My harddrive is FRIED!!

diehardbiker65 said:
These are generally Intel based PC, and they SUCKS! Sorry, I love AMD based PC.
It really depends on how often you turn it on and off. The more often you turn it on and off, the parts inside computers gets expanded and contracts and can wear out faster. What I mean is when it turns on, it heats up so everything expands, yes any wires, conductors, etc DO expands, and when you turn off, it cools down and shrinks. These can wear down PC anyway. So, really not that much difference in long run if you leave it on 24/7 or keep it on and off... I just like the convience of just get on my PC and do something than wait for it to boot up.
If your thinking electric bills would be high, not really. I have three PC up and running 24/7 and I got fancy fridge, and other fancy appliances that uses electricity considerable, and my normal electric bills is about 75 a month (This area has the highest electric rate [most expensive] in the USA).
Ummm... there are pros and cons to leaving the system on all of the time. Personally I turn my systems off when not in use and have NEVER had a problem with parts wearing out. The cons of leaving the system on are as follows; Power consumption. Even with the power saving features you are still eating a bit of power so your electric bill will be higher. That is assuming that you are using the power saving features. You also run the risk of getting your system damaged by a brown out or spike in the electric current say, during a storm or something like that. The other problem is if you have broadband (cable or DSL) your computer is exposed to hackers during the time it's on. You can disable the NIC when you are not online but most folks are not aware of how to do that. To me the only pro to leaving the system on is convienience. You don't have to wait while the system boots. JMYO

rockdrummer said:
Ummm... there are pros and cons to leaving the system on all of the time. Personally I turn my systems off when not in use and have NEVER had a problem with parts wearing out. The cons of leaving the system on are as follows; Power consumption. Even with the power saving features you are still eating a bit of power so your electric bill will be higher. That is assuming that you are using the power saving features. You also run the risk of getting your system damaged by a brown out or spike in the electric current say, during a storm or something like that. The other problem is if you have broadband (cable or DSL) your computer is exposed to hackers during the time it's on. You can disable the NIC when you are not online but most folks are not aware of how to do that. To me the only pro to leaving the system on is convienience. You don't have to wait while the system boots. JMYO

Hi there,

My both computers run 24/7, my electric bill still cheap less than 23 dollars a month and during summer session will go up to 42 to 46 dollars a month for a A/C usages..

On my tower, I turn off the monitor to save when not in use.. and my lappy have LCD power saver when I am away from the lappy. my linux have auto shut off on LCD after 5 minutes when not in use.. Everything connected on broadband internet with router's firewall build-in..

Both computers have a surge protection box. cable internet thru the surge protection box before it's goes to my cable modem and router box.

I already mentioned not much difference, meaning can't notice the difference anyway.

rockdrummer said:

TweetyBird said:
i mean ur computer down again.. that what i talked abt it

ohhhhh I got it now lol yeah but not really my harddrive is down till now fired and I have my computer is under my table it is working but the IP address blocked that wont let me enter which I dont know how to fix so I have to wait for my cousin's boyfriend when he have time which he is busy :).

I wonder why is your IP address blocked? that made me wonder? It does not happen to my Mac.

oh u mean "FIRED" and burnt ??

Geez, how did that happen ?

Probably from a bad fan wire ?

Y said:
oh u mean "FIRED" and burnt ??

Geez, how did that happen ?

Probably from a bad fan wire ?

oh I dont know before while I doing around on my photoshop and it went too slow to copy and paste, loading, something like that then went into black screen and it said I cant remember about click ctrl & R or soething that to repair or formmatting then I bring it to my school till the tech guy said there are lots of error mistake cant fix it then he fix more more which I dont trust him so I took my harddrive to my mom's best friend's husband to look up till he called my mom's home that it is fired that is all.

OIC. Amazing ! I never heard of hard drive got burned/fired.

Y said:
OIC. Amazing ! I never heard of hard drive got burned/fired.

i think its slang? yes it is slang. common sense?!?!? there smileygin's comment that have good example if you heard something noise that means damaged or bad.

starrygaze said:
i think its slang? yes it is slang. common sense?!?!? there smileygin's comment that have good example if you heard something noise that means damaged or bad.

oh, starrygaze, Can u hear anything ?

I'm stoned Deaf and
I NEVER heard of any Bombs in my entire life yet ;)

This does mean obviously that I cannot hear
anything from my own PC etc.

PowerWCRulez said:
Hi there,

My both computers run 24/7, my electric bill still cheap less than 23 dollars a month and during summer session will go up to 42 to 46 dollars a month for a A/C usages..

On my tower, I turn off the monitor to save when not in use.. and my lappy have LCD power saver when I am away from the lappy. my linux have auto shut off on LCD after 5 minutes when not in use.. Everything connected on broadband internet with router's firewall build-in..

Both computers have a surge protection box. cable internet thru the surge protection box before it's goes to my cable modem and router box.
I agree that if you take certian measures, it's ok to leave it on. Turn on all of the power saving features with UPS and firewall should suffice.

DeafMonkey said:
oh I dont know before while I doing around on my photoshop and it went too slow to copy and paste, loading, something like that then went into black screen and it said I cant remember about click ctrl & R or soething that to repair or formmatting then I bring it to my school till the tech guy said there are lots of error mistake cant fix it then he fix more more which I dont trust him so I took my harddrive to my mom's best friend's husband to look up till he called my mom's home that it is fired that is all.

I think your drive had bad sectors that stopped the operating system to function . These bad sectors are tend to spread all over the drive as time passes. So the drive cannot be used at all in the end.

I had a smilar situation with my hard drive six years ago!!!! The operating system stopped to run and I seeked for a software that can fix dard drive . My drive was of Western Digital and I used The Data life Guard program . I booted the system with the disk that the program made . I scanned the drive and the program found out a few bad sectors and fixed them . After all , I 'erased' the drive in order to get rid of the bad sectors and setup everything again.

Perhaps , the manufacturer of your hard drive has a smilar program that might help you with this . I cannot guarantee anything but at least give a try

Good luck :)

Y said:
oh, starrygaze, Can u hear anything ?

I'm stoned Deaf and
I NEVER heard of any Bombs in my entire life yet ;)

This does mean obviously that I cannot hear
anything from my own PC etc.

I am stone deaf. I appreicate your question. if you are not sure only you can feel vibration like aloud or noise then bad hard drive. :)

Sorry to hear .... :dunno: ....a deep fried hard drive burger ? hehe :giggle: :giggle:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 6
Back