Mainstream V Special School

ROXYROSE

Reaction score
I want to eventually be a teacher for deaf children and was talking to my friend who has a younger brother, he is deaf and started off in a local deaf school, he did not get on well here and chose to move to a mainstream instead, he found this alot better and was alot happier, i have looked on similar questions on here and it seems many people also think mainstream is better however some do not?

Last edited:
First question to ask is what type communication these deaf will have? Sign languages,spoken English, ???. And how far mainstream school is willing accommodate them...

Now, do you want us to debate for your class?There is a rule against that.I noticed you have "wannabteacher" under your screenname.

Last edited:
I am all for the deaf school. The deaf child need to be with other children like him/her. If a deaf child is very lonely at a mainstream school, how do you think that would affect the child's ability to learn at school? And the child's confidence? (I often eat alone at work so I know how that is.)

I don't like having to pick between a deaf school or an education on par with the hearing school because I want both for the deaf children. Of course, ASL is to be the primary language at the deaf school as I don't want a child to miss a thing. If the child have the talent to speak, go ahead and have speech therapy after school. Yes, that is right. Speech therapy should never interfere with their education. (I have taken speech therapy both at an oral school for the deaf and at college where ASL is used - I learned more at the latter than the former.)

As for which language to use, this is no brainer. ASL al the way through from the time they are babies. To those who think any sign language shouldn't be used at all.... if it is okay to take away the deaf child's natural method of getting a language, then it is okay to take away the hearing child's natural method of getting a language... just don't use your voice ever and expect the hearing child to lipread and understand perfectly. Whisk the child away whenever you hear spoken language just like a parent would do to a deaf child if there is a signing deaf person(s) around. You think it is silly and downright stupid to do that to a hearing child.... exactly what I think of the oral philosophy for the deaf child.

I am really sad that the hearing educators don't really listen to the deaf adults. I think for that reason alone, the deaf education should be returned to the deaf people/educators.

To the first person who responded

HEY, what is the rule? I am not a teacher.. I wanna be one! Im at university studying to become a teacher, in my last year at the moment. ??? and no i do not want a debate for me class? i dont have a class???? I am trying to look into what is best for deaf pupils for my own understanding...is there a rule against that?

Lighthouse

???? I am not doing a questionaire, survey or assignment??? just because I am university dosnt mean I am doing a quiz on here. I am interested in being a teacher hense the name 'wannabeteacher' and so am chatting on here and discussing what is better mainstream or special schools, there are many similar titles, so i am breaking no rules

I am all for the deaf school. The deaf child need to be with other children like him/her. If a deaf child is very lonely at a mainstream school, how do you think that would affect the child's ability to learn at school? And the child's confidence? (I often eat alone at work so I know how that is.)

I don't like having to pick between a deaf school or an education on par with the hearing school because I want both for the deaf children. Of course, ASL is to be the primary language at the deaf school as I don't want a child to miss a thing.

Yes i totally agree! there shouldn have to be a choice, both should be equal and efficent! I see what your saying about deaf child bing with other deaf children but my friends younger brother felt he wanted to be around people who could here also and so he didnt feel so excluded? I suppose this is different for each chhild.

Last edited by a moderator:
RoxyRose,I was a Mainstreamed oral deaf from preschool to 12th grade. No ASL whatsoever.

Let's just say it was very lonely. And all that speech and such, well, I still keep to myself because I don't know how to communicate the way hearing people communicate. Maybe one - in-one conversation but that's the far as I can go. but My friends who are in school are gone now. I'm left with family and my husband. But I guess that's normal for many people who are settled down and have family.

Anyway, alot of my posts is about being in mainstream.

Mod note:

Let me be clear here, there is no rules broken here. What the other moderator states in another thread that there is tons of information in this forum that some new members can look up to find usable answer. Members doing some survey or asking some sort of questions is not breaking a rules, just simply remind them and provide a link to assist them.

If they have questions they can post in that thread.

Thank you.

To answer your question, I dont think mainstreaming is better for a majority of deaf children. We just had a former student who left us to be mainstreamed return today after a year and half of being gone. I was shocked to see her back and soooo thrilled! I was mainstreamed myself and was very unhappy.

Mod note:

Let me be clear here, there is no rules broken here. What the other moderator states in another thread that there is tons of information in this forum that some new members can look up to find usable answer. Members doing some survey or asking some sort of questions is not breaking a rules, just simply remind them and provide a link to assist them.

Thank you.

thank you

Yes i totally agree! there shouldn have to be a choice, both should be equal and efficent! I see what your saying about deaf child bing with other deaf children but my friends younger brother felt he wanted to be around people who could here also and so he didnt feel so excluded? I suppose this is different for each chhild.

How old is that child? How much of hearing loss in DB if possible?

Mod note:

Thank you.

personally, I don't think I really want them to bring up old threads.

Mod note:

Thank you.
Sorry about that. I must have misunderstood the thread.

I went to a day deaf school all my life. I had great memories even though, I knew there were not that great with academic system on the side. I had no problem growing up in deaf schools. I even loved deaf sports. Sure, I have joined hearing softball teams for years. It's so convenient everything out there. I feel that my old deaf school have shaped me up for being myself and wasn't feeling so anxiety around hearing people. Sometimes I make a move first to bring up any news to make hearing people feel comfortable talking to me. I can't think of anything of right now.

Mod note:

Thank you.

Yea, I think its the child that decides in the end which is better for them, as every child is different, like my friends brother didnt get on with it, but the child returning to your school did. If only both special schools and mainstream were amazing enough to be best either way.

I want to eventually be a teacher for deaf children and was talking to my friend who has a younger brother, he is deaf and started off in a local deaf school, he did not get on well here and chose to move to a mainstream instead, he found this alot better and was alot happier, i have looked on similar questions on here and it seems many people also think mainstream is better however some do not?

I was a mainstream student. I think if you added the numbers, you would find very few here who support mainstream for deaf children.

Back