people where trying to block my way to read the jacket or following me out of a the store. One jackass mother let her little boy put his arm under my dog jacket and pull on it! If my dog had bitten the jackass's kid it would had been my fault. You really have to made sure your service dog is very well trained as people will try to step over your dog or let their bratty kids bug your dog.
Some idiots thought my beautiful black standard poodle was a toy and where to step right on him when he was laying down! Finlay was trained not move when a person stepped over him, this is really importance to train a service dog if you plan on taking him/her shopping or eating out with you.
Your dog can't move, bark, or growl when a person steps over him .

As bold as I am I will push someone away from my dog as well as myself, and stepping over my dog... I was defending my dog, self defense! You dont know if they were going to step on a paw/tail..ect...
Years ago, I was in line at the checkout with my mom, a lady behind us kept ramming her cart into me from behind. I ignored it the first 4 or 5 times, but then she started hitting me harder with the cart, so I turned and said EXCUSE ME !, she looked at me then shoved the cart into me again, now, my mom sees what she is doing and asks whats the problem, the lady gives her a funny look and hits me with the cart with enough force to move me this time... now this is a fully loaded cart she has. I turned around and told my mom, she hits me again, hell is gonna break loose, and so she does, this time got my ankle pretty good and hurt like hell.... yes, I got loud and made a scene. The management came and all, she started saying I was bothering her...WTF? So, off to the office to view the camera film, yup.... police arrested her for assault and harrassment since she did it so many times and so forceful. idiots dont realize what is waiting for them.

Now, if your dog bit someone because they came and bothered it... you have a recourse, use the film... NO ONE is supposed to touch a service animal without permission ! PERIOD !!!!

I believe you can treat it as trespassing or assault to defend yourself and your service animal, make sure to have a do not pet/touch patch or ask before petting patch on the jacket... that is your defense.

Just to clairify things, Alaskian Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are a breed of wolves themselves.

Derek, its a Malamute, they are Big, Husky are small like short legged Labradors. Malamute are quite hard to control, train, and you'd have to be very very careful (not picking blindly which 95% do) but with expery (and I MEAN expert knowledge and experience not from the 'sellers expertise either!) its the new owner. trainer/guardian who , in my opinion have to have had at least 20 + years experience with large dog or high energy dog experience (and that not even counting farm dogs (farmm dogs have high trainabiliy) im talking about dogs with high poteantial to guard or attack). It would eb really stupid or even foolish to fantatisise about owning one of those, unless you have NOTHING else in your life and well prepared yes, try but please with at least10 years of experience with more difficult dogs, plus and i mean experince , and i dont mean 10 years of 'no hassles' i mean ten solid year, like 10 years of full time animal shelter work or such or police dog training, that sort of thing (5 years of the solid would be ok so long its professional grade, not home bragging stunt). Malamute are considered (and rightly) as dangerous breed, they seem calm big giants like Great Danes..but they have more potential and less forgiving of mishaps form children or mistreatment or confused training with contradictions...i know what im saying there i worked volunteer at dog shelter for 4 years (it now closed due to too freq parvo outbreak - so its now just kennel boarding sevice , so no unvaccinated doorrgs are able to enter.

Yes Malamutes are enormous, but ive seen full size wolves and they are at least TWICE as big as Malamute , wolves arent in horror books, movies for nothing, they are GIANTS!!, im talking about 2 -3 X size of Great Danes here...INDEED, so I tend to think 'cross breed' touted now and again are kind of bullshit...or much more rare than they'd admit...

G

Derek, its a Malamute, they are Big, Husky are small like short legged Labradors. Malamute are quite hard to control, train, and you'd have to be very very careful (not picking blindly which 95% do) but with expery (and I MEAN expert knowledge and experience not from the 'sellers expertise either!) its the new owner. trainer/guardian who , in my opinion have to have had at least 20 + years experience with large dog or high energy dog experience (and that not even counting farm dogs (farmm dogs have high trainabiliy) im talking about dogs with high poteantial to guard or attack). It would eb really stupid or even foolish to fantatisise about owning one of those, unless you have NOTHING else in your life and well prepared yes, try but please with at least10 years of experience with more difficult dogs, plus and i mean experince , and i dont mean 10 years of 'no hassles' i mean ten solid year, like 10 years of full time animal shelter work or such or police dog training, that sort of thing (5 years of the solid would be ok so long its professional grade, not home bragging stunt). Malamute are considered (and rightly) as dangerous breed, they seem calm big giants like Great Danes..but they have more potential and less forgiving of mishaps form children or mistreatment or confused training with contradictions...i know what im saying there i worked volunteer at dog shelter for 4 years (it now closed due to too freq parvo outbreak - so its now just kennel boarding sevice , so no unvaccinated doorrgs are able to enter.

Yes Malamutes are enormous, but ive seen full size wolves and they are at least TWICE as big as Malamute , wolves arent in horror books, movies for nothing, they are GIANTS!!, im talking about 2 -3 X size of Great Danes here...INDEED, so I tend to think 'cross breed' touted now and again are kind of bullshit...or much more rare than they'd admit...

