Mainstream V Special School

Your child is then, one of the lucky ones and you have managed to be involved with an above average early intervention program. Most children are assessed every 3 years rather than every 3 months.

What is assessed as a slight delay at age 3 very quickly becomes a delay significant to impact functioning when concepts become more complicated as the child gets older. It is a cummulative occurrance.

Country wide IFSP's must be done every 6 months, not 3 years. IEP's (after age 3) must be done every 12 months.

you already have language, your deaf child doesn't. What this preschool will be doing will be trying to develop language skills for your child. you want her to be prepare by the time she get to school

That is why they have Early Intervention before pre-school, so no child shows up at 3 without language.

you already have language, your deaf child doesn't. What this preschool will be doing will be trying to develop language skills for your child. you want her to be prepare by the time she get to school

You are correct there. It is much much easier for one to learn a second language when they have fluency in a first language to assist the learning process. A child without functional language at the age of 3 attempting to learn ASL as their first language is at a disadvantage.

Country wide IFSP's must be done every 6 months, not 3 years. IEP's (after age 3) must be done every 12 months.

IEP's are based on the current assessment. An actual assessment is only done, by law, every 3 years.

That is why they have Early Intervention before pre-school, so no child shows up at 3 without language.

I have seen numerous children who did not even get to early invention before the age of 3, and many of those had virtually no functional language.

It is wise to keep in mind, that with early intervention, it is considered acceptable for a child entering intervention to be as much as a year and a half delayed. That is, a child who is a year and a half delayed would be considered to be developing language as expected.:cool2:

IEP's are based on the current assessment. An actual assessment is only done, by law, every 3 years.

Assessments must be done in order to write goals and evaluate whether past goals have been met. Those must be done with every IEP.

A complete assessment of all areas must be done every three years to determine if a child still qualifies for special education.

Any teacher who is only assessing language tri-annually is a bad teacher. They should be formally and informally tracking language and taking data, including language samples CONSTANTLY!

I have seen numerous children who did not even get to early invention before the age of 3, and many of those had virtually no functional language.

It is wise to keep in mind, that with early intervention, it is considered acceptable for a child entering intervention to be as much as a year and a half delayed. That is, a child who is a year and a half delayed would be considered to be developing language as expected.:cool2:

Where on earth do you live???

In my exerience 6,6,6 is the standard. Screened by 6 days old, amplification by 6 weeks old, early intervention by 6 months old.

Assessments must be done in order to write goals and evaluate whether past goals have been met. Those must be done with every IEP.

A complete assessment of all areas must be done every three years to determine if a child still qualifies for special education.

Any teacher who is only assessing language tri-annually is a bad teacher. They should be formally and informally tracking language and taking data, including language samples CONSTANTLY!

You are confused. A teacher making note of what she has observed regarding progress and goal completion is what is needed to evaluate whether goals are being met. That is not an assessment. An assessment requires several instruments being used to assess the particular item you are examining, and must be done by someone trained and licensed to do such assessments.

Where on earth do you live???

In my exerience 6,6,6 is the standard. Screened by 6 days old, amplification by 6 weeks old, early intervention by 6 months old.

You have not been in this field as long as I have. And are limited to only one area of the country. Deaf children are not limited to being born in that area.:cool2:

You are confused. A teacher making note of what she has observed regarding progress and goal completion is what is needed to evaluate whether goals are being met. That is not an assessment. An assessment requires several instruments being used to assess the particular item you are examining, and must be done by someone trained and licensed to do such assessments.

And that is required at every IEP, at least in my state.

And that is required at every IEP, at least in my state.

Observational statements are required at every IEP. Assessments are not. That is why the law makes the distinction of every 3 years for assessment.

You have not been in this field as long as I have. And are limited to only one area of the country. Deaf children are not limited to being born in that area.:cool2:

Ask any Early interventionist, audiologist, state health department, and they will say the same- 6, 6, 6.

Observational statements are required at every IEP. Assessments are not. That is why the law makes the distinction of every 3 years for assessment.

A multi-facited, tri-annual assessment is different from the annual IEP language assessments that are required.

Ask any Early interventionist, audiologist, state health department, and they will say the same- 6, 6, 6.

That is the standard. The whole story can only be known by discovering how often it is applied.:cool2:

A multi-facited, tri-annual assessment is different from the annual IEP language assessments that are required.

The IEP results are not assessments. They are simply behavioral observations. That is where you are confused. The two are not interchangable. Only a complete assessment tells the complete story. And that is done only once every 3 years. Behavioral assessments say only how that child was seen to perform in that particular classroom under the guidance of that particular teacher. It says nothing about a child's performance across the board. Only an assessment provides that picture.

The IEP results are not assessments. They are simply behavioral observations. That is where you are confused. The two are not interchangable. Only a complete assessment tells the complete story. And that is done only once every 3 years. Behavioral assessments say only how that child was seen to perform in that particular classroom under the guidance of that particular teacher. It says nothing about a child's performance across the board. Only an assessment provides that picture.

I am talking about annual, standardized, normed, testing done by trained professionals.

Back