G

Malamutes can weigh between 75-95 pounds, Huskies can weight between 60-80 pounds, yes huskies are smaller (slimmer) but not much difference, Malamutes can get (look) hughe because of the coat, in the cold weather they get a heavier coat and look alot bigger. When they shed in the warm weather you can practically pull a whole nother dog out of them weekly....lol

sonocativo that line:

"Just to clairify things, Alaskian Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are a breed of wolves themselves. "

is quite incorrect and inaccurate.

dogs and wolves are behaviorally and mentally very different animals.
there are no wolf "breeds".

the origin of the dog as we know today is somewhat in dispute also in terms of whether or when they may have evolved from wolves. Some researches don't believe there is a direct line of descent from wolves to today's dog.

The Nordic breeds like the Husky, Mal, Eskimo dog etc are the way they are because they were bred to be very rugged, independent bold and athletic. They can be aloof and they were bred to work in very dangerous conditions for long periods. Grumm is right in that they as a group can be more challenging and are not for novice people.

Wolves vary in size but the Alaskan Gray wolf is generally quite large with longer legs than any of the Nordic dogs, smaller ears in proportion to the face, bigger paws and other physical differences.

sonocativo that line:

"Just to clairify things, Alaskian Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are a breed of wolves themselves. "

is quite incorrect and inaccurate.

dogs and wolves are behaviorally and mentally very different animals.
there are no wolf "breeds".

the origin of the dog as we know today is somewhat in dispute also in terms of whether or when they may have evolved from wolves. Some researches don't believe there is a direct line of descent from wolves to today's dog.

The Nordic breeds like the Husky, Mal, Eskimo dog etc are the way they are because they were bred to be very rugged, independent bold and athletic. They can be aloof and they were bred to work in very dangerous conditions for long periods. Grumm is right in that they as a group can be more challenging and are not for novice people.

Wolves vary in size but the Alaskan Gray wolf is generally quite large with longer legs than any of the Nordic dogs, smaller ears in proportion to the face, bigger paws and other physical differences.
:lol: Hello my fellow dog trainer! I was going to point that out but decided it wasn't worth the likelihood of being called a bunch of filthy names.

Since I view you as somewhat more fragile and sheltered than myself, I will just put myself in the ring, so you won't suffer alone. :wave:

and if you read furthur in the articles siberian/malamute...they are preditors, will kill smaller dogs/animals if not properly trained or supervised. Preditory Instincts is not domestic, its a wild trait.

Here you go, scroll down and read Origin.... first line, Thank you.
Alaskan Malamute Information and Pictures, Alaskan Malamutes

Taking a chance on civilized discussion. And this is your only chance. One bit of nastiness, and I will not ever discuss with you again.

Malamutes, Siberians, Wolves, & Wolf-Dogs

This page was written with help from employees and researchers at Wolf Park and Bays Mountain Park and members of many lists, including WolfDogList, Malamute-L, Sibernet-L, and Sleddog-L. All mistakes are mine.

Purebred Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are not wolves, or part-wolves, were not bred from wolves, and these breeds were not developed by breeding to wolves anytime recently (that is a separate animal called a wolf-dog). Based on studies by Dr. Robert Wayne at UC Berkeley, sled dogs are no more closely related to wolves than Chihuahuas. There is very little genetic difference between any dog and any wolf, coyote, or jackal, etc., so little, in fact, that genetic tests cannot tell how much wolf is in deliberately bred wolf-dogs. The domesticated canines and their wild cousins CAN interbreed. However, pedigrees on Malamutes and Siberians are available back ~20 generations (to the early 1930s at least) and these dogs are not wolf crosses -- Malamutes are Malamutes, Siberians are Siberians.

Wolves & Wolf-dogs

So in effect, if you want to relate the northern breeds to wolf ancestors, you can, but the are no closer to a wolf than any other domestic dog breed.

Taking a chance on civilized discussion. And this is your only chance. One bit of nastiness, and I will not ever discuss with you again.

Wolves & Wolf-dogs

So in effect, if you want to relate the northern breeds to wolf ancestors, you can, but the are no closer to a wolf than any other domestic dog breed.

I agree Bottesini, if you read the article you posted it said " not bred with wolves recently" so the wolf traits are pretty much worn out and domesticated as a dog, My article states they were and are a breed of wolf ( from the past and domesticated over the years)
So its a narrow line if you get one from the place or origin or you get one from a breeder. Mine falls more into the domesticated dog I agree as it has been bred and domesticated over time. But you go to the point of origin you end up with a more dominant breed (wild).
There are DNA tests available to tell what breed/breeds of bloodline your pet has, but Im not going into that as Im not breeding mine. Now my so called ex has 2 full blooded Havaneese and she does the DNA due to the fact she does shows with the AKC and so on... she has won 1st and second in B matches and since she is just starting out with show dogs. both are AKC and other certs... Mine is a Designer breed ( Alusky) and should be getting papers in the mail soon. So far Storm has been learning her basic obiedience very well and Im happy with her.

I agree Bottesini, if you read the article you posted it said " not bred with wolves recently" so the wolf traits are pretty much worn out and domesticated as a dog, My article states they were and are a breed of wolf ( from the past and domesticated over the years)
So its a narrow line if you get one from the place or origin or you get one from a breeder. Mine falls more into the domesticated dog I agree as it has been bred and domesticated over time. But you go to the point of origin you end up with a more dominant breed (wild).
There are DNA tests available to tell what breed/breeds of bloodline your pet has, but Im not going into that as Im not breeding mine. Now my so called ex has 2 full blooded Havaneese and she does the DNA due to the fact she does shows with the AKC and so on... she has won 1st and second in B matches and since she is just starting out with show dogs. both are AKC and other certs... Mine is a Designer breed ( Alusky) and should be getting papers in the mail soon. So far Storm has been learning her basic obiedience very well and Im happy with her.

Good for Storm. I am curious when you previously said the vet is trying to save an eye? What is wrong with her eye?

Good for Storm. I am curious when you previously said the vet is trying to save an eye? What is wrong with her eye?

Apparently one of her siblings accidently scratched her eye trying to feed and it got infected, It was milky white, no color and blood pooled. She has been on 2 antibiotics, eye drops and ointment. So far since I had her it is clearing up since I took her in and got the meds. Vet wont know if the eyesight will be restored/partal vision or blind till I go back on the 30th. But I think its looking 100% better, the injured eye looks like it may be a green color Aluskies have ( Brown, hazel, gold, Blue, green, and Bi-colored eyes ) so I think hers will be Bi-colored but still unsure as a few days ago it looked blue-ish? Im hoping her eyesight is saved, vets couldnt tell if it was a scratch or puncture wound, and puppies have some rather sharp nails.

The pic of her laying down is recent, looking better than earlier pics
Storm with her sister, Storm in the front... The outlaws ( wifes parents bought her sister)

Attachments

• Photo606.jpg
    Photo606.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 6
Apparently one of her siblings accidently scratched her eye trying to feed and it got infected, It was milky white, no color and blood pooled. She has been on 2 antibiotics, eye drops and ointment. So far since I had her it is clearing up since I took her in and got the meds. Vet wont know if the eyesight will be restored/partal vision or blind till I go back on the 30th. But I think its looking 100% better, the injured eye looks like it may be a green color Aluskies have ( Brown, hazel, gold, Blue, green, and Bi-colored eyes ) so I think hers will be Bi-colored but still unsure as a few days ago it looked blue-ish? Im hoping her eyesight is saved, vets couldnt tell if it was a scratch or puncture wound, and puppies have some rather sharp nails.

The pic of her laying down is recent, looking better than earlier pics

I have a hard time seeing the detail in pictures. My parents raised Boston Terriers, and one sadly lost the sight in both eyes when one of her puppies accidentally bit her when playing. It migrated over from the eye that had been hurt. She was still a great dog, but just not a show dog any longer.

The medical treatments for pets are a lot more advanced these days, so with any luck she will be fine.

Thanks, Storm had alot of goopy stuff I had to clean out of her eye and put meds in every 3 hours... it could have been a bite as well but no one knows for sure. The breeder said they were feeding and heard a yelp and crying, and storm was the one injured so it wasnt a fight or anything, just a freak accident. Since the eye has been clearing up she hasnt been bashing her head on anything ( always running into anything on the right with the bad eye ) now she is clearing wall corners/table legs... so I feel she has her vision or at least some sight so far.

:wave:dog trainer friend Botti! :ty:

but in general response here....all dogs have predatory instinct/chase drive in varying degrees. doesn't make them wolves.

But I'm sorry to read about Storm's eye and am glad that she's doing a bit better!
my youngest Rottie developed an un-expected eye problem -" cherry eye", rare in the breed - as a young puppy which ended up needing corrective surgery. The vet optho said that the other eye was likely going to go that way, too and suggested to just take care of both eyes, which we did.
have fun with your new furry girl, Sonocativo!

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter about 10 years ago. They had a Malamute that was not friendly with another animals!!! Must be kept away from any other animals. Also had a husky. No one at shelter seemed to know if they were pure husky or husky/wolf hybrid so they asked a local wolf group for their opinion and as I understand it, it was not a wolf mix because of its face.

we've got in a few Huskies and Mal's at the shelter where I volunteer. As is often <not always> the case, people did not do their research and found that the dog is "bigger than they expected", "runs away", "howls" "kills small animals", "too hard to control" - all behaviors typical of the Northern breeds due to their history.

Wolves tend to have specific and sometimes subtle facial characteristics that are distinct and different from the Northern dog breeds.

I have a hard time seeing the detail in pictures. My parents raised Boston Terriers, and one sadly lost the sight in both eyes when one of her puppies accidentally bit her when playing. It migrated over from the eye that had been hurt. She was still a great dog, but just not a show dog any longer.

The medical treatments for pets are a lot more advanced these days, so with any luck she will be fine.

I knew a guy that gave his Samoyed Husky a bath and got the shampoo in the dogs eyes and that made the poor dog blind for life.

Back